Being a non-parent near a three year old…

stepee

My wife and I have a "slightly" different view on how to raise kids. We believe our children are our burden and that others shouldn't have to accommodate our life choices. Because of this, we avoided a lot of public activities, public transportation until our son could comport himself in a reasonably civil manner. We also make it a point to explain to our children that public spaces are a shared or common good and should be respected as such. I am highly intolerant of parents that believe their children are a magic excuse to behave poorly or to expect latitude for poor planning/management of themselves and their children in public. 

• Like 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 2

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My wife and I have a "slightly" different view on how to raise kids. We believe our children are our burden and that others shouldn't have to accommodate our life choices. Because of this, we avoided a lot of public activities, public transportation until our son could comport himself in a reasonably civil manner. We also make it a point to explain to our children that public spaces are a shared or common good and should be respected as such. I am highly intolerant of parents that believe their children are a magic excuse to behave poorly or to expect latitude for poor planning/management of themselves and their children in public. 

This is basically how we managed it with ours.  Until kids are at an age/maturity/behavioral level where they won't negatively impact the experiences of others, you don't bring them to places where they could do so.

Now my sons are adults so when they ruin other peoples' times in public it's not my problem. :D

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

I struggle with this when I'm out with my nieces. They're kids, so they want to play regardless of where we are, but I want to be respectful to everyone else that probably didn't go out expecting to hear kids making a racket. Still, they're going to make a certain amount of noise if I engage with them or not, so the best I can do is usually to play with them and do my best to encourage them to be quiet. Still, I wince every time they let out a squeal.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I struggle with this when I'm out with my nieces. They're kids, so they want to play regardless of where we are, but I want to be respectful to everyone else that probably didn't go out expecting to hear kids making a racket. Still, they're going to make a certain amount of noise if I engage with them or not, so the best I can do is usually to play with them and do my best to encourage them to be quiet. Still, I wince every time they let out a squeal.

Guys, don't treat the world like it's a big fuckin' porcelain doll. People around you are adults, do not bend over backwards trying to make children unnatural because someone might be inconvenienced for a few minutes. (And if it's a 12 hour plane ride? Welcome to hell bitch!) It's not a big deal. Yeah, it sucks if some kid is super loud, but do you go around throwing a tantrum? No. It's a child, it happens. If someone around you can't fucking handle that, that's their problem. Welcome to existing in a society motherfucker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Guys, don't treat the world like it's a big fuckin' porcelain doll. People around you are adults, do not bend over backwards trying to make children unnatural because someone might be inconvenienced for a few minutes. (And if it's a 12 hour plane ride? Welcome to hell bitch!) It's not a big deal. Yeah, it sucks if some kid is super loud, but do you go around throwing a tantrum? No. It's a child, it happens. If someone around you can't fucking handle that, that's their problem. Welcome to existing in a society motherfucker.

The problem isn't generally with the kids. Kids are gonna be kids. 

1 minute ago, Slug said:

The problem isn't generally with the kids. Kids are gonna be kids. 

Sure, but as we can see from this thread, some people think it's the kids. Some real "I'm never gonna be like my mom" energy up in here. As a parent your child is your primary concern. The comfort of some dipshit in the grocery store is not. Don't avoid shopping because your kid might cry! Don't become a hermit because your kid can get restless! Yes, still try to soothe and calm your child or discipline them, but don't get weird about it and avoid the world!

45 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Now imagine being a parent or non parent near @Xbob42

15 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Lol

Breeders, keep your mistakes to yourself thanks. Your sex trophies are your problems not mine. 

Also not blaming the kids, I avoid their areas, hence why I book adults only hotels/resorts. I blame the breeders who know better who put kids in areas they can’t tolerate.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

40 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Lol

Breeders, keep your mistakes to yourself thanks. Your sex trophies are your problems not mine. 

Also not blaming the kids, I avoid their areas, hence why I book adults only hotels/resorts. I blame the breeders who know better who put kids in areas they can’t tolerate.

That's some real limp dick Tumblr talk! If you're so incredibly maladjusted that this is ever truly an issue for you then I think it's actually funny. Get your shit together.

• True 1

Limp dick maybe, I love my whiskey and I’d rather be buzzed than get laid at this point.

but I can afford not being around your mistakes by choice. Do recommend, affluence is nice. I solved your problems for me, definitely well adjusted 😂

Flying Qatar business to the Maldives, you know what I did to drown out other people’s sex trophies? Order a few Cuba libres reclined in the q suite and watched creed. Go ahead and google the cost from sfo to mle Qatar business, not even one paycheck for me. Yes the resort there was adults only too, fuck your kids.

