PIxar's Onward Trailer and Discussion Thread (In theaters 03/06/20)

Pikachu

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm just glad that Pixar is allegedly done with sequels to existing franchises after Toy Story 4.

Hard to believe, but I’m good with it if they do.

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm just glad that Pixar is allegedly done with sequels to existing franchises after Toy Story 4.

Is this something they've actually said? A quick google search didn't find any mention of that.

I was writing up my reasons that I wouldn't believe it even if they said so, but then I re-read that you specified existing franchises. The only existing franchise that I might expect a sequel for is the Incredibles, and given the 14 year gap between the first two I would be surprised if a third is in the works at this point.

9 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Is this something they've actually said? A quick google search didn't find any mention of that.

I was writing up my reasons that I wouldn't believe it even if they said so, but then I re-read that you specified existing franchises. The only existing franchise that I might expect a sequel for is the Incredibles, and given the 14 year gap between the first two I would be surprised if a third is in the works at this point.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/pixar-doesnt-have-any-more-sequels-planned-after-2019-1783010734

THEY FORGOT JOHN RATZENBERGER omg

This is the first Pixar movie with Julia-Louis Dreyfus since A Bug's Life in 1998.

Also interesting that the cast is definitely bigger than it's ever been. You normally don't get an ALL-STAR CAST with a Pixar movie. Chris Pratt? Tom Holland? Damn, two of the big young guys and they're both in Marvel movies. Compare that to the cast of Coco, for example. Maybe Inside Out had a cast like that considering how popular many of the comedic actors were. I know I was hyped for Lewis Black, who delivered.

Also, March 2020 would make this the first spring Pixar movie I remember.

17 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

17 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Hard to believe, but I’m good with it if they do.

When the guy said, "Everything after Toy Story 4 is original," it'd be funny if they only had Onward planned when he said that and their 2021 film is Cars 4.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

how did you miss that? that news was everywhere in the headlines because I seem to remember that happening around the time Incredibles 2 was hitting theaters 

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

Look closer. The animation is light years better. 

OK... but I'm more talking about the subject matter and style. Dreamworks already primed the well for awkward relatable teenage protagonists with a plumpy friend/sidekick in a fantasy setting. It's almost as if, now that Dreamworks took the chance and proved that the formula is successful, it's safe enough for Pixar to take a stab at.

Which is not what Pixar should be doing, IMO.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

OK... but I'm more talking about the subject matter and style. Dreamworks already primed the well for awkward relatable teenage protagonists with a plumpy friend/sidekick in a fantasy setting. It's almost as if, now that Dreamworks took the chance and proved that the formula is successful, it's safe enough for Pixar to take a stab at.

Which is not what Pixar should be doing, IMO.

This seems like a pretty superficial assessment of what Pixar is doing. We don’t apply this kind of logic to somebody making something like a family drama, despite them having superficial similarities.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This seems like a pretty superficial assessment of what Pixar is doing. We don’t apply this kind of logic to somebody making something like a family drama, despite them having superficial similarities.

"Family drama" is a way more vague example than what I'm talking about, so I hope you have a better argument at your disposal. The similarities seem rather blatant to me.

10 minutes ago, Reputator said:

"Family drama" is a way more vague example than what I'm talking about, so I hope you have a better argument at your disposal. The similarities seem rather blatant to me.

You gave a broad category of setting (fantasy) and two generic character types. That is it. Your extrapolation that Pixar is trying to copy another companies winning formula based on that is beyond a stretch.

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You gave a broad category of setting (fantasy) and two generic character types. That is it. Your extrapolation that Pixar is trying to copy another companies winning formula based on that is beyond a stretch.

Those elements put together describe one of the hooks of the HTTYD series. This is not the same as saying "romantic comedy" or "teen drama", those are elements specific to one recognizable series of animated movies. You're being reductive so that you have an easier time arguing against my point.

48 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Those elements put together describe one of the hooks of the HTTYD series. This is not the same as saying "romantic comedy" or "teen drama", those are elements specific to one recognizable series of animated movies. You're being reductive so that you have an easier time arguing against my point.

Your point about the similarities itself was reductive, such that it could have applied to a number of films released by competing animation studios! You

could even apply that to other films by Pixar.

You also misunderstood my initial post regarding family dramas. I wasn’t using family drama as a descriptor, I was saying if you were to take two family dramas you would see similarities in the same vein as the supposed copy cat behavior of Pixar here.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Your point about the similarities itself was reductive, such that it could have applied to a number of films released by competing animation studios! You

could even apply that to other films by Pixar.

Forget it. You don't see the similarities between this movie and things Dreamworks has done. Fine. Other people I've talked to have. You have a propensity for drawing out pedantic arguments for 12 pages and I don't have the energy for that.

35 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Forget it. You don't see the similarities between this movie and things Dreamworks has done. Fine. Other people I've talked to have. You have a propensity for drawing out pedantic arguments for 12 pages and I don't have the energy for that.

I said the similarities are superficial, not non-existent. The superficial nature of them renders the conclusion you drew questionable. Don’t be so angry.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Set in a suburban fantasy world, Disney and Pixar’s “Onward” introduces two teenage elf brothers who embark on an extraordinary quest to discover if there is still a little magic left out there. Pixar Animation Studios’ all-new original feature film is directed by Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae—the team behind “Monsters University.” “Onward” releases in theaters on March 6, 2020.