Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I figured this mess out. With this version of Skyrim you have to get your mods through bethesda.net. I'm currently getting some killer ones now. 

Yeah they changed it - but if you ever familiarize yourself with desktop mode then having the special edition means you can also get the really crazy ones off nexusmods going like total overhauls and such. 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah they changed it - but if you ever familiarize yourself with desktop mode then having the special edition means you can also get the really crazy ones off nexusmods going like total overhauls and such. 

Would that run on the deck?

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Would that run on the deck?

yeah there are even steam deck specific collections on nexus mods - you have to install something called skse for a lot of them though which requires going to desktop mode and following a guide 

People weren’t happy with the switch from steam workshop but beth did it so they could try to charge for mods also. You’ll get it eventually though and SE will look better by default as it has better lighting and textures and stuff over the original.

Meanwhile I’ve gone a little nuts since I’ve found that storing more micro sd cards on a dock works great now. So now in addition to 3.5gb internally, whenever I plug in the charger I have 6.5gb all filled up waiting to be played! I can always of course swap cards and unplug to play everything everywhere. But it’s super cool plugged in with that huge library all ready on a handheld. 275 pc games and thousands of classic console games ranging from snes to wii to vita. Good shit.

• Shocked 1

Also I must be daft or it’s new but I just noticed under settings>display there is a slider for changing the color saturation to native (more vibrancy) and also a color temp so I can select warm like I do on my LG. Now it freakin looks even better!

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Did you become an OF 304?

No idea what that is. 

Overall the mods I put in are phenomenal but the overall game doesn't look as good as it did with the mods from steam (lighting and textures). But it's no big deal because the mods I did put in make it look like a different game. 

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Also I must be daft or it’s new but I just noticed under settings>display there is a slider for changing the color saturation to native (more vibrancy) and also a color temp so I can select warm like I do on my LG. Now it freakin looks even better!

This was a setting that was added shortly after the OLED came out.

Warm though... :sick:

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Should I bother with these settings? I agree I'm not a warm guy on my tv either. 

It doesn't hurt to look at it. It's just a picture and a slider.

Personally before I was doing everything I was looking up calibrated LUTS but then saw I need a device to calibrate it correctly and have to set it per game so I bailed out on it. :p

On the moonlight deck github someone figured out how to fix the raised black level using a reshade plugin and an image adjustment shader and now it’s pretty much perfect. Also made a separate shader that also raises the saturation even more if I want cuz I’m cray. Anyway launched Killer Instinct on moonlight with Special K to inject hdr into it  and the particles are crazzzzy.

• Hype 2

John from DF just got an oled deck and was gushing about it on the weekly show and mentioned playing Ryse on it so I booted that up and it does indeed still look amazing on the deck! I would honestly love a new one from Crytek. It can be the same length and scale and everything but just with technology as state of the art as that was back then. I actually always loved the quick time or whatever you want to call them executions. They always felt so good to me.

I know I can't shut up about Skyrim but with the mods I implemented it basically is close to looking like a current gen game minus some textures on NPC'S. The world itself is on par with this generation so I'm really impressed with this running on the Oled. 

• Hype 2

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Better than Heroic?

Idk about better. It’s just easier because all you need to do is click a link and run one thing and it will do everything all at once including install the latest GE Proton. Heroic will give you more options still but is a bit more cumbersome and only supports GOG and Epic. This will install like everything and keeps it all centralized. 

I finally got the urge to tinker with Heroic this weekend since I own a shit ton of GOG games and I took advantage of that Epic Store giveaway over the holidays. The newer stuff works fine but it's been hit or miss on some of those GOG games.

Next up is EmuDeck but I think I'm gonna need to invest in a bigger SD card for that one....

EDIT: Highlights on what DID work... I only booted them up and played a few minutes to test but...

Singularity (excited about this one)

Blades of Time

Ys 1&2

Saints Row Reboot

Shadowman Remastered

Mars War Logs

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II

I'll try some more tonight, but damn those things take forever to download from the GOG store.

• Hype 1

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Random note that if you have decky loader installed (you should) that the how long to beat it plugin is fantastic to have!

I had avoided decky, because I had read that you had to reinstall it everytime SteamOS updated -- is this fixed now?