Vietnamese billionaire sentenced to death for $44 billion fraud

WWW.BBC.COM

Truong My Lan started life as a market trader. Now, she has been convicted of stealing billions.

It was the most spectacular trial ever held in Vietnam, befitting one of the greatest bank frauds the world has ever seen.

Behind the stately yellow portico of the colonial-era courthouse in Ho Chi Minh City, a 67-year-old Vietnamese property developer was sentenced to death on Thursday for looting one of the country's largest banks over a period of 11 years.

It's a rare verdict - she is one of very few women in Vietnam to be sentenced to death for a white collar crime.

The decision is a reflection of the dizzying scale of the fraud. Truong My Lan was convicted of taking out $44bn (£35bn) in loans from the Saigon

Commercial Bank. The verdict requires her to return $27bn, a sum prosecutors said may never be recovered. Some believe the death penalty is the court's way of trying to encourage her to return some of the missing billions.

The habitually secretive communist authorities were uncharacteristically forthright about this case, going into minute detail for the media. They said 2,700 people were summoned to testify, while 10 state prosecutors and around 200 lawyers were involved.

The evidence was in 104 boxes weighing a total of six tonnes. Eighty-five others were tried with Truong My Lan, who denied the charges.

All of the defendants were found guilty. Four received life in jail. The rest were given prison terms ranging from 20 years to three years suspended. Truong My Lan's husband and niece received jail terms of nine and 17 years respectively.

"There has never been a show trial like this, I think, in the communist era," says David Brown, a retired US state department official with long experience in Vietnam. "There has certainly been nothing on this scale."

Uncle Ho would be pleased.

1684237698_HoChiMinh.thumb.jpg.5890f2315

• Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I think you mean "capital" punishment :p

Though I suppose that death through "corporal" punishment isn't out of the question! :thinking:

He said what he said.

tumblr_mgn3oxUHIG1s3uqhqo1_400.gif

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

They litteraly don't play. I honestly don't know what to think about sentencing someone to death for fraud. Jesus. 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

eat-the-rich-amphibia.gif

Convicted child rapist and murderer who is sentenced to death - woah woah woah we can't allow that!

Convicted billionaire who is sentenced to death: kylo-ren-more.jpg

• Halal 1

52 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Convicted child rapist and murderer who is sentenced to death - woah woah woah we can't allow that!

Convicted billionaire who is sentenced to death: kylo-ren-more.jpg

I don't think realistically anyone is saying to genuinely put billionaires to death, that's a disingenuous argument to make. People are just so sick of how powerful and consolidated that power is with billionaires, so much so that they get away with almost anything, that to see such a harsh repercussion on a billionaire elsewhere is refreshing. It's just indicative of how bad the billionaire problem is, not that us regular progressives want more, not less, capital punishment, but only when we say so. :p