Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC) - 2.8 million units sold worldwide

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, Moa said:

I wonder if the net code on this will be existent. I’ve always played these games are pvp first experiences. 

It's "existent" in the sense that PvP is part of the product:

PuRUpi2i56Kif8xcYTWPaZ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Despite focusing on singleplayer, FromSoftware still gave Armored Core PvP a bit of love.

W5734Y9sbGgVqVEejKtj9a-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Short missions, tons of customization and a lock-on system that straddles the old and the new.

It famously took the breakout success of Dark Souls, and a player petition, to get FromSoftware to start bringing its games to PC. Until 2011 nearly everything the Japanese developer made was exclusive to consoles, including 15 mech combat games in the Armored Core series. Alongside MechWarrior, Armored Core could've been huge on PC in the late '90s and early 2000s, serving as a more actiony, less simmy companion.

Well, that didn't happen. But 25 years later, there's finally an Armored Core on PC. I've played about five hours of it, and I'm here to tell you this game fucking RIPS.

Armored Core 6 is exactly what I hoped it would be. Incredibly fast-paced. Empowering. It puts you in a mech that can fly and dash in all directions, with a depth of customization that has me greedy to unlock every part and spec out a livery of different purpose-built machines. The controls demand fast reflexes but are mercifully pretty simple, even with all your weaponry and mobility.

amored-core-6-jump.jpg?width=1200&height
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Three hours with Armored Core 6's first chapter has shown us it's a thrill to be a mech pilot, but it's grind mentality…

Perhaps the game's biggest triumph is how it's taught me mechs don't have to be clunky tanks who strafe to and fro, reloading shells at a snail pace. With up to two shoulder-mounted weapons and two in your fists, combat winds up being a fast dance where you're unloading shrapnel as soon as those cooldowns refresh, giving it a slight MMO/ARPG energy. Despite my hatred for the Juggernaut, I'd say fights are genuinely exhilarating when you go up against other mercenaries who've got sizeable mechs and surprising limbs. It's during these tangos where the stagger bar comes into play, as you need to find openings to pepper them so it fills up, then swoop in for a hammer blow when they're vulnerable. I'm determined to crack the Juggernaut puzzle.

I've come away from Armored Core 6's earliest hours with mixed feelings. Combat is a genuine thrill, especially so when you come up against mechs that aren't toasters but mercenaries who'll actually fight back. The chase for new parts is certainly moreish, but I doubt revisiting old levels to grind for cash will be for everyone, especially when some are far more basic affairs than others. And I can't offer much on mech customisation aside from the fact it seemed fun, if a bit unclear? Maybe as you progress there's plenty more bits to buy and a greater sense of actual change in the moment. With all this said, I imagine longtime fans will be smitten with its slick re-emergence and I, for one, will be keeping a close eye on it. I mean, it's the only mech game I've ever enjoyed, so that must count for something.

armored-core-6-slice.jpg?width=1200&heig
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Armored Core 6 director Masaru Yamamura and producer Yasunori Ogura offer insights into the game's early development, h…

Recently I sat down with GGRecon for a roundtable-ish interview with Armored Core 6: Fires Of Rubicon director Masaru Yamamura and producer Yasunori Ogura to talk more about their upcoming mecha action game. And their answers gave us more of an insight into the game's early development, where the story might take you, and how you might overcome some of its trickiest nuts and bolts.

While it won't come as much of a surprise to Armored Core veterans, Armored Core 6 isn't an open world game. If you're a new FromSoftware-liker brought on board by the expansive world of Elden Ring, then yes, you might be a bit surprised. As I mention in my preview, Armored Core 6 sees you play a mecha-mercenary who selects jobs from a drop down menu and jets off to destroy whatever needs destroying. But Yamamura says FromSoft actually considered going down a more open world route in early stages of the game's development.

"For the map design initially, [an open world] was considered, but in order to do that we'd have to put some restrictions on the assembly aspect, particularly in how the player is able to move within that space," Yamamura says. "So, if you have a much broader open world map that's designed for exploration, you have to limit, to an extent, the freedom with which the player can customise the AC."

Yamamura explains they toned down the scope of the map, so as not to hinder how you can get really personal with mechs. "We've really had to put some limitations on the map side in order to allow that freedom of expression for your own personal AC loadout, and the way you wanted to move through these maps," he says. "So in that sense, we opted for a more traditional missions structure and more condensed map design in the end."

Is playing Armored Core 6 fun? Ask me now, having had an afternoon to roll around on its wasteland battlefields, and I'd give a tentative, creaking "ye-es?" before hastily rattling off a string of qualifiers and provisos. A surprising ambivalence for a gameplay idea as approachable as "big robots", but I can't say I didn't enjoy myself from time to time. Beating an angry washing machine to death with four weapons at once is a hard thing to get completely wrong, and I suppose I do want to go back to that world, if only to wrestle with my feelings on it a little more.

And don't expect emotional investment in the narrative to be what pushes you through that challenge, as the story of AC6 so far is an oddly cold burn. You play as Pilot 621, a mercenary mech operator on the distant world of Rubicon, where… Some sort of conflict is happening, and frankly that's about all I'm willing to commit to the record right now. To be honest it didn't seem particularly important, especially when the early missions seem to be all about your character shifting back and forth between all the different sides depending on who sent you a paycheck most recently. You blow up a mining ship when a corporation pays you to, then somebody hires you to wreck the corporation's shit, and on and on it goes. 

It's all very impersonal and not very compelling as raw plot, especially considering it's all delivered through audio, with no human faces ever seen for even a moment. The only time I found myself waking up to events was a gloomy, if effective mission where you're tasked to destroy an advanced enemy mech - but it's only after beginning the attack that you realize that it's being piloted by some frightened junior engineer who barely has his learner's license. Consequently you're forced to listen to his wails for help, even as you turn him to charred bone and scrap metal. In moments like that, Armored Core 6 sometimes made its sense of detachment feel intentionally, poignantly dehumanizing - but it was, sadly, just moments of impact in a wider, blander story. After the imagination-capturing worlds of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, I don't think I was wrong in hoping for more.

ac6-br-1690238736769.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a return to the series that From Software built much of the foundation of their legacy off of, and based on our early impressions, it's shaping up to be a triumphant return.

Armored Core 6 maintains the mission structure of previous games, with every chapter coming with its own collection of main missions that progress the story, and side missions that provide you with an opportunity to earn some extra cash to spend on upgrading your mech. Both mission varieties impressed me. The side missions offered up a wide variety of objectives that forced me to take different combat approaches each time, like a mission that required me to destroy a series of transport helicopters in a limited amount of time, while also desperately trying to avoid a high powered enemy AC that was trained to kill me on sight.

The main missions, on the other hand, were lengthy, multi-part engagements that were almost always punctuated by a memorable boss fight. As an example, let me tell you about this Strider mission that I’ve been dying to talk about.

4168074-ss_3302cd480fbba54627e226877d1d9
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

From Software spent a lot of time trying to "sweet spot" for mech customization in Armored Core 6.

One of the big features of older Armored Core games was the option to customize your mech, and for Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon, developer From Software is once again placing an emphasis on constant fine-tuning, swapping out parts, and building the right machine for the right situation. Compared to previous Armored Core games, Armored Core 6 will take a more relaxed approach to mech assembly between missions, as From Software sought to hit a perfect balance of tinkering with their favorite loadout and pushing forward with a mech that has served them well.

"This is actually an area we spent quite a bit of time trying to balance and figure out where the sweet spot is," game director Masaru Yamamura told GameSpot. "We do want to put a lot of importance on assembly, but we don't want it all to just be about number crunching and min-maxing. We wanted a big part of it to affect the play feel, for example, when you switch up the leg types, it affects your movement, when you switch up the weapons it affects how you shoot and how you recoil--things like this."

