Contra: Operation Galuga | Coming to Consoles and PC March 12, 2024 - Demo Available Now!

Keyser_Soze

• 5 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Contra: Operation Galuga | Coming to Consoles and PC March 12, 2024 - Demo Available Now!
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Oh shit.   80's NES kid boner.

Looks like the best Contra attempt since Shattered Soldier.

Contra IV came out five years after Shattered Soldier and is much better.

If you want to scratch the Contra itch, Valfaris is also quite good even if it doesn’t follow the one hit=death formula.

Game Information Game Title: Contra: Operation Galuga Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Mar 12, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 12, 2024)
  • Nintendo Switch (Mar 12, 2024)
  • PC (Mar 12, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Mar 12, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 12, 2024)

Trailer:

Developer: Wayforward Publisher: Konami Review Aggregator: OpenCritic - 75 average - 65% recommended Critic Reviews AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 80 / 100

Everything you'd anticipate from a revived classic is present in Contra: Operation Galuga, a game that successfully takes you back to the era of beloved gaming classics. Put simply, if you're an older gamer with fond memories of titles like these, you'll likely overlook some minor flaws and revel in the nostalgia that transports you back to your youth. On the other hand, if you're a bit younger, Contra: Operation Galuga might not stand out as an especially captivating title, as it targets a very specific audience of gamers with its visual style, music and gameplay. Despite this, Contra is a great video game and we're sure fans of the series will hold a special place in their heart for this one.

Atarita - Atakan Gümrükçüoğlu - Turkish - 93 / 100

Contra, one of the indispensable games of the 80s, has been adapted to the present day with its mechanics and visuals. Contra: Operation Galuga is a great game that stays true to the original with new boss battles and level designs.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 8 / 10

Contra: Operation Galuga is a reimagining with fresh touches to gameplay and story to breathe new life into a series that fans have been dying for, yet brevity and limited co-op hold it back.

Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 8.1 / 10

Contra: Operation Galuga restores the series to its former glory. Expect old-school gameplay with a steep difficulty curve and only a few innovations. Multiple modes and up to four player co-op top off a solid remake.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

Contra: Operation Galuga is a treat for both fans of Contra and run ‘n’ gun shooters in general. And thanks to its Perk system and multiple difficulty levels, it’s one of the most accessible entries in the genre. An absolute blast from beginning to end, Contra: Operation Galuga’s campaign might be quite brief, but with its additional modes and wealth of unlockables, there’s hours upon hours of arcade fun to be had here.

Generación Xbox - Frank Montes - Spanish - 90 / 100

Contra has returned and Wayforward offers us a master class on how to respect and manage a beloved IP, it is not the first time he has done it. Cons: Operation Galuga, is a must-see, whether or not you are a fan of this franchise, one of the pleasant surprises of March and 2024.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 8.5 / 10

Contra: Operation Galuga brings back the granddaddy of run and gun with a bang, but don't expect it to be an easy ride.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 4 / 5

Contra: Operation Galuga is a refreshing return to Contra's roots. The story might be lacking, but the high-octane run and gun action that made the classic games great is back. Contra: Operation Galuga relies heavily on nostalgia to appeal to Contra fans by incorporating several classic level designs and boss fights. It can get away with this by adding enough variety to the gameplay and some fights where the end result feels like a proper re-imagining and not simply a hodgepodge of random past Contra highlights. It does have its shortcomings with dated-looking graphics and an inconsequential story, but when it comes to delivering the classic run and gun Contra action, Operation Galuga is the title fans have been waiting for.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 60 / 100

Con: Operation Galuga successfully recreates the original game released in 1987 and elevates the show to a new level, but a number of issues (the controls, mainly) make the experience very frustrating.

IGN - Travis Northup - 6 / 10

Contra: Operation Galuga is an amusing run-and-gun that met my 2D shooting expectations, but rarely exceeded them.

IGN Spain - Marcos Catalán - Spanish - 7 / 10

In the end, Contra: Operation Galuga wasn't the triumphant return we were hoping for, but it's certainly the best game in the series in recent years. It's difficult and has several modes and characters that will make the game last for hours, and in doubles (or fours in arcade) it's still fantastic.

