Hades II - Steam/EGS Early Access ($30) Now! - update (05/17): Early Access Patch 1 released

Keyser_Soze

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hades II [Steam/EGS Early Access coming in 2023]
  • 9 months later...
WWW.SUPERGIANTGAMES.COM

Supergiant Games is a small independent game development studio in San Francisco, known for its award-winning titles Hades, Pyre, Transistor, and Bastion.

Early Access Starts Next Year

We now can confirm we're planning for Hades II to launch in Early Access in Q2 2024 on Steam and the Epic Games Store. We'll have more details on the exact date, pricing, and system requirements closer to that time.

Thank you for your patience as we gear up for this launch! You may be wondering, why can't we launch in Early Access, like, right now?! The game looked pretty far along in the first trailer! The reason is, Hades II will have at least as much content from day one in Early Access as the original game did back when it launched in Early Access on Steam. And, even though Early Access inherently means a game is not yet complete, we still want to do everything we can to make sure Hades II is worth your while as soon as you can play it in any capacity.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hades II - Steam/EGS Early Access coming in Q2 2024
  • 6 months later...
WWW.SUPERGIANTGAMES.COM

Supergiant Games is a small independent game development studio in San Francisco, known for its award-winning titles Hades, Pyre, Transistor, and Bastion.

About the Hades II Technical Test
We're conducting the Hades II Technical Test prior to our Early Access launch to help us find and solve any technical issues we might have missed thus far, to ensure anyone who tries Hades II in Early Access can have a smooth play experience from the start. The Technical Test contains much less content than what's in store for the Early Access launch, and may be available only to a relatively small subset of players who express interest in participating.

How to Sign Up
We are using Steam Playtest to run the Hades II Technical Test. If you'd like to be considered for participation, you can sign up right now simply by heading to the Hades II Steam page, and clicking the button marked 'Request Access'.

If you're a content creator, you may also request a key using Keymailer, though please note that due to the nature of the Technical Test, we may not be able to honor all such requests.

Who Gets to Participate
A subset of players who request access will be invited to participate via an email from Steam with download instructions. We expect to start with a small player population, then grow it over time. So, even if you aren't invited to the Technical Test right away, you may still be invited later. Our process boils down to: invite some players, fix any problems they run into, invite more players, and so on. Once we're sufficiently confident that things are stable, we'll wind down the Technical Test, then launch in Early Access on Steam and the Epic Games Store relatively soon after.

As the purpose of the Technical Test is to test the game with a relatively small audience, we may not be able to honor individual requests to participate. We will do our best to conduct the Technical Test as expeditiously as possible, then launch in Early Access, at which point the game will be available for anyone to purchase and play.

Technical Test Duration
The nature of the Test is such that we don't know exactly how long it will last, though our estimate is longer than a week, shorter than a month. We likewise don't know exactly when we will launch Hades II in Early Access, since that will depend on how long we end up having to run the Technical Test for.

Technical Test System Requirements
Here are the minimum system requirements for the Technical Test:

Processor: Dual Core 2.4 Ghz
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: 2GB VRAM / DirectX 12+ support

Technical Test Contents
The Technical Test contains the first major area of the game, and other early-game characters, systems, and content. (If you played the original game, imagine a version where you couldn't get past Tartarus even if you vanquished its guardian.) If you end up clearing the first major area a number of times, the game will gently suggest that you discontinue play, as Early Access shouldn't be far behind!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hades II - Steam/EGS Early Access coming in Q2 2024, update (04/17): Technical Test signups now live on Steam
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A few hours with the sequel's technical test left me hungry for more.

Surprise! Hades 2 is finally here and playable. Supergiant's hack-and-slash, flirt-with-gods roguelike is a brief technical test away from its Steam early access debut. I've slashed my way through its opening area and first boss and now I need more. Even though it's clearly in an unfinished state, it's good. Like, really good.