Yamamura added that the studio wanted to emphasize the mercenary aspect of Armored Core 6, as diving into the nuts and bolts of a mech loadout will allow players to feel like a professional gun-for-hire in the game. At the same time, the studio also drew upon its work in its previous games, as the game will give observant players a fighting chance if they can adapt their tactics on the fly.

4168083-ss_549f55589c10866bc31243d277324
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Don't expect Armored Core 5 levels of multiplayer, as From Software has focused primarily on the Armored Core 6 single-player mode.

Like the previous games in the series, Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a single-player experience at heart. That's not to say that it doesn't have any form of online functionality, as when it launches in August, the game will include a PvP option. However, don't expect a reprisal of Armored Core 5,which placed a heavy emphasis on multiplayer.

"In Armored Core 6, the main thing we wanted to concentrate on was the single-player campaign, so that's the main meat of the content," game director Masaru Yamamura explained to GameSpot. "We do have an online versus mode available at launch. This is more a place where players can bring the armored cores that they've customized and designed themselves into battle with one another. It's a simple, straight, no bells and whistles online versus mode for the real hardcore fans."

Yamamura added that Armored Core 6 focuses primarily on its campaign mode, with multiplayer being added to the game as an uncomplicated extra that complements the single-player experience. "We wanted the focus to be on single-player, and that single-player story and campaign style," Yamamura said. "But also have that element of multiplayer brought in just as something simple that players can access easily if they want to try it out. The people who’ve known the online from previous entries can jump straight in, it's just there, and it's not too complicated to get into as an additional element to the single player."

4168077-ss_f441df5b6d02d0cbc2635f29ec502
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

From Software's mech warfare game combines the dynamic and aggressive combat of Sekiro to create challenging battlefields.

Development on Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is being led by game director Masaru Yamamura, who previously served as the main combat designer on Sekiro: Shadows Twice, an infamously aggressive action-RPG in the From Software library. Will Armored Core 6 inherit any of the technical DNA of that game, which has a distinctive feel when compared to games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, or Elden Ring? According to Yamamura, while some elements of From Software's Souls-like formula are present in the new Armored Core, it's the "highly dynamic and aggressive combat" of Sekiro that lives on in a sequel where corporations and private military companies battle each other in all-out mechanized warfare.

"Some elements that you might see some indirect comparisons with, not just with Sekiro but with the previous titles, are these elements of going into battle and having to observe your enemies and observe their patterns and respond accordingly," Yamamura told GameSpot. "Use your ingenuity to overcome these challenging situations. And particularly, one element that carries indirectly from Sekiro is this more highly dynamic and aggressive combat setting. So that's something we wanted to incorporate into Armored Core this time as well."

19-armored-core-6-preview.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Armored Core has a reputation for being one of the most hardcore action games around, but the newest entry does a lot to make it more approachable.

I’ve never played any Armored Core games. In fact, I realized during the event that I had been long confusing it with Steel Battalion, a different mech game from the OG Xbox that required a monstrous 44-button tabletop controller to play. Armored Core was never that kind of hyper-realistic simulation game, but it has always had a reputation for being incredibly difficult, not unlike FromSoft’s other games like Dark Souls and Elden Ring - more games I never play. There probably wasn’t a single person at the event less qualified to climb into the cockpit of a mech than me - and I mean that literally.

Luckily, Armored Core 6 isn’t nearly as intimidating as I expected it to be. While there’s a lot of lore to catch up on and terminology for new players to learn (pro tip: missions are called ‘sorties’, so you don’t get lost in the menus like me) but when it comes to actually piloting a mech, it’s a lot more intuitive that you might think. It controls like any other modern third-person shooter. You strafe, you aim, you press the triggers to shoot. All four shoulder buttons fire different weapons and can be reloaded individually, but there isn’t much management to deal with at all. You’ve got ammo, health, and stamina - no different from games like Remnant, Returnal, or Monster Hunter.

You don’t even really have to aim. There’s two different targeting modes you can switch between, one that locks onto targets you move your camera towards, and one that more or less picks targets for you as long as they’re somewhere sort of near the middle of your screen. This streamlining of systems management and targeting allows you to focus on the game’s core mechanical discipline: movement.

20-how-dark-souls-inspired-armored-core-
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Armored Core 6 director Masaru Yamamura and producer Yasunori Ogura

At a preview event earlier this month, I asked director Masaru Yamamura and producer Yasunori Ogura about whether or not the studio's work on Soulslikes had an impact on the design of Armored Core 6. Yamamura says that they’ve tried to incorporate the lessons they’ve learned and the experience gained from the past in the new Armored Core, and that there’s definitely some elements of Dark Souls to be found in the latest entry.

“Our approach to battle design has changed significantly,” Yamamura says, speaking via a translator. “We place a lot of importance on being able to observe the enemy and read the action on the screen.” Learning enemy attack patterns and watching how they behave in order to form a strategy to beat them is a core part of Dark Souls’ combat, and now it’s a part of Armored Core’s combat too. “That’s something you couldn’t really do in previous AC games and we feel like with our cumulative experience that’s something we’ve been able to hone in on with AC6,” he says.

armoredcore6featured.jpg
WWW.GAMEDEVELOPER.COM

Armored Core 6 game director Masaru Yanamura and producer Yasunori Ogura discuss FromSoftware's return the cult-classic series.

While Armored Core 6 brings back the series's stand-alone mission structure which whisks you away to different areas of the planet, the game still possesses an immense scope and variety of settings that give each mission a bespoke feel. Some moments echoed that of the sprawling landscapes of Elden Ring, but within the context of a mech game, it becomes a large playground to let loose with your gear.

A stand-out mission for me was set in a desert during a sandstorm, where I had to chase after a roaming giant walking mech with a powerful laser cannon on its back. As I darted through the desert after the giant mech, taking down smaller targets along the way, piercing blue beams of energy would rip through the haze, even a slight graze causing massive damage. Once I caught up to the target, I had to scale up across its leg and onto its larger body, using my mech's boosters and jets to reach the top and face down its weak spot.

It was a remarkable mission that brought the best of the Armored Core series' spectacle moments with the tension of high-difficulty encounters from Sekiro or Elden Ring. When paying attention to the details, these missions are filled with lore and other intriguing points of interest – some of which go into very dark territory that calls out the bleak and ruthless setting of Rubicon 3. According to the developers, Armored Core 6 will feature key moments where players can change the course of the story by choosing a side, which will lead to different events and endings.

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200
WWW.FORBES.COM

A few weeks back I got a chance to sit down and play 'Armored Core VI' for a few hours. It was an interesting experience and one that has made me hopeful about the game.

In terms of where Armored Core VI sits in the series, the base feels like Armored Core 3 with elements from Armored Core 4, Armored Core For Answer, Armored Core V and Armored Core Verdict Day. Of the 11 missions playable in the session I had, the full game will have something like 50 missions in total, which is around the same as the first Armored Core game released back in 1997, although that game obviously lacked an Arena.

Overall, Armored Core VI is very much in line with the series as a whole. Veterans will have a lot of fun with this game. Newer players may have their work cut out for them though, but after the hardly straightforward Elden Ring, I am sure Souls fans will be up for a new and involved challenge.

acvibigpic.png
WWW.RPGSITE.NET

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon feels ready to take the gaming world by storm

Simply put, one of the core draws of Armored Core is designing your mech to match your playstyle and aesthetic. During just the one preview session we attended, we managed to see other press decorate their mechs to match Optimus Prime, EVA Unit 02, and more; what’s new to Armored Core VI, however, is how you can not only save these loadouts for later, but even share a code online for others to integrate other player’s loadouts in their own game. There’s an example of how this works with Arenas; defeating enemy ACs will grant you a card loaded with a profile for their mech, letting you know what parts you’ll need to own in order to emulate it. If you do own all the parts necessary, you can seamlessly load their profile and decorations in a single click; the same can be accomplished with player profile cards, too.

