Like a Dragon: Ishin! - Information Thread, update: Game Pass release on October 17

Commissar SFLUFAN

eEgqB4H98Yffh6jEQVsg9a-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Like a Dragon: Ishin! is being "rebuilt from the ground up" and is confirmed for PC.

Like a Dragon: Ishin! is set in 1860s Edo Japan and puts you in the shoes of famous samurai Ryōma Sakamoto—though he happens to be a dead ringer for Yakuza series protagonist Kiryu, and he's also changed his name to… well, you get the idea. Ishin plays a lot like the other Yakuza games, with a heavy dose of cutscenes interspersed with beat-em-up (or in this case, slice-em-up) action. There's also farming and cooking and other side activities, like chicken racing and mahjong. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles)
1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

They should bring over Kenzan! and Shinsho (the PSP one) as well, it'd be about time.

Kenzan will probably never happen due to questionable parts of the story. The two PSP games would have been fun to get remade but their stories are ok-ish. You can actually play the first one with a localization patch.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Kenzan will probably never happen due to questionable parts of the story. The two PSP games would have been fun to get remade but their stories are ok-ish. You can actually play the first one with a localization patch.

I mean if they remake it like they're doing with Ishin! here they could cut the questionable parts of the story or update/change them as needed I'd think? Also, I was only aware of the one PSP game, what's the second one?

47 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean if they remake it like they're doing with Ishin! here they could cut the questionable parts of the story or update/change them as needed I'd think? Also, I was only aware of the one PSP game, what's the second one?

Erm it's a big part of the story

Spoiler

https://yakuza.fandom.com/wiki/Ryu_ga_Gotoku_Kenzan!/Chapter_5

In 1605, after Haruka has sold herself to Tsuruya, Kiryu goes to the brothel to ask Yoshino to look after the girl. While speaking with her, Kiryu is shocked to learn that Haruka sold herself to Tsuruya's Landlady for only one ryo; a measly amount of money. Later that night, Haruka returns to Kiryu's home and once again restates her request that he kill "Miyamoto Musashi". Swayed by the girl's determination, Kiryu agrees to take on her request.

The second game on PSP is a direct sequel, here is an old photo of mine I posted when I finally got around to grabbing physical copies even though I had digital copies for a long time.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Reveal hidden contents

The second game on PSP is a direct sequel, here is an old photo of mine I posted when I finally got around to grabbing physical copies even though I had digital copies for a long time.

spacer.png

Oh yeah now I remember the second PSP game, nice. And reading those spoilers, that's not bad at all. I mean, it's 1605, I think it'd be fine if handled well in a remake for Kenzan!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: 10 minutes of gameplay from TGS
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: "Combat" Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: "Swordsman Overview" Trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: multiple gameplay overview trailers posted

Final previews:

The Yakuza series taught me how to be a Japanese mobster: every day I get up, suplex 25 guys who were rude to me on the street, hit the batting cage, eat cheeseburgers and sing karaoke. Now, thanks to the new remake of Like a Dragon: Ishin, I also know exactly what it was like to be a yakuza in 1867: Sword fight 25 guys every day, bet on chicken races, and perform seductive fan dances. It might not be historically accurate, but who cares, honestly.

This spin-off puts you in the robes of Sakamoto Ryoma, a noble swordsman framed for murder looking to clear his name. Being framed for murder is a plot thread in most of the Yakuza games, and Ishin keeps things familiar despite being set 150-ish years before most of the series.

Ishin is not quite remake nor remaster of 2014's Ryu Ga Gotuku: Ishin, which was never localized outside of Japan. While the core narrative remains the same, the combat and graphics have been rebuilt in Unreal Engine 4. You might notice from trailers and screenshots that Ryoma bears a striking resemblance to the Yakuza series' protagonist, Kazuma Kiryu. Ishin is what RGG Studio calls "historical fiction," with some of the series' favorites playing the roles of actual historical figures as if it were a stage play. This winking, theatrical casting means every time a recognizable face from the series shows up, it feels like a nice little treat for long-time fans, like a celebrity cameo in a sitcom.

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

SEGA's historical period drama finally arrives overseas - It’s as ancient as Like a Dragon: Ishin’s backdrop, but ther...

It’s as ancient as Like a Dragon: Ishin’s backdrop, but there was a time when Yakuza fans had to fight tooth and nail like Kazuma Kiryu for Yakuza games. Back when Yakuza Ishin released as a Japanese exclusive launch title for the PS4 in 2014, PlayStation’s third-party evangelist Gio Corsi was hard at work “building the list”. This initiative saw Sony stump up the cash to assist with the release of several fan requested games, of which Yakuza 5 was one. SEGA, seemingly disinterested in the series after a spate of dismal sales, had all but given up. And then something extraordinary happened: the franchise blew up.

