PIxar's Onward Trailer and Discussion Thread (In theaters 03/06/20)

Pikachu

45 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

How dare he not enjoy the aesthetic of the movie. Maybe he should buy a movie theater so he can act like he knows what he's talking about! :o

He wasn’t talking about the aesthetic when he described the similarities between this and HTTYD ;) 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The handful of reviews that I read are comparing this to Monsters University in terms of quality. Which would be pretty decent, but nothing worth returning to again.

This is why it’s silly to generalize original Pixar films as being preferable to sequels. Toy Story 4 was top tier Pixar and this new original film is looking to middle tier Pixar.

Maybe Disney wants to get the younger generation into the Simpsons. I mean, I was half expecting Disney to find a way to gracefully end the series so that they can focus on their own IPs, but with this short it seems like they are hoping to continue to build the brand. This is some weird corporate synergy, folks.

So... uhh... has anyone actually seen this yet? There seems to be so little hype and talk surrounding this compared to other Pixar movies. It reminds me of when The Good Dinosaur came out (which is largely considered to be lesser Pixar even though I liked it far more than most people).

33 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

So... uhh... has anyone actually seen this yet? There seems to be so little hype and talk surrounding this compared to other Pixar movies. It reminds me of when The Good Dinosaur came out (which is largely considered to be lesser Pixar even though I liked it far more than most people).

No time this weekend, but I would like to. Might have more time with the lady later this week.

We saw it... it is good not great. It was a little better than I expected based on the my lukewarm reaction to the trailers and early buzz.

I really thought the entire world they built was pretty uninspired and I also found the art style / character models to be pretty meh. It starts kinda slow but the builds toward something decent.

They could have called this movie Chekov's Onward. I think this movie does the "here's a thing... and hey! 5-10 minutes later, the thing pays off!" about 20 times.

I thought Spiderman did a good job of giving his fairly standard unconfident protagonist character some life, but I did not like Starlord brother. Not that starlord did a bad job, but he was such a flaming stereotype... we've literally seen this exact character 100 times.

It's lower tier Pixar, but nowhere near the bottom of the barrel. It's a fun, above average, kinda forgettable kids movie, but I give it a thumbs up. My kids both loved it and my wife who thought the trailers looked awful really liked it a lot and was not expecting to.

The Simpson's short felt like it was written by people who had never watched an episode of the Simpsons.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Disney+ so quickly is even more surprising than going to streaming.

For myself, as someone who would have seen it in theaters and has Disney+, I'll just wait until April 3rd. 

I suppose they're just taking this as an opportunity to boost Disney+.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Disney knows what’s up. Theaters aren’t coming back any time soon.

Certainly true. I was expecting the movie going on sale and then bring up for renting soon after. On Disney+ in two weeks? That's something else entirely.

Thinking about it a bit more, could we be getting ready to see a ton of movies in theaters for only very short runs unless they're smash successes one theaters are open again? I have to imagine that with so many movies getting pushed out, that means either EVERYTHING is getting pushed out or we'll see studios being quick to pull the trigger on bringing movies to streaming services at least for the next couple of years. However, if that happens, I can't imagine it being very easy to uncork viewer expectations.

25 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Certainly true. I was expecting the movie going on sale and then bring up for renting soon after. On Disney+ in two weeks? That's something else entirely.

Thinking about it a bit more, could we be getting ready to see a ton of movies in theaters for only very short runs unless they're smash successes one theaters are open again? I have to imagine that with so many movies getting pushed out, that means either EVERYTHING is getting pushed out or we'll see studios being quick to pull the trigger on bringing movies to streaming services at least for the next couple of years. However, if that happens, I can't imagine it being very easy to uncork viewer expectations.

The theatrical window will forever be shrunk. I’m guessing 4 weeks max, followed by 4 weeks VOD, and then subscription streaming. There is still value in theatrical, but everything is about quarterly earnings. Wringing a movie dry as fast as possible is the way forward.

We actually hardly keep movies more than 3 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to catch this movie around four weeks ago, just half a week before major chains would begin closing their doors. It feels like a lifetime ago.

Overall the movie was a better and more interesting movie than what was being sold in the marketing. The most interesting thing about the movie is the ending, which is a real gut punch and one of those special endings that re-contextualizes everything else that came before. I think those who wrote this movie and originally ignored it before the quarantine are going to be surprised by how affecting this ending is.

The animation here was beautiful as always, so overall I'm glad I caught this in a theater before they all closed. I love how Pixar has never once phoned-in the animation for one of their feature films. The world of each movie is meticulously crafted, and this movie is no exception. I will admit that some of the character designs were maybe a bit too cartoony for my tastes but overall I really admired the backgrounds and attention to detail.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I cried during the final 10 minutes of the film, and I enjoyed the journey there. Worth a watch especially if you already have D+

I thought the movie was mostly forgettable, but the ending was ridiculously good. Almost makes you want to re-watch the film.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, Mercury33 said:

Just watched it and I thought it was really good. Sure the morale or whatever was pretty obvious but it was executed really well. Still cried like a baby at the end of the movie. Really liked it a lot. 

Spoiler

It reminded me of when my dad passed away and I couldn't stay in the room. I couldn't stop crying watching him slip away.

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

My wife has been bemoaning the lack of quality drive-ins anywhere near us.

There are so many suuuuper ghetto ones. Drive in people are usually swamp people, TBH.