At the end of the day - honestly, I didn’t expect to have a chance to play the game for myself so soon, but even if I was already excited for the game’s release next month, that excitement has only grown to a fever pitch after this preview. From Software has long-since cemented itself as one of the industry’s best and most consistent developers, and it seems they’re well on their way to continuing that streak.

1c1663d01be63dea2076d452b6689e3bb5108ee5
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Hours of customization, missions, stages, and mech action make Armored Core VI the perfect entrance for the series.

The vast wealth of customization options available also extends to weapons. There are so many combinations to try out, each with the potential to completely change the way you play the game. Given the unique feel of each weapon, you’re encouraged to experiment not only to see what works best for you but also to better overcome the various threats in missions. For instance, when you need more tailored firepower to get around enemy shields, you might want to equip plasma missiles that fire upward and into an arc to hit foes from behind. Or you could even equip an energy blade that can knock the shield out of their hands with a single strike. There are many viable weapon loadouts for a variety of situations, so how you equip your AC in a mission is entirely up to you.

ARMORED-CORE-VI_19_4k.png?width=1200&hei
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Eurogamer's hands-on impressions from three hours with Bandai Namco and FromSoftware's Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon.

The original Armored Core was the game that taught me to fight in the air. Even as I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast this morning, I still have vivid memories of boosting around its squalid industrial plains and catacombs, dipping carefully into my AC's replenishing energy reserve, while combing the cathode-ray TV murk for the hiss and flash of incoming projectiles. I loved jetpack duels and accessorised my mechs to suit, favouring springy reverse-jointed legs, compact laser pistols and featherweight torso components with just the faintest dusting of armour.

6 years later, Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon sends me hurtling out of a cargo catapult and skipping over the surface of a desolate, mountainous planet, its sky filled with vast, suspended mining facilities, its valleys with trashed cities and pleasantly brittle forests. I never could have imagined this kind of spectacle, playing the PS1 game, but the game beneath is broadly the same balance of intricate customisation and hectic robo combat. It's shaping up to be a stonking heavy metal escapade, though I do have reservations about a few of the components.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - hands-on previews articles and videos posted

i'm super fucking excited for this. As someone who played the very first game, and most of the subsequent games, i'm absolutely giddy to get the first Armored Core game since the PS3 days!

Maybe i can beat this one! There was one level near the end of the first that i couldnt beat because i had to climb this vertical tunnel and i would always fall down!

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, Brian said:
H732K3JZwZTC43fXnJGXJG-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The maker of last year's biggest game remains modestly sized by triple-A standards.

Yet Ubi needs 2k for Ass Creed

However, that article makes no mention of the number of contractors involved in the development of those games.

• Halal 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - PC system requirements released
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - multiplayer arena presentation video (Japanese language)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - gameplay showcase
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - "Launch" trailer

Game Information

Game Title: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 24, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 25, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 25, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Aug 25, 2023)

Developer: FromSoftware Inc.
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc.

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 85 average - 92% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

8Bit/Digi - Stan Rezaee - 10 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is the kind of experience that fans of the mecha genre have wanted for some time.

Eurogamer - Caelyn Ellis - 5 / 5

FromSoftware delivers a superlative action game that builds on its Soulslike pedigree while staying lean and laser-focused.

GameGrin - Jacob Sanderson - 10 / 10

FromSoftware once again released an utter masterpiece, with insane combat and an engaging plot, along with customisation allowing you to create the mech of your dreams.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 5 / 5

Armored Core 6 is an unsympathetic and cold-blooded game. It's a cup of bitter, black coffee – and thankfully, that suits my palate perfectly. It's full of moments that make you feel very powerful – in both effortless and hard-fought ways – and moments that make you very, very small. In the face of it all, you're pushed to overcome the impossible. And you'll come out on the other end wearing an exhausted, wry smile.

Siliconera - Kazuma Hashimoto - 10 / 10

Armored Core VI heralds a bright future for the return of Armored Core.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon pairs its fast-paced, exciting, and downright fun gameplay with incredibly rewarding progression and a staggering amount of player customization. Its quick but thrilling missions are paired with challenging FromSoft-style boss fights that will test your knowledge of the game’s easy-to-learn, hard-to-master mechanics in fun and exciting ways. More than that, it beautifully delivers on the fantasy of being a mech pilot with its gritty world and excellent mech control and fighting, creating an immersive game that feels as good as it plays.

VideoGamer - Finlay Cattanach - 10 / 10

Armored Core 6 Fires of Rubicon is a masterful return to form for the series that incorporates the modern design philosophies of From Software. It’s a dystopian world with a brutally gorgeous aesthetic and refined gameplay elevated by exceptional boss battles. Any fan of the series new or old will find something to love.

Windows Central - Brendan Lowry - 5 / 5

FromSoftware has finally returned to its classic mecha action franchise after a decade with the arrival of Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon, and what a glorious return it is. Whether you're an Armored Core veteran or a fan of the developer's Souls games looking to see what else the studio is capable of, you'll absolutely fall in love with Armored Core 6's immensely satisfying gameplay, fascinating story, and immaculate presentation.

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 97 / 100

FromSoftware did it again. Despite no following the soulslike formula and returning to an old franchise, la studio behind Elden Ring manages to deliver a epic, modern and very well design mecha game the definitely, is a GOTY contender.

Generación Xbox - David Fernandez - Spanish - 97 / 100

Rating a game like Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon can be very complicated and very simple at the same time. I mean, it's a game that not everyone is going to love, it's not what we're used to with From Software and that also counterbalances. For me, and having played him, I must say that he is a clear contender for game of the year, he has everything he needs to have to be able to compete. But of course, it is a niche game, it has great virtues, but it does not become anything completely innovative to think that it has to be the best.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 95 / 100

Armored Core VI is not just fan service. It’s an incredible synthesis of a respected franchise and lessons learned over ten years of game design. For longtime players of Armored Core, the new game moves the series forward in a remarkably successful way. While it’s an entirely different experience, gamers coming from Dark Souls will still recognize FromSoftware’s core philosophy of challenge, persistence and reward. Armored Core VI is fast-paced, brutally difficult in places and extremely satisfying to play.

Capsule Computers - Admir Brkic - 9.5 / 10

The king is back, baby! The latest entry in the series is here to remind us why Armored Core is one of the better mech games out there, if not the best.

Cultured Vultures - Alex Hadzaman - 9.5 / 10

A refined experience from a much more mature FromSoftware and a crew behind their best hits gives a once obscure franchise a more palatable experience for all makes Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon an unforgettable mecha action game for the ages.

GameBlast - Luan Gabriel de Paula - Portuguese - 9.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a love letter to the entire history of the franchise and elevates the work FromSoftware has done over the past 25 years, delighting veterans and newcomers alike. It's a safe project, in a way, because it keeps much of the gameplay loop of its predecessors intact; however, it manages to improve every aspect of these components, bringing a unique experience like few action games can do today. A great comeback from an IP that should never have been forgotten.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 9.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon emerges ablaze with FromSoftware’s best impulses. Demanding and rewarding combat is bolstered by series signature customisation and player-driven storytelling to form a masterclass in design philosophy and raw fun.

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 9.3 / 10

A grizzled veteran will find much to love in Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon, and with FromSoftware continuing to refine its approach of hardcore sensibilities with a degree of accessibility, so will newcomers to this fabled franchise. The action comes fast and heavy; there is immense depth and enjoyment to be had in assembling ACs, and with a story that takes plenty of twists and turns leading to any of the three endings, it has been an immense pleasure to see things to the end, and return for more before the dust even settles.

