Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC) - 2.8 million units sold worldwide

Commissar SFLUFAN

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm playing through the first one (as I said earlier) and it's a bit challenging in that in order to maximize profits (to buy new parts) you need to get hit less because you have to pay for the repairs. But it's kinda janky so you take a lot of damage most of the time so those upgrades come slow.

You're playing through the VERY first one? The PS1 one??? How has that aged? I remember the control scheme being real wonkey... the old system didn't have dual sticks did it?

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're playing through the VERY first one? The PS1 one??? How has that aged? I remember the control scheme being real wonkey... the old system didn't have dual sticks did it?

Yes the very first one. As I mentioned to Xbob the game does predate dual analog sticks so looking up and down is dedicated to their own buttons. Luckily the game lets you rebind every control (what a progressive option 🤔) so you can set up a control scheme that works for you.

It is a little wonky yes, I did play this a lot when I was young so maybe I didn't mind as much. What I didn't remember is how much the game is just a list of missions you go to and complete, and they go by pretty quickly, at least the early ones.

I mentioned it in another thread that I started doing a youtube thing so I thought this would make some interesting content so I thought about starting from the beginning in anticipation for the new game, at least until it comes out.

2750b91a113b231cc5d6e3ee82e9ac39a43a6a27
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Your burning questions, answered by developer FromSoftware.

FromSoftware is one of the most beloved developers around, creating modern classics like Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring that have enchanted and engrossed players worldwide. But let’s go back in time–back to 1997, when FromSoftware released the cult hit Armored Core on the original PlayStation, and players were enthralled by its mix of intense mech fighting action and strategic customization. The series has been cherished in the eyes of fans since, garnering multiple spin-offs and sequels over the years. Now, 25 years after players first built their custom Cores and 10 years after the last entry, Armored Core returns August 25–and it’s packing plenty of heat. 

We sat down with FromSoftware to get a first look at the gameplay of Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon and learn about the latest in mech action.

ARMORED-CORE-VI_10_4K.png?width=1200&hei
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Forget the number in the title. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon may be a return to FromSoftware's mech combat series, …

Forget the number in the title. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon may be a return to FromSoftware's mech combat series, but it's also a new beginning, on a new planet, with a new story.

Yet the studio's legacy is impossible to ignore. There's not only the past Armored Core games, which went on hiatus after 2013's Armored Core 5, there's the more recent success of the Soulsborne games - Elden Ring in particular. How to bring back a cult series with a fervent following, but make it relevant to fans of more recent games and brand new players?

It's a delicate balance, but one Armored Core 6 is poised to attempt when it releases in August.

FNR_Gameplay_Reveal_Thumbnail_16x9-b8ecb
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Since its surprise announcement during The Game Awards this past December, we’ve been eager to learn more about FromSoftware’s upcoming Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon, the first new Armored Core game in nearly a decade. Since the last entry in the franchise was released, the studio’s reputation for delivering high-quality and challenging games has only blossomed thanks to a string of commercial and critical hits like Dark Souls II & III, Sekiro:...

Since its surprise announcement during The Game Awards this past December, we’ve been eager to learn more about FromSoftware’s upcoming Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon, the first new Armored Core game in nearly a decade. Since the last entry in the franchise was released, the studio’s reputation for delivering high-quality and challenging games has only blossomed thanks to a string of commercial and critical hits like Dark Souls II & III, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and last year’s Elden Ring.

Now that I’ve had a chance to talk with Producer Yasunori Ogura and Director Masaru Yamamura about their vision for the upcoming Armored Core VI — launching for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One (with Smart Delivery support) on August 25, 2023 – we’ve been able to get to the heart of some of our burning questions, in particular if Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon is shaping up to be more of a Souls or Armored Core game; turns out it’s a little of both.

Because of the studio’s recent reputation, it’s safe to say the collective gaming world takes notice whenever a new FromSoftware title is announced. Gamers have come to expect a certain level of challenge when you see the studio’s name on packaging and Yamamura talked about this expectation as well, in particular with regard to the boss fights that we’ll encounter in Armored Core VI — and to not expect those to be as straightforward.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (From Software, PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC, 25 August 2023) - Gameplay Trailer, 25 August 2023 release announced
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As someone going through the games right now, that looks very Armored Core-y.

You're gonna want that edition with the soundtrack too because this is gonna be bangin'!

Get your Special Editions here:

bandai-namco-logo_1650997959__58438.orig
STORE.BANDAINAMCOENT.COM

Official Bandai Namco Entertainment Store

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@Keyser_Soze do you have Armored Core V? Im trying to track down a copy before this comes out.

I haven't looked too hard. I noticed you can get Verdict Day (which is the sequel to V) on Xbox.com. I might skip some of the later ones since I hear they have a bigger emphasis on multiplayer, I'll decide when I get there.

