Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm sure that many are aware of it (the majority posting regularly itt), but given some of the responses I'm also sure many think they are a fringe terrorist group and not a leading political party.

In Gaza, Hamas is the only political party as they effectively "liquidated" the Palestinian Authority/Fatah in 2007 during the Battle of Gaza after accusing them of attempting a coup to overthrow the Hamas government following its electoral victory in January 2006 -  a coup attempt that was cooked up by the usual suspects:

WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

After failing to anticipate Hamas’s victory over Fatah in the 2006 Palestinian election, the White House cooked up yet another scandalously covert and self-defeating Middle East debacle: part Iran-contra, part Bay of Pigs. With confidential documents, corroborated by outraged former and current U.S. officials, the author reveals how President Bush, Condoleezza Rice, and Deputy National-Security Adviser Elliott Abrams backed an armed...

• Guillotine 2

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In Gaza, Hamas is the only political party as they effectively "liquidated" the Palestinian Authority/Fatah in 2007 during the Battle of Gaza after accusing them of attempting a coup to overthrow the Hamas government following its electoral victory in January 2006 -  a coup attempt that was cooked up by the usual suspects:

WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

After failing to anticipate Hamas’s victory over Fatah in the 2006 Palestinian election, the White House cooked up yet another scandalously covert and self-defeating Middle East debacle: part Iran-contra, part Bay of Pigs. With confidential documents, corroborated by outraged former and current U.S. officials, the author reveals how President Bush, Condoleezza Rice, and Deputy National-Security Adviser Elliott...

Others still exist, just not in any meaningful way. Fatah (part of the Palestinian Liberation Organization) currently holds 45/134 seats on the Palestinian legislative council. Internationally, iirc, they're somehow recognized as the "leaders" of Palestine.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Others still exist, just not in any meaningful way. Fatah (part of the Palestinian Liberation Organization) currently holds 45/134 seats on the Palestinian legislative council.

Which is the exact number of seats that they won in the January 2006 elections, because there have been none since!

• True 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Which is the exact number of seats that they won in the January 2006 elections, because there have been none since!

I'm just saying they exist, just not meaningfully :p ; I edited my post but will add it here - the PLO is still internationally recognized as the leaders of the Palestinian people for some reason, despite them being a minority party.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm just saying they exist, just not meaningfully :p ; I edited my post but will add it here - the PLO is still internationally recognized as the leaders of the Palestinian people for some reason, despite them being a minority party.

Right - those seats held by Fatah members are nearly exclusively representing areas in the West Bank.  This list shows the political affiliation and "status" (deceased/detained in Israel) of the members of the PLC:

• Halal 1

I have zero doubt that Cairo is absolutely alarmed at Israel's recent declaration.  Zero doubt at all.

APNEWS.COM

Israel’s call for half of the Gaza Strip’s population to evacuate south is hiking Egypt’s fears of a massive influx of refugees across the border into its territory.

Israel’s call Friday for half of the Gaza Strip’s population to evacuate south is hiking Egypt’s fears of a massive influx of refugees across the heavily fortified border into its territory.

Since Hamas’ bloody attack on Israel sparked a massive retaliation in Gaza, Egypt’s leadership has frantically tried to negotiate the entry of humanitarian aid through its crossing into the Palestinian territory — partially in hopes of averting an exodus into Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula. Officials say its efforts have received no response from Israel.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken was expected to visit Cairo over the weekend and Egyptian officials are expected to discuss the entry of aid with him.

Israel sealed off the Gaza Strip, stopping all entry of food, water, medicine and fuel to its 2.3 million people, while bombardment has leveled swaths of its cities. That has left Egypt’s Rafah crossing as the sole access. But repeated Israeli airstrikes at the Palestinian side of the crossing have forced it to stop operating, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said, leaving trucks of aid stopped on the Egyptian side.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi called for access through Rafah in a speech Thursday. He also pushed back against letting in large numbers of Palestinians.

“The threat there is significant because it means the liquidation of this (Palestinian) cause,” el-Sissi said at a military college graduation ceremony in Cairo. “It’s important for its people to stay steadfast and exist on its land.” He also pointed out that Egypt already hosts some 9 million refugees. That population swelled this year as 300,000 Sudanese fled their country’s war into Egypt, already facing economic crisis.

Khaled Gendy, a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute, said Egypt’s primary concern is that hundreds of thousands of refugees will become a permanent reality. “What sort of guarantees are there going to be for their return?” he said.