But Why Tho? - Kyle Foley - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a unique experience all about learning to accept failure in order to find solutions to new challenges. Accepting the fact that some runs need to end in defeat in order to learn more about how to tackle the encounter can take a while, but once you settle into the groove it feels so rewarding.

Cerealkillerz - Gabriel Bogdan - German - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is an absolutely successful return of a series that nearly got forgotten over the years. Even when you can lose track as newcomer over all the different fractions and mercenaries, or get lost with the camera in combination with a lot of explosive effects, making it hard to keep track of what is going on, the studio delivers one of its best experiences so far. If you are looking for a new kind of challenge or want to explore the world of Armored Core for the first time, you will definitely have killer fun with this new FromSoftware title.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 9 / 10

I was a bit skeptical that From Software would find a way to make Armored Core relevant again after a lengthy hiatus, but they figured it out. The spark of the series is still very much alive without giving up its soul and making it something else entirely, and a new generation will be able to appreciate why these games were so venerated. Just be ready to tinker a bit, and take some Ls.

Digital Chumps - Ben Sheene - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon strays from the recent FromSoftware formula to deliver an amplified exploration of its long-dormant mech series. Intense action and deep customization more than make up for its daunting opening hours and nebulous story.

Easy Allies - Brad Ellis - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon serves as a glorious return, filled with exhilarating mecha action.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5

If the mech genre were an arms race, then FromSoftware has just pulled leagues ahead.

GGRecon - Harry Boulton - 4.5 / 5

Armored Core 6 is an exceptional game that merges the classic mech combat of the series' roots with the new-age battles that FromSoftware has become well known for. Challenging boss battles are emboldened by a world left to waste, where your independence is challenged as a mercenary just looking to survive.

Furthermore, the game endlessly encourages you to experiment with its many parts, leaving things feeling consistently fresh and malleable no matter what you want your approach to be. While it doesn't reach the astronomical heights of FromSoft's best efforts, it is still an outstanding game that is a worthy revival for the series.

GameLuster - Sarim Irfan - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI revives an old series and takes it to brand new heights, creating an addictive gameplay loop that will keep me playing to NG++ and beyond.

Gamefa - mohammad hossein karimi - Persian - 9 / 10

If you're one of those people that prioritize Breathtaking Action and combat and love to trial and error with ample builds, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a must to play. especially because of simplified UI that will be a pleasent surprise for the newcomers of the series. that being said, AC VI doesn't fully utilize its potential when it comes to narrative and storytelling. Also, in its second half, there is a very few overpowered builds. But at the end of the day, Flashy encounters, smooth and seamless controls and epic art design, make AC VI an unique experience.

Gamepressure - Krzysiek Kalwasiński - 9 / 10

FromSoftware has once again delivered and fulfilled my silent dreams. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a brilliant game – and that's that. It's very addictive, extremely attractive, and – simply – worth recommending. Get into the cockpit and fight for freedom

GamesBeat - Mike Minotti - 4.5 / 5

No, it’s no Dark Souls with mechs, but Armored Core VI carves out its own identity.

GamesRadar+ - Austin Wood - 4.5 / 5

I've seen two endings now and they both make me miserable in different ways, which feels like a good summary of this and maybe all war

GamingBolt - Shunal Doke - 9 / 10

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a wonderful return to form for a franchise that has been dormant for a very long time. Its unique mission structure that encourages experimentation, coupled with an insane level of customization is one of the game's major highlights, and while its story takes time to get started, no two missions ever really feel the same thanks to varied objectives and excellent encounter design.

GamingTrend - Ron Burke - 90 / 100

White-knuckle brilliant Soulslike action, coupled with a movement style not seen in this genre for an entire generation, resurrects a blast from the past in a whole new way. If you are a fan of the genre, this game is pure punishing fun with all that implies. If not, it's unlikely to convert you. In either case, Armored Core VI: Fires of the Rubicon is a brilliant title that breaks the mold on the genre in a whole new way.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is visually stunning, and the omni-directional combat and build assembly is tons of fun.

Hey Poor Player - Jon Davis - 4.5 / 5

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a game you can check off your list in a manageable timeframe, a nod to the simpler times of gaming. It’s a reminder that sometimes, you don’t need vast open worlds or endless quests to have a blast.

Hobby Consolas - Bruno Sol - Spanish - 90 / 100

A dream for any mecha fan, with a remarkable technical invoice and spectacular combats. But its very high level of difficulty, when it comes to overcoming certain bosses, will be a handicap for those players who are not used to the dynamics of the Souls.

IGN Spain - Guillermo Proupín - Spanish - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI is a game that delivers what it promises: it is fun, difficult and satisfying throughout. With some conceptual errors in its design it proposes a futuristic dystopian world that is far from the dark fantasy works that have made FromSoftware get to where it is, but with a clear objective: Fires of Rubicon will be the Dark Souls of its saga, not because of its resemblance to this one but because it has the same ambition. With a unique gameplay in its genre and an extraordinary setting, it has everything it needs to become a mass phenomenon.

Jump Dash Roll - Luciano Howard - 9 / 10

FromSoftware games are an event and this one is no exception. Great fun, chaotic until tamed and thoroughly moreish. You'll find a lot to like if you're into high-quality action.

Kakuchopurei - Alleef Ashaari - 90 / 100

Armored Core 6: Fires Of Rubicon manages to stand out in a sea of good games in 2023 and it is a strong contender for Game Of The Year. Even if you've never played an Armored Core game, or if you don't like Soulslike games (which shouldn't be an issue in the first place), this game is recommended for fans who crave great mecha action games.

There's nothing else like it in the market right now, and Armored Core 6: Fires Of Rubicon is finally the game that elevates this franchise beyond its niche to the mainstream. There's no doubt about it.

LevelUp - Víctor Rosas - Spanish - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon proves that FromSoftware remains one of the top game studios of our time, undefeated and unstoppable. It's the mech game we've all dreamed of since our childhood, and the best part is, it packs that old-school, hardcore gaming challenge - a trademark of these brilliant Japanese minds. No doubt, it's one of the best games of the year and a great comeback!

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 9 / 10

Probably the best giant robot game ever made and an excellent companion piece to the likes of Dark Souls and Elden Ring, that matches both games in terms of spectacle and customisation.

NaviGames - Roberto Pérez - Spanish - 9 / 10

Fires of Rubicon is not only the perfect entry point for a whole new generation of Armored Core players, but it's also the best the series has to offer in every aspect.

PC Invasion - Noah Nelson - 9 / 10

Armored Core 6 is rocket power - high-octane action, adrenaline-pumping propulsion, riveting ramifications all retrofitted to a world and a story that set the stage for greed and humanity to fight to the brink of total annihilation... and see what lies beyond. It's a fast-paced thrill ride that has a few bumps when it comes to consistent boss difficulty, viable builds, and clear storytelling, but when you're blazing at breakneck speed, you hover right over the divots.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon manages to succesfully bring back and cultivate an experience reminiscent of the old games for newer audiences without losing sight of what made the previous games so good. While it's still relentlessly challenging and the story can be a bit drab, Fires of Rubicon is yet another success for FromSoftware with it's satisfying and fast paced combat.

Prima Games - Shaun Cichacki - 9 / 10

Its internal parts are crafted with PlayStation 2-era design, brought together in an oven that can push out some of the most delicious Mech combat that I've experienced in a very long time. Its story is engaging enough to keep you pushing forward, and its variety of missions and boss battles can evoke a range of emotions from any player.

Reno Gazette-Journal - Jason Hidalgo - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI is the perfect example of tough love. I’ve lost track of how many times I thought a boss or stage was impossible before ultimately figuring things out, whether it be via a new build or simply learning boss patterns. I understand that Armored Core VI can feel too hard and unfair at times. But if you stick with it, you just might be surprised with what you’re capable of.