Nintendo Life - Tom Massey - 6 / 10

WayForward has done god's work in design and execution, and in rekindling the feel of Konami's blistering run-and-gun IP. It's all expertly assembled: an adrenaline-fuelled bullet ballet that knows exactly what Contra is and should be, borrowing key elements from the series' back catalogue and elevating the action with an original moveset that feels fresh, fun, and exciting to toy with. It's this undeniable accomplishment that makes the Switch version somewhat deflating. There's a great game here, and yes, it is playable, it is fun, and it can be learned. But it's damaged by so many technical setbacks that one weeps for what should have been. Unity-coded titles on the Switch don't have a great track record, but WayForward can't really blame the tools and should have ironed it out considerably. Contra: Operation Galuga stands tall amongst its peers - just not this version. If you're a serious Contra fan, we're going to drop something utterly perverse for a Nintendo-focused publication, lay down a suppressing fire, and tell you to head straight over to Steam.

Press Start - Steven Impson - 8 / 10

Contra: Operation Galuga brings the essential Contra experience into the modern era. It retains the classic's white knuckle challenge, awesome level designs, boss creativity and firepower while adding some modern touches to make the game palatable and enjoyable by more people. It's not particularly long, but playing through once has never been the draw of a Contra game. It's a game that begs to be re-played and perfected. If you've ever been curious to try Contra, this is a great way to get into the franchise.

Push Square - Scott McCrae - 8 / 10

The game's story mode is short overall, but thankfully there's an Arcade and Challenge mode that offer great replayability. The challenge mode in particular is a highlight as it doles out mini-challenges for you to blast through, like tricky platforming or a pacifist run of a level. So, all in all, this is undoubtedly the best game the series has had in a long time, and one fans of the classic games won't want to miss out on.

The Games Machine - Emanuele Feronato - Italian - 8.3 / 10

How might Contra: Operation Galuga disappoint fans of the series? Nobody. How could it bring in new players who don't know the arcade? With adrenaline-pumping action through challenging levels where you can fight your way through with a devastating arsenal, advancing meter after meter until the boss challenge. We are faced with a bare and raw run and gun platformer, in which the few extra contents are a real added value and not a formality because nowadays everyone must have them. These are Bill and Lance's best adventures, and the two new characters are also very charismatic. Do you just want to shoot like crazy? You'll love it.

The Outerhaven Productions - Keith Mitchell - 4 / 5

Contra returns in a new reimagining, with a very odd story but with the same great Run-N-Gun gameplay, the series is known for. Despite some issues with the audio mix and not being a fan of the visuals, this is the type of gameplay I've missed, and I'm glad to see that Konami has finally realized the Contra series had more than enough in the tank for another go.

TheSixthAxis - Adrian Burrows - 5 / 10

For a brief moment of brilliance, Contra: Operation Galuga is the modern interpretation of a 2D run 'n' gun that we always wanted. But it's a fleeting moment, and what comes after is a deeply onerous experience that proves a trudge to see through to completion.

VGChartz - Evan Norris - 7.5 / 10

The moment-to-moment action is terrific, level designs and boss battles are mostly great, character and weapon diversity provide high replay value, and customization options allow for an adventure as dangerous or approachable as you like. With a more interesting story, a less tedious progression model, and nicer artistic assets, it would enter that next tier of greatness.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 7.5 / 10

My gaming chum and I had a ton of fun with Contra: Operation Galuga and although it doesn't live up to classics such as the peak of run 'n' gun action, Hard Corps, there's certainly a lot to love here, especially with its varied assortment of playable characters. 💥

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 7.5 / 10

With its excellent level design, challenging gameplay, and twists on the classic formula, Contra: Operation Galuga offers a compelling reimagining of one of the most beloved arcade games ever made. However, despite its strengths, the game's short campaign length, limited amount of content and lack of online multiplayer may deter some players, especially considering its price. While the inclusion of extra characters and a Challenge Mode adds some variety, they fail to provide a good reason to continue playing the game after having gone through the eight stages multiple times.

• Hype 1

On 3/9/2024 at 9:04 AM, LazyPiranha said:

Contra IV came out five years after Shattered Soldier and is much better.