That brings us all the way to the present day, where almost a decade later, Ishin is getting a modern remake and a release overseas. It’s not the first historical Yakuza, of course – Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan precedes it on the PS3 – but its storyline stands alone, and cutely functions as a kind of period drama featuring familiar faces from across the spectrum of the franchise’s catalogue. That means fan favourites like the aforementioned Kiryu, Majima, and Akiyama are all present – but they’re pantomiming as real people from the Bakumatsu period, with the plot loosely retelling the tales of two real-world samurais, Sakamoto Ryōma and Saitō Hajime.

Like A Dragon: Ishin! was originally released during a very different era for the Yakuza franchise. It hit shelves in 2014 as an offbeat launch title for the Playstation 4, when only the most diehard aficionados of Japanese imports were playing Yakuza games in the West. Ishin! positioned itself as one of the strangest entries in the canon, trading in the rain-slicked noir of the mainline succession for a samurai-western mashup set in the 19th century that's totally disconnected from the prodigal sagas of Kiryu and Majima. Sega never bothered to localize the game for English speakers, probably because they deemed it too frivolous compared to the rest of the Yakuza lineage. But American gamers are currently in the midst of an ongoing Yakuza renaissance, and that means Ishin! is finally coming to our shores in the form of this spruced-up remake that emphasizes all of its glorious anachronistic excess.

Do not be fooled by the historical vintage: Ishin! is very much a Yakuza game, in the sense that it is balanced precariously between a hard-boiled revenge saga and a dizzy ensemble comedy. I played the remake for two hours, which was bracketed by a story mission where our main character, Sakamoto Ryōma, infiltrates a secretive paramilitary organization filled to the brim with ruthless killers who've mastered a deathly, impervious sword-fighting style called Tennen Rishin. (In that sense, Ishin! borrows liberally from some of the oldest kung-fu tropes in the book.) Along the way though, I ambled into karaoke bars, chicken race track circuits, dance halls, and gambling dens – each populated with the exact sort of lovable miscreants that give this series its color. We are deep in annals of antiquity, and nothing has changed; the madcap sidequests, intricate relationship-building subsystems, and ridiculously fleshed out mini games are all right in place. Case in point: I bumped into a sweaty samurai otaku — like the Comic Book Guy for katanas — who promised me a huge prize if I could procure for him a specific type of blade. He didn't want to use it, of course. He just wanted to see it up close.

like-a-dragon-ishin_KBropWF.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We got hands-on with an early portion of Like A Dragon: Ishin and came away impressed by a remake that's almost certainly going to make fans very happy.

Above the Berlin Samurai Museum's gift shop and flanked by ornate helmets of fearsome warriors of a bygone era, I played a few hours of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio's remake of historical Yakuza spin-off Like A Dragon: Ishin this week. The original was a Japanese-only release back in 2014 on the PlayStation 3, but what a fever dream it was to be dropped into Chapter 3 of the story and let loose on an Edo period Kyoto as none other than Ryoma Sakamoto (multiverse Kiryu). I almost cried, I raced chickens, I caught a big eel, and I've come away with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

From what I've played of the game's earliest portions, it's Yakuza through and through, to both its benefit and detriment. I don't expect it to convert those who dislike the series, but if you're a fan or a newcomer, it's looking like it'll both be a celebration of its cast, and a remake that feels like an old-school spin on the excellent Yakuza 0. In other words, the perfect introduction point to this mad, but beautiful action series.

Until I'd sat through some lavish cutscenes, I hadn't realised quite how well Yakuza's all-star cast lends itself to the shogunate. Legendary clan captains like Yakuza 0's Kuze (or KUZEEEEE!!, as he's better known) brood in their hakamas, interjecting with gravelly barks as dust gently falls on tatami floors. Kneeling replaces arms slung back on velvet chairs. Sliding doors adorned with delicate motifs replace the blink of printers and panes of glass. Still, business etiquette is upheld across generations, as characters old and new hash out their strategies with a familiar charged energy. I'd say the late-Edo period will likely make for better back-stabbing, though (in every sense of the word).

ss_5402b29e1b20297e547da36affb3fd6b8ab4b
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Ishin!’s historical setting doesn’t diminish the franchise’s drama or silliness

The story of Like A Dragon: Ishin! centers on Sakamoto Ryoma — he just happens to look a lot like Yakuza protagonist Kiryu Kazuma — who embarks on a mission to uncover a mysterious assailant after his father figure and mentor, Yoshida Toyo, is murdered. The only thing Ryoma knows about the masked attacker is his swordfighting style, known as Tennen Rishin. Seeking answers, Ryoma travels from his backwater town Tosa to Japan’s capital city of Kyo where he joins the Shinsengumi, a special police force, under an alias.