SECTOR.sk - Oto Schultz - Slovak - 9 / 10

Rise Hound, for the calm embers of Rubicon are slowly starting to burn once again. Huge corps are fighting for all the Coral resources left, AC's change around alliancies and good pilots are nowhere to be found' Scavenge these scorched lands, scramble any passable gear and build yourself an Armored Core! Use these weapons and repair packs to tear apart the beastly industrial machines that stand in our way and give us hope for a better future'

Raven, you are our only hope!

SVG - Sam Watanuki - 9 / 10

FromSoftware reaches new heights as 'Armored Core' returns with a challenging (and rewarding) sci-fi action experience.

Screen Rant - Christopher Teuton - 4.5 / 5

Armored Core 6 is one of the best mech games I've experienced in years, and it's one I expect to play through at least two more times. The story of Rubicon, and how your decisions as a mercenary shape it, is my favorite story in gaming this year, up to and including all the big releases that have come out so far. It's an exceptionally well-made title with few bugs, incredible graphics, great gameplay, and a thought-provoking narrative. I just wish it was a little longer.

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 9 / 10

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon truly feels like a surprise treat this year. I’ve played a lot of good mech games, but few have ever given me the sheer depth of customization in both cosmetics and functionality that we have here. It’s like a dream come true. Certainly, it’s not the easiest game to beat and there are bosses that turn that dream into a temporary nightmare. However, when the answer is always just build a cooler, stronger mech, there’s little I can complain about beyond replaying missions to get there. It took a long time for Armored Core to come back and show a new generation why we loved these games back in the 90s and 2000s, but I couldn’t be happier it’s here. Maybe I’ll see you in the field and we’ll see who’s the real ace. I look forward to it.

Use a Potion - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a thrilling experience that blends together destructive mech combat and with deep customisation options in a rewarding manner. Combat feels great and offers plenty of strategic options thanks to the depth offered when putting together your mech build, whilst the missions are perfectly designed to cater for some epic set pieces and battles with your enemies. And sure, there can be a bit of a learning curve (especially when dealing with the tougher boss encounters), but nothing in the game ever feels overwhelming.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is simply a triumphant return for the series – here’s hoping we won’t have to wait another ten years for the next entry…

We Got This Covered - David Morgan - 4.5 / 5

Armored Core VI is like getting to put together your own giant Lego robot and sending it out to die before realizing you just needed to attach a few more missile launchers. Freedom in gameplay comes in many shapes and sizes, and the customization of your very own mechs suited to each mission is a niche yet thrilling experience. A thoughtful, intricately-woven story and amazing presentation sure don't hurt, either.

WhatIfGaming - Ali Hashmi - 9 / 10

Armored Core 6 is a fantastic action title that is demanding and rewarding in equal parts. It encourages players to get creative with their builds by offering endless customization, and an accessible economy system where nothing is really lost. With stunning art direction, and memorable voice acting, FromSoftware has revived its action franchise with an uncompromising entry that feels modern and offers a feature-rich experience with tons of replayability.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a darn fine entry into the franchise. The buttery-smooth gameplay and incredibly cool combat make it an absolute delight to play. It's easily one of the best mecha action games, and only Gundam Breaker 3 has a more involved and enjoyable mech customization system. If you're looking for a really fun and well-crafted robot bashing experience, look no further than Armored Core VI, which is a delight to play.

ZTGD - Jae Lee - 9 / 10

Circling back to the question that I pondered for all those years- with all the great new talent and abundant resources in tow, FromSoftware has brought Armored Core back in glorious fashion with their finest overall entry in the series history yet. Whether you’ve never heard of Armored Core before or are a die hard fan that’s been waiting a decade for a new release, this mission to Rubicon 3 is one not to be missed.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8.8 / 10

The reboot of Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a triumph. FromSoftware's vast experience shines through in the game, smoothly blending their past successes from Souls-like titles into Armored Core VI. It also stays true to the essence of mech games, maintaining the strong traditions of the series such as the highly customisable mech assembly. It retains the core fun that defines the franchise.

INVEN - Kwangseok Park - Korean - 8.8 / 10

A groundbreaking catalyst for popularizing mecha action. While various considerations have been added to allow even beginners who haven't experienced the series to easily get started, it's important not to forget that it's still rooted in the 'Armored Core' essence.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 88%

A cracking dose of fast-paced action, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a triumphant return for FromSoftware's mecha series after a decade, which proves both sternly challenging and deliciously rewarding in equal measure.

Fextralife - Fexelea - 8.7 / 10

Armored Core VI is an intense, challenging and rewarding experience that surpasses any other mech style game I have played. Intricate mech customization and exquisite combat encounters makes it a definite must-have if you are a fan of the Armored Core series or FromSoftware.

PC Gamer - Wes Fenlon - 87 / 100

The coolest mechs in gaming history form the core ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) of an intense, focused action game.

GamePro - Dennis Michel - German - 86 / 100

A mech fan's dream and a hot candidate for the most spectacular and best action game of 2023.

Impulsegamer - Abdul Saad - 4.3 / 5

Overall, Armored Core VI is a highly enjoyable game, especially for mecha heads and sci-fi fanatics. While I wish the story got a lot more attention, the game does a great job of reintroducing old fans while not alienating new players.

Checkpoint Gaming - Omi Koulas - 8.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a next-generation action game of mechs, industry, and technology within a rich story. It will be renowned for its advanced approach to strategic combat, integrated assembly system, and immersive soundscape, offering an unparalleled experience for fans of the genre. Amidst its narrative intricacies, pacing, and camera control challenges, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon stands as a symphony of metal and fire, inviting players to pilot their destiny in a futuristic universe unlike any other.

DASHGAMER.com - Dan Rizzo - 8.5 / 10

If you’ve yet to play an Armored Core title, and are interested in getting into the mech-action then this is the quintessential entry title into the modernised series without question. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon brings it back with an insanely polished gameplay loop, eerily gorgeous overlay, and an immaculate engine that runs this game without hurdles.

Lords Of Gaming - Mahmood Ghaffar - 8.5 / 10

Despite having an entirely different gameplay setup and sci-fi setting, Armored Core 6 is a Fromsoftware title through and through. The intricate mecha combat mechanics and challenging boss fights make for an incredible experience. Though there are some missed opportunities in terms of the graphics and story beats, it’s easy to proclaim that Armored Core VI is the best game in the long-running franchise.

MondoXbox - Andrea Giuliani - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon marks the grand return of a saga that had been missing for way too long. A faithful episode to its predecessors but, at the same time, more modern and accessible, even if some difficulty balancing problems can make it frustrating for newbies. It remains, however, recommended both to historical fans and to those who want to approach the series for the first time.

Niche Gamer - Brandon Orselli - 8.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a proper return to form for one of the most beloved mecha game series. Everything in the game has been carefully looked at, designed, and fine tuned to appease both longtime fans like myself and newcomer pilots as well. I couldn’t put the game down, every bit of the game is fun – Armored Core VI is a love letter to mecha action.

PlayStation Universe - Adam Byrne - 8.5 / 10

Fires of Rubicon offers a new frontier for the Armored Core series, demonstrating developer FromSoftware's ability to weave its recent success and confidence back into familiar territory, while at the same time demonstrating that you can indeed teach an old hound new tricks.

Seasoned Gaming - Zach Bateman - 8.5 / 10

Flying through the skies of Rubicon and immersing myself in the fantasy of piloting a giant, all-powerful mech that I created was a thrilling adventure.

Sirus Gaming - Conrad Huang - 8.5 / 10

Despite its drawbacks, Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon is truly a great game to play. Though the game has similar features to that of Dark Souls, players should learn that this game tests one’s skills and endurance. I recommend that players watch the gameplay trailers presented by BANDAI NAMCO first in order to get a familiar reading on how challenging and unique this game is before purchasing it.

