Live-action, R-rated "TMNT: The Last Ronin" film in development

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Tyler Burton Smith, who co-wrote the upcoming action movie 'Boy Kills World,' is penning the script for this high-body count tale.

After the success of last year’s animated hit film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Paramount Pictures is keeping turtle power going by putting a new feature project into development.

This one, however, will go beyond the realm of the all-ages material the long-standing property is known for and instead go into gritty, R-rated, territory.

Paramount is developing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin, adapting a popular storyline seen in the recent IDW comics, as a live-action feature with the intent of making it for an R-rating.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 4

I haven’t read the material, but I’m loving the fact that we are starting to see more Mature adaptations of beloved characters/material. Just watching X-Men ‘97 and I can’t believe what storylines they’re going with and the

Spoiler

DEATHS

that have happened IN 5 EPISODES

This sounds great. Growing up as a kid and teen, an R rated comic book movie/show was just a dream. Seeing Cyclops blast somebody or Wolverine slash someone just never had the weight that you wanted.  Now we got Deadpool, Logan, and The Boys/Gen V. The mature rated superhero genre is one of the few that actually excite me anymore.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Will they be the titular characters?

I don't see why that would matter. Are the Michael Bay Transformers movies not live action just because the robots are obviously CGI? Sure I'd love it if they got a high tech suit like they did with the '90s movies, especially with what they could do with today's technology, but just unless the whole movie is CGI then yeah it's live action.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

13 hours ago, legend said:

I'm down. I liked the graphic novel, but it felt like it need more room to flesh it out. Maybe a movie can do that.

Agreed. I feel like this is an instance where the movie could/should be better than the book. I liked the book a lot but it def could have been more. 

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Perhaps they want to make a movie for the game they are making from the same material.

Unfortunately, I doubt the game will ever see the light of day:

EN.SOFTONIC.COM

Black Forest Games, the studio behind the development of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin, has laid off 50% of its employees.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Brick said:

I don't see why that would matter. Are the Michael Bay Transformers movies not live action just because the robots are obviously CGI? Sure I'd love it if they got a high tech suit like they did with the '90s movies, especially with what they could do with today's technology, but just unless the whole movie is CGI then yeah it's live action.

It will be as much a live action movie as Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Unfortunately, I doubt the game will ever see the light of day:

EN.SOFTONIC.COM

Black Forest Games, the studio behind the development of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin, has laid off 50% of its employees.

Well this thread has certainly been sweet and sour.