Dragon Quest series has sold over 88 Million copies

Remarkableriots

2 hours ago, eventide11 said:

DQ8 was the only one that held my interest past 15-20 hrs. That one is a masterclass in JRPGs

I vaguely remember trying to grind some levels in DQ8 and putting it down. Unfortunately, I never got around to finishing it, and I sold my collection at that time after being laid off from work.

I liked DQXI. I'd be interested in trying DQX if it ever got a port. The DS game was mildly interesting, the one where you're an angel or whatever using a custom avatar.

Other than that, I find it really hard to enjoy the games, at least the older ones. They always feel like Final Fantasy without any of the ambition. And I fucking hate that awful theme song they use for every trailer/intro. It just grates on me how generic and uninteresting it is. But I suppose that's what the fans demand.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I liked DQXI. I'd be interested in trying DQX if it ever got a port. The DS game was mildly interesting, the one where you're an angel or whatever using a custom avatar.

Other than that, I find it really hard to enjoy the games, at least the older ones. They always feel like Final Fantasy without any of the ambition. And I fucking hate that awful theme song they use for every trailer/intro. It just grates on me how generic and uninteresting it is. But I suppose that's what the fans demand.

DQXI and DQIX are the two I beat.  Maybe I’ll get to 8 and 5 someday, but I think I’ve mostly had my fill as well.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Apparently there is a fan translation of X but an official offline port would be nice. I put over 800 hours into DQIX. For almost a year I'd switch my router from WPA to WEP temporarily each morning to check the online store and would play dungeons at lunch and before bed and I didn't even 100% it. VI and XI were my favorites and while I liked every game, they tend to be a bit of a slow and I've only replayed the first one.

10 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Did you play / enjoy 8? 

I don’t care for the ones pre-8 that I’ve played. 7 was hyped to high heaven by some people I trusted and good god I found that game to be a slog. 

But 8 is one of my favorite games ever. 

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'd be interested in trying DQX if it ever got a port.

3 hours ago, dualhunter said:

Apparently there is a fan translation of X but an official offline port would be nice.

Just as a heads up, there is an official offline port of Dragon Quest X that does exist. It was announced in May 2021 at the Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary special live stream and came out in Japan last year in September 2022, made in-house by Square Enix (co-developed by B.B Studio). It's on Switch, PS5 and PC via Steam. No US release date has been announced but I'm assuming it will come over here given most DQ games now get localized and a mainline DQ entry just sitting there to be translated and make money from the past that the rest of the world has never played? They'd be stupid not too. So hopefully soon maybe. Here's news about an expansion for the offline port that came out just this past May in Japan, so they are continuing to support the offline port.

dragonquestxofflineexpansion.png?fit=120
WWW.SILICONERA.COM

Dragon Quest X Offline's massive The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Ally expansion is set to release on May 26, 2023.

• Like 1

I got the first one with my Nintendo Power subscription. It was my introduction to RPGs. I played that game so much. I think the next one I played was 4 or 5, whichever one had you play through intro quests for all of the companions before you got the the MC. I didn't play any others until 8 and then the most recent one.

The only side game I have is the action one on PS4.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just as a heads up, there is an official offline port of Dragon Quest X that does exist. It was announced in May 2021 at the Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary special live stream and came out in Japan last year in September 2022, made in-house by Square Enix (co-developed by B.B Studio). It's on Switch, PS5 and PC via Steam. No US release date has been announced but I'm assuming it will come over here given most DQ games now get localized and a mainline DQ entry just sitting there to be translated and make money from the past that the rest of the world has never played? They'd be stupid not too. So hopefully soon maybe. Here's news about an expansion for the offline port that came out just this past May in Japan, so they are continuing to support the offline port.

dragonquestxofflineexpansion.png?fit=120
WWW.SILICONERA.COM

Dragon Quest X Offline's massive The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Ally expansion is set to release on May 26, 2023.

That's cool and all, but I have zero interest in playing an offline version of an online game. Kind of kills the point to me.

23 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

That's cool and all, but I have zero interest in playing an offline version of an online game. Kind of kills the point to me.

That's fair - in which case, I don't think we're ever getting the online version, but you never know. The online version is still supported to this day with new content in Japan so they still could maybe.