Sony is no longer reporting PS4 shipments which means the final total for the console is ~117.2 million as of March 2022.

Brian

50 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

PS4 is what I primarily game on, I also have an Xbox 360. I have over 700 PS4 games, and I don’t plan on getting a PS5 until Grand Theft Auto VI comes out.

GTA 6 won't release until 2025 at the earliest. Just sayin but I have a feeling this new gen will last probably a year or two longer due to covid in the beginning. 

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

GTA 6 won't release until 2025 at the earliest. Just sayin 

I have a feeling that it might come out in 2024, but even if it is 2025 or later I have plenty of PS4 games to play until then.

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I have a feeling this new gen will last probably a year or two longer due to covid in the beginning. 

The current gen is definitely going to last longer than the previous one, I’m in no hurry to go current gen because I still have a lot of catching up to do with last gen.

• True 1

On 8/10/2022 at 8:58 AM, Phaseknox said:

I have a feeling that it might come out in 2024, but even if it is 2025 or later I have plenty of PS4 games to play until then.

The current gen is definitely going to last longer than the previous one, I’m in no hurry to go current gen because I still have a lot of catching up to do with last gen.

Though this way of thinking makes me sick inside, I can not get this feeling of how great the Steam Deck pro or SD2 is going to be.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

5 hours ago, HardAct said:

At one time I had a very impressive collection of consoles and handhelds.

Me too, I’ve pretty much owned every game console and handheld since the Atari 2600. I never owned a Wii, Wii U, Switch, PSP, Vita, or Xbox One, but I’ve owned just about everything else at some point. I sold everything over the years except for my Xbox 360 and PS4. I regret selling most of it now, but my biggest regret is selling my Neo-Geo and my sizable game collection for it.

16 hours ago, HardAct said:

Though this way of thinking makes me sick inside, I can not get this feeling of how great the Steam Deck pro or SD2 is going to be.

I am REALLY REALLY enjoying this thing. Today I put in a strait 3 hours and I just have not been gaming like that lately! I have an AMAZING Library for it too now { I'm sure most here that see themselves as gamers already having a substantial Steam Library to start out with do too } After I factory reset it to iron out some early issues and have now a better understanding of the Pros & Cons and have set it up to my control needs it's been a pretty flawless experience overall. I have run into a good handful of games that just weren't a good fit yea, but have a library of games between the internal 512 and added 1Tb drive of 53 games and still leaving 350ish gig free.

How is this related to PS4?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

How do you have time to play all those games?!?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I think he is retired.

Yeah, I’m retired. But even so, I still won’t be able to play everything that I have. There’s only so much time in a day, and gaming isn’t all that I do.

• Like 1

Artboard-1.jpg
GAMELUSTER.COM

A high-profile case is ongoing in Brazil, as Microsoft attempts to defend its Activision Blizzard acquisition from CADE, the Brazilian competition authority.…

About 2/3’s of what the 360 did.

Rough start to the gen, but this was probably inevitable after putting everything day and date on PC.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:
Artboard-1.jpg
GAMELUSTER.COM

A high-profile case is ongoing in Brazil, as Microsoft attempts to defend its Activision Blizzard acquisition from CADE, the Brazilian competition authority.…

Rough start to the gen, but this was probably inevitable after putting everything day and date on PC.

Last generation and this generation turned out so different. Series X is killing it in both sales and messaging. Even with a bad 2022 for delays, im extremely excited for the future of xbox for the first time since the early 360 era. 

Sony otoh, really seems to be trying to turn fans against it. Is Don Mattrick running Sony from the shadows?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Last generation and this generation turned out so different. Series X is killing it in both sales and messaging. Even with a bad 2022 for delays, im extremely excited for the future of xbox for the first time since the early 360 era. 

Sony otoh, really seems to be trying to turn fans against it. Is Don Mattrick running Sony from the shadows?

How does the PS5 compare to its rival Xbox Series X console? Well, as with the last generation of gaming, Sony is leaving Microsoft in the dust. The PlayStation 5 currently has lifetime sales of 21.61 million, while the Xbox Series X/S has lifetime sales of 15.98 million.

PS5-Logo.jpg
WWW.ANDROIDAUTHORITY.COM

Despite supply constraints, the PlayStation 5 has been a massive success for Sony. Here's a breakdown of how many PS5s have been sold.

44 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
PS5-Logo.jpg
WWW.ANDROIDAUTHORITY.COM

Despite supply constraints, the PlayStation 5 has been a massive success for Sony. Here's a breakdown of how many PS5s have been sold.

21.6 to 16m, with series x outselling sony recently, including in Japan, and gamepass on pc. You're telling half the story with that article. 

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

21.6 to 16m, with series x outselling sony recently, including in Japan, and gamepass on pc. You're telling half the story with that article. 