I recently played an early chapter of Like A Dragon: Ishin! on Xbox Series X — it’s also coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows PC, and Xbox One in February — and found it just as engrossing, melodramatic, and comical as any Yakuza game to date. In some cases, the historical Bakumatsu period setting only made some elements of the Ishin! even funnier.

Chapter 3 of Like A Dragon: Ishin!, “Mibu Wolves,” sees Ryoma settling in the Fushimi district of Kyo. It’s a bustling, metropolitan town full of vendors, restaurants, bars, and brothels, as well as outlaws and lowlifes roaming the streets just looking for a fight. There are also minigames — gambling, chicken racing, even a proto-karaoke bar — and diversions like bathhouses and dojos where Ryoma can train in a variety of fighting styles.

4091883-1.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Sega is finally bringing a classic Yakuza spin-off to the West, and it's set to offer both the familiar and the unique.

The Yakuza and Like a Dragon games are all remarkably well-told detective stories, combined with the exploration of familial dynamics and development of earnest friendships, and in the 45 minutes of the campaign I played, much of that was represented. I was putting together the puzzle that would help solve the whodunnit mystery with the small crumbs of information I had learned in that time. This is going to be a red-string-on-corkboard kind of game, and some players may even decide to build out that display in real life to help them track the mystery.

I also couldn't help but chuckle at its absurd elements--another series staple. The Like a Dragon series has a passionate following largely for its blend of intense drama with lighthearted comedy, and in Ishin that concoction has all the charm that fans of the series have come to expect, with both drama and comedy deftly weaving together to bring its story to life. That combination also works its way into brawling gameplay, which is largely in-line with the mainline games that preceded it albeit with much more sword and gunplay this time around

Macan_4K_Heat_1-760x380.png
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Preview: Throwback action-brawler takes the madcap action to 19th-century Japan.

Like a Dragon: Ishin! sticks close to the plot and structure of its original Japan-only PlayStation 4 release. But this version revamps the combat and adds numerous quality-of-life improvements that bring the game closer to modern series entries. That includes introducing the flair and character growth systems found in 2020’s JRPG-inspired Yakuza: Like a Dragon, which melds with the original game's brawling to make Ishin! feel like more of an action RPG.

My hands-on time with Ishin! dropped me into Chapter 3, which, as mentioned previously, sees Ryoma arrive in the Fushimi district of Kyo. As an outsider, he must explore an unknown town while trying to follow up on a mysterious assassin. This chapter is where the game’s structure and gameplay open up properly, giving you the entire Fushimi district to explore. While you have a main objective, you’re free to wander back alleys, engage in mini-games, and encounter unsavory and colorful characters hanging around town. These types of activities are what make the Yakuza games so special, and Ishin! delivers on that in a big way.

One of the more compelling aspects of Ishin! was just venturing out and exploring the city to see what I could find. I mostly took my time exploring the more populated areas of town, engaging in diversions, including going to restaurants to snag sushi and sake; checking out training dojos to better Ryoma’s combat prowess; and jumping in on side activities focused on learning complex dances to perform for a crowd.

ishin-preview-3.png
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Eurogamer's preview of Yakuza remake and new western release, Like A Dragon: Ishin!

Having played through a couple of hours of an early chapter, I think it's safe to say that Ishin retains the core of what Yakuza fans dearly love about the series, all with a fresh lick of paint.

The familiar open-world full of side-activities remains. There's several restaurants, sub-quests, and mini-games dotted around the city of Kyo for you to get lost in. During my time with the game, I often got distracted from the main quest to explore each alley and find as many sub-stories as possible.

The sub-stories are what make the world of Kyo truly feel lived in. Through these, the player is submerged in the politics and attitudes of 1860s Japan. One sub-quest requires Ryoma to teach children about global geography, revealing how wary Japan was of the threat of foreign countries until the end of the Bakumatsu era. Another sees Ryoma come to the aid of a Western scholar named Creek, who is attacked by a group of locals enthusiastic about enforcing the edict to expel foreigners.

bVoqCeuuNQ7wSf9eWmWm2J-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

We chatted to chief producer Hiroyuki Sakamoto after going hands on with Like a Dragon: Ishin

In Like a Dragon: Ishin, I place bets on racing chickens. I help out at the local Udon restaurant by memorizing orders, try the art of Buyo dancing – which sees me hitting buttons in time to gracefully move a fan in different directions – and sing my heart out on the stage of a local bar. Just an hour into my demo session, and I'm in mini-game heaven. With the chance to check out chapter 3 and freely explore the Fushimi and Gion districts in the setting of Kyo (a fictionalized version of Kyoto), it's a joy to discover all Like a Dragon: Ishin has to offer. Just like in the streets of Kamurochō in the Yakuza series, I get swept up in memorable side activities, and heartwarming and comical substories. All of the signature ingredients of the Yakuza games are here, with Ishin delivering a historical spin that brings something new to the table. 

