Rumor: Nintendo Switch successor to play current gen titles on “low pc settings”

stepee

This is why I’m sad Reggie retired.

He was the hardheaded American counterpart to the Japanese heads of the company. If it weren’t for him forcing the execs to include Wii Sports with the Wii in America, the console would have failed here.

• Confused 1

My personal opinion is compared to previous generations of consoles, Nintendo won't do a hard cut off this time around, and instead have a transition period of say 1-2 years of cross-gen games. It would follow a similar route that Sony is doing with the PS4 to the PS5, which in their case is proving quite successful from a business sense. 

Nintendo would be stupid to force their +120 million install base, and simply drop the Switch 1, and immediately go buy the Switch 2. That's how you lose momentum, and users, at least that's how I look at it. 

I don't foresee this as a typical generational transition, and past precedent I don't think we can exactly rely on. 

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

My personal opinion is compared to previous generations of consoles, Nintendo won't do a hard cut off this time around, and instead have a transition period of say 1-2 years of cross-gen games. It would follow a similar route that Sony is doing with the PS4 to the PS5, which in their case is proving quite successful from a business sense. 

Nintendo would be stupid to force their +120 million install base, and simply drop the Switch 1, and immediately go buy the Switch 2. That's how you lose momentum, and users, at least that's how I look at it. 

I don't foresee this as a typical generational transition, and past precedent I don't think we can exactly rely on. 

Backwards compatibility is king these days. People LOVED still being able to play their PS1 games. 

23 minutes ago, Dodger said:

So during the MS/FTC clusterfuck trial Bobby Kotick talked about the Switch and mentioned they believe the next Switch will be close to Gen 8 in power, so basically a PS4 if we're lucky. Usual grain of salt and all of that. 

I mean, since we’ll have the series s for the foreseeable, it’s not exactly a stretch to think that with some technical wizardry, we might get a range of Switch 2 miracle ports in the vain of Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal.

1 minute ago, gamer.tv said:

I mean, since we’ll have the series s for the foreseeable, it’s not exactly a stretch to think that with some technical wizardry, we might get a range of Switch 2 miracle ports in the vain of Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal.

Kotick did also say if that's the target they could probably get COD running on the Switch, since one of the arguments against MS was the Nintendo deal doesn't matter since the Switch can't run COD but I always figured they meant they would bring it to the next Switch, whenever it comes out. 

I’m sure he’s right depending on how you look at it. It could have gpu performance of Xbox One X and that would be 8th gen power but also more powerful than the Series S. And then maybe the cpu is more modern in addition. I don’t think the Switch 2 will be even as powerful as a Series S besides maybe when counting dlss, but the distinction doesn’t matter much is what I mean.

I expect for it to be a cpu that leans closer to this gen than last and a gpu that’s somewhere around a ps4 pro but can take advantage of dlss and other modern advances since last gen. Similar to where switch stood, but in a better position for ports due to a more comparable cpu and better scalability with internal resolutions on the gpu side.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m sure he’s right depending on how you look at it. It could have gpu performance of Xbox One X and that would be 8th gen power but also more powerful than the Series S. And then maybe the cpu is more modern in addition. I don’t think the Switch 2 will be even as powerful as a Series S besides maybe when counting dlss, but the distinction doesn’t matter much is what I mean.

I expect for it to be a cpu that leans closer to this gen than last and a gpu that’s somewhere around a ps4 pro but can take advantage of dlss and other modern advances since last gen. Similar to where switch stood, but in a better position for ports due to a more comparable cpu and better scalability with internal resolutions on the gpu side.

I bet Switch 2 costs $2k and is just a 4090 with a big battery glued to a screen with a controller duct taped on

• True 1
  • Hype 1

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I bet Switch 2 costs $2k and is just a 4090 with a big battery glued to a screen with a controller duct taped on

FB7E5111-795C-40AF-A35E-EF512D4F96C3
ROG.ASUS.COM

ROG’s exclusive XG Mobile ecosystem of external GPUs provide amped-up horsepower with a built in I/O hub, allowing higher bandwidth to Flow devices with a proprietary PCIe connection...

joycon on each side and screen in the middle,

boom

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's upgradeable by adding 4090s, like a Lego set. It helps bulk people up while playing as an added benefit. Portable nuclear reactor to power system sold separately.

Ars did a nice write up on backwards compatibility for a potential Switch 2. Something they mention that I didn't realize is that the games on the Switch package a full Maxwell driver stack and game specific shaders in the software itself. Assuming the next SoC uses a more modern architecture like Ampere or Lovelace, that means a Switch 2 would not be binary compatible with existing games. So they'd need to custom build some hardware for backwards compatibility, they'd need to implement some general software emulation, or they'd need to release individual software patches for all old games.

Assuming Nintendo continues with a newer nVidia SoC, that basically means that they'll have to put some real effort into backwards compatibility if they want it at all. It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing.

Personally, I'd guess that they implement a new cartridge format, so they don't need hardware for BC. Downloadable games can just be patched individually.