The figures don't mean that Sony is losing its foothold in the region, as lifetime sales show a reasonably healthy uptake of the PS5 in Japan. Since launch, Famitsu reports that the PS5 has sold a massive 1.69 million consoles, while the Xbox Series has sold just 232,000 units – a marked difference.

xbox-series-xs-broll-1656083948065.jpg?w
WWW.IGN.COM

Xbox Series X/S has outsold the PS5 in Japan for the second time since the consoles launched.

Sony doesn't have anything to worry about.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.IGN.COM

Xbox Series X/S has outsold the PS5 in Japan for the second time since the consoles launched.

Yes they do.  The console market is being crushed under Nintendo’s heel there.

In Japan, Sony is currently playing for table scraps.  Microsoft is only there because they feel obligated to throw their hat in the ring.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

There’s no mishaps close to that this gen, or even the $599 PS3 days.

The Xbox One showed the reliance of Microsoft’s brand in spite of serious failures out of the gate.  Not even that led to it being a Wii U of a flop.

Playstation is much of the same.  Heck they survived $599.  Neither Sony or Microsoft have had the rug pulled out from underneath them, except for PS3 in Japan perhaps.

3 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.IGN.COM

Yes they do, big early sales mean nothing. People spend less on games because of gamepass, and its hurting Sony. Xbox bought some of the best publishers in the world. Sony isn't going anywhere this gen, but their dominance in the market is over, they can't compete with ms. If they were smart, they'd welcome gamepass and ask for a cut.

12 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Yes they do, big early sales mean nothing. People spend less on games because of gamepass, and its hurting Sony. Xbox bought some of the best publishers in the world. Sony isn't going anywhere this gen, but their dominance in the market is over, they can't compete with ms. If they were smart, they'd welcome gamepass and ask for a cut.

Welcoming Games Pass would cannibalize revenue of their own subscription services. As long a they’ve got the choice to keep MS out, they will.

Long term, MS has changed the rules of engagement.  But let’s not forget that the best selling console of the last generation was built on games that seldom ever sold below $40 on sale.

I’m convinced most people will continue to pay full price at launch (and beyond) for AAA games that aren’t available any other way.  Everyone will continue to buy their GTAs, Final Fantasys and Elden Rings.  And no doubt, Sony properties too.

Microsoft went all in.  It’s their way to fight back to the top.  But we aren’t going to see God of War 2 selling less this year because of it.  I think the pricing strategies of the boxes themselves will play more into who ‘wins’ this gen this time.

11 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Welcoming Games Pass would cannibalize revenue of their own subscription services. As long a they’ve got the choice to keep MS out, they will.

Long term, MS has changed the rules of engagement.  But let’s not forget that the best selling console of the last generation was built on games that seldom ever sold below $40 on sale.

I’m convinced most people will continue to pay full price at launch (and beyond) for AAA games that aren’t available any other way.  Everyone will continue to buy their GTAs, Final Fantasys and Elden Rings.  And no doubt, Sony properties too.

Microsoft went all in.  It’s their way to fight back to the top.  But we aren’t going to see God of War 2 selling less this year because of it.  I think the pricing strategies of the boxes themselves will play more into who ‘wins’ this gen this time.

Sony first party is already selling less though. They expected far better sales out of TLoU2. HFW sales have reportedly been slower than the first. Im not saying that is specifically because of xbox, but they definitely seem to be losing some sway over the market.

I also think AB games free on gamepass will cause a rush for xbox. 

Like I said, I'm in no way saying Sony will disappear, they are still in a good place, but raising game prices while your competitor "gives" them away was a bad move (even though I realize inflation would have caused that anyway), and now theres talk of raising console prices, which MS can afford not to do.  Game sales are dropping back to pre-pandemic levels. There are plenty of problems for Sony.

That said, Sony makes some of the greatest games in the world, and ill always be there for those games. It just feels a bit like a family owned department store competing with Walmart. They have the products, but not the prices. If GP delivers most of what is expected next year, it's going to be a closer race than Sony Pony's ever expected (me, im one of the sony pony's who never expected it). 

Sony first party is already selling less though. They expected far better sales out of TLoU2. HFW sales have reportedly been slower than the first. Im not saying that is specifically because of xbox, but they definitely seem to be losing some sway over the market.

Can you back up that TLOU2 claim?  It sold quicker out of the gate than the first.  Only 10 million vs 17 million LTD, but that's including the first's (first) remaster, and all those extra years of sales it had at the bargain bin.

Horizon FW wouldn't surprise me... but mainly because of Elden Ring.

I also think AB games free on gamepass will cause a rush for xbox. 

Like I said, I'm in no way saying Sony will disappear, they are still in a good place, but raising game prices while your competitor "gives" them away was a bad move (even though I realize inflation would have caused that anyway), and now theres talk of raising console prices, which MS can afford not to do.  Game sales are dropping back to pre-pandemic levels. There are plenty of problems for Sony.

