Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

On 1/24/2024 at 6:27 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I had avoided decky, because I had read that you had to reinstall it everytime SteamOS updated -- is this fixed now?

Im not sure to be honest as I don’t think I’ve updated since I installed on this one, but it’s really quick to do :P

“…we most likely will launch a second-generation [handheld gaming console] this year. We will still keep the Windows features, but we will focus more on gaming,” Su said to Techlusive.

Arnold Su — Asus India’s Vice President of Consumer and Gaming PC, System Business Group

Don’t understand the focus on more gaming. It’s already a gaming handheld. My concern is that it tries to add more software that makes it bloated. I am very happy with the performance and the current software. I don’t need more. Give me OLED, a working SD card slot, Hall effect joysticks, and a slightly bigger battery.  I’ll buy that instantly. 

28 minutes ago, Brian said:

Arnold Su — Asus India’s Vice President of Consumer and Gaming PC, System Business Group

Don’t understand the focus on more gaming. It’s already a gaming handheld. My concern is that it tries to add more software that makes it bloated. I am very happy with the performance and the current software. I don’t need more. Give me OLED, a working SD card slot, Hall effect joysticks, and a slightly bigger battery.  I’ll buy that instantly. 

10x the RGB

Talking about AR/XR stuff and being really disappointed with the Citra emulator recently released for Quest (performance isn’t there, especially in passthrough) had me firing up the 3DS on deck paired with rokid last night and man is that just about perfect. Probably the best way to play 3DS these days.

On deck it runs in 3D at 900p with async compilation and its got enough grunt to power through the compilation so its stutter free. And also just controls much better than on Quest especially with the trackpad to use for the touchscreen stuff and looks much more clear with the birdbath lenses. And it’s oled! Anyway, it’s great. 

Playing HD 3DS with the 3D display being like a 77” or so display, is pretty sweet. I need to see if I can get it so the bottom screen displays on the deck itself with the touchscreen while the rokid displays a full 3D screen by itself and then it would essentially be literally perfect.

Picked up the Trine collection which is on sale for $30 atm - includes all 5 Trine games including the latest which is only 5 months old! 

I previously got the collection (though it didn’t have 5 at the time) on the Switch when I get that oled because of the crazy contrast of these games, but was disappointed because especially 3 and 4 were so low res you couldn’t really appreciate it. I played a bit of each and all 5 of them look stunning on the oled deck. 

• Hype 1

Pro tip: If you go to desktop mode then search for “nested desktop” and right click on it and “Add to steam” then go back to game mode and launch it - you now can access the desktop from within game mode. Makes it easier when you just want to download some roms or tweek an ini.

I go back to my Deck and what do I play? TLOU Part 1 lol. After beating the Remaster of Part 2 I'm on a TLOU kick again. I just played 2 hours and I just never get tired of it. It looks pretty nice on the deck but it's the one game I think that pushes the system to its limit since it's technically a PS5 game. 

• Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...

So there's an option to do a game transfer over LAN from your PC to Steam Deck. I'm trying this out, I had to look how to do it but it just seems to do it somewhat automatically if you have it installed already (obviously). If you have both on it detects it and you choose the option when it's downloading from your PC I guess and it just transfers. 🤔

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So there's an option to do a game transfer over LAN from your PC to Steam Deck. I'm trying this out, I had to look how to do it but it just seems to do it somewhat automatically if you have it installed already (obviously). If you have both on it detects it and you choose the option when it's downloading from your PC I guess and it just transfers. 🤔

I found it to be slower than just re-downloading the game from Steam's servers, so I turned it off again.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What's more powerful, the OLED deck or Ally 2? Also, is the Ally OLED?

@stepee

Ally 2 doesn’t exist, we just know they said it might come this year. So no idea there. Ally is more powerful by idk 50% or so - though once you take it off a charger that power amount drops - but it also has a vrr screen which helps it run at better settings/fps in addition to the power boost. But it’s not oled so it sits under my tv sadly staring at me unless absolutely needed!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ally 2 doesn’t exist, we just know they said it might come this year. So no idea there. Ally is more powerful by idk 50% or so - though once you take it off a charger that power amount drops - but it also has a vrr screen which helps it run at better settings/fps in addition to the power boost. But it’s not oled so it sits under my tv sadly staring at me unless absolutely needed!

I meant Ally 1, not 2. Ok, thanks. 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

When's the next Deck coming out?

My guess would be two years, I don’t think longer, but I could see in like a year and a half.  It’s hard to say exactly how Valve looks at cycles yet. Maybe they do a new system, a pro of that new system, a new system every year and a half or smtn. But they might not look at cycles at all. Their official answer is basically when they can double performance within the same power envelope at a reasonable price. 

• Hype 1

4 hours ago, stepee said:

This is disappointing to see, if for no other reason than healthy competition is good for consumers. Though, those are some early numbers, and Intel is kinda notoriously bad with drivers early on in the life-cycle of their graphics products. Hopefully there will be some improvements shortly... 

SCITECHDAILY.COM

An innovative new chip uses light for fast, efficient AI computations, promising a leap in processing speeds and privacy. Penn Engineers have developed a new chip that...

An innovative new chip uses light for fast, efficient AI computations, promising a leap in processing speeds and privacy.

Penn Engineers have developed a new chip that uses light waves, rather than electricity, to perform the complex math essential to training AI. The chip has the potential to radically accelerate the processing speed of computers while also reducing their energy consumption.

The silicon-photonic (SiPh) chip’s design is the first to bring together Benjamin Franklin Medal Laureate and H. Nedwill Ramsey Professor Nader Engheta’s pioneering research in manipulating materials at the nanoscale to perform mathematical computations using light — the fastest possible means of communication — with the SiPh platform, which uses silicon, the cheap, abundant element used to mass-produce computer chips.

9 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So for whatever stupid reason, I bought the Dock thinking it would output to whatever resolution the TV was. But no, it still outputs at the native res for the Deck. So now i'm looking at a 720p image on a 85" 4K tv screen.

Can't you change the resolution settings in the game you're playing to go to 3840x2160?

That should be the case. If the deck is powerful enough to run the game at that resolution is another thing.

11 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So for whatever stupid reason, I bought the Dock thinking it would output to whatever resolution the TV was. But no, it still outputs at the native res for the Deck. So now i'm looking at a 720p image on a 85" 4K tv screen.

Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

You can change the output resolution.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Can't you change the resolution settings in the game you're playing to go to 3840x2160?

That should be the case. If the deck is powerful enough to run the game at that resolution is another thing.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You can change the output resolution.

Can you? I tried doing it in-game and the highest I could get was 1280x720 in a few games. Do I need to go through the dash? I couldn't figure out how to get the right-side menu to pop up, only the "guide button" menu.

Admittedly I didn't tinker with it too much last night, the wife was wanting to watch her shows. I'll give it another look this afternoon.

I'd be fine with a 1080p output, but the upscaling for the native res was a bit too much for that big of a screen.