10/10 do recommend 

Cnut saw the pics 

she can confirm, they had sparkling waiting for me.

Can you imagine, well maybe you can, your life’s greatest accomplishment being knocking some barista up 😂 Jesus snakes can do that by their own selves. Snakes>breeders confirmed 

EDIT

Going to Fiji in less than three weeks to an adults only resort too. ✌️

I wanna be in that water. So pretty. 

I mean, I wouldn’t have said it that way, but I don’t really disagree with him. I don’t hate kids, but goddamn, some parents are so entitled and think the rest of humanity should have to put up with their obnoxious crotch spawn and I’m just not down for that. I have a slight urge to reach through the internet and strangle xbob right now. 

• Haha 2
  • Hype 1

31 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I wanna be in that water. So pretty. 

I mean, I wouldn’t have said it that way, but I don’t really disagree with him. I don’t hate kids, but goddamn, some parents are so entitled and think the rest of humanity should have to put up with their obnoxious crotch spawn and I’m just not down for that. I have a slight urge to reach through the internet and strangle xbob right now. 

I don’t hate kids, they’re kids, they’re gonna be kids. I’m barely holding it together on a 14 hour flight, no clue how breeders expect a 3yo to. I love my niece, closest I’ve ever been to that scene from himym the first time I held her, she deserves everything, but I’d still not put others in a position to accept my failures as an uncle.

16 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I don’t hate kids, they’re kids, they’re gonna be kids. I’m barely holding it together on a 14 hour flight, no clue how breeders expect a 3yo to. I love my niece, closest I’ve ever been to that scene from himym the first time I held her, she deserves everything, but I’d still not put others in a position to accept my failures as an uncle.

I mean, I worked in peds for a number of years, and yeah, I like kids. Just like my own time. It’s more the doofus parents who don’t think or care if they’re little goblins annoy the shit out of the rest of us or think it’s cute. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, I worked in peds for a number of years, and yeah, I like kids. Just like my own time. It’s more the doofus parents who don’t think or care if they’re little goblins annoy the shit out of the rest of us or think it’s cute. 

Thankfully I just get to send the peds to our pediatric ER.

Like get this thing tf out of here 

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The comfort of some dipshit in the grocery store is not. Don't avoid shopping because your kid might cry!

See, that's different to me.  Yeah, don't avoid shopping because the kid might cry.  But most other people aren't going to the grocery store to relax or to be entertained.  And they're not a captive audience (like say, on a plane).  Take your kids on errands, take them to the park, take them to kids' shows and story time at the library or any other number of young human appropriate activities.

It's when parents take children that aren't at a point where they can behave/control themselves to places that other people do go to relax or have a nice time.  I shouldn't have to listen to screeching at a brewery, or a tantrum during dinner if it's not a restaurant that has animatronic rodents in the background.  You don't fly infants to vacation destinations. Parents shouldn't inflict their child's lack of control on others.  Their right to be at $place does not trump the rights of everyone else in the vicinity to enjoy $place peacefully.  If you just have to have a night out to a non-child friendly venue then you find a sitter, or family, or split duties with your partner if you have one.  If you can't make some sort of arrangement then you suck it up and don't go.  It's unfortunate that the kids often get the blame for their parents' lack of consideration for others.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

In case anyone wonders why parents are stressed the fuck out when taking their kids anywhere in public just look at this thread. You can’t win as a parent even with relatively well behaved children. If you’re not in an adults only location get the fuck over yourself and show some grace, you don’t know what those parents or kids are going through and the judgement you give from one interaction with them is very palpable and it fucking sucks and is more stressful than your mild inconvenience. a kid could be “well behaved” at a table at a restaurant and you still get judgement instead of ignored because everyone has a fucking opinion about you and your kids and their behavior, good or bad. And lord forbid if a young mother have to breastfeed their newborn. 

this country has zero support for parents and children and the absolutely toxic shit you see here is part of the stressors with even taking your kids to the supermarket let alone to a restaurant or on a plane to see family or god forbid a “vacation” or taking any kind of break. And I get it, you may ignore the kids or parents or whatever, but this ain’t a one on one interaction. The culture is very much “children should not be seen or heard” when in a public place that is not explicitly family or child oriented. And then in the next breath wonder why people grow up not knowing how to behave in public when they aren’t taught how to do so starting at a young age