Stevivor - Hamish Lindsay - 8.5 / 10

The AC series is one that rewards your ability to adapt and persevere in equal measure. To overcome it’s challenges you have to learn its systems and soldier on in the face of inevitable defeat. Series veterans will dine well, and if you’re signing up as a newcomer then do yourself a favour – don’t expect Armored Core 6 to be something it’s not. Try enjoying it for what it is instead.

TechRaptor - Samuel Guglielmo - 8.5 / 10

Some occasional gameplay and story mishaps, and complicated controls, don't hold back Armored Core VI from being both an absolute blast to play and an extremely welcome return from this long-dormant franchise.

The Games Machine - Daniele Dolce - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is an almost perfect comeback for the mecha series by FromSoftware. Despite some frankly incomprehensible slip-ups, like the presence of invisible walls and uninspired stealth missions, this is one of the most hectic and satisfying mecha action games, as it offers heart-pounding boss battles and an incredibly deep customization system.

WayTooManyGames - Kyle Nicol - 8.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is my introduction to the series, and I’m thoroughly impressed. FromSoft has delivered an ultra-fast-paced and challenging mech combat game. The deep customisation, great replay value, and level design will keep me coming back for more. If you love FromSoft games and like action-packed mech gameplay, then Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a must-play.

Wccftech - Kai Tatsumoto - 8.5 / 10

Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon is without a doubt one of From Software's most unique and polished experiences in the last decade. However, there's a certain expectation of AC Pilot skill getting into the cockpit that even making it through until the final chapter requires an established familiarity far above and beyond any Soulslike pedigree.

Zoomg - Sadegh Tavazoyi - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon truly revives the Armored Core series with an experience that is fun, challenging and memorable. If you're looking for a mecha game that can totally impress for around 15-20 hours, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is the right game for you.

Everyeye.it - Antonello Bello - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is an excellent starting point for the series, which after so many chapters not really successful had been missing for an entire decade from the scene.

Game Informer - Connor Trinske - 8.3 / 10

Armored Core VI is a solid return for one of From Software’s long-dormant franchises. It still carries many of the mech genre’s old contrivances, like its generic mission structure and predictable plot. However, it modernizes mech action meaningfully to introduce it to a new generation. While legacy fans may have some complaints about the “casualization” of Armored Core, I am ultimately glad the series is back and firing on all cylinders.

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Fires of Rubicon is Armored Core as it should always have been: the new game delivers a great combat system and mobility, but unfortunately, it's hampered by a few shortcomings no longer excusable to a world-class studio such as From Software.

3DNews - Алексей Лихачев - Russian - 8 / 10

A spectacular game with large combat machines – if eye-catching action scenes are more important to you than the story, Armored Core VI will give you a few unforgettable gameplay sessions.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 80 / 100

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a captivating mech combat simulation that will engage you with its immensely enjoyable gameplay while also frustrating you with its challenging difficulty and frequent deaths.

Areajugones - Cristian M. Villa - Spanish - 8 / 10

Armored Core VI is a revolution in the mecha genre, a video game that manages to drink from everything FromSoftware has learned over this last decade of success strongly linked to Souls-like. This installment has truly challenging peaks at the level of difficulty, and that precisely enhances its great strength: the player's imagination to build a mecha that adapts to the circumstances.

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 4 / 5

Years and several Soulslike games later, FromSoftware revisits another of its iconic franchises and mostly soars with awesome visuals and combat. While difficulty is always going to be a factor in these games, the sudden challenge spikes will alienate those who lack the patience for finding the right build.

CGMagazine - Khari Taylor - 8 / 10

Armored Core VI delivers superlative visuals and uncompromising challenge that will delight hardcore fans but risks alienating newcomers with its steep learning curve.

Cinelinx - Jordan Maison - 4 / 5

Armored Core VI keeps kicking my ass and for some reason it continues to bring me back time after time; largely because the mecha-battling action is so good.

Cubed3 - Justin Prinsloo - 8 / 10

Armored Core 6 manages to refresh a dated gameplay loop and make it feel like something entirely new. It excels in both its high-octane gameplay and dizzying variety of customisation options. Whether opting for speed or brute force - or something that notches its own point on the spectrum - AC6 offers personalised action gameplay the likes of which has seldom been seen before. Don't go in expecting a Souls-like, and it will surely be a satisfying time.

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 4 / 5

The game doesn't outstay its welcome, coming in at roughly 15-20 hours, but also offers some extra content for those looking to tackle New Game Plus multiple times. Overall, I'd recommend Armored Core 6 to those looking for an exhilarating fast-paced action game that is supplemented by an engaging metagame of designing the perfect build to adapt to each mission.

ElderPlayers - Ibrahim Hamed - Arabic - 8 / 10

Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon is one of From Software's best games. It succeeded in most of its aspects and provided addictive gameplay, fun missions within a beautiful story. It is a good step to expand the horizon of games that the studio produced in the last decade, and I think it fits gamers who loves this Studio and are looking for a game that offers a fun challenge.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 4 / 5

There are several epic, stunning-scale moments in which FromSoftware's artistic ingenuity prevails over the texture quality of an often austere and empty industrial world. It's a tough game, but the strong performance allows this strategic gameplay to put in your hands the customization of the path to victory. The upshot of this is that I would never have imagined putting Armored Core 6 among my favorites of the year.

Expansive - Laurie Jones - 4 / 5

Armored Core VI is not the usual FromSoftware jazz but it’s still not going to take it easy on you. From its deep layers of customisation, its huge amount of missions and the surprising amount of variety within them, and the wonderful free-flowing, fast-paced movement, this game stands apart as a fresh-start for their forgotten franchise and a throwback to their glory days. Fires of Rubicon is a showcase of a developer at the peak of their powers, able to switch up things to great effect and still manage to deliver a high standard of quality.

Forbes - Ollie Barder - 8 / 10

Overall, Armored Core VI is a proper mecha action game. It’s not the best game in the series, but it is solidly done. The new target assist setup works fine and is also able to be turned off if need be. The story and localization are great, and very much inline with the Japanese dialogue for the first time in the series’ history. It’s also definitely a return to form for the Armored Core series, but the never-ending boss fights do take away from the decent mission structure and pacing, especially later in the game. However, for someone like me that’s been playing Armored Core games for over 25 years, it’s nice that this series is back and finally being given a proper chance to shine

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 80%

Armored Core 6 is a successful sequel, combining the regular series' formula with some huge inspirations especially from Sekiro. It is fast, intense and challenging, later on maybe a little bit too challenging for average gamers.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

For those that don’t mind that its story is passable, and that its difficulty wildly varies from mission to mission, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is likely to be a bit of a treat. It looks great, the action is lighting fast and always remains smooth, and there’s genuine joy to be had in amassing a wide range of parts and then using them to create builds that allow you to much more effectively complete missions. This is a far cry from FromSoftware’s popular output in recent years, but can be just as engrossing – providing you have an open mind.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 8 / 10

Armored Core VI sees From Software return to and refine its roots with a game of thrilling mech combat built on aggression, agility, and customization.

Gamer Guides - Jarrod Garripoli - 8 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is an amazing game that has a few shortfalls, one of which is the horrible camera system. It is a difficult game, but once you get the hang of it, you will have a lot of fun.

IGN - Mitchell Saltzman - 8 / 10

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon’s stellar customization options feed into its excellent mecha combat, and the result is challenging combat puzzles that kept my attention all the way through its 15-hour campaign and beyond. It’s let down by a dull story, but lands direct hits where it counts.

