I've been in the hospital for the past week.

Remarkableriots

56 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I went to the emergency room back in April and they checked it out. They prescribed some antibiotics that cost $150. I have around $4,000 medical debt just from that visit so i had hoped it would heal.

Did you know that Fannie Mae doesn't require you to pay off medical collections if you are trying to get a mortgage for a 1 unit primary residence? Even though know medical debt is a joke in this country. 

19 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

This is what my big toe looked like before I got it amputated.

Reveal hidden contents

My God. How is walking without a toe?

On 7/11/2022 at 3:00 PM, sblfilms said:

Diabetes isn’t anything to mess around with. Been diabetic since childhood, but in my early 30s started to have control issues. Got a new doc, made some changes to my eating habits, and now I’m the healthiest I’ve been in over 20 years.

I would definitely recommend getting a continuous glucose monitor. I use the Freestyle Libre 14 day sensor. Without insurance it clocks in about $75 per sensor (which last 14 days). So much more useful than finger stick testing.

FA32-C704-17-E6-4-D10-95-E3-76-CD0-A3-F1-B7-D

For example, you can see the average glucose over 7, 14, 30, and 90 days, broken down by time of day. Will be helpful in shaping your eating habits.

You also get graphs that show the direction of your blood sugar so you can tell if you need more medication or more physical activity if you are going up, which finger sticks don’t help with.

The 14 day lifestyle Libre is an awesome device. As someone who hates finger pricks like me, it has been a lifesaver.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Now I have to get x-rays of my right big toe to see how bad it's inside. They will call next week to setup an appointment for that. Might have to get a second amputation.

Good luck man. I did the month long hospital, five months in wheel chair, six surgery thing almost a year ago now and it fucking suckeddddd. Still in a lot of pain also in my foot area so I feel ya. I tried to stay positive throughout the whole thing and I do think it helped. When I didn’t even feel good enough to play video games I found just going on youtube and watching whatever speakers or comedians you find funny to help. I’d wake up in a lot of pain so I’d do that first thing when I woke up. Watched a bunch of old Kevin Smith conferences which had some funny ass stories like the prince one. Then when the pain got down to at least where I could play video games, getting even more into them I think has helped my sanity.

edit: the community here also helped me get through the worst of it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Why are you getting these open wounds? Are you stepping on something? Do you take care of your feet at all? Keep them clean and use moisturizer?

Probably because I'm diabetic which before i didn't know could cause an increase in calluses. I don't believe i stepped on anything. I need to use moisturizer and be more careful with calluses. 

5 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Probably because I'm diabetic which before i didn't know could cause an increase in calluses. I don't believe i stepped on anything. I need to use moisturizer and be more careful with calluses. 

Check your feet daily and take care of them. Wear diabetic shoes/insoles. 

My grandfather had diabetes most of his adult life and died at 87. Hospitalized once for DKA in the 90s and that was it. Managed his condition meticulously. Kept all his extremities, never had any ulcers. He died from pneumonia and was independent until he got sick those last couple months. 

11 minutes ago, Rachel said:

That’s promising to hear. I manage my diabetes really well, my a1c is always 5.6 or 5.7. My newest doctor was confused on if I even really was diabetic or not lol (I definitely am, a1c was 11 when diagnosed a few years ago). I guess I have a pretty manageable case and it was caught early so that helps, and keeping my blood sugar low is important to me. No insulin or injections needed or anything. I still worry something beyond my control could happen but that’s life I guess. 

I take care of diabetic patients every shift I work. And the overwhelming majority of cases are just plain old noncompliance. Folks come in with feet rotting off and glucose levels sky high and they’re ordering pizza and soda for delivery and downing it all. 

This is on a daily basis. It’s really disheartening. 

2 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I can’t imagine not caring like that. You have so much power to prevent/minimize complications. That reminds me of my mom who gets hospitalized with a bowel obstruction every month because she has no concern for her fiber intake and the ways you can avoid blockages. 

I mean, probably half my job is due to noncompliant patients. It does get frustrating to see the same people in with the same problems constantly. Especially when they treat staff like shit. 

Used to have one patient who spent more time in the hospital than she did at home. She wanted the attention because she was a horrible person who had no friends and drove her only son away. Kidney disease and a horrible high output ileostomy. She’d go home and take laxatives to throw her lites out of balance. Literally only stayed away for a few days before she came right back. I hated her. She once threw her shit bag in the floor because I recessed to change it because she was perfectly capable of changing it herself. 

She finally died a few months back and no one was sad. Obituary was 3 lines and she was cremated without services. 

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Hopefully i can get some diabetic shoes/insoles soon but can't afford them atm.

Got to hand it to you. For someone buried in medical debt and facing a possible second toe amputation you take it all in stride. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Got to hand it to you. For someone buried in medical debt and facing a possible second toe amputation you take it all in stride. 

I have to move back home and find a new job. My rent was going up another $200 combined with medication and medical debt I couldn't afford it. I'll be near family so I can get some help. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 3:26 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Now I have to get x-rays of my right big toe to see how bad it's inside. They will call next week to setup an appointment for that. Might have to get a second amputation.

And?  Do you have to get a second amputation? I'm really getting tired of you not following up your threads with these unanswered questions.

Your toe pre-surgery is what mine looked like after wearing Hoka One One shoes, I got this massive toe blister, so I got this blister protector and kept wearing them. It only for worse, when I took off the blisters protector it took my skin off all the way to the tendon or whatever the fuck is under skin leaving a giant hole. I just stopped wearing the Hokas and used gauze pads and it healed. @CastlevaniaNut18 got a blister too but she's smarter and didn't keep wearing them I think. 

9 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Your toe pre-surgery is what mine looked like after wearing Hoka One One shoes, I got this massive toe blister, so I got this blister protector and kept wearing them. It only for worse, when I took off the blisters protector it took my skin off all the way to the tendon or whatever the fuck is under skin leaving a giant hole. I just stopped wearing the Hokas and used gauze pads and it healed. @CastlevaniaNut18 got a blister too but she's smarter and didn't keep wearing them I think. 

No, I still wear mine. Bondi are for my 12 hour work shifts and Clifton for everyday wear. Haven't had any more issues. Love my Hokas.

I also wear my Bondi pair for my workouts after my shifts.

20 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

No, I still wear mine. Bondi are for my 12 hour work shifts and Clifton for everyday wear. Haven't had any more issues. Love my Hokas.

I also wear my Bondi pair for my workouts after my shifts.

Ah interesting! I gave up on them. I tried two different models.

What I've discovered is I need near zero cushion. The flatter and firmer the better. 

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Is that a lancet to check your blood sugar? I’m really not sure what I’m looking at. 

The nurse gave me a bag of them but I have no idea how to use it. I've been using different lancets that were easier to figure out. I just don't want them to go to waste. Trying to figure out how to use them.

7 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

The nurse gave me a bag of them but I have no idea how to use it. I've been using different lancets that were easier to figure out. I just don't want them to go to waste. Trying to figure out how to use them.

Yeah, there are tons of different kinds. I would assume you just pull off the green stick and press that end down on your finger. That’s roughly how they all work. 

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, there are tons of different kinds. I would assume you just pull off the green stick and press that end down on your finger. That’s roughly how they all work. 

Thank you for the help I got it to work. The ones I've been using are more simple kinda. 

s-l500.jpg

I have a lancet device I put these in.