Artficial Intelligence Threatens Yet Another Aspect of Life

This is essentially just what the majors are trying to do anyway, I don’t see the problem? They just want to be able to get some pretty and/or appealing to certain demographics potential star they can groom and have them auto tune along to a hit song written by teams of people who are similarly trained on making popular compositions. 

I can see this being an issue for hitmaker teams but I don’t see why it’s a record label issue beyond lack of foresight. 

They should be investing in the technology and bringing it in house to cut out the songwriters from residuals beyond the three words they let whoever the next Avril Lavigne is write for the lyrics. 

• True 1

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm this is EXACTLY what they're warning about. I don't even see why anyone would want that.

I don’t want it, but from a business perspective it seems short sighted to not see a better roi by investing in the tech internally rather than fighting it. I think the latter is just a losing battle that leaves them out in the cold.

I can see why most people would be against it, besides the record labels, who I feel could take advantage of it and only care about profit anyway.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

I don’t want it, but from a business perspective it seems short sighted to not see a better roi by investing in the tech internally rather than fighting it. I think the latter is just a losing battle that leaves them out in the cold.

I can see why most people would be against it, besides the record labels, who I feel could take advantage of it and only care about profit anyway.

I’m not sure if I’m for or against it but every AI music generator I’ve listened to is boring as hell. But every big pop producer is essentially a formula writer at this point. Same basic principle in an algorithm. 

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I’m not sure if I’m for or against it but every AI music generator I’ve listened to is boring as hell. But every big pop producer is essentially a formula writer at this point. Same basic principle in an algorithm. 

AI is an aggregator, it can't be helped. That's not the same as a stagnant songwriter.

• Halal 1

few billion years to stop life. A lot of those automation don't seem to know how complicated a cook's life is. That video that sutures a grape, ONE FUCKING TASK and I don't trust human fucking software to 'solve' this. BTW, how much are those units? Easier to automate banking and software frankly.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, legend said:

All this technology is good, but our lack of legal preparation to avoid exploitation is not. 

This just reminded me of an article I read a week or so back. Maybe the first time I wanted to kill an AI with fire.

That...that just don't sound healthy.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm not worried. I don't see how AI could think outside the box. 

Eh, that's not limitation of "AI" so much as a limitation of the nature of these particular distribution matching algorithms.

Thinking outside the box is actually exceptionally easy. Thinking outside the box efficiently in ways that are useful (or interesting to humans in the case of art) is possible but very hard.

2 hours ago, legend said:

Eh, that's not limitation of "AI" so much as a limitation of the nature of these particular distribution matching algorithms.

Thinking outside the box is actually exceptionally easy. Thinking outside the box efficiently in ways that are useful (or interesting to humans in the case of art) is possible but very hard.

I mean you could program "people tend to think things like this are interesting" but once it becomes a pattern it's no longer interesting, so you'd have to have some sort of generic noise as a filter for uniqueness but even that has a pattern and is still not capable of being outside the box. "Outside the box" is always changing. 

10 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I mean you could program "people tend to think things like this are interesting" but once it becomes a pattern it's no longer interesting, so you'd have to have some sort of generic noise as a filter for uniqueness but even that has a pattern and is still not capable of being outside the box. "Outside the box" is always changing. 

Long-term, you wouldn't program it that way. You'd build an AI that builds a theory of mind and reasons from that, and good theories of mind are inherently non-stationary, because even AI agents are non-stationary, and people certainly are too. It's a hard problem for sure, as are most problems in AI, but it's still a problem that can be solved.

49 minutes ago, legend said:

Long-term, you wouldn't program it that way. You'd build an AI that builds a theory of mind and reasons from that, and good theories of mind are inherently non-stationary, because even AI agents are non-stationary, and people certainly are too. It's a hard problem for sure, as are most problems in AI, but it's still a problem that can be solved.

Not with my mind 

Waves Brain GIF by kidmograph

• Haha 1

Whatever the medium is, I think that the risk of AI generated art becoming somehow all consuming is very small. Sure, AI artwork might show up in news posts, AI might write blog articles about the market, or create background music for youtube videos, but I don't see any of those things somehow destroying the existence of human generated content.

Now, what seems increasingly like an inevitable future to me is the coming ubiquity of AI tools to create art in all these mediums. The Verge had a great piece on people that use AI models to help themselves write novels. Right now, these tools are being used to help writers who are cranking out books or articles really fast, but it wouldn't shock me if future versions of Word have something similar built in, and we just accept that everyone uses AI to help with their writing. MS is already incorporating DALLE2 into their new designer software.

I imagine over time the ways that AI can be most helpful to creators of all times will become streamlined, integrated everywhere, and overall an accepted part of the creative process. Merely another tool of our time.

Which is all fine and good if you don't think craft comes from experience. Diversity is about the most natural thing about life and feeding the creative mind through a monolithic poop-shute is not my idea of progress. I remain on the following statement, the liberal arts were the earliest modals for human discovery. It's even been recently posited that the invention of cooking may have been a dramatic moment in human history. Those cave paintings already older than any modern society, will outlive life on the current course. Humans need a good reckoning about our biology. The is no king in life.

• Like 1