A small part of me was a little hesitant to see Supergiant do its first direct sequel. Every game since 2011's Bastion has taken us to completely different worlds with new approaches to combat. I wasn't even a huge fan of Pyre, but I respect any game that is brave enough to mix strategic action with sports game elements à la NBA Jam. Bastion was my favorite until Hades grabbed that torch and brought it into the realm of a roguelike action game wrapped in a story about a family of Greek gods and goddesses.

After playing a few hours of Hades 2, that small part of me has been proven wrong. The world absolutely needed another Hades, and Supergiant is already pushing the first game's satisfying loop even further than before.

Developer Supergiant Games just dropped three hours of gameplay footage ahead of Hades 2, and that's all it's taken to put the beloved roguelike's entire community in horny jail.

The huge Hades 2 gameplay stream showed off new features, Boons, and a whole lot more, but as ever, the cast and character art got some special attention from fans - fans who are now down very bad. It started early, when we got a look at Hecate, Witch of the Crossroads, who's clad head-to-toe in flowing robes save for an exposed midriff showcasing the kind of abs you could grate cheese on. The fact that Hecate is voiced by Amelia Tyler, best known as the narrator in Baldur's Gate 3, is just icing on the cake. 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Hands-on| Even at this early stage, Hades 2 is ready to improve on its predecessor

Something new happened to me when I started to play Hades 2. From a janky beginning, I could feel the muscle memory returning to my fingers with every trepidatious step I took through the highly anticipated sequel to one of the best roguelikes in recent memory. And while the first Hades 2 technical test demonstrates that there's more than enough here to justify a full-fledged sequel from developer Supergiant Games, the footsteps of new protagonist Melinoë fit firmly within those of her predecessor, Zagreus.

Unfortunately, Zagreus is nowhere to be found. Melinoë's older brother is missing, along with her mother, Persephone, and father Hades. Their place in Hades' halls has been taken up by the Titan Chronos, and with the help of Hecate, goddess of magic, Melinoë plans to take it back. Although that may be easier said than done.Trained by Hecate almost from birth, it's clear that this new protagonist has the skills, but not necessarily the confidence, to take on the Titan of Time. 

Melinoë's movements and attacks are clearly styled very closely after Zagreus, the same feeling of nipping at the heels of enemies is here – the cycle of dashing in and out to harry foes with a quick barrage of blows before getting out of harm's way is firmly built in to the structure of Hades 2. I've not played much of the original Hades since its full release in 2020, but the gentle feeling of familiarity that overcame me as I got to grips with Melinoë was extremely comforting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Hades II - Steam/EGS Early Access Now!
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hades II - Steam/EGS Early Access ($30) Now! - Early Access reviews posted
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

There's a whole lot of game in there already.

After a short testing period a couple weeks ago, Hades 2 has officially entered early access on Steam and the Epic Games Store. It's been almost four years since Supergiant released what is one of the best action RPGs out there, and now we get to watch it develop a worthy sequel.

Hades 2 is absolutely worth playing right now in this unfinished state, but know that it's going to be a while before it gets its final coat of paint. Supergiant expects to be working on it "at least through the end of 2024," according to a note as you boot up the game, but hasn't figured out when it'll be finished yet. But I've put in close to 12 hours and it already feels fantastic to play.

If you played the first Hades in early access, you'll know the major updates—which often introduce new characters, weapons, and regions—take time to make. Supergiant says Hades 2's first major update will take "some months" of work before it's ready. But the good news is that the game has plenty of things for you to do in the meantime, which I'll detail in as spoiler-free a way as possible below.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Here's our review of Hades 2's early access release.

I play to be surprised - and I'm still surprised, just as I was in the first Hades. A few runs back I entered a more quiet room amidst the carnage, and found myself face-to-face with Arachne. She offered me a choice of dresses to wear, each of which limited my resources in certain places while providing upgrades elsewhere. I chose and moved on and was pretty happy about things.

