Microsoft introduces Project xCloud - Cloud Game Streaming Service

Pikachu

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Nope, not at all. I have zero desire to rely 100% on needing a strong internet connection. 

A strong, consistent, low latency  internet connection.  My internet connection isn't bad but buffering can hide the small hiccups for streaming video/audio.  That doesn't work for gaming.

I'm of the opinion that companies continuing to push shit like this will slowly have customers actually demand better from their shitty ISPs instead of just wearily bitching about how everything should cater to how shitty their ISPs are. I believe Netflix alone accounted for a huge increase in the U.S.'s (relatively) fast increase in speeds and bandwidth, and is probably a large factor in how ISPs haven't been even more aggressive trying to cram in data caps than they already are.

So you may not be able to use it today, but hopefully a continued and unified push from the tech sector will make it more and more efficient and attractive and desirable as a consumer, so that you'll be able to play it in the not too distant future.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

I'm still skeptical about latency. MS can scale to a point to address that by putting more data centers all over the place, but there are a lot of problems in between that they can't tackle.

The thing is... there's actually not all that many games where a bit of latency would make much of a difference to the average player. People who complained about HDTV latency (which I believe often added well over 100ms of latency) were for a while considered "elitist" and "nitpicky."

I think one of the more interesting parts of this announcement is the line that "consoles are still going to be a flagship experience," and the idea that this service is a way to expand the gaming audience in general. They talk about reaching players that have never owned consoles or played Halo. The reason that stands out to me is that is not so much about what they might indicate about quality or latency, but price. If this is the lesser option, is it also going to be cheaper?

Personally, I'm very likely to stay in the high end and play most of my games on a console. Still, I'm excited by the idea of buying a game that has a digital copy like Blu Rays come with, being able to play on whatever screen I want if the my primary TV is occupied. Maybe that's not a model that works, but I like the idea.

29 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

They talk about reaching players that have never owned consoles or played Halo. The reason that stands out to me is that is not so much about what they might indicate about quality or latency, but price. If this is the lesser option, is it also going to be cheaper?

If that's truly the dream, they'd make it all free.  As in, Fortnite on mobile.

But that's extremely doubtful.  It's more than likely just PR speak.  We shouldn't gleam anything about the price from it.

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

If that's truly the dream, they'd make it all free.  As in, Fortnite on mobile.

But that's extremely doubtful.  It's more than likely just PR speak.  We shouldn't gleam anything about the price from it.

Xbox all access is $22 a month. I don't think it's unreasonable that a similar console-less bundle with streaming could be cheaper. Still, you're right about this being PR speak. It's unlikely they have any pricing finalized at this point.

I think this is totally the future.  That said, I'm not really comfortable with it.  I guess it has worked okay with movies and music.  We just won't own anything at all and be completely reliant on streaming for everything.  Someday in the future when this is the only option I'll be the old man screaming at the cloud.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

The thing is... there's actually not all that many games where a bit of latency would make much of a difference to the average player. People who complained about HDTV latency (which I believe often added well over 100ms of latency) were for a while considered "elitist" and "nitpicky."

I'll clarify. I'm skeptical that its latency can be resolved to a point I consider satisfactory. :p 

It's worth noting that this simply adds to all the other latency people already accept and there is a turning point where I think it will bother even the average gamer. But I can't speak for them, and I've done no studies to see what they'll tolerate.

29 minutes ago, Slug said:

Dude, Puzzle Quest torches my phone battery.  What, am I going to get 20 minutes of Forza?

As far as battery goes streaming a game is going to have more in common with Netflix than it does with Puzzle Quest.  All the computing will be offloaded.  You will be streaming the visuals and sending back inputs.

50 minutes ago, number305 said:

As far as battery goes streaming a game is going to have more in common with Netflix than it does with Puzzle Quest.  All the computing will be offloaded.  You will be streaming the visuals and sending back inputs.

bingo

1 hour ago, number305 said:

That's good to know. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Console gamers don't even know what latency is. These are people who consider 30fps an acceptable option and don't notice screen tearing. As long as they can play COD and Madden they'll eat this up.

Yeah, I consider the people of this forum to be pretty deep into gaming and they'll take any old shit right up the ass and make excuses for why it's fine. Streaming will do wonderfully.

30 FPS locked? "Buttery smooth."

30 FPS with drops to sub 20? "Perfectly fine."

Sub-10 FPS dips, literally looking like a compressed Youtube video in handheld mode?

On 10/7/2018 at 11:53 PM, AndrewDean84 said:

It ran fine.

If you think the average gamer is suddenly going to start having standards when it comes to streaming when they've never had any standards whatsoever before, you're hopelessly optimistic.

• Haha 1