2023 hottest year ever by wide margin

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Climate records have tumbled "like dominoes" in 2023, with temperatures far above any recorded level.

Atmosphere temperatures:

kgJ5f2M.png

More concerning, ocean temperatures:

TkqVgPi.png

The year 2023 has been confirmed as the warmest on record, driven by human-caused climate change and boosted by the natural El Niño weather event.

Last year was about 1.48C warmer than the long-term average before humans started burning large amounts of fossil fuels, the EU's climate service says.

Almost every day since July has seen a new global air temperature high for the time of year, BBC analysis shows.

Sea surface temperatures have also smashed previous highs.

"What struck me was not just that [2023] was record-breaking, but the amount by which it broke previous records," notes Andrew Dessler, a professor of atmospheric science at Texas A&M University.

The margin of some of these records - which you can see on the chart below - is "really astonishing", Prof Dessler says, considering they are averages across the whole world.

Relatedly:

WWW.USATODAY.COM

It's not just land that's sinking, so are "infrastructure hubs," said lead author Leonard Ohenhen, a graduate student at Virginia Tech’s Earth Observation and Innovation Lab.

New satellite images show the eastern U.S. coast is sinking at a faster rate than what was first reported last year, according to a new study published in the journal PNAS Nexus.

Back in September, a team of scientists out of Southern California found that the New York City metro area is sinking at an average of 0.06 inches annually, USA TODAY previously reported. That number is now 0.08 inches in some areas, according to the new study published on Jan. 2.

"The problem is not just that the land is sinking. The problem is that the hotspots of sinking land intersect directly with population and infrastructure hubs," according to a statement from lead author Leonard Ohenhen, a graduate student working with associate professor Manoochehr Shirzaei at Virginia Tech’s Earth Observation and Innovation Lab.

Ohenhen, Shirzaei and colleagues from the Earth Observation and Innovation Lab at Virginia Tech measured "vertical land motion rates" obtained from space-based radar satellites "to evaluate the subsidence-hazard exposure to population, assets, and infrastructure systems/facilities" along the East Coast, according to the study.

The maps of the terrain are the first of their kind.

Spots of Atlantic Coast sinking more than 0.2 inches annually

Satellite measurements from the study show that on top of the 74,000 square kilometers (29,000 square miles) of the Atlantic Coast losing 2 millimeters (0.08 inches) a year, over 3,700 square kilometers along the Atlantic Coast are losing more than 5 millimeters (0.2 inches) a year.

With the sea level rising 10 to 14 inches in the next three decades along the East Coast, this makes for what seems to be an inescapable situation.

But "it’s not just about sea levels,” Ohenhen said. “You also have potential to disrupt the topography of the land, for example, so you have areas that can get full of flooding when it rains.”

image.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

The worst thing about the internet is being made painfully aware of how many fucked things the future holds while being completely powerless to change any of it.

I do my best to avoid news like this because it feels hopeless. I will continue to do what I can, vote for politicians that care about climate, donate my money to good climate causes, and adopt greener technologies (heat pumps, EVs, solar panels). 

• Like 1