But I thought: Arachne. And the more I thought, the more a connection formed that allowed me to make a bit more sense of Hades 2. I'm going to very briefly invoke Spanish artist Velazquez here, so apologies and yes I really need a wider range of cultural touchstones. Anyway, Las Hilanderas, one of Velazquez' last paintings, was thought for many years to be a painting of a bunch of people spinning yarn. That's until someone discovered that the real drama was playing out in tiny form in the background of the image. This is where two hard-to-identify characters were engaged in the fable of Arachne, in which a great weaver makes a fool of a goddess and pays for it in a manner that, given her name, you can probably predict.

For years, this piece of art had been misunderstood, its point missed, in part because it was yet another masterpiece from an artist who only really worked in masterpieces - which is probably pretty close to how I see a team like Supergiant at this point. You know: oh gosh, another vivid classic, fine.

My point is, Hades 2 often strikes me as more of the same at the moment, but - two things again! - one: maybe I'm not yet dialled in sufficiently to see the deeper, secret point of the whole thing. And, two: we're right at the start of this journey and it would not surprise me if the game I'm playing today, a game I already love, is not the game I'm playing a year from now. And that's quite a thought.

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Hades 2 has the beginnings of a confident slash-happy action roguelike. Another poppy, fun-loving adaptation of classical Greek japes.

There are misgivings. As with the first game, I like it less the more bullet hellish it gets. The trade-off for beautiful and flashy effects is that sometimes the battle becomes hard to read. Much of this is a matter of getting used to exact splash ranges of gassy attacks. The imprecision of these painful clouds does keep you on your toes but it can also feel a little unfair. Sometimes you're simply certain you weren't in range of that puff of scarlet smog. Likewise when some small element of the environment - a cluster of roots or a stray outcrop - hampers a critical escape. It's hard to know what among these frustrations is accidental and what's intentional, designed to reward the growing expertise you're certain to accrue with hundreds of runs.

But it's encouraging that these worries are so few and far between. Roguelikes, I feel, don't suffer as much as other genres from the early access path. The first Hades did it and it quickly became one of our best action games. So, I hereby grant you permission to crack through as much as this follow-up has got to offer, to get briefly obsessed, and then to put it aside for months. The piecemeal, adaptive storytelling is still there too, eschewing anything so simple as the classic three-act structure. Which, for me, makes long absences that much easier to bear. Like the game's own shrouded Narcissus, Hades 2 is already inviting and attractive, even in its unfinished form.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Supergiant's sequel is ambitious, accomplished, and filled with characters I already care about so much.

Supergiant has stated that Hades 2 will reside in early access until at least the end of this year, with several months between major updates as it works to add new biomes and fine tune everything that is already in here. All of which is bold, accomplished, and everything you’d want from a sequel like this.

At first, I had my doubts, but now I cannot wait to see how it’s built upon in the year to come, and exactly where these stories and characters will go next. Every single run has memorable dialogue, new discoveries, and deepening relationships with a pantheon worth fighting for. If Hades 2 can keep up this momentum, we could have yet another classic on our hands.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

The latest Review,,,reviews, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at GamesRadar+

Early Verdict:

There's a little bit of polish left to apply, but given the sheer increase in scope between Hades 2 and its predecessor, that's more than understandable. A hugely ambitious roguelike, with an improved progression loop and grander narrative, but the same ruthlessness in play and charm in worldbuilding as the original, makes this an astounding early access success.

Pros:

+ The same excellent combat as the original
+ Greater skill expression with magic system
+ Far grander narrative ambition

Cons:

- Difficulty curve is a little wobbly
- Some artwork is missing

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

A modern gem of a studio, the team behind Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, and Hades and known for always leaving its fans guessing when it comes to what is next.

The most exciting thing about Hades 2 so far is its scale. There is so much in the Early Access build that hints at what will come in the future, so many characters that aren’t fully explored yet, we’re already dying for another update.

There is always the argument to be made about waiting until much more of a game, or the full game is out before supporting it, but in the case of Hades 2, we don’t know how much more convincing you could need.

