Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Depending on how the mod works I would say yes probably, but you'll have to familiarize yourself with desktop mode.

Unless it's a steam workshop thing then you can do it through steam.

I've used the desktop mode before. So you can get mods on steam?

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I go to play Skyrim (put like 6 hours in) and it shows I need to completely re-download it? Has that ever happened to you? If I list my eaves that will end my run on it. 

I’ve seen some games basically redownload themselves for patches but I don’t think Skyrim has had a big recent patch. Idk maybe just a weird bug. Steam had cloud saves for almost everything so I wouldn’t worry about it unless it happens again frequently.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@stepee Is it possible to get mods for Deck games?

Yes you should be able to set up most game mods and fixes in desktop mode. I don’t mess with mods too much though I did mod AC6 on it and use mods to fix some stuff like the DMC collection. They work pretty much the same way, you just need to learn where the directories are and stuff.

Certain things that could be considered mods like special k/reshade that inject themselves into the api won’t work but I don’t think that’s what you would be looking for.

Side note, I’ve been playing Fear 1 and 2 on the deck at 90fps and they are still awesome on this thing.

Easiest way to familiarize with desktop mode would be to follow a guide for a more common set up. Like set up Heroic for epic games (then you can play fallout 3 too). Or chiaki for ps5 streaming. Or emudeck for older games. Those will all have guides and videos and stuff. 

Then you just get mods from 

WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

We host 531,061 mods for 2,641 games from 126,945 authors serving 46,134,819 members with 9,701,485,008 downloads to date. We've donated $2,224,356 to our...

like normal for the most part. Youll just need to find the right directories which you can usually google. 

• Thanks 1

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The Steam Deck will obviously benefit from the work but so to can anyone using a Linux+Radeon combination.

tldr backend update that should hit in february I believe that should give some slight performance improvement - nothing major but cool nonetheless 

• Hype 1

Also did this last night:

Definitely the easiest way to get the other launchers on it while still being pretty clean under one prefix and with SD support at that. Even had it add dayonepatch! I prefer Heroic for epic and gog still because you can do shortcuts easily with it but for the other launchers this is great and couldn’t be easier. 

Wanted to get Ubisoft Connect going to get ready for the Prince next week and also installed Diablo 4 finally which actually runs super well and looks fantastic with hdr support out of the box!

35 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee All of a sudden Skyrim won't work. It shows the Bethesda startup then immediately goes back to the menus to select a game I want to play. Has this ever happened to you?

I’ve had games stop responding. You could try a reboot first then going to compatibility in the options for the game and try running it with Proton 7 or something. Or just delete and redownload since it’s so small. There was a steam update that could have changed something. If none of that works it could be a mod causing the issue.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ve had games stop responding. You could try a reboot first then going to compatibility in the options for the game and try running it with Proton 7 or something. Or just delete and redownload since it’s so small. There was a steam update that could have changed something. If none of that works it could be a mod causing the issue.

Ok. Let me try this. Thanks 

32 minutes ago, Biggie said:

did U get it fixed?

Nope. It has to be a bad mod I installed so I am now going to disable each one which is time consuming. But I'll have to start fresh with my mods. I got out of hand with the mods lol. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nope. It has to be a bad mod I installed so I am now going to disable each one which is time consuming. But I'll have to start fresh with my mods. I got out of hand with the mods lol. 

Best downloading mods

cat apple GIF

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Were you able to pin it down to which one was the issue?

No, that was too difficult. So now I installed 25 more mods but made sure none were similar. I think I had some that kinda overlapped each other causing a bug. My game still works. 

I’d recommend proton experimental but you would need to go to desktop mode and install that. I believe your version of Skyrim is the original vanilla version they don’t sell anymore so it might have more issues.

• Sad 1

Just now, stepee said:

I’d recommend proton experimental but you would need to go to desktop mode and install that. I believe your version of Skyrim is the original vanilla version they don’t sell anymore so it might have more issues.

Its definitely the vanilla version. I downloaded this at launch on steam back in the day. 

Aw that sucks! Last thing I’d say to try if you haven’t would be to see if there is a system update to install on the deck if it didn’t auto update. i did also see someone with a similar issue say they uninstalled the game and then deleted the game folder manually in desktop mode and then it worked also. Maybe it’s one of those things if you try it down the line after some system updates it’ll start working again.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Aw that sucks! Last thing I’d say to try if you haven’t would be to see if there is a system update to install on the deck if it didn’t auto update. i did also see someone with a similar issue say they uninstalled the game and then deleted the game folder manually in desktop mode and then it worked also. Maybe it’s one of those things if you try it down the line after some system updates it’ll start working again.

I did get a system update when I restarted the deck today. Do you think the mods fucked this up overall?

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I did get a system update when I restarted the deck today. Do you think the mods fucked this up overall?

I think it’s possible one of the mods messed it up and left some remnant in the folder that isn’t going by away when you reinstall. That is maybe why deleting the game folder in desktop mode would help. 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think it’s possible one of the mods messed it up and left some remnant in the folder that isn’t going by away when you reinstall. That is maybe why deleting the game folder in desktop mode would help. 

Well I'm downloading ESO. It's 114gb for Christ's sake. I need an Elders Scrolls fix lol. I'll delete Skyrim's folder tomorrow.  😤 

I don't know if anyone found the out of the box wi-fi speeds for your steam deck to be very slow but mine was getting like 80mbps so I knew something was wrong.

I checked out this article:

WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

If you’re noticing your Steam Deck has weak download speeds, try these steps to hopefully improve your connection and quicken Valve's handheld gaming PC

And now I'm up to 300mbps. So if you are getting slow speeds this might fix your connection. (Someone like @best3444 who gets slow speeds already maybe don't take it for granted you might be able to make it less slow :p )

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't know if anyone found the out of the box wi-fi speeds for your steam deck to be very slow but mine was getting like 80mbps so I knew something was wrong.

I checked out this article:

WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

If you’re noticing your Steam Deck has weak download speeds, try these steps to hopefully improve your connection and quicken Valve's handheld gaming PC

And now I'm up to 300mbps. So if you are getting slow speeds this might fix your connection. (Someone like @best3444 who gets slow speeds already maybe don't take it for granted you might be able to make it less slow :p )

Honestly my shit downloads super fast. But thanks for lookin out.