Like-a-Dragon-Ishin-chickens.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

Like a Dragon: Ishin keeps the Yakuza tradition of amazing mini-games alive, with a touch of human soul.

“I know the type,” says the Chicken Race Receptionist. “The true gamblers. The stallions at the track. The cocks in the henhouse.”

He is, of course, referring to me: Like A Dragon: Ishin player character, Sakamoto Ryoma. On a quest to find out who really murdered his father, Ryoma has landed in the Japanese capital of Kyo, intent on sniffing out any leads he can in a world full of political intrigue and social unrest, on the cusp of a new age. But all that’s set-dressing. The city of Kyo, it turns out, has a pretty good chicken racing scene. And that’s why I’m really here.

As soon as I walked into the henhouse, I formed a bond with him – this fowl man that sat cross-legged in the reception area. This clerk that smelled softly of feathers and chickenshit. With an enthusiastic grin, he offered to teach me how to race chickens. I think we had a spark.

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&crop=1280,720,x0,y0,s
WWW.FORBES.COM

Recently I managed to have a go on the upcoming remake of Like a Dragon: Ishin! and it was very good indeed.

While Ishin is not what I would strictly call an open world game, it is an open area one. With each area being sizeable and complex enough for you to wander through and explore. If you ever played the Shenmue games back in the day, then Ishin feels more like a modern version of that rather than a samurai themed Grand Theft Auto.

Much as in other Like a Dragon games, Ishin does have a wonderful amount of pure silliness tucked away too. Yes, the main story is handled in a serious way, but a lot of the fun in these games are all the side quests and story beats down various alleys.

From worshipping a lucky cat to figuring out who stole some Japanese sweets, there’s a lot of silly stuff to bring a smile to your face. Especially as the localization has been handled so well and gets most of the puns right, which are a big part of Japanese humor.

ishin-preview.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

I just wanna Wild Dance(r) the night away, with samurai who can slay.

There’s something deliciously captivating about slicing through your opponents and seeing the blood burst out in a crimson crescendo in Like a Dragon: Ishin. The mainline Yakuza games have their fair share of violence — even smacking people in the face with bikes is commonplace, and plenty of blood is spilled in the name of betrayal, revenge, and love. Yet Ishin feels noticeably bloodier, as you take on the role of the famous samurai Sakamoto Ryoma and trade the series' traditional bikes, baseball bats, and trash cans for a sword that's as sharp as Akiyama’s wit.

Yakuza’s combat has been hotly debated in the past, with many fans preferring the turn-based battles of Yakuza: Like a Dragon over the classic brawler style of older titles. Ishin’s combat is familiar territory, utilising four different styles that you can switch between in action-style battles, but having such powerful weapons at your disposal makes it surprisingly reinvigorating.

like%20a%20dragon%20ishin%20okita.jpg?it
TECHRAPTOR.NET

We tried out Like a Dragon: Ishin! to see how this throwback to the Bakamatsu era holds up in the current day era of Yakuza games, with fights, shenanigans and the franchise's trademark strange humor.

There is a ton of things to do in the game and at one point I completely forgot I had a story to advance, as it’s easy to get lost running around and doing whatever strikes your fancy. In addition to quantity, the side missions contained a huge amount of variety. From finding the right thing to say, simple battles with thugs, to puzzles and navigating the streets during chase scenes, they don’t feel repetitive. Instead, you do feel like you’re in a very rich, colorful tapestry of city life in the Bakamatsu period, albeit one where many of the people have decided to be as overdramatic and strange as possible.

Having never played a Like a Dragon game before, I wasn’t sure what to expect from Like a Dragon: Ishin!'s combat and could only hope that it was easy enough to pick up in the limited amount of time that I had to complete my demo. Fortunately, the basics are fairly easy to grasp and the game lets you pick between four different combat styles, which you can even switch mid-fight if you need to. This came in handy during one boss fight when I was able to circumvent swordplay and simply shoot the guy, while I stayed safely across the room and out of his attacking range. Controls are smooth and while the basics are easy to pick up, there are good building blocks for anyone who wants to work on using different fighting techniques.

like-a-dragon-ishin-01.png?fit=709%2C399
WWW.SILICONERA.COM

Like a Dragon: Ishin sends players into feudal Japan in this period piece featuring prominent characters from the Yakuza series.

Like a Dragon: Ishin is a memento of the past in more ways than one. It reminded me just what I loved about the Yakuza series, at least in terms of its gameplay and main cast. Switching through styles was something I sorely missed walking away from Yakuza 0 (and Yakuza Kiwami), and playing Ishin felt like riding a bike. You can freely swap between these four styles, which include using a katana, barefist brawling, using a gun, or using a gun and a katana. While the four styles naturally aren’t comparable to what you had in Yakuza 0, there is enough variation there to feel rewarding. Especially as the game grades you on how well you perform in combat. It’s more or less like a less intensive Devil May Cry style meter, as your cumulative rank is scored after every encounter which determines how much money and experience you get.