• True 1

WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

As Israel escalates its offensive, U.S. diplomats are being discouraged from publicly using three phrases that would urge calm.

As Israel escalates its attacks on Gaza, the State Department is discouraging diplomats working on Middle East issues from making public statements suggesting the U.S. wants to see less violence, according to internal emails viewed by HuffPost.

In messages circulated on Friday, State Department staff wrote that high-level officials do not want press materials to include three specific phrases: “de-escalation/ceasefire,” “end to violence/bloodshed” and “restoring calm.”

The revelation provides a stunning signal about the Biden administration’s reluctance to push for Israeli restraint as the close U.S. partner expands the offensive it launched after Hamas ― which rules Gaza ― attacked Israeli communities on Oct. 7.

• Confused 1

Calling on the idf to de escalate is virtue signaling.

Apply real political pressure to try and save lives in Gaza or stfu, we still have a bunch of soft power we can bring to bear. We already flexed the hard power, give concessions to Egypt get that corridor open because there is no way the IDF is not going in.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I've always hated the fact the Palestinians have been living on borrowed time for a long, long time (similar to the Armenians in N-K). I always knew once real peace talks ended in the late 1990's and not much happened after the 2000's on this front meant that like the Tibetans, Palestine is done. Israel now has a full excuse in their minds, and they are going to use it. They may not deal with the West Bank for the most part just yet, but Gaza is fucked.

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've always hated the fact the Palestinians have been living on borrowed time for a long, long time (similar to the Armenians in N-K).

Speaking of the Armenians in N-K, guess who has been a major weapons supplier to Azerbaijan in recent years?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Israel has quietly helped fuel Azerbaijan’s campaign to recapture Nagorno-Karabakh, supplying powerful weapons to the country ahead of its lightening offensive last month that brought the Armenian separatist enclave in its territory back under its control

Israel has quietly helped fuel Azerbaijan’s campaign to recapture Nagorno-Karabakh, supplying powerful weapons to Azerbaijan ahead of its lightening offensive last month that brought the ethnic Armenian enclave back under its control, officials and experts say.

Just weeks before Azerbaijan launched its 24-hour assault on Sept. 19, Azerbaijani military cargo planes repeatedly flew between a southern Israeli airbase and an airfield near Nagorno-Karabakh, according to flight tracking data and Armenian diplomats, even as Western governments were urging peace talks.

The flights rattled Armenian officials in Yerevan, long wary of the strategic alliance between Israel and Azerbaijan, and shined a light on Israel’s national interests in the restive region south of the Caucasus Mountains.

“For us, it is a major concern that Israeli weapons have been firing at our people,” Arman Akopian, Armenia’s ambassador to Israel, told The Associated Press. In a flurry of diplomatic exchanges, Akopian said he expressed alarm to Israeli politicians and lawmakers in recent weeks over Israeli weapons shipments.

“I don’t see why Israel should not be in the position to express at least some concern about the fate of people being expelled from their homeland," he told AP.

Oh, Ambassor Akopian...my sweet summer child.

• Thanks 1

WWW.BBC.COM

Messages reveal how trapped families called for help and shared messages of comfort as militants killed 100 in their kibbutz.

"God Forbid."

Shortly after sunrise on the morning of Saturday 7 October, a message pings on 200 phones of the Be'eri mothers' WhatsApp group.

Minutes later another message lands: "We have a terrorist on the stairs. Call someone."

The messages are spoilered below:

_131416700_whatsapp_message_06-nc-2x-nc.

_131416555_whatsapp_message_01-nc-2x-nc.

_131416561_whatsapp_message_03-nc-2x-nc.

_131416564_whatsapp_message_14b-nc-2x-nc

_131416558_whatsapp_message_02-nc-2x-nc.

_131416701_whatsapp_message_08-nc-2x-nc.

_131416703_whatsapp_message_10-nc-2x-nc.

_131416704_whatsapp_message_11-nc-2x-nc.

_131416706_whatsapp_message_13-nc-nc.png

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Israeli shelling struck a Lebanese army observation post at the border on Friday, three sources in Lebanon told Reuters, after the Israeli military warned of a suspected armed infiltration that it said it was responding to with artillery fire.

Israeli shelling struck a Lebanese army observation post at the border on Friday, three sources in Lebanon told Reuters, after the Israeli military warned of a suspected armed infiltration that it said it was responding to with artillery fire.

