Loki Season 2 coming Oct 5th (trailer up)

10 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Because they were at the end of time when all time got messed up and then they reentered the tva. Miss minutes I think also resets memories 

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

@Greatoneshere Everyone got reinserted into their respective places on the timeline as they were when they left. Sylvie had no place to go on the timeline, the closest thing was that 80s McDonalds, and when she was last there she knew Loki and the TVA. Now why she also remembers everything after that, including the explosion, I don't know.

1 hour ago, legend said:

By going to the end of time and interacting with what exists there, their physical makeup became quantum entangled with it, thereby making them always separate from any particular time line. Obviously.

:p 

I'm with you all, but I'm just not sure why there's a connection between only Loki time slipping and being at the End of Time (not even Sylvie is time slipping, and she was there). End of Time is just a place at the end of season 1, why would it have anything to do with the much later explosion in season 2 as regards Loki and Sylvie and the retention of their memories?

I'll take the timey-wimey quantum entanglement explanation. :p 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm with you all, but I'm just not sure why there's a connection between only Loki time slipping and being at the End of Time (not even Sylvie is time slipping, and she was there). End of Time is just a place at the end of season 1, why would it have anything to do with the much later explosion in season 2 as regards Loki and Sylvie and the retention of their memories?

I'll take the timey-wimey quantum entanglement explanation. :p 

Bah I'm just talking about memories not time slipping 

34 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But the memories changed after the explosion in season 2. Are you suggesting merely having ever entered the End of Time at the end of season 1 makes you immune to temporal loom being destroyed in season 2?

At the end of Season 1 Loki re-enters the TVA and it's changed with Kang statues, that's the TVA we are in Season 2 with characters who don't remember Loki. Because he/she Lokis were chilling somewhere else in space/time sort of outside of the outside of space time that the TVA is in whatever was triggered with the death of He Who Remains they didn't experience it. Loki is experiencing the TVA during different moments in TVA time so some versions know him and some don't.

The ones he gathers AFTER the last episode, after Spaghetti - those are just variants in different timelines who never entered the TVA. 

• Halal 1

There are questions that aren't answered about the TVA, anyway. For instance, did anyone but me think that facility Ouroboros was hanging out in in the timeline looked like it could've been a predecessor of the TVA?

If that were the case, it's just a place in the timeline that got splintered off into its own thing. 

• Halal 1

For all the nonsense that happened in the other episodes I actually liked this finale. The other episodes simply exist for content and entertainment and fakeouts with sprinkles of storytelling because this finale was the only one that actually matters and has consequence. 

Also Tom Hiddleston is charasmatically goated. Finale couldn't have hit hard without him.

That was about as excellent a finale as you could ask for - pretty much letting loose and actually going for broke for once in an MCU show. I have absolutely no idea how a Kang Multiversal War is a threat anymore (they seemed to hint that Ant-Man 3 was meaningless with that comment of a 616 Kang variant) but who cares - an excellent eendd to both Loki the show and Loki the character (I can't really imagine a season 3 of the show now). 

35 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Currently, there are no plans for a third season.

WWW.DIGITALSPY.COM

"We approached this as like two halves of a book."

I'm actually happy to see that - this really closed things out. If they want to rename it to The TVA or something and make that a season 3 that could work better but I'd say leave well enough alone.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

That was about as excellent a finale as you could ask for - pretty much letting loose and actually going for broke for once in an MCU show. I have absolutely no idea how a Kang Multiversal War is a threat anymore (they seemed to hint that Ant-Man 3 was meaningless with that comment of a 616 Kang variant) but who cares - an excellent eendd to both Loki the show and Loki the character (I can't really imagine a season 3 of the show now). 

I wonder if this was the original planned ending or if it they reworked it to effectively write out Kang from the MCU in light of Majors' problems.

• Halal 1

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wonder if this was the original planned ending or if it they reworked it to effectively write out Kang from the MCU in light of Majors' problems.

An executive producer on Loki season 2 said that Loki season 2 had no reshoots. Could be bullshit, but why claim anything at all unless to tout this show was so thoroughly planned out it didn't even need the reshoots all big productions usually get? So who knows - the ending didn't feel written that way (as if to write around Majors) and it still leaves the post-credits Kang gathering scene from Ant-Man 3 as an anomaly if they were to move on completely at this point. They easily could if they wanted to but so much build up about a multiversal war never to see one? We'd live but that'd be weird.

WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

Not only did Loki season 2 forgo any reshoots after Jonathan Majors was arrested, but it's apparently the first MCU project to not do any reshoots at all.

I really liked it. They didn't explain why the time slipping only happened to him, but I think they pretty much stuck the landing.

It also doesn't really seem like Marvel is in "crisis" as one publication made it out to seem. This makes it seem like the Kang the Conqueror story never has to happen, and gives them a way out.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

I really liked it. They didn't explain why the time slipping only happened to him, but I think they pretty much stuck the landing.

It also doesn't really seem like Marvel is in "crisis" as one publication made it out to seem. This makes it seem like the Kang the Conqueror story never has to happen, and gives them a way out.

HWR admitted he was the one who caused Loki to timeslip in order to put what was happening in motion.

I liked it overall. Found the entire season to be a bit too complex but that's a personal thing. Between multiverses, timelines, dimensions, and all that shit, I start to blank. Visually it was wonderful! I hope they leave the ending as is, it's bittersweet for Loki as someone said and a good close-out for him but I doubt they're done with Tom in that role. He's so good. I really hope they drop Majors and this whole Kang, I'm so over it already. He's a boring villain but served his purpose in this show. And yes, I know the next Avengers is literally called Kang Dynasty but hey, they can change things. 

That was a beautiful and fun ending for MCU’s best/most complex character. I was thinking of the worlds tree from what I remember seeing on the GotG cartoon series with Loki involved. Loved seeing them go all Doctor Strange with him living the various timelines to get to where he needs to be. I agree that it sort of erases our big bad and whatever direction they were heading in. I wonder if this is why the new Captain America movie scored so low in early previews and now heading back for extensive reshoots. 

30 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Doesn't it? He's admitting he gave him the power to time slip but being pompous about it.

7 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

It was his means to come back to power when Loki would kill Sylvie, but he didn't. 

No, no, not why he'd WANT Loki to have the power, but why Loki was able to have the power. That part they didn't explain. It's not clear how HWR can give someone powers, when everything he does relies on technology and gadgets. We also don't actually see him do that, just that he says he somehow directed the circumstances for Loki to get those abilities, but Sylvie was there in the same time in the same place and didn't get them.

It might not matter to some people but just having Loki randomly get an entire new ability unrelated to his other abilities for no explained reason isn't very satisfying.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Reputator said:

No, no, not why he'd WANT Loki to have the power, but why Loki was able to have the power. That part they didn't explain. It's not clear how HWR can give someone powers, when everything he does relies on technology and gadgets. We also don't actually see him do that, just that he says he somehow directed the circumstances for Loki to get those abilities, but Sylvie was there in the same time in the same place and didn't get them.

It might not matter to some people but just having Loki randomly get an entire new ability unrelated to his other abilities for no explained reason isn't very satisfying.

Yeah, HWR says he "knew" about Loki's time slipping and anticipated it as a result, not that he "gave" it to Loki or anything. It's anomalous for sure.

The visuals, sound, performances and vibes for the finale were really lovely. But... I don't know that it or the whole second season "worked" at all. Not in the somewhat show-literal "how did Loki do that" sense, which I don't really care about (the MCU has always been very cagey about some Asgardians being "gods" and what the hell that even means at a basic level) but more about what this whole thing is supposed to mean beyond for Loki specifically.

I don't need time slipping explained, but I don't know that the Groundhog Day scene in the TVA landed when it seems like he spent centuries learning engineering with the sole purpose of shaving a few minutes off Victor's loom speedrun. I appreciate they need some way to get Loki back at The End of Time, but... I don't think that landed either? Kang telling Loki the only way forward is to kill Sylvie is dumb since the audience knows that there's zero chance of that happening. And not for nothing but Kang should know that too. He's not stupid.

And that just gums up the whole premise in general. Kang presenting Loki with a trolley problem where one track is Sylvie (let's also acknowledge that Loki and Sylvie barely interacted this whole season, so the hook being love that wasn't on screen at all in season 2 was weird decision) and the other track is all of existence isn't REALLY a choice. This is made muddier at the end since it seems like Loki is managing infinite trolleys now? He presumably wants to let people have free will which I guess will also leave it up to the TVA to manage Kangs? And we have to kind of assume that everyone in the TVA knows they were black bagged and is just cool with still working there? Is their remit just managing Kang scope creep? I don't get it. The impact of things are big or small at all the wrong times in this show. Sylvie carpet bombed entire timelines in season 1! Presumably killing quintillions of people! But she never really faces a consequence. Meanwhile Renslayer gets pruned and sent into The Void for an attempted TVA coup.