Each of these styles plays fairly differently, with the gun and sword style more agile than just outright using my fists. That particular style was great against bosses, since you could practically evade and counter almost any attack. Whereas brawling with enemies that have spears and katanas wasn’t particularly ideal. However, you can go about disposing of common thugs and bosses in any way you see fit. You’re not constrained to any one thing, and the gameplay allows for you to tackle these encounters however you like. Especially since it also features the same sort of sphere system that previous, similar entries in the series had. Which means you’ll be grinding out these spheres to level up the individual skill trees of these styles.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: final preview articles/videos posted
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: "Blade of Vengeance" trailer
  • 3 weeks later...
Like-a-Dragon-Ishin-Demo_02-16-23.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

A "Combat Demo" for Like a Dragon: Ishin! is now available for PlayStation 5 via PlayStation Store, Xbox Series via Microsoft Store, and PC via Steam worldwide, publisher SEGA and developer Ryu Ga…

A “Combat Demo” for Like a Dragon: Ishin! is now available for PlayStation 5 via PlayStation Store, Xbox Series via Microsoft Store, and PC via Steam worldwide, publisher SEGA and developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio announced. Save data from the demo cannot be carried over to the full game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: "Combat Demo" released for PC, Xbox Series, and PS5
On 9/14/2022 at 12:55 AM, chakoo said:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

I can’t imagine why any of that would need to be cut, or stop it from being released here. This idea that the English speaking world can’t handle adult themes is ridiculous. Hell, I can think of far more offensive things than that in modern games.

Game Information
Game Title: Like a Dragon: Ishin!

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PC (Feb 21, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 21, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Feb 21, 2023)

Developer:  Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio
Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 82 average - 92% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5

Like A Dragon: Ishin is an almost stunningly intelligent game and in so many ways it is superior to the (already brilliant) series that it has spun off from. The historical setting really does the formula favours, and the development team have done such an exceptional and highly refined job of balancing authenticity and entertainment, serious storytelling and humour. At the same time, they’ve also maintained the core action and gameplay structures that we all love about the series. It is, simply, impossible to put down, and will be a strong contender for the best thing you’ve played this year.

VG247 - 5 / 5

Like a Dragon: Ishin in my eyes earns the lofty score I’m giving it. The game is the most fun I’ve had with a single player game in years, and getting a review code for it the same day as Hi-Fi Rush left me spoiled, incredibly tired, and astoundingly happy. It’s worth your time and your money.

Gamepur - 9.5 / 10

With Like a Dragon: Ishin seemingly in my rearview, I’ve completed every Yakuza game released in the West. This isn’t me bragging about being better than you. In fact, I would bet you would give me a good, old-fashioned Mr. Shakedown beating if we met in the Kamurocho streets. Instead, I want to set the table for what I’m about to say. Even with a story that ends with a bit of whimper and substories that feel stuck in 2014, Like a Dragon: Ishin is now my third favorite game in the series behind Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Judgment.

Final Weapon - 4.5 / 5

Like a Dragon: Ishin! is another incredible action game produced by SEGA and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. Sakamoto Ryoma's journey is emotional and action-packed, hitting all of the right chords for an excellent Yakuza / Like a Dragon title. This game is welcoming to newcomers while rewarding longtime fans for their continued support of the long-running series.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5

The long-awaited remake of Like a Dragon: Ishin delivers an exciting and frequently gorgeous new setting to explore, a more rewarding combat system, and some of the best side quests and minigames in the series to date. Don't let the katanas fool you, this is the Yakuza you know and love at its very best.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 90 / 100

A missing gem from the Yakuza/Like a Dragon saga. Ishin! has the same ingredients that made the franchise great in a story that is set in completely different era. A must play for fans of the saga and a great introductory title for newcomers.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

A fascinating game in many aspects, which rewards the patient player and eager to explore. It does justice to the legendary franchise it comes from.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

You can't go wrong with Like A Dragon Ishin. The game includes what makes the Yakuza franchise so special and combines it with samurais and Edo Period politics. A handful of oddities aside, it leans into its strengths and irons out several of the franchise peculiarities. Every gamer, either invested in the franchise or still uninitiated, needs Ishin in their console.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

There’s not much else that can be said of Like a Dragon: Ishin! other than that it’s an exemplary Ryu Ga Gotoku title. Fans of the older Yakuza games and Judgement will feel right at home amidst its familiar gameplay mechanics and story beats, and the polish applied to these facets will ensure they’re well rewarded for the time they invest in the game. It’s a welcome return to the series’ past, and a good sign of how well the series will hold up moving forward.

