2022 is the year of AA / B-tier Square-Enix

crispy4000

I just finished DQ11 last week and I thought having Erik and his sister in a spin-off game would be fun. Not sure if that's what I was hoping for. They were already young, in DQ11, not sure why they need to be 10 year olds now.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s like the psx days again!

It's kind of wild to think that after the success of FF7, they were working on Xenogears, Brave Fencer Musashi, FF8, FF9, Parasite Eve, Spirits Within, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Legend of Mana, and the beginning stages of FFX all at the same time.

There's an argument to be made that they might have bit off more than they could chew at the time which led to the gradual burn out and talent bleed of the company, but still... What a time.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Naw, I wasn’t counting re-releases.  Otherwise FF6 pixel remaster would be there as well.

Isn't LiveALive technically a re-release? I guess it's "new" to us here in North America...

...still, "B" list or not, this is a good line up of games. I'm not complaining! 

24 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Isn't LiveALive technically a re-release? I guess it's "new" to us here in North America...

They've put enough work into it to differentiate it as another product. Chrono Cross was like an up-rezed version of something that already exists.

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's kind of wild to think that after the success of FF7, they were working on Xenogears, Brave Fencer Musashi, FF8, FF9, Parasite Eve, Spirits Within, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Legend of Mana, and the beginning stages of FFX all at the same time.

There's an argument to be made that they might have bit off more than they could chew at the time which led to the gradual burn out and talent bleed of the company, but still... What a time.

PS3 seemed to have broken square for like a decade. They just had problem after problem, mostly self inflicted, but also with the terrible hardware that still hinders emulation.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:09 PM, stepee said:

It’s like the psx days again!

Honestly it really does feel like the PS1 gen. Can't say I'm mad about it though. Squeenix does their best when they do low-mid budget games in the style of Octopath Traveler. They need to stop with the Stranger in Paradise style stuff though. It's just not their strength.

• Halal 1

On 7/6/2022 at 6:21 PM, Derek said:

I just finished DQ11 last week and I thought having Erik and his sister in a spin-off game would be fun. Not sure if that's what I was hoping for. They were already young, in DQ11, not sure why they need to be 10 year olds now.

Cuz the Japanese are obsessed with pre-pubescent children, for whatever reason.

• True 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, GameDadGrant said:

...still, "B" list or not, this is a good line up of games. I'm not complaining! 

Live A Live is very much a remake as opposed to a remaster - the game is now a fusion of 2D graphics and 3D CG, which is significantly changing most of the game in some ways.

28 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Honestly it really does feel like the PS1 gen. Can't say I'm mad about it though. Squeenix does their best when they do low-mid budget games in the style of Octopath Traveler. They need to stop with the Stranger in Paradise style stuff though. It's just not their strength.

I mean, Square Enix hired Team Ninja, responsible for the excellent Nioh games, to make Stranger of Paradise. Having thoroughly played through Nioh, the game is excellent top to bottom, except for one thing - story. Team Ninja doesn't care that much about story, and that is reflected in all of their games, Stranger of Paradise included. Maybe Square Enix was wrong to hire Team Ninja, but if you wanted a hardcore Dark Souls/Nioh-type game based on Final Fantasy, then other than From Software, Team Ninja is the studio you hire. Square Enix should have done a better job on the story/plot/dialogue side of things since they're the publisher and started the project, but otherwise they made a pretty good call. I haven't played the game myself, but I've heard except for the narrative, the game is pretty good.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, crispy4000 said:

Naw, I wasn’t counting re-releases.  Otherwise FF6 pixel remaster would be there as well.

I agree that you shouldn't count re-releases, ports, or remasters (remakes should count) but not sure then why Crisis Core counts but Chrono Cross and FF 6 Pixel Remaster don't? I love Crisis Core, and I know they are substantially updating the game, but is it a remake? They are changing things, I know the line between remake vs. remaster is sometimes quite clear (Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls) and sometimes not quite as clear, as here. FF7R was definitely a remake, but Crisis Core is essentially the same game it was, story and all, simply re-dubbed, updated resolution and character models (ala FF8 remaster on PC), and slight tweaks and additions to the battle system. So I dunno. :p 

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree that you shouldn't count re-releases, ports, or remasters (remakes should count) but not sure then why Crisis Core counts but Chrono Cross and FF 6 Pixel Remaster don't? I love Crisis Core, and I know they are substantially updating the game, but is it a remake? They are changing things, I know the line between remake vs. remaster is sometimes quite clear (Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls) and sometimes not quite as clear, as here. FF7R was definitely a remake, but Crisis Core is essentially the same game it was, story and all, simply re-dubbed, updated resolution and character models (ala FF8 remaster on PC), and slight tweaks and additions to the battle system. So I dunno. :p 

YzCyuxCgZNrstjq2f2Ns3V-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The surprise remaster is being 'updated' to play more like the modern FF7 trilogy.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

YzCyuxCgZNrstjq2f2Ns3V-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The surprise remaster is being 'updated' to play more like the modern FF7 trilogy.

Yeah, I read that, they're adding in certain things but the DMW randomized slot machine system is also still in place. Perhaps it is a remake, but I go back and forth on it with this game.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, I read that, they're adding in certain things but the DMW randomized slot machine system is also still in place. Perhaps it is a remake, but I go back and forth on it with this game.

I think it's mostly staying true to the story but will be fun to play unlike the original game.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think it's mostly staying true to the story but will be fun to play unlike the original game.

Crisis Core was a great game! It was fun to play, just kind of easy as I remember it. All the changes do sound like improvements though, I still don't understand the slot machine, hoping a replay makes that aspect clearer to me.

• Halal 1