Rian Johnson’s Poker Face (Peacock)

TheLeon

My wife and I finally watched the six episodes that are currently out - and we're loving it. It's so well made on every technical level and the stories are always enjoyable. I've always enjoyed "howtocatchems" more than "whodunit" since they are done less frequently and then watching the villains squirm while they may come off as less suspicious to those who don't already know they did it within the story. Great acting and interplay amongst the characters all around, I think I may enjoy these more than Knives Out and Glass Onion.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 11:30 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Watching episode 3 now... great show but it's basically a superhero show right? This chick has powers and wanders around solving crimes like David (Bruce) Banner.

Kinda. Her ability to tell that people are lying is inevitably what leads her to expose whoever did the crime of the week and it’s essentially a superpower, but the show doesn’t really focus on it beyond the pilot and her occasionally talking to people about it.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Kinda. Her ability to tell that people are lying is inevitably what leads her to expose whoever did the crime of the week and it’s essentially a superpower, but the show doesn’t really focus on it beyond the pilot and her occasionally talking to people about it.

Yeah I actually love how they do it. They kind of introduce it in a way where this is just how it is she can tell a lie 100% of the time and they make sure you know that the ability is real but then they just drop it after it’s been established. There is no hint as to how or why and nobody seems overly concerned with that. But it makes for such a great premise and it works because it exists simply as just a rule of the show.

15 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It's literally how she solves the murder in each episode.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I actually love how they do it. They kind of introduce it in a way where this is just how it is she can tell a lie 100% of the time and they make sure you know that the ability is real but then they just drop it after it’s been established. There is no hint as to how or why and nobody seems overly concerned with that. But it makes for such a great premise and it works because it exists simply as just a rule of the show.

Yeah, a superpower. She's basically Daredevil. This is a superhero show for people who don't want to admit they like superheros... I'd bet folding money that that was part of the pitch. I don't mind it... in fact I think this is a great show that is a throwback to the 80's crime of the week shows that Rian Johnson grew up on. I just thought it was funny that this show is, in addition to being a crime of the week mystery, it's basically Angela Landsbury meets The Xmen :lol:

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah, a superpower. She's basically Daredevil. This is a superhero show for people who don't want to admit they like superheros... I'd bet folding money that that was part of the pitch. I don't mind it... in fact I think this is a great show that is a throwback to the 80's crime of the week shows that Rian Johnson grew up on. I just thought it was funny that this show is, in addition to being a crime of the week mystery, it's basically Angela Landsbury meets The Xmen :lol:

I’m okay with calling it a superpower! But I just like how it’s done here.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’m okay with calling it a superpower! But I just like how it’s done here.

No I agree. They handle it very well here... they establish the rules of the show and they just run with it. Same way Rian Johnson handled time travel with Looper. He creates the world, establishes the rules and then just goes to town. Takes a LOT of confidence in yourself and your audience to do that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No I agree. They handle it very well here... they establish the rules of the show and they just run with it. Same way Rian Johnson handled time travel with Looper. He creates the world, establishes the rules and then just goes to town. Takes a LOT of confidence in yourself and your audience to do that.

I haven’t seen Looper, I’m guessing I need to fix that?

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah, her ability is for sure a superpower, I just meant that it feels about as much as a superhero show as something like Columbo to me. She's always going to detect the lie, he's always going to come back into the room and say, "oh just one more thing." Maybe I've watched too many Smallville / CW shows :p

• Halal 1

57 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

And ultimately, it's not too far off from the Sherlock Holmes type who walks into a room and instantly spots every relevant clue. 

Holmes' powers were attributed to his keen sense of observation, right? That was the "in universe" explanation for his deductive abilities and I believe that his stories obeyed the "rules of mystery" writers by not basing his abilities on anything supernatural. Pokerface doesn't even bother trying to explain Charlie's abilities. At first I thought she was reading people's body language and non verbal cues, but she's been able to tell someone is lying based on hearing a voice on the radio. It's not important how she does it which is Rian Johnson's point. She can do it and that's the world the show takes place in. In other series or mediums, it would definitely be defined as a superpower. 

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Holmes' powers were attributed to his keen sense of observation, right? That was the "in universe" explanation for his deductive abilities and I believe that his stories obeyed the "rules of mystery" writers by not basing his abilities on anything supernatural. Pokerface doesn't even bother trying to explain Charlie's abilities. At first I thought she was reading people's body language and non verbal cues, but she's been able to tell someone is lying based on hearing a voice on the radio. It's not important how she does it which is Rian Johnson's point. She can do it and that's the world the show takes place in. In other series or mediums, it would definitely be defined as a superpower. 

Holmes knows you're lying because he noticed a smudge on your shoe and has encyclopedic knowledge of the various types of dirt found across London. That combined with the particular way your left shirt sleeve is frayed and your slight limp means your alibi doesn't check out and he figured that out three seconds after meeting you. Charlie just... knows when she hears a lie. Yes, that is more literally a superpower, but practically they don't feel that different to me. Or like in Hannibal, where Will Graham walks into the middle of a crime scene, zones out, and knows exactly what happened.

But I get what you're saying. Lie to Me had a similar idea (I believe, don't think I watched more than an episode or two) with the key difference being that the Tim Roth character was brilliant and had done a bunch of research into microexpressions or whatever. Part of the charm of this show is that it doesn't bother with any of that. It's something she can do, don't worry about it, just enjoy the ride.

And thinking about the show in that superhero context, how long before she runs into someone with some kryptonite in their pocket? Eventually she's gotta meet someone who can beat her BS detector, even if only temporarily. 

• Halal 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, TheLeon said:

And thinking about the show in that superhero context, how long before she runs into someone with some kryptonite in their pocket? Eventually she's gotta meet someone who can beat her BS detector, even if only temporarily. 

I’m only half way through episode 2, so I might be completely wrong about this, but I bet the kryptonite is Ron Perlman’s character.

(I have no idea if he actually shows up, but I knew that was his voice on the phone at the end of the first episode)