WhatIfGaming - 9 / 10

I had a fantastic time with Like a Dragon: Ishin, and it’s a worthy addition to the Yakuza series lineup. Like other modern Yakuza titles, this release is filled to the brim with enjoyable content, memorable characters, and an addictive combat system with tons of variety. The character work is fantastic, and the series’ invaluable skill to switch between serious and hilarious tones is present here as well, with some of the best moments in the franchise.

XboxEra - 9 / 10

For fans and newcomers alike, this game is a triumph and needs to be experienced.  PLAY THIS GAME.

Gaming Nexus - 8.8 / 10

It's been nearly a decade since Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! released exclusively in Japan, but RGG Studio has finally brought it over to the West in the form of Like a Dragon: Ishin!, and it does not disappoint. Not only does Ishin! touch upon an important part of Japanese history, it does so by excellently balancing ridiculously fun over-the-top action with engrossing narrative pacing and mature character development. It doesn't quite meet the bar of a full on remake though, so that's something worth considering.

CGMagazine - 8.5 / 10

Like a Dragon: Ishin! despite being set in the distant past, is unmistakenly bore of the same DNA of the Yakuza series proper and will be a treat for fans of the long-running series.

ComingSoon.net - 8.5 / 10

While it isn’t the best playing game in the Yakuza series, Ishin remains a a great title and an essential experience for fans.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

With a great story, charismatic characters, fluid and fun combat and a gameplay that is the hallmark of the franchise, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is the remake fans wanted so badly. Even with small bugs, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio shows, once again, that the series' formula is far from boring and makes us anxious about what will come ahead.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Like A Dragon: Ishin, offers both a familiar Yakuza experience in an entirely unique setting. Some technical issues and arbitrary systems can't hold back a compelling narrative, excellent combat, and a compact open-world packed to the brim with engaging content. Like A Dragon: Ishin shouldn't fly under your radar during this busy period, and is well-worth diving into for both series veterans and newcomers alike.

RPG Fan - 85%

Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a terrific Yakuza game, and a wonderful jumping-on point for new fans of the series!

Worth Playing - 8.5 / 10

Like A Dragon: Ishin! is Ye Olde Yakuza, but that's all it needs to be. The setting is fresh for the series, and it provides a fun way to see the same crime drama action in a new historical setting. Even if I prefer the modern setting, Ishin handles the change of setting well. It doesn't break an molds, but it's a delightfully fun experience for fans of the franchise. If you're itching for more Like A Dragon, Ishin! scratches that itch wonderfully, and it's a darn fun game in its own right.

Game Informer - 8.3 / 10

Like a Dragon: Ishin is an awesome spin-off to an already-great series, and one I'm glad finally came to the States. Even if it tripped on the landing, the story kept me gripped, and I hope some of the new combat styles and special moves make their way to other RGG games. I also hope we'll get the other spin-offs that never made their way over. Time will tell, but for now, it's nice to be back with my favorite criminals.

INVEN - Korean - 8.2 / 10

Though the game's story handles historical moments such as late Tokugawa Shogunate and Shinsen-gumi, but the understanding it won't be necessary since the game is focused on a person's drama. Instead, it is much more faithful to its core, 'Like a Dragon' than any other work out there. As the title of 'Kiwami' always has been, 'making a good use of previous work' without much change can be both an advantage and a demerit at the same time.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5

Like a Dragon: Ishin is a stellar period piece filled with melodramatic monologues, great combat, goofy side content, and a whole lot of heart.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8 / 10

Like A Dragon: Ishin! has a bit of ironing out to do before it becomes the amazing game it deserves to be. Players may notice it is the least polished game in the series in some time, and be tested by a slow start to the narrative and rolling out of mechanics to engage in chaotic fun. It's worth sticking it out though. It's one of the better stories to come from the franchise, with gripping inner and political conflict, where steel collides and wounds (both physical and emotional) cut deep. Kyoto too is home to some of the better instances of minigames and sub-stories, getting good mileage out of its feudal Japan setting. Living out your samurai life is palpable and thoroughly enjoyable as you cut down anyone who stands in your way in engaging combat. Like A Dragon: Ishin! may not be an all-timer for the series, but it's definitely the title with the best vibes.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

GGRecon - 4 / 5

The love and charm of the Like a Dragon franchise is at the core of Ishin!, a fact alone that makes this one of the best games you will play this year.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Although Like A Dragon: Ishin is dated in some respects, the gripping drama and spirit of Yakuza makes for an enticing historical fiction.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Buoyed by a fantastic setting, Like A Dragon: Ishin! is bound to be a treat for all fans of the series.