57 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I honestly don't remember it... It's been over 20 years since I played and beat it :p

It's a two part mission and the second part involves jumping on floating moving cubes to go to the top of this room and there are guns on the cubes that shoot you off and it's a long way up. Then when you get to the top you have to fight 2 of the hardest ACs in the game in another big vertical room.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a two part mission and the second part involves jumping on floating moving cubes to go to the top of this room and there are guns on the cubes that shoot you off and it's a long way up. Then when you get to the top you have to fight 2 of the hardest ACs in the game in another big vertical room.

Did you do the one on one battles against the other mercenaries? I think there were 50 in total? I remember doing that and I believe you get some pretty O.P. weapons from them. I remember by the time I got to the end of the game my AC was pretty decked out. It was slow, but I had some booster jets that took a long time to overheat and a pretty good assault rifle and sword.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did you do the one on one battles against the other mercenaries? I think there were 50 in total? I remember doing that and I believe you get some pretty O.P. weapons from them. I remember by the time I got to the end of the game my AC was pretty decked out. It was slow, but I had some booster jets that took a long time to overheat and a pretty good assault rifle and sword.

I don't think that is in the first game. Most are missions. There are a few, "one on one," battles but they happen during missions. When you finish the game there is like an arena thing but it's only a one time thing. Most of the secret AC parts in the game are hidden in the missions.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (From Software, PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - hands-off previews with new gameplay footage
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - hands-off previews with new gameplay footage
DrwckApCXPfvmgHmEdB4hM-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Forget what you know about FromSoftware's RPGs: Armored Core 6 is a return to pure, glorious action.

If you're here to learn one thing and one thing only, which is "does Armored Core 6 rip tremendous amounts of ass," I can save you reading the next 992 words. Yes. Yes it does.

After a decade focused on making games about fragile human flesh, FromSoftware is reveling in putting you in control of 10 tons of steel loaded for bear with 200 missiles. During a presentation at Summer Game Fest, producer Yasunori Ogura said that the degree of mobility you'll have traversing these large, vertical environments "is an experience unique to mech action games and cannot be reproduced with a human character."

It's kind of an adorable way to describe an action game. "You can only do this with mechs" has big "14-year-old showing you their model Gundam" energy, or, like, "70-year-old bachelor explaining why building model trains is the last pure hobby left to modern men." I was delighted.

Could you make a game like this with Superman or something? Sure, he even used some big guns one time. But would Armored Core be even 1% as cool with a guy flying around instead of a mech? C'mon.

ARMORED-CORE-VI_09_4K.png?width=1200&hei
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

FromSoftware's Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon is a series reboot that marries the unique quirks of mech combat with t…

What impressed most from the gameplay presentation was the sense of verticality. Making use of the unique mobility of a mech, players can jump and fly around huge exterior environments (as long as boost allows) that stretch upwards as much as outwards. Vertical catapults are also in place to launch players up great distances.

This verticality also lends itself to a variety of approaches to each mission, depending on the mech loadout. Players can fly to an objective or approach via a bridge on foot, for instance, and scan environments for enemies in advance. The vast, open level design also contrasts with intricate, claustrophobic interiors offering linear, winding corridors of pipes, steam and metal.

The lighting system also impresses. Environments consist of both man-made and natural terrain combined, though the colour palette throughout is predominantly an industrial grey. The lighting, however, brings these stark, cold environments to life, and shows off the small intricacies of the player's mech.

ARMORED_CORE_VI_09_4K.png
WWW.POLYGON.COM

FromSoftware’s follow-up to Elden Ring looks like a smooth ride

“Our aim is to create a new mech action by the current FromSoftware, which combines the fundamental fan aspect of the [Armored Core] series with the design philosophy of recent FromSoftware games,” Ogura said via a translator.

The producer showed a mission that tasks players with capturing a facility called Grid 086. Before hopping into the world, the mission started with a brief overview of the map and objective. As the level started, we were greeted with a vista of a towering and sprawling factory facility peppered with enemy machines. Eventually, the camera settled on the mech the player pilots.

Although the mech can wheel around, the quicker way to navigate is by using its jetpacks. The vast gap between the mission’s starting point and a looming structure closed quickly as the mech glided along the jagged industrial terrain, soared across gaps, and used a vertical catapult to fling it up through the air. Ogura described this boost mechanic as being “core” to the action of the game, both for combat and traversal. The first fight started, and we saw the player use these same jetpacks to dash side to side and up and down to avoid attacks, and to shift between close and mid-range combat fluidly

armoredcorevi-fromsoftwarespeaks-blogrol
WWW.IGN.COM

We recently checked out Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon, the latest in FromSoftware's storied mech series. Here's what we think after seeing the Summer Game Fest demo in action.

It's been interesting to watch the reaction to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon. After its expanded showing at last week's Summer Game Fest event, one attendee summed up the overall mood around the game with a dismissive, "It's just more Armored Core, isn't it?"

