New Year: New Build (2024 PC Dreams)

Mr.Vic20

On 12/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

As is tradition for me, When the Christmas break desends upon me, I begin the search for new build parts! :sun: Please meet the very first part of what will ultimately house a 5090/Whatever the best CPU is at the time the 5090 drops. 

This PC case has a touchscreen, and it's not just a gimmick | Digital Trends

I just orderd this case and while it is back ordered until the end of January, the new build fun has begun! Next up, figuring out my Corsair iCUE Link fan/AIO loop kit. 

THIS IS MY PLAN TOO!!

I saw the review on this case @Jay's two cents youtube channel. I am planning a 4-5k PC budget build as soon as the 5090 or 5080Ti is available! Undecided on CPU but I have time but I will not cut corners because of cost as I normally never do anyways. I have been putting a few hundred aside every month for about 3 years just for this new PC! I have NEVER had a Nvidia top GPU as I usually buy the 80Ti series but this time I'm going for the BEST that I can buy period and I think The 50 series will be just incredible. I have bought 780Ti, 980Ti, 1080Ti and now current 2080Ti. Now I'm not like MrVic as I usually do a complete new build every 3 years or so but this PC has really held it's own and has made it easily possible to hold off until a 50 series is announced and released! Pretty excited to tell the truth. I'm hoping for around 3500$ but will budget 5k to get a Tippy top PC that will again last for at least 3 years. I have only ever one time upgraded my own PC, as they are always new builds. I have passed down 5 Home built PC to family members, but this one i'm on will go to my oldest SON!

• Hype 2

Just now, best3444 said:

4K spent on something that lasts 3 years or so? 

1-2 years for Vic!

You would probably be wanting to look at a build that would be 2.5k that would be more powerful than the consoles for 6 years - so you’d probably want to build it 1-2 years after next gen starts. Then you can ride the same build for 2 years into the next gen since it will play everything fine still and then repeat.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

1-2 years for Vic!

You would probably be wanting to look at a build that would be 2.5k that would be more powerful than the consoles for 6 years - so you’d probably want to build it 1-2 years after next gen starts. Then you can ride the same build for 2 years into the next gen since it will play everything fine still and then repeat.

That's more acceptable. I'm going to have to save each paycheck until I reach that goal. It's just intimidating to spend that much. But it will be awesome to see the stuff you get to see. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

You have a lot of time so once you start working again you could put $20 aside each pay check and be ready in time!

Yep. So I'm think roughly 2028 or so is when I'd make this work. Maybe 2029. Now, is it recommended to get a really good monitor or is it fine playing on my tv?

23 minutes ago, best3444 said:

4K spent on something that lasts 3 years or so? 

I spent 3500 on the current PC after we found a new home post Camp Fire. It's easily lasted until now and will still for another 12-18 months. It's a hobby as much as anything building PC. Having some of the very best PC you can have at any current time is exciting at least to me. I've had this one over 3 year and the 5090 or 5080Ti GPUs are still at least a year away so this is a 4-5 year build I have now and I expect to get 4 at least out of the next one. I also get to give yet another gaming PC to a family member that will be very thankful. I can not do this every 1-2 years but 3-4 or 5, yea easily!

NOTE: I see my "S" key on my laptop isn't doing to well. I really don't want to upgrade that anytime soon. I see mulible mistakes in the above reply where the s didn't registure and I don't feel like editing the mistakes right now.......lol

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yep. So I'm think roughly 2028 or so is when I'd make this work. Maybe 2029. Now, is it recommended to get a really good monitor or is it fine playing on my tv?

I haven’t used a monitor for pc gaming since the 90s. I don’t personally like it myself so I always use a tv and gamepad and just play it as a supercharged console.

• Hype 1

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

I haven’t used a monitor for pc gaming since the 90s. I don’t personally like it myself so I always use a tv and gamepad and just play it as a supercharged console.

SAME

Last PC monitor I owned was when they were 12-15 inches thick and 17 inches! After using a TV I never went back. We always have top tier TVS though and many can't do that. I'm currently PC gaming on a 65" LGCX

LG has 42 inch Oleds now in their line up. That's a great size for a desk I think though I sit 6 feet away from my 65" and LOVE IT!

• Hype 2

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Fair! But it does look like a space heater from Cyber Punk doing it. :p

With the amount of fans you can put into it, I assume you can create your own wind tunnel with it :p 

k075iywckqaa1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

(There's also 2x 200mm fans in front of that panel with the small radiator)

kfwnly1dkqaa1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

block7-haf-700-mounting-imageleftorright

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It looks functional as the last day of work before a vacation is long, but damn if it doesn't also look like a Halo military equipment crate and a rave made a baby! :sadsun:

Oh, that build is f’n hideous, I just wanted a pic that showed the amount of fans it could hold :p 

Here’s a normal-person build with it: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cooler-master-haf-700-evo/6.html

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, that build is f’n hideous, I was wanted a pic that showed the amount of fans it could hold :p 

Here’s a normal-person build with it: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cooler-master-haf-700-evo/6.html

Definitely better! Still not my dish, but I won't stop and openly gawk at its hideousness! :lol:

19 hours ago, best3444 said:

We'll see what the prices are when I an going to pull the trigger. Thanks for the link though. 

Well when your ready, you'll have a ton of support, recommendations and opinions weather you want them or not! 👍

I've been addicted to building mine and my friends and families PC for almost 20 years now. If the Camp fire hadn't happened thus losing our home and cummunity / jobs, etc I would have been building every year or two but shit happens a saying that is embedded in my soul at this point. It's taken the better part of 4 1/2 years to land back on our feet. 

I had bins full of old PC parts that I miss now along with so much more. If anything fails I have little in options if needed to test sticks of ram, gpus, etc. I'll get there again soon!

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Well when your ready, you'll have a ton of support, recommendations and opinions weather you want them or not! 👍

I've been addicted to building mine and my friends and families PC for almost 20 years now. If the Camp fire hadn't happened thus losing our home and cummunity / jobs, etc I would have been building every year or two but shit happens a saying that is embedded in my soul at this point. It's taken the better part of 4 1/2 years to land back on our feet. 

I had bins full of old PC parts that I miss now along with so much more. If anything fails I have little in options if needed to test sticks of ram, gpus, etc. I'll get there again soon!

Yea I can count on you and a few others for help here which is great. 

20 hours ago, best3444 said:

We'll see what the prices are when I an going to pull the trigger. Thanks for the link though. 

That is a good example of what you’d expect to pay I think for what you’d be looking at though! It’s just one slight notch down from the extreme best. So yeah, don’t get scared by Vic’s crazy ass :P

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

That is a good example of what you’d expect to pay I think for what you’d be looking at though! It’s just one slight notch down from the extreme best. So yeah, don’t get scared by Vic’s crazy ass :P

I'll want the very best. You can have a PC built for you, correct?

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'll want the very best. You can have a PC built for you, correct?

I mean to get the very best then you ARE paying 5k or whatever for it. I would never do that myself. But the thing is there are diminishing returns so then 3k of that will be like for very small gains.

And yeah you can buy them from ibuypower or whatever or even take the parts to a best buy and they will do it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean to get the very best then you ARE paying 5k or whatever for it. But the thing is there are diminishing returns so then 3k of that will be like for very small gains.

And yeah you can buy them from ibuypower or whatever or even take the parts to a best buy and they will do it.

Ok so I don't need the very best. I dislike best buy so I won't be doing that. I'll probably build it online then have it shipped to me.