It’s too late to recommend it now, but it should be mentioned that Contra Re:Birth on WiiWare was also really good.

Looking forward to this new entry for sure. The demo was great, IMO.

11 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I saw the price on Steam today and laughed.

I didn't laugh, but I did have a flashback of being about 8 years old and beating Contra on the NES for the first time. It was about a day or two after my mom bought it for me, and I was all excited that I beat it so I ran up and told her. Her response was a very annoyed, "Already?!"

I get it now.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I saw the price on Steam today and laughed.

I don't think it's outrageous. And it's 10% off for early release. Not too shabby.

48 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I didn't laugh, but I did have a flashback of being about 8 years old and beating Contra on the NES for the first time. It was about a day or two after my mom bought it for me, and I was all excited that I beat it so I ran up and told her. Her response was a very annoyed, "Already?!"

I get it now.

Eh...but Contra is one of those franchises where you can replay the games over and over again. Always fun for a pick-up-and-play, especially with local co-op. Maybe that's just me?

35 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I don't think it's outrageous. And it's 10% off for early release. Not too shabby.

It's on sale for C$48 (the same price as something like Helldivers 2) and only offers a few hours of gameplay (I've heard ~4), and misses modern features such as online coop.

That sounds like a $20 game.

Launch day's concurrent users on Steam was 242.

43 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Eh...but Contra is one of those franchises where you can replay the games over and over again. Always fun for a pick-up-and-play, especially with local co-op. Maybe that's just me?

Sure, but that was back when I only got like, one game a year and replaying games was a way of life.

I would probably play through this Contra more than once... maybe. Some day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's on sale for C$48 (the same price as something like Helldivers 2) and only offers a few hours of gameplay (I've heard ~4), and misses modern features such as online coop.

That sounds like a $20 game.

Launch day's concurrent users on Steam was 242.

That sounds like a Contra game for sure! But I dunno, when modern games sell for $70 (I’m not sure what currency you use) a game launching at $35 (cheaper price Contra 4 launched with back on DS) ain’t a bad deal. 

Of course it’s up to the individual to decide what something is worth and what it’s not. I’m sure eventually there will be a sale when the game is $20 or so. Patience may pay off in the end. :peace:

27 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

That sounds like a Contra game for sure! But I dunno, when modern games sell for $70 (I’m not sure what currency you use) a game launching at $35 (cheaper price Contra 4 launched with back on DS) ain’t a bad deal. 

Of course it’s up to the individual to decide what something is worth and what it’s not. I’m sure eventually there will be a sale when the game is $20 or so. Patience may pay off in the end. :peace:

Given that concurrent users on day after launch is under 200 players, it seems to suggest there aren't a whole lot of people buying it at the present price.

I'm in no hurry to buy it given the reviews.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Given that concurrent users on day after launch is under 200 players, it seems to suggest there aren't a whole lot of people buying it at the present price.

I'm in no hurry to buy it given the reviews.

That’s cool.

That’s not many people playing it, but that’s also just Steam. I wonder what the numbers are for other platforms. 

Regardless, plenty of other games to play while waiting for a price drop or sale. :) 

FUNNY: I saw this post and immediately remembered the game I had been trying to think of all year: Shadow Complex!! Thanks or that !

I have yet paid the "NEW GEN" upsale on games at $70. I'm not saying there not worth it but It takes me to long to even get to a newly bought game to make that price justifiable at all really. I'm just starting to realize this. That said this looks nice, I love a "GOOD" Contra game but not paying the asking price as it sits now. Will probably pic it up down the road though like most games.....

19 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I have yet paid the "NEW GEN" upsale on games at $70. I'm not saying there not worth it but It takes me to long to even get to a newly bought game to make that price justifiable at all really. I'm just starting to realize this. That said this looks nice, I love a "GOOD" Contra game but not paying the asking price as it sits now. Will probably pic it up down the road though like most games.....

To be clear it is $35.99 NOT $70. Unless you live in Argentina or something.

Yea I understood that, I was just stating that I haven't paid 70 for a game yet. Then I remembered....YES I DID! I payed 79.99 for Diablo 4. Either way this new Contra looks great I'll just check it out much later down the road!