Well, yes. Handed what amounts to a blank check after a decade of hits including Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring, FromSoftware has opted to return to one of its earliest hits. This is FromSoftware being defiantly FromSoftware, ignoring the pressure to turn Armored Core into another Soulsborne game and making what it wants to make.

“The essential direction of [Armored Core VI] was to go back and take a good look at the core concept of Armored Core and what made that series special," FromSoftware's Hidetaka Miyazaki told us in an interview last year. “So we wanted to take the assembly aspect, assembling and customizing your own mech — your AC — and then being able to exact a high level of control over the assembled mech…we wanted to take those two core concepts and reexamine those in our modern environment.”

In short, it's definitely more Armored Core, and frankly, I couldn't be happier.

armored-core-6-screenshot-gameshub-15.jp
WWW.GAMESHUB.COM

With Armored Core 6, FromSoftware might've finally cracked the nut on a long-running issue that's previously plagued the mech-action series.

In familiar fashion to previous games, Armored Core 6 puts you in the role of a nameless mercenary in the far future who takes on dangerous missions for the highest bidder. Following a cataclysmic disaster on the planet Rubicon 6, factions of corporations, raiders, and rebels aim to stake claim to what’s left – and they’ll call upon the services of a freelance mech pilot to help their different agendas.

During the presentation, FromSoftware producer Yoshunari Ogura stated that Armored Core 6 aims to create a more modern take on the series that ‘combined the fundamental aspects of the AC series with the design philosophies of recent FromSoftware games, that’s focused on the tactical feel of the action, map and situational design, battles designed with ingenuity and a sense of challenge.’

Let me be clear; Armored Core 6 is not a Souls-style game. The gameplay of AC6 is firmly rooted in the series’ standard mission-to-mission structure, where your unique, interchangeable mech loadouts and strategies will determine your success for each job. There are no RPG mechanics from games like Elden Ring or Bloodborne, and there’s no fierce dedication to mastering timed button presses in something like Sekiro – Armored Core 6 is a third-person action shooter focusing on fast-paced and tactical mech combat, and largely in line with other AC games.

ARMORED-CORE-VI_14_1080.jpg?width=1200&h
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Our thoughts on a hands-off presentation which showed off some new Armored Core 6 gameplay.

LA is an amazing, if tremendously grey place. Everywhere you go, there are grey skyscrapers touching the clouds, so they all look like the concrete's puffing on numerous cigarettes. More often than not, cracked paving gives way to an empty lot or a vacuous car park, often with one guy slumped in a little booth ensuring it stays as grey as possible. So, what better way to commemorate grey than with a look at its president, Armored Core 6: Fires Of Rubicon?

Having seen a 20 minute presentation of the game at this year's Summer Game Fest, I'd say it struck me as an action game through and through, with the most recognisable bits of Souls soldered onto it when it came to, say, tough battles set to erratic rhythms. Honestly, I would say the hands-off demo is exactly what I expected it to be: lots of fast bits of metal slamming into each other in what was, perhaps, the least surprising FromSoftware reveal I've seen. Here's a piecemeal, slightly chaotic breakdown of the whole experience, coming to you from the frazzled mind of a jetlagged man sitting at a wobbly table.

YMdeoB5pWP6yRaW9TWmkvL-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Armored Core 6 preview: 15 minutes of gameplay sold me on mechs after years of dark fantasy RPGs

Much has been made of what Armored Core 6 isn't – namely, a Souls game, or even a Soulslike, let alone the next Elden Ring. FromSoftware's been busy swimming against the river of its own reputation, setting expectations and entreating fans ahead of a series revival a decade in the making. We know we made Elden Ring, the studio seems to say, but we make other things too. So what is Armored Core 6? It's a third-person action game about mechs. Yeah, that works. But after seeing gameplay in a hands-off Armored Core 6 preview, I'd say FromSoftware didn't go far enough in its messaging. Nearest I can tell, not only is Armored Core 6 not like Elden Ring, it's the opposite of Elden Ring. 

Armored Core 6 is linear and mission-based rather than open-ended. Combat looks much more breakneck than deliberate, but still tactical and not spammy. It prefers the industrial over the fantastical, and it seems to opt for vertical depth over a sprawling world. It proudly presents itself as a compact game rather than an unbelievably large one. There's clearly depth and challenge to be had, but there's an arcade, almost bullet hell charisma to it that actually makes it seem easy to understand – three words that wouldn't get within miles of most FromSoftware games. At the same time, just as players can use dozens of parts to make their dream mech, it's clear that bits and pieces of various Souls games were grafted on here. FromSoftware just can't help itself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - "Story" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PlayStation/Xbox/PC, 25 August 2023) - 12-minute gameplay briefing tomorrow (July 25) @ 0700 Pacific/1000 Eastern