• Like 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 3

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In case anyone wonders why parents are stressed the fuck out when taking their kids anywhere in public just look at this thread. You can’t win as a parent even with relatively well behaved children. If you’re not in an adults only location get the fuck over yourself and show some grace, you don’t know what those parents or kids are going through and the judgement you give from one interaction with them is very palpable and it fucking sucks and is more stressful than your mild inconvenience. a kid could be “well behaved” at a table at a restaurant and you still get judgement instead of ignored because everyone has a fucking opinion about you and your kids and their behavior, good or bad. And lord forbid if a young mother have to breastfeed their newborn. 

this country has zero support for parents and children and the absolutely toxic shit you see here is part of the stressors with even taking your kids to the supermarket let alone to a restaurant or on a plane to see family or god forbid a “vacation” or taking any kind of break. And I get it, you may ignore the kids or parents or whatever, but this ain’t a one on one interaction. The culture is very much “children should not be seen or heard” when in a public place that is not explicitly family or child oriented. And then in the next breath wonder why people grow up not knowing how to behave in public when they aren’t taught how to do so starting at a young age

Maybe don’t take your kid to an adults only location where people like me paid extra not to be around your bundle of joy. That’s on you for thinking we have to accommodate you and your choices.

But yea, childfree people are the reason parents fail at being parents lol itt anti social behavior from adults is because child free people didn’t breed Lolol 

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So non parents have to suck up being around kids in non adults only settings but parents can’t suck up non parents being annoyed by their sex trophies? Kids are like smokers, annoying but ultimately hurting you way more than me. Not my monkey not my circus and I enjoy the reminders of my reproductive health choices. I only like being called daddy In one context.

31 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

So non parents have to suck up being around kids in non adults only settings but parents can’t suck up non parents being annoyed by their sex trophies? Kids are like smokers, annoying but ultimately hurting you way more than me. Not my monkey not my circus and I enjoy the reminders of my reproductive health choices. I only like being called daddy In one context.

Aside from the extremely weird language, turns out you live in a society and “being around kids” is not a burden or problem to you whatsoever. There’s no problem with adults only places and activities but when I said that society deems that children not be seen or heard in spaces that are not explicitly family or child marketed, this comment is what I’m talking about. The idea that *I* get to be annoyed by the mere presence of *you and your children* is part of what makes this country so fucking hostile to parents. your inability to see this point because “why can’t you get over me being visibly or audibly annoyed by the presence of your children” is so frustrating because it is so self centered and anti social.

And I’m using the point here that your complaints are based on the mere presence of children, not their behavior. My post was centered on the presence of children regardless of their behavior. And your reply is confirmation to the objection of their presence in whatever space that is not family or child marketed and not explicitly adults only. This only proves my point: children are not to be seen or heard, get back in your home and don’t exist in society with your family. That’s the implicit if not explicit message 

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Aside from the extremely weird language, turns out you live in a society and “being around kids” is not a burden or problem to you whatsoever. There’s no problem with adults only places and activities but when I said that society deems that children not be seen or heard in spaces that are not explicitly family or child marketed, this comment is what I’m talking about. The idea that *I* get to be annoyed by the mere presence of *you and your children* is part of what makes this country so fucking hostile to parents. your inability to see this point because “why can’t you get over me being visibly or audibly annoyed by the presence of your children” is so frustrating because it is so self centered and anti social.

And I’m using the point here that your complaints are based on the mere presence of children, not their behavior. My post was centered on the presence of children regardless of their behavior. And your reply is confirmation to the objection of their presence in whatever space that is not family or child marketed and not explicitly adults only. This only proves my point: children are not to be seen or heard, get back in your home and don’t exist in society with your family. That’s the implicit if not explicit message 

Yes, we exist in a society which means if I have to tolerate your choices you must tolerate my annoyance of them. Too thin skinned to know not everyone wants your life? That some people look at kids in a neutral manner? How is me being annoyed by your sex trophies impacting your life in an appreciable way? Why do we have to adjust but you don’t?

Oh no, you annoy me in Public, your life is so challenging. The expectation we have to alter our behavior and responses for your choices is the true selfish shit. You made the choice to breed, I already get taxed more for what you did, I also don’t have to pretend your kids don’t annoy me. How dare we not fully arrest our emotional response to things that annoy us so you dont have negative fee fees 😂

thou doth protest too much