I've been in the hospital for the past week.

Remarkableriots

I hurt my big toe back in March and had it checked out in April. The wound on the bottom of my toe just wouldn't heal. The wound got infected about two weeks ago. I went to the emergency room last Monday because I couldn't deal with the pain. The pain went from my foot up to my knee.

I had the choice of missing 4-6 months of work hoping antibiotics would get rid of the infection or to get my toe amputated. I ended up getting the toe amputated because I didn't want the infection to spread and the Dr said it was the better option.

Between medical bills, medication and having to miss about a month of work I just don't know what I'm going to do. I'm just depressed stuck in the hospital.

I found out I'm diabetic so I need to change my diet. Which is probably what caused the problem to begin with.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 3

Diabetes isn’t anything to mess around with. Been diabetic since childhood, but in my early 30s started to have control issues. Got a new doc, made some changes to my eating habits, and now I’m the healthiest I’ve been in over 20 years.

I would definitely recommend getting a continuous glucose monitor. I use the Freestyle Libre 14 day sensor. Without insurance it clocks in about $75 per sensor (which last 14 days). So much more useful than finger stick testing.

FA32-C704-17-E6-4-D10-95-E3-76-CD0-A3-F1-B7-D

For example, you can see the average glucose over 7, 14, 30, and 90 days, broken down by time of day. Will be helpful in shaping your eating habits.

You also get graphs that show the direction of your blood sugar so you can tell if you need more medication or more physical activity if you are going up, which finger sticks don’t help with.

Very sorry to hear. Definitely check into any and all options for financial help when the bills start coming. 10-15 years ago we had some hospital bills that were covered after we provided proof of income since at the time we were under a certain threshold. The back of the bills usually have a paragraph about it.

46 minutes ago, Rachel said:

That sucks so much I’m sorry. Have you asked your hospital for help with bills? Sometimes if you are low income they can offer some kind of help. My hospital stay last year was $10,000 but I got most of it covered due to being poor and a special program my state has. It’s worth looking into. Stay strong things will get better. 

I checked into that but I make too much for financial help. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

I’ve considered getting one of these but I don’t know much about it. Does it hurt? My A1C is always 5.6 or 5.7 anyway without it and I only finger stick a few times a day at this point cause I’ve gotten pretty used to what foods do what to me. 

Doesn’t hurt at all. I usually wear one every 6 weeks or so just to check in on myself, or when I know being busy will lend itself to worse food habits. But my a1c has been solidly sub 6 for the last 3 years so I don’t worry about my sugars much. Like you, I have a good grasp of what does what to me at this point.

8 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I’m curious to try it. I just worry it might make me get super obsessive/stressed having access to my numbers at all times but if I notice it’s negatively affecting my mental health I guess I could always just stop using it lol. But it would be really cool and interesting too to learn more about how different foods affect me in real time and not just 2 hours post-meal. Or what happens when I’m sleeping. 

That’s good it doesn’t hurt. I’m kind of surprised to learn that. 

I think you’ll be fine. Initially, everybody checks their CGM 11 billion times a day because it is really a revolutionary way to see your health. But the novelty wears off relatively quickly and you figure out when you really want/need to know. I think these days when I’m wearing mine I probably only scan it 3-4 times a day. When I wake up, when I got to bed, and sometime in the middle of the day.

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm finally home from the hospital and thank goodness because my back is much better in my own bed.

Funny to read this because one of my gut reactions to your post was that I can imagine how uncomfortable it is and how much your back must hurt. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks one time and the biggest relief really was sleeping in my own bed which is...pretty weird. 

• True 1

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sorry to hear about your health struggles. Diabetes is no joke and you’re gonna have to make some big life changes. Best wishes for you. 

I see diabetic feet frequently. Some ending losing the whole limb. Recently had a fellow with a hole all the way through his foot. It’s rough stuff. 

I also have high blood pressure which they put me on Carvedilol and Amlodipine Besylate. At least I think what those are for.

24 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I was browsing around for medical insurance yesterday because of the costs I'll end up having soon. I've gotten probably 50 calls from these vultures since yesterday saying it looks like you are looking for insurance? 

Have you tried healthcare.gov ? I switched my personal medical insurance to a marketplace plan this year and have been happy with the product. I’m using a PPO plan, but if you are not married to particular providers, an HMO plan may be a better option as they are generally cheaper.

You can also game the system to enroll outside of open enrollment and they 100% do not verify a thing there 😂

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Have you tried healthcare.gov ? I switched my personal medical insurance to a marketplace plan this year and have been happy with the product. I’m using a PPO plan, but if you are not married to particular providers, an HMO plan may be a better option as they are generally cheaper.

You can also game the system to enroll outside of open enrollment and they 100% do not verify a thing there 😂

I'm not even sure how much is reasonable for health insurance? The cheapest i found was $336 a month.

13 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm not even sure how much is reasonable for health insurance? The cheapest i found was $336 a month.

Marketplace plans are subsidized for most people, and based on the job situation you’ve previously described, you likely qualify for a solid reduction in cost. I’m sure there are plans for you under $50/month, but given your needs, expect a good plan for you to be around $100/month.

Make sure that the plan you choose has good prescription drug coverages as that will be your largest cost as a new member in the diabetes family.

My once a week injection costs me about $75/month, and the cash price is closer to $1500/month 😮

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Marketplace plans are subsidized for most people, and based on the job situation you’ve previously described, you likely qualify for a solid reduction in cost. I’m sure there are plans for you under $50/month, but given your needs, expect a good plan for you to be around $100/month.

Make sure that the plan you choose has good prescription drug coverages as that will be your largest cost as a new member in the diabetes family.

My once a week injection costs me about $75/month, and the cash price is closer to $1500/month 😮

Not sure if you're talking about my last job which was minimum wage or my current job i make $17/hr. It goes fast though when my studio rent alone is $1,110 a month.

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Not sure if you're talking about my last job which was minimum wage or my current job i make $17/hr. It goes fast though when my studio rent alone is $1,110 a month.

Yeah, even at 17/hr for a single person you will get very solid subsidies with a marketplace plan. Definitely go through healthcare.gov and they will ask a million questions and then spit out what your monthly assistance will be. That automatically gets applied to your monthly premium and you are billed monthly for the balance.

27 minutes ago, johnny said:

what do diabetes toes look like

can somebody explain it cuz i’m scared of what a picture might look like 

It doesn't look too bad imo. At least it doesn't look as bad as it did before. On the bottom of my toe I had an open wound that wouldn't close and it got infected. 

This is what my big toe looked like before I got it amputated.

Spoiler

Back in April

This was right before it got very infected. It might of been starting to get infected at this point.

23 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Jesus man why didn’t you seek medical help before it became a hole?

12 minutes ago, Rachel said:

i wondered the same. Maybe finances? 

I went to the emergency room back in April and they checked it out. They prescribed some antibiotics that cost $150. I have around $4,000 medical debt just from that visit so i had hoped it would heal.

• Sad 2