INDIANTVCZ - Jan Kalný - Czech - 8 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a title that is unlikely to make it into the mainstream despite its efforts. It's headed in the right direction, yet it's particular with an exciting theme that will only appeal to certain players. Those that do, however, are in for an incredible audiovisual spectacle with great gameplay. As well as, for the first time in a long time, a simply excellent mech game. It's just a shame about the uninteresting story because, in other respects, it's an amazing and robust package.

PCGamesN - Andrew Farrell - 8 / 10

Armored Core 6 is easily one of the best mech games around, with blisteringly fast combat and a big focus on customization, even if its difficulty is lacking and repetition sets in before the end.

PSX Brasil - Luis Guilherme Machado Camargo - Portuguese - 80 / 100

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon has an excellent, complex gameplay with numerous possibilities to assemble your mecha and playstyle. However, it's also a title that doesn't realize its potential with the story, with the online and a series of decisions that could make the experience more enjoyable. It's certainly a great game, but it could have achieved a much higher level of excellence.

SomHráč.sk - Karel Šír - Slovak - 80%

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon has, without a doubt, achieved exactly what the creators wanted - to take the lessons learned during the development of the Souls series, apply them to Armored Core and give the series a new chance to shine. However, Souls fans need to keep their expectations in check and don't expect the game to be something that it never promised to be.

SpaceNerd.it - Mattia Mariano - Italian - 8 / 10

From Software returns to the Armored Core saga with an effective and entertaining sixth chapter. Its combat system is dynamic and satisfying, while the narrative leaves something to be desired as it lacks bite. Regardless, it remains a must-have title for all mecha fans and is considered an excellent action game.

Spaziogames - Marcello Paolillo - Italian - 8 / 10

Despite being a "minor" game, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is the best possible return for a franchise that has certainly been historic and that remained silent and quiet for many years, but that has still a lot to say.

The Game Crater - Lewis Maisel - 8 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a refreshing revival of a series that has been in a deep sleep since 2013. The deep customization options and fast-paced mecha combat more than make up for the game's mediocre narrative.

Too Much Gaming - Carlos Hernandez - 4 / 5

FromSoftware did not disappoint at revitalizing the Armored Core series with Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon, a title that superbly balances the parts and loadout of a fantastic Armored Core game while injecting the studio’s now-well-known specialty.

Oyungezer Online - Eren Eryürekli - Turkish - 7.5 / 10

Armored Core VI is action packed and has great pacing yet the polishing is nowhere to be found. It’s basically a PS4 game with the same old mechanics of a PS3 era game. I love the atmosphere and story yet the visuals looks very old and characters are dull as hell. It’s a good comeback but not as grand as we expect from From Software standarts.

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 7.5 / 10

At the end of the evaluation, Armored Core VI may stand as the best at what it does in its particular arena, but that’s largely due to a lack of stiff competition. From could have assembled something truly S ranked here, but didn’t.

XGN.nl - Chris Boers - Dutch - 7.5 / 10

Armored Core 6 is a nice diversion from the Souls games for From Games. The return to modular mechs allows players to experiment with wildly different builds. Sadly, the game feels very unbalanced. It throws very hard bosses at you when you're unprepared and underpowered, while not challenging you enough when you finally reach enough freedom to build an AC to suit your style.

Bazimag - Matin Nasiri - Persian - 7 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon is a good and enjoyable game for fans of the mecha genre, which offers challenging and memorable boss fights. But unfortunately, it is not able to improve or change some of the outdated mechanics and directions.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 3.5 / 5

With Armored Core VI, FromSoftware has demonstrated, yet again, that it has few peers when it comes to intelligent and thought-provoking action. You’ll need to be faster on the draw and quicker with the reactions to survive this game’s bullet ballet-like approach, but you’ll also need to be smart and precise, and there’s elegance to complement with the visceral sound of metal rending. Sadly, that’s all FromSoftware has delivered this time around, and for a company that has mastered the ability to give truly memorable context to its worlds, characters, and battles, the shallow hollowness of this experience is truly disappointing.

PCMag - Gabriel Zamora - 3.5 / 5

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon delivers exciting mech action and superb customization options, albeit with some annoying difficulty spikes and relatively drab maps.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon admirably weds satisfying combat with extensive mech customisation, with short missions letting you quickly experiment with new ideas and builds. However, once you've settled on an optimal loadout, it's those same quick-fire levels that begin to blunt the fun. The result is a game that can be just as enjoyable as it is frustrating. A littering of good boss fights and rock-solid performance on PS5 make it a worthwhile experience as a whole, but Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon won't go down as a classic in the same way other FromSoftware titles have for the past decade.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 7 / 10

Armored Core 6 is the master form of the franchise and it is a glorious return indeed, from the fantastic boss fights that made me feel like it is a take on Zone of the enders with the souls difficulty and tons of customizability made it all worth it, but it is marred by frustrating design decisions and terrible camera angles during a lot of the boss fights

TheSixthAxis - Jason Coles - 7 / 10

The long-awaited return of FromSoftware's mech-filled series, Armored Core 6 delivers on a lot of what fans will have been hoping and dreaming of. Building and customising mechs is engaging, missions are action-packed and it looks gorgeous, but it's undercut by swings in difficulty for boss fights and an all-too-familiar story.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 6.5 / 10

An odd return to what has been a mostly mediocre series.  It fixes multiple issues, mainly control-wise from the past titles, without adding much else.  It isn’t great to look at, and while it can be fun to play its poor balance as you progress kills any joy to be found after not too long.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3 / 5

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a powerful mech flying with faulty thrusters. A fast-paced action game loaded with thrilling dogfights and stimulating mech customization is dragged down by all too familiar FromSoftware quirks like illegible UI and a headache-inducing third-person camera. It’s not enough to fully spoil an exciting ride, but it does leave me wondering how far a good tune-up would have gone.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 6 / 10

Armored Core 6 could have been anyone's game. A satisfactory title, but nothing more, not very pretty, although technically solid, and very repetitive. A game with an old-fashioned structure that leaves no room for immersion and that does not even seem to want to take the player into his world.

VG247 - Josh Broadwell - 3 / 5

Armored Core 6 is the essence of a soft reboot. It has the unenviable task of drawing newcomers to a niche, sometimes overly challenging series without changing too much of what made fans like it to begin with. The result is a mixed experience that, while it has some shining moments of brilliance, feels a bit loose and never plays to its strengths.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Loved

Fires of Rubicon" doesn't spare players with its difficulty spikes, but its structure and incentives for combat make it one of the most accessible and enjoyable games from a post-Souls FromSoftware.

Kotaku - Ethan Gach - Unscored

The central fantasy of every FromSoftware game is pretty much the same—that through close observation and relentless practice you too can bootstrap your way to greatness, slay the dragon, save the kingdom, or solve the puzzle to unlock the mysteries of the universe. In many of the Soulsborne games this means mastering the violent gauntlet ahead of you. In Armored Core VI it means changing yourself until that death march becomes a cakewalk instead. It’s a game about having faith in yourself, even when no one else does, and becoming an ass-kicking mech pilot in the process, not because it will save the world, but because it’s cool as shit.

La Orden del Pixel - Mariano Daneri - Spanish - Yes

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is both perfect and not. I don't think it's the best thing FromSoftware has created in the last decade, and yet I feel that one of the studio's greatest achievements was to go for it. I don't consider it the best game of 2023 either, but at the same time I feel it's the GOTY. The sixth installment of this mythical saga is more Armored Core than I expected.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon heralds the triumphant return of the classic series that is now brought to greater heights because of FromSoftware's learnings throughout the years. By adding the best parts of their most recent titles, they've successfully incorporated these into Armored Core VI, which has elevated the title and their status as fantastic developers.

Armored Core VI is a stellar offering that deserves a spot in your collection, fan or not. Offering frenetic combat, flawless controls, and a polished experience not seen in many AAA titles of late, the game makes it much harder to disagree with the fact that FromSoftware is one of the best at their craft right now.