Israel later ruled out that any incursion had occurred and residents of a village near the border, who had been instructed to hole up at home and lock doors and windows, were told they could again go outdoors.

The alert was issued in Hanita, 500 metres (yards) from the tense border and opposite Aalma El-Chaeb.

Lebanon's Iran-backed, heavily armed Hezbollah group later said it had carried out attacks on a number of border areas as a response to attacks Israel carried out earlier in the day on south Lebanese towns.

The shelling killed a Reuters videographer:

WWW.REUTERS.COM

A Reuters news videographer has been killed while working in southern Lebanon, Reuters said in a statement on Friday.

A Reuters news videographer has been killed while working in southern Lebanon, Reuters said in a statement on Friday.

"We are deeply saddened to learn that our videographer, Issam Abdallah, has been killed," the statement said.

Issam was part of a Reuters crew in southern Lebanon who was providing a live video signal. "We are urgently seeking more information, working with authorities in the region, and supporting Issam’s family and colleagues," Reuters said.

• Sad 2

From Médecins Sans Frontières:

Israel has given Al Awda Hospital just two hours to evacuate. Our staff are still treating patients.

We unequivocally condemn this action, the continued indiscriminate bloodshed and attacks on health care in Gaza.

We are trying to protect our staff and patients.

Al Awda is one of the main hospitals in northern Gaza.

• Guillotine 1

Somethingbrokenclocksomething.

From Al Jazeera:

‘Unacceptable’: Putin cautions Israel against Nazi-like siege

Russian President Vladimir Putin cautioned Israel against laying siege to Gaza in the same way that Nazi Germany besieged Leningrad, saying a ground offensive there would lead to an “absolutely unacceptable” number of civilian casualties.

Putin said Israel had been subjected to “an attack unprecedented in its cruelty” by Hamas but was responding with cruel methods of its own.

He said there had been calls even in the United States for a blockade of the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip on a par with “the siege of Leningrad during World War II”.

“In my view it is unacceptable. More than two million people live there. Far from all of them support Hamas by the way, far from all. But all of them have to suffer including women and children. Of course, it’s hard for anyone to agree with this.”

• Guillotine 1

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm fairly certain that very few (if any) of us on this board are unaware of the inherent nature of the Hamas organization as a political entity which naturally makes a military operation against them complicated beyond measure.

TBF, I'm not really a part of the CEB, but this whole thing has been giga confusing for me. I'd never even heard of Hamas. I'm still not sure what it is exactly.

What's funny is that there was a Reddit post dunking on Americans for looking for the "bad guy" in this conflict and I was all like

So, I've pretty much ignored all of this cuz idk jack shit about nothin'

Some more than others.

We can go round and round and it will take us back to fucking Abraham before we're done.

Who is at fault doesn't matter, we find a solution or 6 generations from now this will keep happening.

Edit, I just spoke to my sister, she told me "every time I log into IG I find out someone else died." This from a declared non combatant who got a deferral from IDF service. Is this really the world we want?

I can share this now, I was such a wreck for those first few days because, I saw that video of the girl with the bloody pants, at that point I hadn't heard from my sister, my head was in a terrible place, all I could think was "they're gonna find her in some field somewhere just like that." I broke down when I saw her flight was listed as departed. Now, imagine people who don't have the connections to an affluent brother who will pay whatever it takes, how do you expect them to feel, and for those trapped in an humanitarian crisis who don't even have the ability to fly out. This shit will never stop.

• Hugs 4

26 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'd never even heard of Hamas. I'm still not sure what it is exactly.

It's a Middle Eastern dip, spread, or savory dish made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. The standard garnish in the Middle East includes olive oil, a few whole chickpeas, parsley, and paprika. Popular in Middle Eastern cuisine, it is usually eaten as a dip, with pita bread. In the West, it is now produced industrially, and is often served as a snack or appetizer with crackers.

• Haha 6
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

It's a Middle Eastern dip, spread, or savory dish made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. The standard garnish in the Middle East includes olive oil, a few whole chickpeas, parsley, and paprika. Popular in Middle Eastern cuisine, it is usually eaten as a dip, with pita bread. In the West, it is now produced industrially, and is often served as a snack or appetizer with crackers.

tv land no GIF by YoungerTV

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From Médecins Sans Frontières:

Al Awda is one of the main hospitals in northern Gaza.

Update from MSF:

Clarification: Israeli forces have now postponed the demand to evacuate Al Awda Hospital in the Gaza Strip until 6am. The evacuation of patients remains complicated.

• Sad 1