Loki Season 2 coming Oct 5th (trailer up)

While entertaining overall, this season is nowhere near as fantastic as the first one and it really feels like it just took too damned long to get to this point (whatever it's supposed to be) and we only have two episodes left in the season.  It's kinda suffering from the same issues that plagued Ahsoka in that regard: just as things are getting really interesting, the season is almost over.

Just like others have posted, I also feel like there's about half an episode or at least a couple of scenes missing between the first and second episodes that could've tightened the plot threads involving Hunter X-05 and Dox/The Loyalists.

• True 2

So they finally give us a proper explanation for the characters' plans and motivations in episode 4 only to reset everything, rofl. Well that certainly explains why the campiness was off the charts. Nothing made sense because it didn't matter, so I have to imagine the intention was to not take this season (so far) so serious.

I'm assuming that now every timeline is possible and this is the MCU's excuse to reboot or branch (haha) out going forward.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Hmmm, wow. No, they didn't wipe out all the characters, that ending was obviously a misdirect. But I sure as hell don't where it's going with just two more episodes.

Even if these characters return, seems like everything they have been doing doesn't matter. Feels like a blank slate going forward and they're going to come up with something new to do.

10 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Even if these characters return, seems like everything they have been doing doesn't matter. Feels like a blank slate going forward and they're going to come up with something new to do.

If that actually happens that would be insanely stupid. As it is, it seems like they're building up to some Deus Ex Machina ending where someone or something swoops in and reverses it all, which is also stupid. So admittedly there aren't a lot of story solutions that won't be off-putting, and the chances are slim they come up with something satisfying that doesn't throw away everything they've built toward but also isn't a pointless cop-out.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

If that actually happens that would be insanely stupid. As it is, it seems like they're building up to some Deus Ex Machina ending where someone or something swoops in and reverses it all, which is also stupid. So admittedly there aren't a lot of story solutions that won't be off-putting, and the chances are slim they come up with something satisfying that doesn't throw away everything they've built toward but also isn't a pointless cop-out.

If everyone turns out to not have been spaghettified... well I don't know what our characters are going to do. I only know that everything they've been trying to do so far is thrown out the window. Doctor Strange appearance? Wanda? 

That was a good episode, pushing the story forward considerably. I'm wondering if they are transitioning Loki to go from being the God of Mischief to the God of Stories since his newest "power", the ability to time slip even within the TVA, which is outside of time, could help him fight Kang the Conqueror.

One thing bugs me though: why is Loki time slipping in the first place, and why only him? Additionally, why does Sylvie remember everything and have a tempad when no one else does? Other than these two things I felt the season has been pretty solid on the timey-wimey front.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

One thing bugs me though: why is Loki time slipping in the first place, and why only him? Additionally, why does Sylvie remember everything and have a tempad when no one else does? Other than these two things I felt the season has been pretty solid on the timey-wimey front.

I don't have an explanation for the first one, but I assumed the reason Loki and Sylvie have their memories is because they're Asgardians. The writers weren't exactly subtle about reminding us that they're gods. :p

• True 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I don't have an explanation for the first one, but I assumed the reason Loki and Sylvie have their memories is because they're Asgardians. The writers weren't exactly subtle about reminding us that they're gods. :p

That was my assumption, but there are all kinds of powerful beings out there, more powerful than Loki and Sylvie. Where is the line drawn for who remembers and who doesn't? Feels arbitrary but probably the only explanation we'll get.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

That was my assumption, but there are all kinds of powerful beings out there, more powerful than Loki and Sylvie. Where is the line drawn for who remembers and who doesn't? Feels arbitrary but probably the only explanation we'll get.

Yeah but this other more-powerful beings aren't on this show. 

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

On the season that everyone agreed was missing at least half an episode between the first and second episodes? :p

Well that's why I mentioned the Sylvie remembering thing as a criticism of the episode's writing! :p Also hard to believe there's only one episode left - a lot is gonna have to happen in the next episode.

I'm also confused as to where the post-credits Quantumania scene with all the Kangs fits into what's going on in Loki. Is Quantumania happening after season 2 even though it came out beforehand? Etc.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Shhhhhhhh, you're not supposed to think about such things!

Personally my favorite episode was the last one because I found it to be comedy gold in how it killed, pruned, and spaghettified all of the built-up stories. Was I laughing like a mad man whose brain was broken? Sure, but at least I was laughing.

This season has gone meta at the expense of tight writing. Sylvie can seemingly do anything she wants, so why does she choose a McD's life? Well obviously even a god can't escape the oppressive force of capitalistic exploitation which convinces the masses that life is dully working a 9-5.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

This season has gone meta at the expense of tight writing. Sylvie can seemingly do anything she wants, so why does she choose a McD's life? Well obviously even a god can't escape the oppressive force of capitalistic exploitation which convinces the masses that life is dully working a 9-5.

Sylvie's choices and decisions remain the most baffling on the show, right behind Renslayer. Loki has been warning Sylvie all season that if there is no TVA, branched timelines will disintegrate and the Kang Wars will eventually be in full swing. It literally takes Sylvie's timeline being destroyed around her to finally understand Loki's urgency. Sylvie can be right that Loki has personal reasons to restore the previous order but he's still right about timelines being destroyed if nothing is done. Sylvie needs to get her head out of her ass.

As for her life, I think she intentionally chose the most boring, mundane life possible because that's what she wants - boring and normal. That part makes sense to me.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Sylvie's choices and decisions remain the most baffling on the show, right behind Renslayer. Loki has been warning Sylvie all season that if there is no TVA, branched timelines will disintegrate and the Kang Wars will eventually be in full swing. It literally takes Sylvie's timeline being destroyed around her to finally understand Loki's urgency. Sylvie can be right that Loki has personal reasons to restore the previous order but he's still right about timelines being destroyed if nothing is done. Sylvie needs to get her head out of her ass.

As for her life, I think she intentionally chose the most boring, mundane life possible because that's what she wants - boring and normal. That part makes sense to me.

I think Renslayer is a female variant of He Who Remains, and had the same affection too her like our 2 Loki’s variants. Maybe why he brought the 2 of them together at the end of season 1 and it’s ending.

Overall I’ve enjoyed the season and the mystery behind it all. I miss the previous season on the various disastrous timelines we visited. Although this season has gone to some dark places too. Last episode was fun and everyone being the opposite of who they are variant wise. Look forward to seeing how it all plays out in the end.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

To be more clear, I meant everyone but "the Lokis" lost their memory much later in the previous episode when the temporal loom exploded, so why would what happened in season 1 affect that when they confronted He Who Remains?

Because they were at the end of time when all time got messed up and then they reentered the tva. Miss minutes I think also resets memories 

• Thanks 1

@Greatoneshere Everyone got reinserted into their respective places on the timeline as they were when they left. Sylvie had no place to go on the timeline, the closest thing was that 80s McDonalds, and when she was last there she knew Loki and the TVA. Now why she also remembers everything after that, including the explosion, I don't know.

• True 1

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Maybe, but why then? Meaning, why would doing that have anything to do with memory loss? Also, they lost their memories later when the temporal loom failed, not when they killed He Who Remains.

By going to the end of time and interacting with what exists there, their physical makeup became quantum entangled with it, thereby making them always separate from any particular time line. Obviously.

:p 

• Haha 1