If all this was of significant consequence this gen for the mainstream gamer, demand for PS5 would wane substantially.  Sony's position would be closest to Nintendo's with the N64: higher game prices, smaller library, less incentives.  If history repeated itself, they'd be selling 1/3rd of their competitor, not even 1/2 as the Xbox One did.

Given the demand today, I don't foresee it playing out in that manner.  I also don't think MS is willing to take the competitive moves needed to kick Sony down that hard (ie: keeping CoD off PS5 altogether).

There's also the question of how much Sony's playbook is actually hurting them.  It's not as consumer friendly to delay release of their first party releases on PS Extra/Premium and PC.  But if console or game sales on PS5 don't slow much as a result, they get to have their cake and eat it too.

That said, Sony makes some of the greatest games in the world, and ill always be there for those games. It just feels a bit like a family owned department store competing with Walmart. They have the products, but not the prices. If GP delivers most of what is expected next year, it's going to be a closer race than Sony Pony's ever expected (me, im one of the sony pony's who never expected it). 

PS Extra/Premium are priced cheaper than Games Pass Ultimate though.  And the biggest difference between them is the products.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:29 AM, crispy4000 said:
Artboard-1.jpg
GAMELUSTER.COM

Not really surprising. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot HARD with the Xbox One launch, and never really recovered.

2 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Not really surprising. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot HARD with the Xbox One launch, and never really recovered.

I mean, they absolutely recovered. Gamepass is growing like crazy, and they bought two of the most important publishers in gaming. They definitely had problems this year with delays, but Microsoft has an absolutely incredible pipeline. They are getting all of the press love now, which was unheard of two years ago. 

I honestly think people are too bullish on Sony's future.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Can you back up that TLOU2 claim?  It sold quicker out of the gate than the first.  Only 10 million vs 17 million LTD, but that's including the first's (first) remaster, and all those extra years of sales it had at the bargain bin.

Horizon FW wouldn't surprise me... but mainly because of Elden Ring.

If all this was of significant consequence this gen for the mainstream gamer, demand for PS5 would wane substantially.  Sony's position would be closest to Nintendo's with the N64: higher game prices, smaller library, less incentives.  If history repeated itself, they'd be selling 1/3rd of their competitor, not even 1/2 as the Xbox One did.

Given the demand today, I don't foresee it playing out in that manner.  I also don't think MS is willing to take the competitive moves needed to kick Sony down that hard (ie: keeping CoD off PS5 altogether).

There's also the question of how much Sony's playbook is actually hurting them.  It's not as consumer friendly to delay release of their first party releases on PS Extra/Premium and PC.  But if console or game sales on PS5 don't slow much as a result, they get to have their cake and eat it too.

PS Extra/Premium are priced cheaper than Games Pass Ultimate though.  And the biggest difference between them is the products.

PS Premium has nothing on GP, imo.  I have them both. Day and date first party is incredible, and I think people are underestimating how big 23 will be for MS.

54 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

PS Premium has nothing on GP, imo.  I have them both. Day and date first party is incredible, and I think people are underestimating how big 23 will be for MS.

This could be my own shifting perspective, but as someone who’s mostly stopped buying games when they come out, day and date is overrated.  Waiting a year to play a game typically won’t make you enjoy it any less.  In fact, it’s often the optimal way to experience a game, after all the performance, content and balance patches.

It’s still a strong bullet point for comparison for MS.  I won’t take that away from it.  But as someone just finding a PS5 now, the PS5 back catalog on the Extra tier might as well be brand new games.  The later in the gen someone jumps in, the more that rings true.

I’m still too cheap to subscribe though.  Going to wait for Black Friday to try Returnal, MM, etc.  If Sony or Microsoft 1st party games ever start holding their price like Nintendo's, I could change my tune.  Last gen, they fell like bricks.

I don't think that you can really compare the sales of this current generation to each other or to previous generations, at least not until you can reliably buy a console. We're coming up on two full years of these consoles' life cycles, and they've been consistently out of stock the entire time. When both consoles are supply limited, it's rather impossible to know what the relative demand for them is.

I think the only thing that can be said for sure is that neither one is a failure.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, they absolutely recovered. Gamepass is growing like crazy, and they bought two of the most important publishers in gaming. They definitely had problems this year with delays, but Microsoft has an absolutely incredible pipeline. They are getting all of the press love now, which was unheard of two years ago. 

I honestly think people are too bullish on Sony's future.

I meant the XBone never really recovered. Yeah, Microsoft is doing better, but they weren't doing so well in the Xbone days. 

41 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't think that you can really compare the sales of this current generation to each other or to previous generations, at least not until you can reliably buy a console. We're coming up on two full years of these consoles' life cycles, and they've been consistently out of stock the entire time. When both consoles are supply limited, it's rather impossible to know what the relative demand for them is.

I think the only thing that can be said for sure is that neither one is a failure.

Hasn't the series S been pretty easy to get for a while now?