New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I will ask again, when the Bible was compiled in the 300s which acts of violence did it incite? I think it is clear why you and others won’t answer this question ;) 

The Council of Nicea -- called by the Emperor Constantine -- codified Christianity as the sole "imperial religion" of the entire Roman Empire.  This meant that the religion had the "official sanction" of the imperial state and thus received the backing by "official" violence that such a sanction inherently contains.  It wasn't so long thereafter that the persecutions of Jews and pagans in the Eastern Roman Empire started to ramp up significantly.

The "incitement to violence" was inherent within the very compilation of the Bible as part of the ongoing imperial Roman project.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The Council of Nicea -- called by the Emperor Constantine -- codified Christianity as the sole "imperial religion" of the entire Roman Empire.  This meant that the religion had the "official sanction" of the imperial state and thus received the backing by "official" violence that such a sanction inherently contains.  It wasn't so long thereafter that the persecutions of Jews and pagans in the Eastern Roman Empire started to ramp up significantly.

The "incitement to violence" was inherent within the very compilation of the Bible as part of the ongoing imperial Roman project.

Which acts of violence did they incite by the compilation of the Bible? You all continue to make the point, that the Bible is used to justify actions, not incite them. I’m glad we agree on the facts, you all just keep using a word that doesn’t mean what you think it means.

16 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Even the OT law isn’t inciting violence, it is a record of the legal system of a nation that ceased to exist 2000 years ago. It does not command anybody living today to commit any violence nor does it attempt to encourage such.

“Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets; I came not to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished” (Matthew 5:17-18).

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Which acts of violence did they incite by the compilation of the Bible? You all continue to make the point, that the Bible is used to justify actions, not incite them. I’m glad we agree on the facts, you all just keep using a word that doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Again, the compilation of the the Bible "incited" acts of both official and unofficial anti-semitism and anti-paganism through its adoption as the imperial religion because of the inherent violence of receiving imperial sanction.  In other words, its very existence essentially acts as "incitement". 

The notions of "incitement" and "justification" here are effectively a distinction without a difference.

• Like 1

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

The notions of "incitement" and "justification" here are effectively a distinction without a difference.

They are not distinctions without a difference, that is absolute non-sense.

For example, If I were to go out and murder a bunch of Slavs and said “Wade told me to do it!”, that we be incorrect. You did not direct me to do that, you aren’t culpable for the murders in that sense...but your ardent opposition to Slavs can absolutely be the basis of my justification for the murders.

Those aren’t the same thing and you would be treated significantly differently in the legal system if you merely created an atmosphere of opposition to Slavs as opposed to directly calling for the murder of Slavs.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They are not distinctions without a difference, that is absolute non-sense.

For example, If I were to go out and murder a bunch of Slavs and said “Wade told me to do it!”, that we be incorrect. You did not direct me to do that, you aren’t culpable for the murders in that sense...but your ardent opposition to Slavs can absolutely be the basis of my justification for the murders.

Those aren’t the same thing and you would be treated significantly differently in the legal system if you merely created an atmosphere of opposition to Slavs as opposed to directly calling for the murder of Slavs.

The fact that I created such an atmosphere and was able influence you to do so means that I well and truly am just as culpable -- if not moreso! -- as your direct action and should be punished in at very least an identical manner.  There really is no difference between that and me telling you directly to do it, and the legal system is wrong for recognizing differently.

I stand by my original statement.

• Like 1

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

The fact that I created such an atmosphere and influence you to do so means that I well and truly am just as culpable as your direct action and should be punished in an identical manner.  There really is no difference between that and me telling you directly to do it.

I stand by my original statement.

If this is correct, anybody could be held responsible for any crime committed because people can find justification in anything. People on this board complain every day about how awful Trump is, some even stating their desire for his death, and if one of us lions who post here decided to take matters into our own hands there is not remotely the same culpability as if one of us called specifically the murder of the man to a person likely to go through with it.

Just now, sblfilms said:

If this is correct, anybody could be held responsible for any crime committed because people can find justification in anything. People on this board complain every day about how awful Trump is, some even stating their desire for his death, and if one of us lions who post here decided to take matters into our own hands there is not remotely the same culpability as if one of us called specifically the murder of the man to a person likely to go through with it.

How unfortunate that we all won't be able to bask in his (or her!) glory :(

13 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I wasn't talking about fascists.  I was talking about the limp wristed liberals on this board. 

14 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm thankful that the Supreme Court has a narrow view on the freedom of speech and the press this particular subject.  We don't need to be any more Orwellian than we already are.  I'm actually disappointed in most of the liberals on this board for taking such a backwards stance on this particular subject.   

Edited for clarity

I see one conservative and one liberal and one person who can't be described arguing against your position, with many liberals arguing for it. 

What did I miss?

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

How unfortunate that we all won't be able to bask in his (or her!) glory :(

Oh you :p 

Alright, I’m off to mow the yard now. Will try to be moderately productive :lol:

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Boyle was one of several voices on the same side of this argument. He wasn't even the first one to come in to disagree with sbl's stance. That was me. 

Reading really helps. :p 

Yeeaaahhh, this doesn't really contradict anything. Seems like you're more prone to call someone pedantic if they disagree with you. :p