Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Can you? I tried doing it in-game and the highest I could get was 1280x720 in a few games. Do I need to go through the dash? I couldn't figure out how to get the right-side menu to pop up, only the "guide button" menu.

Admittedly I didn't tinker with it too much last night, the wife was wanting to watch her shows. I'll give it another look this afternoon.

I'd be fine with a 1080p output, but the upscaling for the native res was a bit too much for that big of a screen. 

The Steam Deck is a handheld -- the APU is scaled to look good on a 7" screen.  Older stuff should look ok on an 85" screen. 

22 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Can you? I tried doing it in-game and the highest I could get was 1280x720 in a few games. Do I need to go through the dash? I couldn't figure out how to get the right-side menu to pop up, only the "guide button" menu.

I guess it depends on what game it is. Perhaps the game you're playing is a terrible game that doesn't have resolutions over 720p.

I was fooling around with Bright Memory Infinite the other day and since it took the settings I had set on my PC the resolution was set at 4K and it could barely run the game when I tried to turn the settings down. But yeah depending on the game you should be able to set it higher.

@XxEvil AshxX I looked into this for you since I tried out Ground Zeros and I couldn't set the resolution higher either.

It turns out before you launch the game you have to press the "start" button on the game and go to properties > general and change the game resolution from default to whatever you want. Then also check "set resolution for internal and external display"

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, best3444 said:

@stepee Did you ever try Assassin’s Creed Valhalla on your deck? It's on sale for $14.99 right now. 

I did and it plays just fine at 30fps on it and looks good - but do you really need another 100+ hour game right now :P

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I did and it plays just fine at 30fps on it and looks good - but do you really need another 100+ hour game right now :P

No I'm just being stupid. I'm juggling Elden Ring, Witcher 3, and Banishers. Then I have Rebirth this Thursday. I'm out of my mind.  😆 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone here other than myself that has an Xbox and a Steam Deck?

I wanted to see if I could get remote play going on it and there's a program called Greenlight that allows you to do it but it didn't work when I tried to log in. It was just an endless loading thing. Was it just me? Has anyone tried this out?

There's also another app but it cost $5 and yeah I'm not gonna pay for something like that. :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is there anyone here other than myself that has an Xbox and a Steam Deck?

I wanted to see if I could get remote play going on it and there's a program called Greenlight that allows you to do it but it didn't work when I tried to log in. It was just an endless loading thing. Was it just me? Has anyone tried this out?

There's also another app but it cost $5 and yeah I'm not gonna pay for something like that. :p

I do but I don't have a wired connection so streaming is out of the question for me. I got it to work with PS5 but it was an utter mess. 

10 hours ago, best3444 said:

I got it to work with PS5 but it was an utter mess. 

Yeah but from my understanding PS5 uses something else than Xbox. Even if it didn't perform well for you at least you could get it working. I can't get the app to work which is my main problem.

On 3/10/2024 at 11:21 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah but from my understanding PS5 uses something else than Xbox. Even if it didn't perform well for you at least you could get it working. I can't get the app to work which is my main problem.

I did get it working when I had an Xbox but I no longer have one so I can’t check anything in particular. I did see someone say this;

“Fixed it, you need to add a --fullscreen --no-sandbox to the launch options in order for the app to open in gaming mode“

Maybe that helps. 

Also dear Valve: Let people run games from their library twice ffs now that you have a handheld system. I hate when I turn on my deck to download something, but it has a game in sleep mode, so then it disconnects the game I’m running in my living room. At least allow one regular instance and one deck specific instance.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

“Fixed it, you need to add a --fullscreen --no-sandbox to the launch options in order for the app to open in gaming mode“

Maybe that helps.

No, because I'm not running it from gaming mode. I'm trying to get it to log in from the initial start in desktop mode. I did add it to steam and in gaming mode with those commands but it wouldn't run because it wouldn't log in, it was stuck in the initial loop.

- For more clarity when I first logged in there was a pop-up window similar to that of windows where it wants to associate the program with another program. If I don't pick something  it doesn't work, if I pick greenlight then it opens endless windows. But I tried to uninstall it so it would ask me to associate the program again and now it doesn't ask so it opens endless windows and never logs in.

@stepee I FINALLY got this working

I decided to try again and well the thing decided to sign in this time.

So I set it up with all those launch options (Seems like you don't need --fullscreen anymore) but there was another problem. I could control the dashboard but the game wouldn't recognize any input.

After many searches that turn up obscure reddit posts I found out that you have to make a controller profile that maps the guide button (which is N) so I mapped N to one of the buttons on the back. Also I made the trackpad a mouse and a mouse click so I don't have to use the touchscreen.

There was another hint for under input "Enable new gamepad driver" I don't know if this helps but I also turned it on.

So now I'm able to play Unicorn Overlord on the steam deck! spacer.png

I think it looks good for the most part. After playing it on a TV you do lose out on some of the finer details though, the artwork in this game looks the best when it's really big.

• Sicko 1
  • Hype 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I tried Forza Motorsport and Starfield on it and those look really nice too. Obviously those have native PC versions but doing this is a lot easier than getting windows on the deck or trying to use the cloud streaming thing.

Does this require a wired connection?

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Does this require a wired connection?

Check on your Dashboard and you can run a diagnostic and it will tell you if your connection is good enough or not.

The website does say it can do it over wi-fi but the requirements are this:

Internet connection

5Ghz Wi-Fi or mobile data connection 10Mbps down

Go Settings > Devices & Connections > Remote Features >

Check enable remote features, there's also an option here to test remote play

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You do realize part of the point of Steam Sales is to buy a bunch of games you'll never play because they are so cheap.

I understand how it works. I just don't care because I litteraly only wanted Arkham Knight. Now leave me alone! :s

• Sad 1

@stepee

Unbelievable. I finally called Comcast myself to get this situation under control. My mom is absolutely clueless and was paying $270 a month for shit they don't use. Plus we have a modem that is so old it is barely compatible with our current speed.

So I called and set this shit straight. I'm getting an upgraded modem in 3 days with the highest speed Comcast offers.

I lowered the bill to $175 a month by getting rid of the nonsense.

So now I will have incredible speed with nearly $100 saved from the bill a month. Finally I'll have normal speeds you guys have. 

I still won't be able to use ethernet because it's too much of a hassle where everything is located. I could do it but it's not worth it for me and my parents. 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee

Unbelievable. I finally called Comcast myself to get this situation under control. My mom is absolutely clueless and was paying $270 a month for shit they don't use. Plus we have a modem that is so old it is barely compatible with our current speed.

So I called and set this shit straight. I'm getting an upgraded modem is 3 days with the highest speed Comcast offers.

I lowered the bill to $175 a month by getting rid if the nonsense.

So now I will have incredible speed with nearly $100 saved from the bill a month. Finally I'll have normal speeds you guys have. 

I still won't be able to use ethernet because it's too much of a hassle where everything is located. I could do it but it's not worth it for me and my parents. 

There isn’t another plug where you could put a second modem anywhere in the house?