Rumor: Nintendo Switch successor to play current gen titles on “low pc settings”

stepee

Rumor:

Nintendo Switch follow up to be powerful enough to run current gen titles as ‘well’ as Series S while leveraging dlss.

Nintendo not planning to be left out of being an option for third party ports this gen. Switch Pro refresh didn’t happen but was planned before the pandemic and they will do one this gen to make sure they don’t get left behind. Possibly using dlss on up ultra performance mode from very low native resolutions on the launch model to keep compatibility. Nintendo is counting on those who are bothered by poor image quality being aware that current gen games are really only meant for the pro per market research.

Ran through google translator.

Should probably give it enough juice for DLSS 3 and frame generation. Of course, the same people who can't notice a dip from 60 to 25 FPS will also talk about "fake frames" and "increased input latency" because everyone's a clown, but it would really super juice the Switch successor. I imagine third-party Switch ports to such a machine would also mean more PC versions of games with DLSS.

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

Where did this come from?

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Should probably give it enough juice for DLSS 3 and frame generation. Of course, the same people who can't notice a dip from 60 to 25 FPS will also talk about "fake frames" and "increased input latency" because everyone's a clown, but it would really super juice the Switch successor. I imagine third-party Switch ports to such a machine would also mean more PC versions of games with DLSS.

DLSS3 has to target VRR screens and hit ~80fps to be reasonable.

If DLSS 3.2 (or something) or FSR 3 (big if) can improve on that and make 60fps viable, then we're talking.  But that could still be one expensive handheld with poor battery life.

15 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Where did this come from?

DLSS3 has to target VRR screens and hit ~80fps to be reasonable.

If DLSS 3.2 (or something) or FSR 3 (big if) can improve on that and make 60fps viable, then we're talking.  But that could still be one expensive handheld with poor battery life.

Im more than confident FG will be fine for 60fps by the time this rolls out. I’ve played 60fps capped FG plenty on handheld (no longer have to do that tho ty asus muahaha) and it’s fine. On the bigger screen it’s not the best last I checked but still like 500x better than the alternative of 30fps. dlss3 is just really all it’s cracked up to be. 

As far as being bad for battery life I’m not sure how doubling the frame rate with AI and being able to render from lower internal resolution is bad for battery life. I would actually go the other way and say that dlss3 could be an absolute gamer changer for battery life on handhelds by allowing 60fps without the battery compromise that normally means. It makes me really want amd to get their act together so these pc handhelds. I honestly think it’s simply needed on the cpu end if we are going to see any decent battery life this gen for 60fps handheld.

Just now, Chris- said:

Honestly they don’t need to change much…Keep the joycons, Pro controller, dock, form factor, etc. Just make it stronger. Hell I don’t even care if they improve Nintendo Online, just give me a better Switch. 

It seems like such an obvious move to do this that I keep forgetting there is always a possibility Nintendo doesn’t just do Switch 2, and that scares me

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

Honestly they don’t need to change much…Keep the joycons, Pro controller, dock, form factor, etc. Just make it stronger. Hell I don’t even care if they improve Nintendo Online, just give me a better Switch. 

I’d be OK with this with a few tweaks (analogue sticks being one). I could get behind the idea of the Switch being a brand, like the iPhone - maybe even with a trade in deal to make upgrading more attractive.

Just keep the switch's functionality and pro controller etc. Drastically improve it's online interface and try to make the games run in 4K. That's all I really want. While playing TOTK it looks like somebody smeared vaseline all over my OLED. :|

If they completely abandon the Switch for something that caters to the crowd like Wii I'll be disgusted. 

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Just keep the switch's functionality and pro controller etc. Drastically improve it's online interface and try to make the games run in 4K. That's all I really want. While playing TOTK it looks like somebody smeared vaseline all over my OLED. :|

If the Deck can’t get there, I’m doubtful Nintendo will.  What I will hope for is for DLSS2 to clean things up a little, at whatever a reasonable target is for its spec. Portable mode IQ should be a big step up at least.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

If the Deck can’t get there, I’m doubtful Nintendo will.  What I will hope for is for DLSS2 to clean things up a little, at whatever a reasonable target is for its spec. Portable mode IQ should be a big step up at least.

What kind of visuals do you expect? Anything to compare it to?

They could definitely go for 4k if they used the dock as like an eGPU that also overclocked (or maybe returned a power-but-underclocked-for-handheld CPU to stock clocks) so that when you hooked it up to a TV it got a giant boost. That would dramatically increase the cost, so that's going to be a definite "lol no"

Wouldn't mind it as a separate "pro gamer" accessory, properly priced. Could replace the need for a mid-gen refresh, at least for docked players like myself.

9 hours ago, best3444 said:

What kind of visuals do you expect? Anything to compare it to?

I’m expecting slightly worse than Steam Deck spec on paper, but better IQ possibly from DLSS, which might let it take punch above it’s weight class in some games.