Supergiant Games hasn’t lost a step and this is one of the most confident Early Access releases ever. Even with just two areas and a small selection of the content that will be in the final game, it’s better than almost all of its peers.

WWW.IGN.COM

Even in its Early Access state, Hades 2 is just about everything one could ask for in a sequel to one of the best roguelites of all time.

Verdict
Hades 2 feels impossibly huge and unbelievably polished by any standard, much less an early access game. Mel is awesome, the new tweaks to the combat and progression are excellent,  and its just unbelievably feature packed with twice the content of the first. Despite that, it is clearly still a work in progress: There are some placeholder art assets; there are still more weapon aspects to come, there’s a weapon missing from the arsenal of a six, there’s currently no proper story ending, and there’s still another planned region that will be part of the next major update in the next few months. But even with all that it’s currently missing, what’s here right out of the gate is astounding, and the thought of more coming on the way is a tantalizing treat. 

WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Supergiant Games outshines itself and sets a new precedent with Hades 2, the closest thing to a perfect game that you'll play this year.

Hades 2 is flawless, perfecting the roguelike genre in a way its predecessor almost managed to do. Its incoming additions aren’t required to complete it – this version of the game is refined, advanced, and wonderful. They will, however, enhance an already breathtaking experience beyond comprehension.

WWW.VIDEOGAMER.COM

Hades 2 carefully sandwiches more nuance between the original’s kinetic combat, gorgeous visuals, and heartfelt narrative - our review.

Supergiant Games’ first sequel builds on everything the original did incredibly well. Hades 2 carefully sandwiches more nuance between the original roguelike’s kinetic combat, gorgeous visuals, and heartfelt narrative. With each end comes an opportunity to clear an obstacle, deepen a bond, and inch closer to thwarting Chronos. It takes self-awareness and restraint to tiptoe between gluttonous choices and tactical depth. Hades 2 sprints on it.

Be it a marathon session or a short burst, this tightly woven formula carries the roguelike genre forward, as though Hades 2 is why the genre was created. In a world that reacts to your victories and setbacks, you’re never sore about losing. Like its familiar but new soundtrack, it promises a riot of surprises at every corner. Back in 2020, I saw Hades as a symbol of hope when systemic flaws and a pandemic ravaged the world. Four years later, Hades 2 makes a bigger splash and is a reminder that family, however estranged, is worth fighting for.

Even in early access, Hades 2 already feels like a very polished and feature-complete game, though I’m sure there’s plenty more story content to be added in, and other little combat tweaks to come. More than anything, I find myself itching to play more to find out just what happened to Zagreus. But for now, I’m content to be back in the Underworld and to see what more this world has to offer. It’s nice to be home.

WWW.GODISAGEEK.COM

Hades 2 is a bigger, deeper, more personal adventure, and I can't wait to see how deep Melinoe's quest takes her.

Crucially, though, Hades 2 plays phenomenally well. It doesn’t feel like early access, with fast, graceful, impactful combat and a story that feels more mature. It’s also stunning to look at; from the character art to the atmospheric environments, it’s a disarmingly beautiful adventure so far.

Arguably, some could find it a little too familiar. What’s been added is mostly in the periphery, with the core loop feeling almost identical to the first game. New characters and a new colour pallette work hard to offset this, but there’s no denying that Supergiant Games have found their stride here, and are content to walk the same path for a little while at least.

But that’s a minor complaint and perhaps an unfair one to level at a game in early access. This will evolve and grow up to 1.0, and there’s plenty of time to add to what already feels like a full experience in terms of mechanics if not content. I’ve no doubt in my mind that Hades 2 will dazzle next year when it hits 1.0. It feels incredible to play and looks like it’ll be a bigger, deeper, more personal adventure, and I can’t wait to see how deep Melinoe’s quest takes her.

TWINFINITE.NET

Dive into the depths of Tartarus or climb to the height of Olympus!

