~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

The Democratic party is a diverse, wide coalition where the Republican party is a homogeneous, narrow coalition. Different Democrats win different districts. Let the voters decide. This election we're running all of the above, centrists in very right States (manchin), liberals in right leaning States (Beto, Abrahms), liberals in purple states (Gillum), etc. 

The Dems gave up on the undercard during Obama's years, and now we have to rebuild. Let's see who gets elected this year before saying we need to do X because of 2016.

the "philosophical purity" argument is total bullshit. Bernie Sanders is nowhere near "pure" and people on the left still support him.

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

There won't be 'good candidates' until Democrats win seats. The longer Republicans are in control, the more time they have to consolidate their control through gerrymandering and the erosion of voting rights, and the harder it becomes to beat them with a leftist-Democrat as opposed to a centrist-Democrat. You want the egg before the chicken. The party may need to shift leftward, but that's not happening until it has room to do so.

this is incremental nonsense.  Democrats do not need to run centrist dipshits before they can run candidates on the left.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The alternative is sitting in the corner with my arms crossed and holding my breath until Bernie wins the nomination? Shit right now all one can hope is to get to a point where they can minimize the effects of global policy on themselves and their families because this generation of Americans? Let's just say that the 60's would have looked a lot different if our generation was leading the charge back then.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The right will, with little exception, vote for whatever “R” is put in front of them, it’s practically a cult and has been this way for about a decade now. The left seems to always have so many varying viewpoints that no candidate is ever good enough for the entire party - it’s like “oh, I agree with 90% of what you support, but I can’t possibly support you because I disagree with 10%!”. No, I’m not saying Dems need to vote like a cult or put party over their own morals/ethics, I’m saying that they need to be f’n adults and look at the long game as well as what allowing the other side to win brings.

Support Dems now, level the playing field, get the country back on a better track based on the platform of the party, THEN worry about inner-party bs.

It sure seems like the part of the base that's frustrated always gets told "now's not a good time, an election's coming up" and then ignored until the next time there's an election coming up and they're frustrated that nothing happened between elections.

Just now, Jason said:

It sure seems like the part of the base that's frustrated always gets told "now's not a good time, an election's coming up" and then ignored until the next time there's an election coming up and they're frustrated that nothing happened between elections.

Probably because they dig their heels in, either vote third party or not at all, the dems lose, so it’s still not the time. 

As @b_m_b_m_b_m said, we need to see who wins and by how much, then possibly use that for indication of where to bring the party. 

With the way courts are being packed, districts are being more and more gerrymandered, and states as a whole are being more and more suppressive for voters. Losing now over “well, I like the MAJORITY of your platform, buuuuuut...” could potentially kill future chances of the party gaining control again, let alone allowing it to evolve to a better platform.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

No one has been told to be patient more than Black people yet we remain the Dems strongest base of support. Why? Because the alternative is worse and we seem to understand that better than other bases of Democratic support.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

If you want to change the party you register democrat and vote in the primaries, the general election isn't the place to do it, lol.

Because Bernie voters were treated so well during the 2016 primaries?

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No one has been told to be patient more than Black people yet we remain the Dems strongest base of support. Why? Because the alternative is worse and we seem to understand that better than other bases of Democratic support.

Heaven forbid the Democrats try to offer something other than "we're not as bad the Republicans".

And people wonder why Democrats have GOTV problems.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because Bernie voters were treated so well during the 2016 primaries?

They lost, and still forced Clinton to shift some of her policies towards Bernie's, so yes voting for Bernie changed the party, and thats even more evident by candidates openly backing medicare for all.  This is America's system for better or worse, and the sooner people realize that voting for a Lib, Green, and 99% of the time an independent is just a waste of time, we'll all be better off.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

the "now's not the time" shit is hilarious because it comes from the same people who complain about Republicans saying the same thing after a mass shooting.

I'm curious to see how the "now's not the time" people think things will go if Democrats/centrists regain power in 2020.  Spoiler alert:  that also won't be the time for the left to criticize centrists.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Heaven forbid the Democrats try to offer something other than "we're not as bad the Republicans".

And people wonder why Democrats have GOTV problems.

What are you talking about? There are Dems running on actual issues... the larger part of the problem is that issues don't matter in this country anymore like I said in my initial post to EITHER side because if they did, there would be NO WAY that an imbecile like Trump would have won. No way. And the Bernie Bros wouldn't have been so offended by Hillary because ultimately she and Bernie shared a lot of policy positions. Our elections boil down to cults of personalities now.

1 minute ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

not true

You're right.... it was probably more like 90% :|

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The fact that you guys are still fighting the same tired battle over two years later just shows how utterly pathetic the American Left well and truly is.

Do shitty libertarians represent the American Left? Because they seem to be the ones that love to bring up Bernie Sanders the most, even though they would have NEVER voted for him had he won the primary.

8 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

looks like the center-left has no place in the world 

Centrism has no place in this world at this moment.

As one of my favorite Cental American right-wing death squad leaders said in the 1980s: "The political center is like an anus - it is round, it stinks, and it is full of shit."

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I would have voted for him if there wasn't a Libertarian option.  No way would I have voted for Orange Mussolini.

If there wasnt a Libertarian option? What is the point of saying this if there was?

I voted for Gillum over Graham and Levine in the primary because he was better on the environment, he was a more progressive option and an exciting one at that. The primaries are when it makes the most sense to sort out what kind of candidate we want. And this year, there are actually exciting liberal candidates running in purple/red states.

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

If there wasnt a Libertarian option? What is the point of saying this if there was?

Because I prefered the Libertarian candidate over what was served up by the Democrats and Republicans?  If Paul or Kasich had one the GOP nomination, I would have voted for them over Clinton, and maybe even Johnson. 

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Would you have voted for Bernie Sanders over Gary Johnson in the GE?

I said I would have voted for Sanders if Johnson wasn't running.  

Order of personal preference: 

Paul* (if he was the GOP nominee)

Johnson

Sanders

Kasich*

Turd Sandwich

Clinton

Trump

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I voted for Gillum over Graham and Levine in the primary because he was better on the environment, he was a more progressive option and an exciting one at that. The primaries are when it makes the most sense to sort out what kind of candidate we want. And this year, there are actually exciting liberal candidates running in purple/red states.

This is the reasonable approach but most on the left don't feel that way. If their candidate doesn't win, then they get pissy and indignant and stay home... policy consequences be damned. The Supreme Court should have been motivation enough ALONE for the left to get off their asses and vote but it wasn't. It definitely was on the right though. Trump has gotten two court picks and potentially a third or fourth depending on what happens in the next two years.