GamingTrend - 80 / 100

Like A Dragon: Ishin! is a great game, but doesn't do much to stand out against other games in the series. The story and setting are novel and interesting, however, the combat lacks any sort of balance. Even so, the excellent melodrama is worth seeing through to the end.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Exactly what fans of the series have come to expect, whilst still providing one or two interesting deviations in gameplay along the way, Like A Dragon: Ishin! fuses familiar traits with a delightfully-versatile combat system to great effect.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8 / 10

As a remake, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is nothing special, but fortunately the game, despite its spin-off nature and a few wrinkles here and there, has little to envy the other chapters in the series.

Push Square - 8 / 10

The wait has been worth it: Like a Dragon: Ishin! is another great instalment in RGG Studio's series. An often gripping story is made even better by the game's historical leanings, while a rewardingly intricate combat system gives the gameplay an addictive hook. Add all of those typically barmy Yakuza side activities into the mix, along with some delightful references to past games, and you've got the makings of a fan favourite.

RPG Site - 8 / 10

Like a Dragon: Ishin turns back the clock to the Bakumatsu period in Japan and its new remake is an excellent revitalization of an already solid entry in the Like a Dragon / Yakuza series as it finally launches in the west for the first time at last.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

All the strengths of the main series, strong main plot and characters, brutal fighting system and a rich world brimming with activity, albeit in a smaller, simpler package, offset by a historical setting during a pivotal time in Japanese history.

Saving Content - 4 / 5

Outside of the time period, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a cut-and-dry copy of any other Like a Dragon title before it. Luckily, that is an entertaining formula. If you found those other titles a chore, stay away from Ishin! Although the ancient Japanese setting might be enough for you.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Though Like a Dragon Ishin! is rough around the corners, its complex story and rich world with an abundance of side adventures are well worth the cost of admission. The game’s reinterpretation of Japan’s Bakumatsu period is a transporting experience that explores a moment in history that is not often available to Western audiences. Ishin has some trouble upgrading the combat system and camera controls to today’s standards, and it’s not a graphical powerhouse despite some visual upgrades. But anyone who is a fan of the Yakuza Kiwami series will likely forgive these faults to a degree. Like a Dragon Ishin! may be just a remake of a spin-off, but its blades are sharp enough to ignite your inner samurai.

Siliconera - 8 / 10

At its best when its focus is divided, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a fun Bakumatsu sandbox. It doesn't have the engrossing standout minigame like the cabaret or business management challenges of previous titles, and its time period means it also doesn't pack a fun arcade. But its jack-of-all-trades approach still resonates.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8 / 10

Yes, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio could have redone this with the Dragon Engine and yes, it plays exactly like the original, which is a game from nine years ago, but Like a Dragon Ishin! is still a delight for both newcomers and old time fans alike.

TheGamer - 4 / 5

Like a Dragon: Ishin is a near-perfect package for fans of the series. It weaves an intriguing tale founded in historical events that has you hooked from the very start and eager to learn more at the very end. There’s a wealth of lighthearted substories, minigames, and slice-of-life gameplay, which offer a nice change of pace from the dark storyline. The weapon-based combat is a much-needed reinvigoration for the series that offers fast-paced, bloody carnage in style. The only real letdown was the few graphical issues I experienced, which hopefully a patch will soon resolve.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Like A Dragon: Ishin is a really fun spin off for this long-running series. Many of the big characters from the mainline Yakuza games, bar some of the newer games, are recast as new ones but none of the impact is lost. Edo Period Kyo is a great city to explore with plenty to offer players, and the combat styles are really fun to experiment with, even if Brawler is a bit wasted. The long wait for a Western release has been worth it.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

Like a Dragon: Ishin! starts slowly and then suddenly bursts into many details and opportunities to expand your abilities and activities in everyway possible. The story is intriguing, combat is fun, and the content is varied.

Twisted Voxel - 8 / 10

Like a Dragon: Ishin is a Yakuza franchise spin-off set in 19th-century Japan with a lively open-world experience, four unique combat styles, and plenty of substories to complete. The addition of Trooper Cards might not be appealing to everyone, and the game's visual presentation is dated with some minor bugs, but it's still a decent remake of a 9-year-old game.

VGC - 4 / 5

Like any swordsman learning their craft, Ishin! starts unsteady and builds in confidence. Some ideas struggle to earn their place in the overstuffed mix, but with a propulsive tale, told by some of our favourite gaming characters, it’s easy to get swept up in Like A Dragon: Ishin!’s samurai cool.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Kazuma Kiryu's lineage is ever present even as the streets of Kamurocho are swapped for the well-traveled streets of Kyo at a time when American influence was only starting to reach Japan. Despite being a period piece set during the tumultuous Bakumatsu period, Like a Dragon: Ishin! still feels like that classic Yakuza JRPG that fans already know and love.

GamePro - German - 79 / 100

Exciting historical thriller with an atmospheric game world and a lot of humour, which takes away the technical legacy of the original version.