Hades 2 has managed to improve upon every single aspect of the original. If you’re a fan of difficult but rewarding rogue-lite exploration, where every run gets you closer to your objective, it’s perfect. Despite our minor gripes, the game manages to be engaging and dynamic with each run providing a unique new experience for you to adapt to and overcome. We can’t wait to see the content Supergiant Games have up their sleeves for later in early access and the eventual full release.

Hades was a game I felt like I just didn't get it. I enjoyed it, but it never fully clicked with me. I actually never beat it now that I think about it. 

I'm still interested in this though...but not in early access. 

It's pretty solid. I managed to clear the first area on my second try after experimenting a bit with the combat changes. It's extremely polished. I wouldn't know it was early access just from this (although it will probably be more apparent when it stops early :p )

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hm...normally I'd prefer to wait for the finished product, but I guess the point of the game is tons of replaying the same loop anyhow...

My first hour or so suggests that this very much feels like a launched game.

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Hades was a game I felt like I just didn't get it. I enjoyed it, but it never fully clicked with me. I actually never beat it now that I think about it. 

I had a similar "this is good" but wasn't clicking with me response at first. But probably around the time I got the shield it hooks sank in. I think the biggest problem I had with the first was the lack of defensive options other than dash, which is probably why I loved the shield.

I've only done two attempts in this one, but it might be better in this regard. Your cast, for example, is an area around you that locks enemies in place, and in addition to your dash, you can sprint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I still need to play more of the original too. I remember the lava zone really stressing me out :lol:

Don't worry, it get's worse :p 

The thing I like about Hades is you do feel a good skill progression. Not just because you get more powers, but you do eventually feel able to reliably tackle challenges that seemed really daunting at first.

My biggest issue with Hades is it's a bit too too much rogue like, where to practice a fight you have to go through the whole damn thing again. I think Rogue Legacy 2 has the right idea with letting you "lock" a world so you could get right back to the boss fight you started. Although I do recognize this has some design challenges in Hades since you really need to get some boons etc. to properly handle the fight. If nothing else, they need a practice section of the spawn area that doesn't "count" but let's you learn a boss with some former loadout you had.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I had a similar "this is good" but wasn't clicking with me response at first. But probably around the time I got the shield it hooks sank in. I think the biggest problem I had with the first was the lack of defensive options other than dash, which is probably why I loved the shield.

I've only done two attempts in this one, but it might be better in this regard. Your cast, for example, is an area around you that locks enemies in place, and in addition to your dash, you can sprint.

I might pick up the steam version and play it. I have the Switch version. And there's cross save so maybe that's my way back in. 

I will also say I find the discourse around the "sexiness" of the game to be weird. The game itself doesn't bother me but the articles about it I just found off putting.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I might pick up the steam version and play it. I have the Switch version. And there's cross save so maybe that's my way back in. 

I will also say I find the discourse around the "sexiness" of the game to be weird. The game itself doesn't bother me but the articles about it I just found off putting.

A lot of ladies liked Ares no shame in that bruh.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Social media only becomes stranger :p It probably wouldn't have even registered as a "thing" if you played the game in a vacuum.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

And, boy - are there ever a LOT of those articles!

• True 1

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

You'll want to adjust the button settings before you play, IIRC everything is mapped to the same letters but then it's backward since the letters on the Switch and Xbox controllers are flipped.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

You'll want to adjust the button settings before you play, IIRC everything is mapped to the same letters but then it's backward since the letters on the Switch and Xbox controllers are flipped.

I played two runs and noticed this pretty much right away lol. I can adapt pretty quick. I wish we’d go universal on button names. 

It annoys me the most with Nintendo retro stuff. They stick to the B is run and A is jump like it used to be but the position of those buttons on modern pads feels horribly horribly wrong. It’s funny that like Mario Wonder maps it properly and then you go play Mario 3 and it’s like well this is bad. Thankfully you can swap it but it’s annoying. 

Played a bunch today and it's quite good. Dunno if it's an actual change or my character not being as upgraded as I'm used from the original, but some of the mobs feel a lot spongier than the original game.