It’ll still struggle with current gen AAA games more than Series S.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I’m expecting slightly worse than Steam Deck spec on paper, but better IQ possibly from DLSS, which might let it lunch above it’s weight class in some games.

It’ll still struggle with current gen AAA games more than Series S.

It'll need to be significantly stronger than the Steam Deck to really actually keep getting this-gen ports for any reasonable amount of time. DLSS is damn good but uhh, the Deck's already severely challenged by cross-gen stuff, let alone stuff that's exclusively this-gen. (And not games specifically built to be super scalable like Diablo IV)

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the theoretical Switch 2 to other systems is power draw. So Switch 2 handheld would be running 15w max so even if it’s like the ROG it still will struggle with current gen without- further compromise/dlss stuff/nvidia’s chip being simply more powerful or something. I doubt Nintendo will have different performance profile when plugged in handheld but who knows.

On the other hand that also means that in docked mode it can suck power beyond even the pc handhelds since it doesn’t need to worry about heat either. So it will obviously be a lot more powerful than the deck in that regard as the deck never goes above 15w no matter how it’s plugged in. If the chip performed as well as ROG does 25-30watt, it’s already doing 1080p well, they already hit 4k dlss performance level for the internal native res.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

It'll need to be significantly stronger than the Steam Deck to really actually keep getting this-gen ports for any reasonable amount of time. DLSS is damn good but uhh, the Deck's already severely challenged by cross-gen stuff, let alone stuff that's exclusively this-gen. (And not games specifically built to be super scalable like Diablo IV)

I know.  I don’t expect any better from Nintendo.

People said the same about the Switch, and it still got several miracle ports.  Even if those are only worth a damn in handheld mode.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I know.  I don’t expect any better from Nintendo.

People said the same about the Switch, and it still got several miracle ports.  Even if those are only worth a damn in handheld mode.

Every Switch "miracle port" I've seen has been a tremendously compromised disaster and the definitively worst way to play said game that only received miracle status because it ran at all. I'm sure there was an exception or two, but I'd like to think they're aiming higher than "Isn't is amazing that this game technically runs??"

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Every Switch "miracle port" I've seen has been a tremendously compromised disaster and the definitely worst way to play said game that only received miracle status because it ran at all. I'm sure there was an exception or two, but I'd like to think they're aiming higher than "Isn't is amazing that this game technically runs??"

I’d like to think it too, but I know not to expect it.

Maybe if FSR 2.0 wasn’t a thing.  As it stands, console devs are already using it too much as a crutch, to questionable result with low input resolutions.  

It’s the same struggle that Series S will have more and more of.  It’s only going to compound on portable hardware.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the theoretical Switch 2 to other systems is power draw. So Switch 2 handheld would be running 15w max so even if it’s like the ROG it still will struggle with current gen without- further compromise/dlss stuff/nvidia’s chip being simply more powerful or something. I doubt Nintendo will have different performance profile when plugged in handheld but who knows.

On the other hand that also means that in docked mode it can suck power beyond even the pc handhelds since it doesn’t need to worry about heat either. So it will obviously be a lot more powerful than the deck in that regard as the deck never goes above 15w no matter how it’s plugged in. If the chip performed as well as ROG does 25-30watt, it’s already doing 1080p well, they already hit 4k dlss performance level for the internal native res.

RUMOR: Nintendo Switch successor will use human sweat and Doritos dust as a power source while in handheld mode. This innovative new technology patented by Nintendo will allow for performance well beyond any other console on the market for their average customer. In dock mode it will essentially be a glorified clock unless you eat your Doritos directly over it so it can be powered off of the crumbs.

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

20 hours ago, stepee said:

Switch 2 w/ the Tegra Drake would be more like 5-7 watts package power in handheld, and like 15w in docked, maybe 20w in some cases, so on par with Switch 1 in essence. In terms of raw horsepower, it still puts it broadly similar to the APU in the Steam Deck, but with the added benefit of Tensor, and RT Cores, and simply a more modern feature set. 

As far as BC is concerned, what I can see happening is when running Switch 1 games in handheld mode, the BC mode will run games on the "docked" profile of the Switch 1's power, though this I'm assuming the Switch 2 will use a 1080p panel instead of 720p, which ultimately could go either way. 

Switch 2 more than likely is going to leverage DLSS heavily to reach 4K, though some games will natively use 4K. But I could see the same with handheld mode too. Say it is a 1080p screen, internally render it at 540p, and DLSS upscale it to 1080p, which is the same leap as 1080p internal to DLSS upscale to 4K is in Docked mode. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

My worry is Nintendo is going to want to find a new way to “innovate” the next console. So it won’t be a “console that’s also a handheld” it’ll be something that’s… I don’t know… weird?

