God of War Ragnarök is the fastest-selling first party launch game in PlayStation history (5.1 million copies sold)

SaysWho?

39 minutes ago, legend said:

Didn't Last of Us 2 recently take this title? If so, impressive that it's already been beat!

11 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Nooo... apparently initial sales of tlou2 were soft. Sony didn't report any sales until much later. 

I think they announced they finally reached Lugi's Mansion 3 numbers (13 million) at Summer Game's Fest.

EDIT: Not quite I guess, only hit 10 million.

Note of comparison I just found out: this is higher than the lifetime sales of the first three games.

God of War 4,617,347
God of War II 4,244,529
God of War III 5,197,632

The collection sold 2,418,516 (first two games), and I don't know what GOW Saga sold, but that's a fast-selling fucking game.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Note of comparison I just found out: this is higher than the lifetime sales of the first three games.

God of War 4,617,347
God of War II 4,244,529
God of War III 5,197,632

The collection sold 2,418,516 (first two games), and I don't know what GOW Saga sold, but that's a fast-selling fucking game.

And it’s not even that fast, honestly. The new Pokémon has likely tripled that. war zone 2 has 25m unique players (hard comparison, but still), Elden Ring did 13m opening week. It’s crazy to me Sony never gets close to those numbers.

still, they made their money back and more.

14 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

And it’s not even that fast, honestly. The new Pokémon has likely tripled that. war zone 2 has 25m unique players (hard comparison, but still), Elden Ring did 13m opening week. It’s crazy to me Sony never gets close to those numbers.

still, they made their money back and more.

Oh it’s quite fast. Anything seems slow compared to Pokémon and Call of Duty (and that was f2p and 2020).

Elden Ring sold 13m in the opening 4-5 weeks.

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Oh it’s quite fast. Anything seems slow compared to Pokémon and Call of Duty (and that was f2p and 2020).

Elden Ring sold 13m in the opening 4-5 weeks.

Jeeze it’s like next you will tell me Elden Ring is multi platform and Warzone is multi platform and free to play.

That take always makes me laugh. *Something breaks sales records* “hm, disappointing” 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Jeeze it’s like next you will tell me Elden Ring is multi platform and Warzone is multi platform and free to play.

That take always makes me laugh. *Something breaks sales records* “hm, disappointing” 

150m ps4’s and 5’s, there’s no reason they aren’t doing at least half of Pokémon numbers, which isn’t multiplat. Nobody said it was disappointing, but it is mind boggling that great games sales numbers are destroyed by broken Pokémon games. 

17 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

150m ps4’s and 5’s, there’s no reason they aren’t doing at least half of Pokémon numbers, which isn’t multiplat. Nobody said it was disappointing, but it is mind boggling that great games sales numbers are destroyed by broken Pokémon games. 

Because it's Pokémon.

It is kinda wild how Pokémon has stayed so popular with new generations of kids. You have people my age who were the exact right age when the first games launched and are still fans 20+ years later. But when I was at Thanksgiving last week, I found out my 8 year old cousin and all of his friends are obsessed with the new games, the cards, the show, all things Pokémon. That’s not something a God of War can compete with. 

On 11/29/2022 at 4:41 AM, TheLeon said:

It is kinda wild how Pokémon has stayed so popular with new generations of kids. You have people my age who were the exact right age when the first games launched and are still fans 20+ years later. But when I was at Thanksgiving last week, I found out my 8 year old cousin and all of his friends are obsessed with the new games, the cards, the show, all things Pokémon. That’s not something a God of War can compete with. 

My 7 year old niece loves pokémon and hasn’t played the games yet. I’m thinking of getting her one for Christmas since I know she’s getting a switch (and botw). I’m thinking let’s go might be a good first one though instead of Scarlet.