High end 1080P or low end 4K TV

Bataar

What would you recommend, a high end, 1080P TV or a low end, 4K set? I have a high end Samsung 1080P TV from 2015 and am thinking about upgrading to 4K. I can't afford a high end system right now, but was looking at some of the Visio systems in the < $500 range. Obviously, the 4K is higher resolution than what I have now, but would everything else be just as good?

2 hours ago, Bataar said:

What would you recommend, a high end, 1080P TV or a low end, 4K set? I have a high end Samsung 1080P TV from 2015 and am thinking about upgrading to 4K. I can't afford a high end system right now, but was looking at some of the Visio systems in the < $500 range. Obviously, the 4K is higher resolution than what I have now, but would everything else be just as good?

The Vizio M series or the TCL 6 series are the best bang for the buck and can be had for around $600. The M series has high input lag though.

29 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

I hardly see 1080p TVs much these days.  My local Best Buy had like two models on display last time I was there.

There's nothing stopping these manufactures from adding features like HDR to 1080p sets, but 4K is the hotness now.

Maybe the 1080p panels are comparatively costlier to make at this point due to lower production volumes? Which would explain not adding other features to them.

I think you should base your decision on how many of your devices output 4k content.  If you don't have a means to watch a lot of 4k content, you might as well just hold off on a TV upgrade until you do.

You can also keep an eye for clearance buys.  You can get a mid-range 4k set around $500 when they go on clearance.

See if your TV is reviewed here and then check out a couple of budget 4k reviews to best see what you would be losing or gaining: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Maybe the 1080p panels are comparatively costlier to make at this point due to lower production volumes? Which would explain not adding other features to them.

In the more recent Best Buy ad I think they have quite a few tv's on sale in the 50-60" range ranging in price from $300-500. Most say 4k HDR. Meanwhile in the same ad a 32" 1080p Samsung tv was $300.  Crazy stuff. 

I would personally keep the tv you have now unless you have a ton of 4k content ready to watch and play. I'm using a plasma TV from 2013 that l still get compliments on all the time whenever somebody comes over. We have a 43" LG 4k HDR tv in the bedroom that usually just streams Netflix. It was a cheaper set so while I can notice the resolution difference, it still isn't THAT amazing especially compared to my plasma that has much better blacks. I'll only replace my plasma someday with an oled or a really high end Qled from Samsung. 

Good 4K HDR content is well worth the upgrade if you have the equipment to do it justice.  Going too cheap into it may lead to disappointment and wondering what all the hype is about.  Having said that - on the cheaper end of the spectrum, something that will get you decent enough results to impress without breaking the bank is the Vizio P-series.  I wouldn't compromise down the the M-series, personally, but the P-series I've spent some time with at a friend's house and it is incredible for how little it costs.  

If you can't afford that, personally, I wouldn't jump to a new TV at this point.  Keep saving the pennies until you can make it worthwhile and enjoy your high-end 2015 1080p set in the meantime.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:14 PM, AndyD said:

My brother has the LG oled 86.  I can't tell it's any better than my Sony 1080p TV from years back.  Granted I haven't really seen any 4k hdr content on it though 

That's your problem. 1080p on a 4k TV looks like, well, 1080p. :p 

15 hours ago, number305 said:

From my experience you will notice more of a difference with hdr and an oled screen, than you will notice extra resolution. 

I agree that HDR is a much bigger differentiator than the resolution bump, but there are many TV's out there that advertise HDR, that do a poor job with it and don't have the sort of impact that makes HDR great.

Well CES is almost here and should maybe see some lower tv prices on last years models soonish. I actually upgraded my 51” 1080p Samsung Plasma during our Canadian Boxing Day/Week of bargains. Gave my old tv to my brother and he couldn’t be happier and I now have a Sony 55” 4K/Dolby Vision set (55X900F) Movies look great but still love the image my 4K e-shift JVC projector produces for my UHD/Video Games

We got my dad a 65" TCL 6 series tv. 4k with both HDR formats supported. Bestbuy had it for $970 before Christmas. 

It looks pretty good. It has great reviews all around the internet. The picture isn't quite as good as my LG OLED 4k, but it cost the same as my 55" to get the TCL in a 65". Still good value. 

Do not go so low end you do not get HDR support. IMO HDR makes the picture. 4k on its own just isn't enough. 

On 12/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, DarkStar189 said:

I would personally keep the tv you have now unless you have a ton of 4k content ready to watch and play. I'm using a plasma TV from 2013 that l still get compliments on all the time whenever somebody comes over. We have a 43" LG 4k HDR tv in the bedroom that usually just streams Netflix. It was a cheaper set so while I can notice the resolution difference, it still isn't THAT amazing especially compared to my plasma that has much better blacks. I'll only replace my plasma someday with an oled or a really high end Qled from Samsung. 

Came here to say go to a pawn shop and get a good plasma. I have a 1080i plasma that has better image quality than most newer cheap displays.