I dunno. Assuming this is Hiddleston's MCU swan song, again, the vibes were great. The show pretty consistently looked rad and I think the music in this season and especially the finale was great. And it's touching to see Loki (or this version of him anyway) grow from someone who was gonna nuke New Mexico with the destroyer because Thor happened to be there to someone willing to do the work to keep existence existing. I just wish we had any fucking idea what that entailed for him aside from looking incredible. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The visuals, sound, performances and vibes for the finale were really lovely. But... I don't know that it or the whole second season "worked" at all. Not in the somewhat show-literal "how did Loki do that" sense, which I don't really care about (the MCU has always been very cagey about some Asgardians being "gods" and what the hell that even means at a basic level) but more about what this whole thing is supposed to mean beyond for Loki specifically.

I don't need time slipping explained, but I don't know that the Groundhog Day scene in the TVA landed when it seems like he spent centuries learning engineering with the sole purpose of shaving a few minutes off Victor's loom speedrun. I appreciate they need some way to get Loki back at The End of Time, but... I don't think that landed either? Kang telling Loki the only way forward is to kill Sylvie is dumb since the audience knows that there's zero chance of that happening. And not for nothing but Kang should know that too. He's not stupid.

And that just gums up the whole premise in general. Kang presenting Loki with a trolley problem where one track is Sylvie (let's also acknowledge that Loki and Sylvie barely interacted this whole season, so the hook being love that wasn't on screen at all in season 2 was weird decision) and the other track is all of existence isn't REALLY a choice. This is made muddier at the end since it seems like Loki is managing infinite trolleys now? He presumably wants to let people have free will which I guess will also leave it up to the TVA to manage Kangs? And we have to kind of assume that everyone in the TVA knows they were black bagged and is just cool with still working there? Is their remit just managing Kang scope creep? I don't get it. The impact of things are big or small at all the wrong times in this show. Sylvie carpet bombed entire timelines in season 1! Presumably killing quintillions of people! But she never really faces a consequence. Meanwhile Renslayer gets pruned and sent into The Void for an attempted TVA coup.

I dunno. Assuming this is Hiddleston's MCU swan song, again, the vibes were great. The show pretty consistently looked rad and I think the music in this season and especially the finale was great. And it's touching to see Loki (or this version of him anyway) grow from someone who was gonna nuke New Mexico with the destroyer because Thor happened to be there to someone willing to do the work to keep existence existing. I just wish we had any fucking idea what that entailed for him aside from looking incredible. 

Can't fault anything you're saying. My expectations for how well things landed were somewhat scaled down I think from yours, and that might be because of how the season started. Loki having to relive the TVA exploding tens of thousands of times in order to rush through Victor was...........itself rather rushed. If it had more time maybe the characters around him would have reacted more naturally. At least some of them had SOME reaction to his weirdness, but yeah. I get where you felt that.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Can't fault anything you're saying. My expectations for how well things landed were somewhat scaled down I think from yours, and that might be because of how the season started. Loki having to relive the TVA exploding tens of thousands of times in order to rush through Victor was...........itself rather rushed. If it had more time maybe the characters around him would have reacted more naturally. At least some of them had SOME reaction to his weirdness, but yeah. I get where you felt that.

I think my expectations for MCU entertainment are reasonably well managed at this point. I don’t need everything to land and even though I’m being harsh on the finale I still liked it a lot even if the season was less good than the first. I feel like there’s probably a really good Loki movie or two across the 8-10 hours of content in the 2 seasons, so I can’t complain too much. 

Also I appreciate the irony of being the guy who regularly says “it’s fine for stuff to not connect perfectly! Things can be retconned! I don’t need to know what it all means!” And here I’m saying, “what the hell does it all mean!” :p But to try to land that mental gymnastics routine, I care less about how it all connects together as an MCU as long as the movie / show works as its own thing. I love the character closure for Loki and Mobius, I feel like everyone else got pretty short shrift. Again, it’s great to see Loki finally be burdened by glorious purpose, I just wish we had a better idea of what it was. 

Regardless though I’ll for sure watch the ending scene a few more times. The MCU has rightfully eaten shit for some of its substandard looks lately, but that scene looked and sounded great. 

• Halal 1