PC Gamer - 78 / 100

Old-school Yakuza for better or worse, but still a good point of entry for newcomers.

WellPlayed - 7.5 / 10

Fans won't want to miss this recontextualised yet authentic Yakuza brawler. Hopefully, newcomers attracted to the theme can forgive some poorly aged systems and jank.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5

Like a Dragon: Ishin's timeless story and accessibility options make up for some of its outdated gameplay.

IGN - 7 / 10

Like a Dragon: Ishin! is an enjoyable and interesting spin-off from the Yakuza series, but not an essential one.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

A welcome novelty and throwback for long-time Yakuza fans, that offers everything they love about the series, although it's held back by a rather underwhelming plot and too much fan service.

ACG - Buy

"Like a Dragon Ishin is a unique title in a unique series, a bit more cumbersome but also the more serious story helps it feel a little closer to the heart. Lots of side activities and side jobs lets you explore a unique time and place."

Console Creatures - Recommended

Like a Dragon Ishin! remixes and reintroduces familiar fan favourites in a period piece well worth your time.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation

The long overdue samurai spin-off is classic Yakuza under its period dressing but also underwhelming as a current-gen remake.

One More Game - Buy

Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a fantastic remake that continues the adventures of Kiryu, albeit in a different time period and with a different character. Yakuza series fans will surely know what they’re getting into, but newcomers to the series will experience a game that’s easy to pick up and play through thanks to its gripping storyline and engaging systems.

The game is filled to the brim with content, and it would definitely take a whole lot of hours to scour through all of them, more if you’re aiming to complete all achievements and trophies. The game does feel old in some aspects, but the Yakuza DNA is evident in Like a Dragon: Ishin! and we wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

Polygon - Unscored

For all of its strengths, Like a Dragon: Ishin is still weighed down by its cartoonish undercurrent and abrasive ending. On a mechanical and systemic level, it’s a fun jaunt, with familiar faces and more fan service than anyone could possibly ask for, in a vivid historical world. But narratively, it’s a reminder of how quickly the stories in these games can go south. And by the time the credits rolled, I remembered why I’ve had difficulty keeping up with the series over the last few entries. Ishin may be a remake of a 2014 title, but those problems have persisted throughout the interim, and each time it tries to address social issues — current or historical — it takes one step forward, two steps back. The more things change, the more they stay the same, especially in the world of Yakuza.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

An 1800s action-adventure that's sure to both delight longtime Yakuza fans and make for a perfect entry point into the series for newcomers.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Like a Dragon: Ishin! (remake of Edo-era Yakuza spinoff) announced for 21 February 2023 release (PC/PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles), update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
capsule_184x69.jpg
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hello RGG Fans! Thank you for playing the Like a Dragon: Ishin! – Combat Demo. The team is aware of the issues reported by some players and is currently looking into the following: Stuttering when effects are first loaded Crashes on startup (on rare occasions) The display of some UI elements is out of position on ultra-wide displays Changes in heat gauge reduction behavior that is dependent on FPS We appreciate your support and patience while our team...

Thank you for playing the Like a Dragon: Ishin! – Combat Demo.

The team is aware of the issues reported by some players and is currently looking into the following:

• Stuttering when effects are first loaded
  • Crashes on startup (on rare occasions)
  • The display of some UI elements is out of position on ultra-wide displays
  • Changes in heat gauge reduction behavior that is dependent on FPS

We appreciate your support and patience while our team looks into these known issues.
Please continue to share any bugs you encounter via the Official Bug Thread.

- RGG Community Team -

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

The shit with the streamers and youtubers. They hate e-celebs.

The outcry is just so dumb. They can simply just ignore that part of the game. Celebs being apart of the game is a series staple (yeah I know it's just VTuber shitting).

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I can’t imagine why any of that would need to be cut, or stop it from being released here. This idea that the English speaking world can’t handle adult themes is ridiculous. Hell, I can think of far more offensive things than that in modern games.

Umm a story themed around child selling herself to a brothel isn't going to fly no matter what you think. You can't simply just cut it out without having to rewrite a lot of the story. Sega isn't going to take a chance with it.

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

The outcry is just so dumb. They can simply just ignore that part of the game. Celebs being apart of the game is a series staple (yeah I know it's just VTuber shitting).

Umm a story themed around child selling herself to a brothel isn't going to fly no matter what you think. You can't simply just cut it out without having to rewrite a lot of the story. Sega isn't going to take a chance with it.

Dude, there's a thousand manga and anime that are far worse released every day, and they all get translated for American sales.. The Gal Gun type games as well. There's nothing in the story that makes it hard to release here, and would be very easy to change the age she went to the brothel if it did matter that much. 

Like a Dragon is litlerally about a guy who grew up in a brothel. 

As long as they aren't showing actual child pornography, it's a nothing burger.