Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

What level are you guys? I leveled up a couple of times before I even set out for the city... I'm around level 9 and I took the cyclops out on the first try with ease. But yeah like @Keyser_Soze You're gonna get ganked because some big ass monster may appear out of nowhere while you're fighting trash mobs. Just run if you can.

I think what the issue is actually, or maybe just me, is that on the way to the capital you don't have a chance to upgrade your vocations. I was level 12 by the time I got to the city, I couldn't tell you what I was before I left, but I would imagine 6 or 7. Being able to upgrade your own and pawn's vocations along with the other 2 pawns that travel with you is a big part of making the game easier and you don't get that chance early on.

Where I'm at now, I just learned like 4 or 5 skills because it took so long to get there so now I'm ready to kick some ass. :p

• Hype 1

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Do you guys know what happens to the stuff your pawns are carrying if they… per chance … fall in a lake or something. Just wondering…

Items get teleported to your storage.

Essentially the same as if you dismiss them without taking their items.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone else posted about this?

I know the developer previously said they didn't include easy fast travel because it defeats the spirit of the game, or some BS. And then...they sell fast travel ability (and other things) through micro-transactions?

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Can your share Pawns across platforms? Also has anyone been out at night in the game yet? There were different enemies at night in the first game. Lastly I can't find the storage in the main town... the one inn there doesn't seem to have storage.

From what I understand they are supposed to be shared cross platform. Though Max was playing it sounded like pre launch it wasn't working because he had to remake his pawns for the consoles.

I've been out at night several times.  So far I'm seeing the same ones at night, just skeletons, zombies and ghosts

In the Capital city, if that's where you're talking about. I think the inventory is with the vocation guy. I might be wrong.

EDIT: He's at the Inn, it's the one at the top of the stairs a dude with muttonchops and a hat is the innkeeper.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

No. No one has posted or discussed it at all ITT.

- Yes it was posted and like I said earlier, it's trolls.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I know the developer previously said they didn't include easy fast travel because it defeats the spirit of the game, or some BS. And then...they sell fast travel ability (and other things) through micro-transactions?

Discussed earlier. The designers of the game legitimately feel fast travel is not needed. This I’m sure was not their decision. 

Also Jez Cordon later tweeted that Capcom DID inform reviewers in the review materials that these microtransactions would be in the game... he just didn't bother to read the material :| Gaming "Journalism" at its finest. I would post the actual tweet here but it's from the banned site.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, AlwaysDyingX said:

I think I have most of you on PC, Im AlwaysDyingX on there. I look forward to hiring your pawns!  Im trying to muster up the energy to turn the game on but putting down my dog yesterday has really got me fucked up.  

Sorry bro. Animals are family and I’m truly sorry for your loss. 

• Hugs 1

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think they want gamers to play the game they intended. But if they didn’t offer some type of fast travel/instant gratification/hurry thru the game/streamer mode people would complain and bitch about that.  

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well my game froze after I created my pawn. I slept in the inn and then it froze. So I load it back up and I'm in the prison cell. So I have to start all over. :|

Plus, the loading on PS5 is absolutely awful!

That is surprising. PS5 usually has great load times. Wonder if they can patch it?

Did any of you sleep at an Inn yet? First time for me very cool. Your pawn is there in the morning and gives you a rundown of all the people they were with and all the items they got. Mine was with like 5 people and getting good ratings. :daydream:

Then I went into the rift so I could get some new pawns. The search wasn't working last night but it is now. Very cool how after you search, instead of looking at a list all the pawns you filtered appear there instead.

Oh and I got the ensnare skill and that is great against small enemies. You basically turn into Scorpition, throw out a rope and say, "get over here!" then they fly to you and you can just do your heavy stab and finish them off on the ground.

:sickos:

14 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Wonder if Series X was the better way to go?

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

PS5 is still the best option. 

I posted the DF video. They said the Series X has a slightly better frame rate but the checkerboard upscaling is bugged so until it's fixed, visually PS5 will look better.

Until Capcom runs some optimizations though it's hard to put one over the other since the main town drops the frame rate so much. :p

In terms of load times. I couldn't tell you.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I posted the DF video. They said the Series X has a slightly better frame rate but the checkerboard upscaling is bugged so until it's fixed, visually PS5 will look better.

Until Capcom runs some optimizations though it's hard to put one over the other since the main town drops the frame rate so much. :p

In terms of load times. I couldn't tell you.

I haven't had any framerate drops in the main town but what I HAVE had is people just materializing in front of me out of thin air as I move through the town. That happens quite a bit. But honestly aside from a couple of cinematics, I haven't noticed any framerate dips or long load times... playing on the series X.

