New Year: New Build (2024 PC Dreams)

Mr.Vic20

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Good so my cap would be roughly $3k for a new build. 

GPU you should typically go for the best you can afford if you’re going for 4k/120fps. CPU, if you’re just gaming, you can usually get the second or third from the top without a huge difference. RAM, you don’t need balls to the wall crazy speeds and latency: you should go with what’s “optimal” as after a point the gains in gaming are less than 1% to maybe 2%. For motherboard, you just want one that has the features you want/need, nothing insane unless you’re doing crazy OCing. Case wise you can just go with one that has good airflow and that you think looks good. PSU you just need enough wattage for your parts + a little headroom for upgrades down the road. You also don’t need an insane cooler to stop your CPU from throttling.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Good so my cap would be roughly $3k for a new build. 

Your budget for the "best" will depend entirely on what the best video card costs.  Currently the best costs $2k, and the next best is $1200. Previously the best was under $1500 (without the crypto tax), but you could get something almost as good for under $1k. 

Who knows what the prices will be when you're ready to build. They will probably stay about the same, but there's a chance they go down a little bit and an equal chance they go up if the A.I. boom continues.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Most do. 
The MSI Godlike series are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a good motherboard for around $300-400 typically.

If you want anything with LAN faster than 2.5 Gbps on board and 4+ nvme slots it seems you need to go up in price. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Your budget for the "best" will depend entirely on what the best video card costs.  Currently the best costs $2k, and the next best is $1200. Previously the best was under $1500 (without the crypto tax), but you could get something almost as good for under $1k. 

Who knows what the prices will be when you're ready to build. They will probably stay about the same, but there's a chance they go down a little bit and an equal chance they go up if the A.I. boom continues.

For best do you just mean the 4090 or a specific type? That started/starts at $1600, you just gotta get a cheaper one in stock.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

For best do you just mean the 4090 or a specific type? That started/starts at $1600, you just gotta get a cheaper one in stock.

I’m assuming he’s overpricing it based on the current gouging from artificial 4090 shortages. But, you can still get FE’s for $1600 if you’re patient and wait for the Best Buy drops.

Even at $1600, with a $3k budget and $1400 left over you can still easily get a 7800x3D build with a good motherboard currently :p 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

I have the board just below the god like, and still thought it was stupid expensive for a motherboard. 

Motherboard price bumps are worse than video cards tbh. Crazy-ultra top-end flagships typically used to be $600-700 range, now $500-600ish is the high-end with the crazy person level being the $1k area.

• True 1

@Mr.Vic20 I found your next motherboard!

The motherboard’s AMD WRX90 chipset offers serious Pro-grade features and includes up to 148 PCIe 5.0 lanes and up to 2TB of quad-channel DDR5 memory across eight RAM slots.

It offers four M.2 PCIe 5.0 x4 slots (two of which can accommodate the longer M.2 22110 format for higher-capacity drives), four SATA III ports, and two SlimSAS connectors to allow users to connect a large number of additional drives for a vast storage array. There are seven expansion slots – six PCIe 5.0 x16 and one PCIe 5.0 x16 (x8 mode). 

The motherboard, which is compatible with both Windows 10 (64-bit only) and Windows 11, doesn’t offer wireless or Bluetooth connectivity, but it does come with two Intel 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one Realtek  Gigabit Ethernet port.

There are a variety of USB ports, including two USB4 Type-C ports, six USB Type-A ports (USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 2), and one USB 2.0 port. No Thunderbolt though.

There’s also one VGA port, two mini DisplayPort, and two audio jacks for the Realtek ALC1220P 5.1 audio.

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

@Mr.Vic20

WWW.HARDWARETIMES.COM

NVIDIA is prepping the launch of the RTX 40 Super lineup to reinforce its midrange segment against AMD’s. At the same time, the next-gen GeForce RTX 5090 is being prepared for a late...

The GeForce RTX 5090 will be ready to launch in Q4 2024 and will likely hit retail during the holiday season to maximize sales. However, if market factors deem it unfeasible, for example, stellar RTX 4090 sales or lack of competition from AMD, then the 5090 may be pushed to a CES 2025 launch in January of the following year.

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

• Hype 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Mr.Vic20 @Spork3245

Don't count on or hold your breath for more than two fast DDR5 sticks in your builds

TLDW:  2 sticks more stable and faster, 4 sticks either really slow (<5200 MHz) or really unstable.