Polygon - Michael McWhertor - Polygon Recommends

But the most compelling aspects of Armored Core 6 come from its hard-fought battles, when 621 survives their mission with just a sliver of life left, having out-danced their opponent in the exchange of missiles, bullets, and laser beams. It’s noisy, chaotic, and starkly beautiful, all this clanging metal, ricochets, and explosions. It’s unlike many of the FromSoftware games you may have played over the past decade, to its benefit. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is the Elden Ring developer flexing an old, nearly forgotten muscle, but one that’s still strong as ever.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Jon Bailes - Unscored

Armored Core VI: Fires Of Rubicon's stylish main character, varied level design and effective story are balanced by a few out of place boss fights and too many similar battles. Like a mech itself, Armored Core VI is versatile and packs a real punch, but also somewhat bulky and not always perfectly balanced.

Unboxholics - Στράτος Χατζηνικολάου - Greek - Worth your time

FromSoftware returns after the very successful Elden Ring to familiar waters, but quite unfamiliar to many people who got to know it through Dark Souls. Its legendary franchise that was launched in 1997 on the PlayStation comes to the present day fully updated, with new ideas and gameplay that series fans will love. The game is definitely not for everyone due to its difficulty and setting, but it definitely appeals to those who want to play something different from the company, which once again does not disappoint, especially when it comes to gameplay mechanics, mechs and epic boss battles.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Based on what I've seen of this game, I'm impressed at how stubbornly From Software appears to have stuck to the AC formula that was outdated even in 2006. I'm curious how this game will be received by From Software's new audience. I suspect a lot of people will buy it, praise it, then put it down to gather dust. I also wonder how the multiplayer will be. With AC4 it was basically 1v1s in a small arena, and I spent most of my time using meta builds from forums to clown on people. Nowadays everyone will be running "#1 MOST BROOOKEN AC BUILD" from youtube, and I kind of doubt the game's balance will hold up to the immense effort power gamers are now able to expend on breaking games.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

So am I reading it right that this is brutally difficult with no difficulty options? I was hoping maybe they would let you have difficulty options for a mech game.

I'm sure we will get difficulty option via mod just like Sekiro  :sun:

• Hype 1

Today I learned this game is coming out Friday. What the heck man, totally slipped my radar. I’ll be following this thread for impressions. But I’m pretty sure I’ll get it anyways despite you noobs complaining about the difficulty :troll:

Edit: And I second that Mechassault reboot.  Playing that game online back in the day were some of the best times I’ve ever had. Slaying fools with overpowered Ragnarok never got old. LOL

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I was hoping maybe they would let you have difficulty options for a mech game.

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Based on what I've seen of this game, I'm impressed at how stubbornly From Software appears to have stuck to the AC formula that was outdated even in 2006. I'm curious how this game will be received by From Software's new audience. I suspect a lot of people will buy it, praise it, then put it down to gather dust. I also wonder how the multiplayer will be. With AC4 it was basically 1v1s in a small arena, and I spent most of my time using meta builds from forums to clown on people. Nowadays everyone will be running "#1 MOST BROOOKEN AC BUILD" from youtube, and I kind of doubt the game's balance will hold up to the immense effort power gamers are now able to expend on breaking games.

Multiplayer will be 1V1 and 3V3. They had a whole showcase of the multiplayer a couple of days ago with some big Esports players. This guy particiapted in that event

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I thought maybe this wasn’t a Souls and would be different! Deep discount after a trainer is released it is!

Armored Core (and King's Field), FromSoftware's two big franchises pre-Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, were the originators of FromSoftware's hard difficulty in their games. It would be a disservice to the legacy of Armored Core for Armored Core VI not to be brutally hard, since most Armored Core games are. Hidetaka Miyazaki, responsible for Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro/Elden Ring, got his start at FromSoftware with Armored Core, with Armored Core IV being the first game he directed (he then did Demon's Souls and the rest is history). His love of difficulty comes (in part), from his love of older Armored Core and King's Field games. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Armored Core (and King's Field), FromSoftware's two big franchises pre-Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, were the originators of FromSoftware's hard difficulty in their games. It would be a disservice to the legacy of Armored Core for Armored Core VI not to be brutally hard, since most Armored Core games are. Hidetaka Miyazaki, responsible for Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro/Elden Ring, got his start at FromSoftware with Armored Core, with Armored Core IV being the first game he directed (he then did Demon's Souls and the rest is history). His love of difficulty comes (in part), from his love of older Armored Core and King's Field games. 

I knew his history with the franchise but didn’t remember that all AC was always brutally hard with no options. All that said, as always, they could also still totally just offer a difficulty option :P

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I knew his history with the franchise but didn’t remember that all AC was always brutally hard with no options. All that said, as always, they could also still totally just offer a difficulty option :P

SFLUFAN posted an image on the first page of this thread that breaks down the difficulty of Armored Core games, ranked from "easy" (for Armored Core, which means hard in any other game) to basically "impossible". :p The reason these games don't provide difficulty options is because the difficulty is the point. They want you to struggle and master the game, if they just had some "story" mode it would defeat the entire purpose of the specific type of experience they're trying to give the player. It's that "purity" of forcing everyone regardless of skill level into that experience that precludes Miyazaki from giving "difficulty" options because "getting good" is the point of these games. For those who can't play these kinds of games, I'm sure that's annoying, but providing options otherwise would be missing the point somewhat of the shared experience of the specific difficulty in these games. 

• Halal 1

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

SFLUFAN posted an image on the first page of this thread that breaks down the difficulty of Armored Core games, ranked from "easy" (for Armored Core, which means hard in any other game) to basically "impossible". The reason these games don't provide difficulty options is because the difficulty is the point. They want you to struggle and master the game, if they just had some "story" mode would defeat the entire purpose of the specific type of experience they're trying to give the player. It's that "purity" of forcing everyone regardless of skill level into that experience that precludes Miyazaki from giving "difficulty" options because "getting good" is the point. For those who can't play these kinds of games, I'm sure that's annoying, but providing options otherwise would be missing the point somewhat of the shared experience of the specific difficulty in these games.

Oh yeah I know all of those reasons they say all the time whenever From games are talked about so it makes sense they are the same reasons for this as well. However, I do have one major counterpoint I’d like to submit:

they could also totally just add an easier difficulty option!

• Haha 1
  • True 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh yeah I know all of those reasons they say all the time whenever From games are talked about so it makes sense they are the same reasons for this as well. However, I do have one major counterpoint I’d like to submit:

they could also totally just add an easier difficulty option!

Right, but if they did, that would be missing the whole point though. :p The difficulty is the appeal.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Right, but if they did, that would be missing the whole point though. :p 

I think anyone who wants to “get” that point, would be highly capable of not selecting an option that said “easy mode” with a warning that it’s not as the developer intended, and then From would get my money in full instead of a discounted rate after a trainer is released! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think anyone who wants to “get” that point, would be highly capable of not selecting an option that said “easy mode” with a warning that it’s not as the developer attended, and then From would get my money in full instead of a discounted rate after a trainer is released! 

It's part of the branding though, and I doubt FromSoftware is worried about any potential money lost on gamers who can't play these games rather than instead of eroding their entire ethos that they sell a certain kind of gaming experience. :p 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's part of the branding though, and I doubt FromSoftware is worried about any potential money lost on gamers who can't play these games rather than instead of eroding their entire ethos. :p 

I think they will continue to do it for awhile but I do think at some point in the next decade or so the talk of it being an accessibility option or not (as in, gating out players with issues like add and poor reflexes from enjoying their games) will be looked at negatively and they will cave. I’m definitely not changing my mind on this so until then you will continue to see me bitch in From threads!

• Haha 1