Court Blocks Trump Administration From Asking About Citizenship in Census

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Let's be very precise, because it should a redline moment.

If Trump delays the printing of the census to attempt to come up with another rationale for putting the question on the census and thus running it back through the courts that is a lot of things, but it is not a Constitutional crisis.

If Trump says to hell with it and attempts to order Ross to print and conduct the census with the question with no further  court wrangling that is a Constitutional crisis. Sadly, this seems plausible, I can see Congressional GOP members shrugging their shoulders and saying, "if people don't like the question they don't have to answer it". We'll have some partisan panels arguing about it for a news cycle. Then it will just be another partisan issue that gets forgotten about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Let's be very precise, because it should a redline moment.

If Trump delays the printing of the census to attempt to come up with another rationale for putting the question on the census and thus running it back through the courts that is a lot of things, but it is not a Constitutional crisis.

If Trump says to hell with it and attempts to order Ross to print and conduct the census with the question with no further  court wrangling that is a Constitutional crisis. Sadly, this seems plausible, I can see Congressional GOP members shrugging their shoulders and saying, "if people don't like the question they don't have to answer it". We'll have some partisan panels arguing about it for a news cycle. Then it will just be another partisan issue that gets forgotten about.

There is also a second way that the executive could be in violation of the constitution: Delay the census past the ten-year mandated cycle in order to add the question.

The question is, what are the actual consequences for either ignoring SCOTUS now or delaying past the 10-year cycle dictated by the constitution? The results will likely stand either way.

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

You know that expression "constitutional crisis" that gets thrown around a lot?

This is *literally* it.

My understanding is that this will be enjoined at light speed if it does happen. Trump's reaction to that will determine if this is a true Constitutional crisis.

While I am not absolutely sure, I think the dumb thing here is that Trump chose the path of playing chicken with John Roberts when he didn't have to.

My first reaction to the original SCOTUS ruling was that, putting all the legal wrangling and logistics aside, whether Trump would manage to get the question reheard at the court and put back on probably depended upon whether Roberts truly wanted the question gone, or if he just wanted(as many astute observers said) Trump to lie more convincingly.

There's a very good chance that it was the latter, and with a better pretext they might have found a more amiable Roberts. An Executive action seems to me to be a declaration that Trump is not going to bother with any of that. Instead he's saying, "I'm gonna do what I want, and I dare you to try to stop me."

It may be the same play that some think he played on Mueller. Bet that they'll back down instead of forcing a Constitutional crisis. And Roberts very well may. But I am not sure Trump is even giving him much of a procedural leg to stand on to rule in his favor with an executive order....

Just now, Jwheel86 said:

Let's say Trump does it, Supreme Court says no, Trump does it anyway. Then what? Can they jail Ross and Barr? 

Who is going to arrest them?  Who is going to prosecute them?

The Executive branch controls law enforcement actions so if the Executive branch doesn't want to enforce the will of the Judicial branch, who will?

2 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Let's say Trump does it, Supreme Court says no, Trump does it anyway. Then what? Can they jail Ross and Barr? 

Then the flaws of our system are ultimately exposed, as the Executive-directed DOJ does nothing, and Congress does nothing. 

• Thanks 1