I keep going back to this from time to time, and wonder if perhaps this time, due to the concept of "Gaming-On-The-Go" being not a fad, but a genuinely good way to game, and provide flexibility, they'll stick with what works, and simply make improvements to the existing design. 

So things like better HD rumble (I hear PS5's is very good), Hall Effect Sticks, scrolling L/R bumpers, improved Gyro (240hz refresh vs. 60hz), better screen, better battery, etc. It can all be done. I get the impression the only real way to "innovate" would be "VR-On-The-Go," and that I think is years away, next decade even imo. 

I suppose they could expand their Labo stuff to test the waters more before going balls deep into it, but yeah. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo approaches this transition. 

1 hour ago, imthesoldier said:

Switch 2 w/ the Tegra Drake would be more like 5-7 watts package power in handheld, and like 15w in docked, maybe 20w in some cases, so on par with Switch 1 in essence. In terms of raw horsepower, it still puts it broadly similar to the APU in the Steam Deck, but with the added benefit of Tensor, and RT Cores, and simply a more modern feature set. 

As far as BC is concerned, what I can see happening is when running Switch 1 games in handheld mode, the BC mode will run games on the "docked" profile of the Switch 1's power, though this I'm assuming the Switch 2 will use a 1080p panel instead of 720p, which ultimately could go either way. 

Switch 2 more than likely is going to leverage DLSS heavily to reach 4K, though some games will natively use 4K. But I could see the same with handheld mode too. Say it is a 1080p screen, internally render it at 540p, and DLSS upscale it to 1080p, which is the same leap as 1080p internal to DLSS upscale to 4K is in Docked mode. 

Yeah that is a good point, I was just thinking in my head if it was the more the same as the ROG but obviously it’s not going to be nearly as thick as that so whatever nvidia chip (i stopped following chip rumors after the switch pro debacle) is going to need to be running at way lower tdp than 15w.

I didn’t realize that the switch drew so little power while docked still though. They really should just add an undocked plug in turbo mode then if it’s still only 15w and design it for whatever cooling is needed there.

Seems like a waste to have the docked not be able to draw more than 15w, but I suppose nvidia just doesn’t make any chips that scale in a way that makes sense in a 7.5/30w split configuration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah that is a good point, I was just thinking in my head if it was the more the same as the ROG but obviously it’s not going to be nearly as thick as that so whatever nvidia chip (i stopped following chip rumors after the switch pro debacle) is going to need to be running at way lower tdp than 15w.

I didn’t realize that the switch drew so little power while docked still though. They really should just add an undocked plug in turbo mode then if it’s still only 15w and design it for whatever cooling is needed there.

Seems like a waste to have the docked not be able to draw more than 15w, but I suppose nvidia just doesn’t make any chips that scale in a way that makes sense in a 7.5/30w split configuration.

If you overclock the Switch, it'll run 20w, maybe more, and that is I believe for both Logan, and Mariko chips. The advantage for Mariko running overclocked though is it can go beyond what Logan can do overclocked (Mariko can do I think 2.1GHz overclocked for the CPU), and as such, can run say Zelda TOTK at 60fps. 

The ROG Ally will be plenty powerful for its size, plus its power output, although some videos have pointed out that at <15 watts I think it is, the Steam Deck is more efficient, and produces better performance compared to the ROG Ally. The Ally's advantage is that it can go beyond the Deck's 15w TDP for the APU. That, and if you really want to, you can dock it with an eGPU for even better performance. 

34 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

If you overclock the Switch, it'll run 20w, maybe more, and that is I believe for both Logan, and Mariko chips. The advantage for Mariko running overclocked though is it can go beyond what Logan can do overclocked (Mariko can do I think 2.1GHz overclocked for the CPU), and as such, can run say Zelda TOTK at 60fps. 

The ROG Ally will be plenty powerful for its size, plus its power output, although some videos have pointed out that at <15 watts I think it is, the Steam Deck is more efficient, and produces better performance compared to the ROG Ally. The Ally's advantage is that it can go beyond the Deck's 15w TDP for the APU. That, and if you really want to, you can dock it with an eGPU for even better performance. 

I believe the deck is more efficient/has better performance than ROG only when looking at is as in the amount of performance at 15w relative to the potential of the chip or if you look at it 1080p on ROG vs 720p on deck. DF had a 15% advantage still for ROG at 15 watt in matching scenarios. The only game in decks favor was CP but it’s such a weird outlier that it might be driver issues or something. But yeah, the point of it is to push it beyond that to get close to the 2x performance.

Too bad an egpu type option for switch docked would probably be way too expensive . An add on could be cool though. I imagine the dock should have the current ports needed to do that this time too.

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

I do wonder if Nintendo will do a hard cutoff like they have always done or will they do a slow transition which is common with Sony and Microsoft as next switch will be, we think, quite similar in structure and design. 

If they don’t do a hard cut off they better not name it Switch Pro or something and end up releasing a system nobody knows exists again.