DF: 'Too big' for Steam Deck games tested

crispy4000

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Someone give me a written summary thx

The gist of it is that you're not going to get a solid 30fps experience on next-gen titles generally, even if you dial settings way back.  Mileage can vary game by game.

Oliver suggests the need for newer hardware if that (or a 40fps target) is the goal.

• Thanks 1

It’s neat that it can come so close but that makes sense that it’s not a handheld current gen machine though we could easily get that in an upgrade anytime they want to. I’m happy for now and will upgrade to a newer pc handheld when it starts to become a problem for stuff I actually play on it. 

Maybe I’d be more likely to upgrade if nvidia really kills gamestream but as it is I get to play everything max at 60fps rendered from 4k so basically no aliasing on the 7” screen with no real compromise besides not being able to resume. So that works fine for me for more demanding games. 

Though some more demanding stuff I still play native at 30fps on deck for that resume because I do love it so I won’t be saying no to whatever is next. 

But 100x more important to me than power is an oled screen. I’d probably give them 1k for a deck with oled with the same damn specs I want it so bad.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I appreciate them doing the testing, but if there is one thing that I have no interest on doing on the Steam Deck, it's playing new graphically demanding games.

I'd be there for it if it hit Series S standards at its lower resolution.  It's close, but not quite there.  I already don't trust devs to optimize well for Series S...

Basically, I'd need it to be good enough to last a few years, until this-gen GPU pricing really cools off.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I bet we have something nice that hits series s standards or exceeds it (at 720p) by the time games that don’t run native res/30 fps at  low/medium settings are the norm rather than the exception.

Maybe one of these not-Valve handhelds is already there?  I don't know, haven't looked into it.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Maybe one of these not-Valve handhelds is already there?  I don't know, haven't looked into it.

A 6800 one might be, maybe @Zaku3 knows, but I bet 7800 ones will be later this year either way

But man do I want to just stick with the deck, I love everything about it from the feel to the os to the control options, everything works so well at this point I can’t imagine wanting to go back to windows for it. When I want windows now I just remote to my pc, which is so much easier to do with the trackpads and easily customizable controls.

17 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I appreciate them doing the testing, but if there is one thing that I have no interest on doing on the Steam Deck, it's playing new graphically demanding games.

Yeah this is basically where I am. If a game is meant to be a high-quality visual experience, I'm almost surely going to want to play it on my high-end PC with my 4K OLED TV.

I suppose there are exceptions where it's a game I'd like to replay having already had the full experience, and then it being able to run on Deck would be nice for travel. But those games are few.

Mostly my Steam Deck is for Vampire Survivors rogue lites which are not very demanding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 3:40 PM, crispy4000 said:

The gist of it is that you're not going to get a solid 30fps experience on next-gen titles generally, even if you dial settings way back.  Mileage can vary game by game.

Oliver suggests the need for newer hardware if that (or a 40fps target) is the goal.

Perhaps it wasn't the intent with the video, but even lowering the resolution a little bit while enabling FSR, or some other AA solution such as TAA can yield some impressive results given the limitations involved. I would absolutely trade some clarity for a 40fps cap as the performance uplift would be worth it IMO. But as you said, mileage can vary. 

54 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Breaking news: games that run poorly on high end $3k+ machines run worse on $400 handheld hardware

In other news water is wet, more at 11.

I want to see how dead space and forspoken run on deck now that both have been patched to run better on it (cool that is even happening!) since at 720p that is almost the res ps5 runs those games at :P

• Sad 1