When moving from 2 DIMMs to 4 DIMMs, the signal on each channel is split between the two sticks which requires the memory controller to work harder to communicate with the memory. It's such a bigger problem with DDR5 compared to previous generations simply because the insanely high clockspeeds already require impeccable signal integrity with just a single stick per channel. This is, along with the high speed requirements of PCIE 5.0, requires motherboards to be built better to reduce EMI and one big reason mobo prices have gone up so much. Now could future CPUs with better memory controllers help this? Sure, but I wouldn't count on it as it probably requires too much of a voltage bump to be worth it. For gaming just buy bigger sticks.

There's also advice about his experience on what memory speeds at each capacity you can expect current CPUs to run at. AMD's top end is currently 6000 MTs, up to 6400 MTs if you're really really lucky; Intel is 7200 MTs, up to 8000 MTs if you're really really lucky.

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@Mr.Vic20 @Spork3245

Don't count on or hold your breath for more than two fast DDR5 sticks in your builds

TLDW:  2 sticks more stable and faster, 4 sticks either really slow (<5200 MHz) or really unstable.

When moving from 2 DIMMs to 4 DIMMs, the signal on each channel is split between the two sticks which requires the memory controller to work harder to communicate with the memory. It's such a bigger problem with DDR5 compared to previous generations simply because the insanely high clockspeeds already require impeccable signal integrity with just a single stick per channel. This is, along with the high speed requirements of PCIE 5.0, requires motherboards to be built better to reduce EMI and one big reason mobo prices have gone up so much. Now could future CPUs with better memory controllers help this? Sure, but I wouldn't count on it as it probably requires too much of a voltage bump to be worth it. For gaming just buy bigger sticks.

There's also advice about his experience on what memory speeds at each capacity you can expect current CPUs to run at. AMD's top end is currently 6000 MTs, up to 6400 MTs if you're really really lucky; Intel is 7200 MTs, up to 8000 MTs if you're really really lucky.

FWIW most people seem to be able to get 6800mhz x4 at a minimum with Z790 motherboards (Z690s are a no-go for whatever reason). With AM5 getting 4 sticks past 5200-5600 seems to be pure luck currently. With current AM5 there really doesn’t seem to be much benefit with going beyond 6000mhz from what I’ve seen.

I have no idea why Corsair has yet to release DDR5 dummy RAM RGB Sticks like they did with DDR4.

42 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

@cusideabelincoln

I opted for 2x24Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 8200Mhz DDR5. I'll upgrade that to a 64Gb kit *IF* proof of need emerges anytime prior to 2026, which would be the next new build after this year's upgrade. 

I don’t know what any of this means but I am positive it’s bad ass lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, the next component of my 2024 build has been selected:

RAM - Dominator Titanium (:lol: these sad ass tough guy names!) 48Gb kit @8,000Mhz 

DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB DDR5 Memory | CORSAIR

I thought you’d pick up the BitchMaker 48 GB kit instead. 

• Haha 2

Next up, fan kits! I've just received 2 of these 3 pack kits + 1 extra fan for the rear exhaust. These are all the Corsair iCue Link fans. I've also opted for an AIO cooling loop so that all of these fans an the AIO are on the same controller. 

CORSAIR QX RGB Series, iCUE LINK QX120 RGB, 120mm Magnetic Dome RGB Fan, Starter  Kit - Newegg.com

Like the image below, but with 3 fans on a 360MM radiator rather than the 240mm show:

Corsair iCUE LINK QX120 RGB 120mm Magnetic Dome RGB Fans - Triple Fan  Starter Kit with iCUE LINK System Hub - Black - AliExpress

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, the next component of my 2024 build has been selected:

RAM - Dominator Titanium (:lol: these sad ass tough guy names!) 48Gb kit @8,000Mhz 

DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB DDR5 Memory | CORSAIR

I think you can 3D print your own tops for these, or buy different ones.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You missed your calling, your voice could be on radio!

I use it to argue with contractors that sometimes out weigh me by 100 lbs,  so I'm definitely not properly leveraging my voice, but its kept a few of them from punching me in the face, so that's something! :lol: 

• Hype 1

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Mr.Vic20 My memory is garbage but what did you, Wade, and the other fellow on here do with talking about games and such? It was a monthly thing but I can't remember anything except your sexy manly voice. 

We mostly just shot the shit about big news in gaming and such. For my part, I drank waaay to much coffee and talked my ass off! :sun:

• Haha 1