Sony is no longer reporting PS4 shipments which means the final total for the console is ~117.2 million as of March 2022.

Brian

24 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Hasn't the series S been pretty easy to get for a while now?

Yes, the S has been available, but it occupies a new and potentially different place in the market than most consoles. The fact that the Series X remains elusive means that Series S availability doesn't entirely fulfill demand for the Series X. For myself, if I wanted an X, I wouldn't buy an S. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Yes, the S has been available, but it occupies a new and potentially different place in the market than most consoles. The fact that the Series X remains elusive means that Series S availability doesn't entirely fulfill demand for the Series X. For myself, if I wanted an X, I wouldn't buy an S. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

I think Series X  comes back into stock more often than PS5. I was able to get a SEX back in March pretty easily. In fact the consoles were stocked on Amazon for longer than a day (which was impressive at the time)

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think Series X  comes back into stock more often than PS5. I was able to get a SEX back in March pretty easily. In fact the consoles were stocked on Amazon for longer than a day (which was impressive at the time)

I haven't tried to get an Xbox, but I think you're right that it's been slightly easier to get than a PS5.

VGChartz (a questionable source, but better than nothing) thinks the PS5 has outsold the X|S by about 5 million units to date. That scans with my overall impression of the market (that the PS5 is ~25% more popular), but I still don't think we have a complete picture given neither console can satisfy demand. I think it's plausible that the PS5 could have sold double what the Xbox is selling, but I also think it's plausible that the Xbox could be a bit closer if supply were not an issue.

Overall my point is that with supply continuing to be so limited, we can't get a great sense of their relative demand. We have a ballpark, and I'd be surprised if the Xbox would have outsold the PS5, but the real gap in demand remains a question mark.