DICE Battlefield V gameplay designer banned from Black Ops IIII for being too good

Commissar SFLUFAN

Some of those sniper shots, the crosshairs don't even look like they're anywhere near the guy. There's either some shenanigans going on there or COD still has the same shitty OP'ed sniper rifles they've refused to get rid of for years. Was thinking about getting back on COD this time but if dudes are still running around firing off random shots and getting one hit kills it looks like the same bullshit that caused me to walk away in the first place.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Some of those sniper shots, the crosshairs don't even look like they're anywhere near the guy. There's either some shenanigans going on there or COD still has the same shitty OP'ed sniper rifles they've refused to get rid of for years. Was thinking about getting back on COD this time but if dudes are still running around firing off random shots and getting one hit kills it looks like the same bullshit that caused me to walk away in the first place.

Check out the hitboxes.

COD has some pretty aggressive auto aim. Seems like the elite really know how to take advantage of it. 

I can see where people would think it was cheating, but if they did just watch it and assume he was using an aimbot and he's not, that's fucked up. 

To be safe, I spray bullets like mad and am bad at the game, and I haven't been banned yet. 

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

COD has some pretty aggressive auto aim. Seems like the elite really know how to take advantage of it. 

I can see where people would think it was cheating, but if they did just watch it and assume he was using an aimbot and he's not, that's fucked up. 

To be safe, I spray bullets like mad and am bad at the game, and I haven't been banned yet. 

No auto aim , those are flick shots done with a mouse on PC. That dude is just a monster.

8 hours ago, ThreePi said:

They put a somewhat fast firing revolver with a scope, one-hit headshot kill, and no recoil in the game? That seems like an odd decision.

seriously. after re-watching this a few times it just seems so ridiculous. a semi-auto scoped revolver with no recoil, 100% accuracy and w/ a 1984 neon print. Add to it the gigantic hit boxes...I really cant understand the popularity of the COD franchise. It jumped the shark a long time ago. 

I'm fine with no recoil, because I think recoil makes skill-based shooters less fun (you're basically relying on luck beyond the first shot, and luck is not skill, so fuck it) in general, but I also dislike one-hit kills (and low TTK in general) in skill-based games, because it takes the already fairly significant, often luck-based advantage of coming across someone with their back turned, and turns it into basically the entire way to play the game. CoD has been a conga line of dudes shooting each others' assholes for a long time, which is why it doesn't typically appeal to me.

And none of that auto-aim or bullet magnetism shit should be in the PC version period. They already disable auto-aim if you use a gamepad on PC, why would they keep any of this shit? Let skill determine hits. Simple as that. If you can't aim and shoot very well, you'll do worse, if you practice and get better, you'll place higher. Wild concept, I know, but closing the gap between the best and the worst player in a match means either that winning doesn't mean shit because it doesn't take any skill, or you fuck up closing the gap like this and skilled players know exactly how to take advantage of your "helping hands" and put down entire teams in seconds.

Man, what I wouldn't give for games like Tribes to actually do well. Fast, skill-based movement, slower, dodge-able projectile weapons, verticality up the wazoo, and no assists at all, but instead those who are not amazing at aiming and shooting can help out in other ways, like being great flag carriers, or playing defensive classes that specialize in locking down a part of the map. If someone gets the jump on you, it's not a .5 seconds kill before you can even turn around, you can come back and beat one person, or even several people, if you're great at dodging and landing airborne shots.

The complaints you guys have here, at least for me, run far deeper than just Call of Duty. I feel like console-style shooters have completely overtaken the market outside of a few niche arena shooters and dropped the average player's skill down to basically nothing. Fuck, things like advanced movement get people bitching because it's "hard to hit" people who are jumping around. Yeah motherfucker, that's the point! Aiming is a skill! It's what the entire fucking genre was built upon! Removing it as a skill makes it another genre entirely, and it's one I really find to have very little staying power, because "getting better" is either about learning the best places to camp on the map (punishing aggression and rewarding sitting in a closet) or learning how to take advantage of the built-in tweaks that make the game playable on a fucking controller.

God, I could write essay upon essay upon essay on why console-style shooters are a fucking joke that only generally appeal to dudes who want to lie down on the couch, one leg up and over the back, head hanging basically upside down, barely paying attention, getting some "mindless fun," in. No harm in that, but a lot of harm if that's the only people getting any use out of the genre. Not in terms of sales, but in terms of the genre being any good at all.

I think for me it all comes back to shit like this:

Now, whatever you think of the video itself, the very fact that you can have an entire video of trickjumps in that game alone, with no combat or headshots or anything, whatsoever, is part of the depth that made me love growing up playing Arena Shooters. Movement is so stiff and limited and sad in modern games. Yeah, a good portion of the jumps in that video are done with the help of tools, but they're possible. Movement and how to take advantage of all its quirks is a huge portion of what made games like Quake 3 amazing. It wasn't just being able to point and click on an enemy, it was about so much more than that. 

If you ever watch videos of people playing Quake or Unreal or even Kingpin and games like that, you'll note that they spend a lot of their movement time both jumping and turning around mid-jump to watch their backs. Being able to move at full speed while also watching your back is a skill you develop over time, you don't have to break your sprint all weird like in modern games. Again, the way you simply navigated the map evolved and improved as you leveled up. Something as simple as traversing a hallway could be done differently depending on how skilled a player was, not to mention whatever weapons they had at the time. It gave the game legs far longer than any shitty XP system you reset over and over to unlock weapons ever could.

Unfortunately, the tiniest bit of friction is enough to deter most people. So whatever game offers the cheapest thrills for the least amount of investment or skill requirement becomes popular, and playing an Arena Shooter to even a quarter of your max potential is basically impossible on a controller. So I just have to accept one of my favorite genres is dead outside of the few games still trying to cling onto it as their selling point, which means the genre won't evolve, because it's about recreating something old, rather than making it something better.

Ah well, at least Blackout is a lot of fun, even if it suffers from a lot of the same issues, I can at least think of it was a seriously different genre.