SHOULD Jason get a wittle puppy wuppy cuddle boy

stepee

Should Jason get a puppy?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jason get a puppy

49 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Fizzzzle is this because you think what he really needs is a really obese cat?

No I just feel like he'd be one of those guys who would feed his dog a vegan diet even though he himself is not vegan, then he would slash everyone's tires at the dog park because parks that require a parking lot are stupid. Then I'd be like bro I agree but fucking chill, goddamn.

• Haha 1

Btw, (yes I’m hijacking this thread) my puppy is 10 weeks old this week, I’ve had him for 3.

My malamute, Shadow, who was the best dog ever, passed away at 11 years old on June 8th. It was out of nowhere and seems to have been a blood clot that got thrown to her heart or brain. I had her since she was 6 weeks old.

We actually reserved this new puppy 10 days before she passed (we were on a waiting list for just over two years as it’s a very specific and rare breed that we wanted, plus we wanted a puppy that looked similar to Shadow so she would think it’s hers, otherwise we would’ve gone the adoption route). He was essentially supposed to be “her puppy” as we had the feeling that Shadow always wanted to be a mom by how she would “play” with her toys (would walk around with them and just lay down and lick them and cuddle with them - never destructive or rough with them after she turned 2, unless it was a bone-type toy), and we researched and saw that introducing a puppy typically extends the life of an older dog. It honestly felt and still feels that she was ripped away from me out of nowhere, she showed basically no signs of being sick until a few days before and we had her at the vet literally every day as soon as something seemed wrong. It’s been so unbelievably rough since her passing, and getting this puppy has been very bittersweet since he was supposed to be “hers” and she was taken barely 3 weeks before he arrived.

We originally had a different name picked out for him, but decided that we wanted one to connect him to Shadow, so we named him ”Erebus”, who was the Greek (and Roman) god of shadows.

IMG-2888.jpg  
IMG-7864.jpg
IMG-7870.jpg
IMG-7885.jpg
IMG-7902.jpg
IMG-7914.jpg
IMG-7920.jpg
IMG-7923.jpg
IMG-7930.jpg
IMG-7932.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 7
  • Hype 3

As someone who has had a dog for the majority of my life, I don't recommend dogs as pets. Don't get me wrong, dogs are very loveable and I loved my dog, but it is also nice to not have to take care of a creature that demands so much time and attention. Your house will always smell like dog too. You may go nose blind to it, but to everyone else, it is obvious no matter what. Also, your dog needs to take a shit in a blizzard? Welp, now you gotta go out in it.

It is a massive commitment that will end in tears. I was happy to have a dog, but never again.

As an owner of a 2 dogs, yes on getting a dog. Just be careful in wearing anything black with the white fur. My newest pup is just over 8months old now and is about 75lbs. Still loves to cuddles in my lap (was a moment ago) going through a growth spurt we think again now. Getting along well with Fozzie Bear but can get on his nerves and ours every now and then. Pardon the thumb, but this was from last month. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Hype 1

50 minutes ago, Bacon said:

As someone who has had a dog for the majority of my life, I don't recommend dogs as pets. Don't get me wrong, dogs are very loveable and I loved my dog, but it is also nice to not have to take care of a creature that demands so much time and attention. Your house will always smell like dog too. You may go nose blind to it, but to everyone else, it is obvious no matter what. Also, your dog needs to take a shit in a blizzard? Welp, now you gotta go out in it.

It is a massive commitment that will end in tears. I was happy to have a dog, but never again.

FWIW, the outdoors thing does depend on if you have a fence and the size of the dog. With my 100lbs malamute, she was fine on her own out back (and loved blizzards :lol:). Some dog breeds also don't produce dander (even ones that shed) so there's not much smell unless they have an accident in the house. :sun: 

The "end in tears" thing, though... yes. The breed of the puppy I got supposedly lives to be 16-19 years (despite getting to 110-120lbs), but we'll see.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Some dogs breeds also don't produce dander (even ones that shed) so there's not much smell

I'll believe it when I don't smell it!

As in, so far, I have yet to enter the home of a dog owner and not smell dog.

After a quick Google search, lol like, none of those hypoallergenic dogs are even close to common(and not ITT), but I bet 100% they still put out an obvious odor. Definitely feels like a lie dog owners tell themselves. Especially considering that hypoallergenic pets still set off allergies.

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

After a quick Google search, lol like, none of those hypoallergenic dogs are even close to common(and not ITT), but I bet 100% they still put out an obvious odor. Definitely feels like a lie dog owners tell themselves. Especially considering that hypoallergenic pets still set off allergies.

Poodles aren’t common? :raisedbrow:

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Poodles aren’t common? :raisedbrow:

No. Not around here. The only person I know who had them was my dad's cousin. We went over every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I had to take allergy pills or I was going to feel like I had a cold. I will say, while you can still obviously smell the dogs, it wasn't so bad when compared to homes that owned beagles or pugs and the like. Of course, there was also the smell of turkey, ham, and blinis in the air.

12 minutes ago, Nokra said:

ITT, @Baconmakes me nervous that my apartment smells like shit. :daydream:

It's not like shit, but it is a very specific smell. Like, yep, dogs do be here. That said, if your apartment is clean and freshly vacuumed, it makes a big difference. It's not like they smell like horses :sick:

I absolutely love dogs and I think mine has absolutely increased the quality of my life. I think I've shared at least one of these before, but here is my guy Sam (named after Sam Gamgee from Lord of the Rings :nerd:) and me on a hike on Mt. Hood and another hike on Silver Star Mt. (in Washington). 

p7neXuM.jpg dnyphao.jpg

I wouldn't trade Sam for anything. Still, it sounds like a dog isn't really going to fit well in Jason's lifestyle, so I'd have to vote "no" for now. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Hype 1

I would love to be in a place (physically, financially, mentally) where I could have a dog, but I don’t see it happening any time soon. But I’m over at my sister’s house pretty often, and she has two dogs, so I get a regular dose of doggy time. 

• Like 2