• True 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also Jez Cordon later tweeted that Capcom DID inform reviewers in the review materials that these microtransactions would be in the game... he just didn't bother to read the material :| Gaming "Journalism" at its finest. I would post the actual tweet here but it's from the banned site.

yeah makes you wonder what the point of them is when the bury the bad, because they dont want to hurt something they like. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah makes you wonder what the point of them is when the bury the bad, because they dont want to hurt something they like. 

This sounds more like pure incompetence... he said that Capcom put the microtransaction info in the review materials but he didn't open that because he didn't want to be spoiled on anything in the game and he didn't want to be subconsciously influenced. HOWEVER, another reviewer pointed out to him that Capcom sent all reviewers a seperate PDF labled "PAID DLC" that detailed the microtransactions and that the info wasn't in the review materials. Cordon and other reviewers didn't bother to read ANY of this stuff and thena cted all surprised and butt hurt when Capcom "tried to pull a fast one" :|

Anyway, I met the Minotaur someone mentioned earlier... he joined in as I was already fighting a group of goblins and Saurians and wiped my whole party out :p Do these different monsters attack each other? I fought the griffin a couple of times but it runs whenever you hurt it too badly. It can't deal with fire attacks.

This is really bad guys. My game keeps freezing at the same location after you rest and create your pawn. Any recommendations?

I can move the camera but can't do anything else. Help!

Edit: Never mind. Its my connection. After I slept its trying to connect to the server and everything is frozen until it connects. Thank God. 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This is really bad guys. My game keeps freezing at the same location after you rest and create your pawn. Any recommendations?

Edit: Never mind. Its my connection. After I slept its trying to connect to the server and everything is frozen until it connects. Thank God. 

Is this a always connected online game?

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Anyway, I met the Minotaur someone mentioned earlier... he joined in as I was already fighting a group of goblins and Saurians and wiped my whole party out :p

yeah that’s them. 

I finally killed that minotaur, but just barely it felt like. I had to use a wake stone and my three pawns were always in the red on health. They were getting downed so much. 

a few vocation weapon skills later and these kinds of fights are easier. My group now also has two mages, including myself. I am also constantly upgrading my main pawn’s gear rather than my own because I need him to be able to take and deliver a beating. lol 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea because of pawns. I need to get something to fix my connection. I keep losing it. 

I kept losing connection to all my devices when I arrived home today. Unplugged and reset everything and it’s super fast now. Maybe try that?

Digital Foundry text article to accompany the video analysis posted above:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Oliver Mackenzie and Alex Battaglia cover Dragon's Dogma 2 on all consoles (PS5, Series X, Series S) and PC. How does t…

On a technical level though, there's a lot to appreciate here - despite some key areas that could use improvement. The visuals on high-end machines like PC, PS5 and Series X often look brilliant, with beautiful RTGI that hopefully represents what we can expect from the RE Engine in future titles. Series S is less appealing, without RT of any kind and suffering from low-res shadows. Series S and X have totally broken checkerboarding too, with a very messy resolve. All console platforms and PC also suffer from heavily CPU-bound performance in some areas, with consoles also offering an unlocked frame-rate that gives them an unstable feel even at the best of times.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is a great graphical achievement then, but unfortunately it's let down by some configuration issues on the consoles and heavily CPU-bound performance on all platforms. There's a lot to appreciate visually and its gameplay credentials have been rightly lauded, but equally there are clear areas for improvement post-release.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: "a brilliant game in need of technical improvements" (Digital Foundry review)

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

it is the kind of thing that throws suspension of disbelief out of the way all of a sudden too, as that is just untenable for a civilization to survive at all if the world is this savage and inhospitable in its density of perils.  Especially when the story so far isn’t “man, there are more creatures than ever by a significant magnitude, please help”.  

It's mentioned near the very beginning by multiple NPCs that all the monsters have started going nuts since the dragon showed up, even the land itself is doing weird shit as you see early on. This isn't how the people usually live.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Like I said, it's not a new thing for Capcom. They did it for DMC5. You can buy red or blue orbs and everything in between. It's just stuff you could get from playing the game normally. You don't have to pay for it at all, it doesn't hurt anyone by being there. And if some guy wants to pay money to get a wakestone instead of finding it in the world then more power to them.

You guys. Not everyone plays every video game. Not everyone bought DMC5 half a decade ago. This game is massively more popular if the numbers are anything to go by, so you're gonna have a lot of people whose first impression of Capcom is both terrible optimization and "sneaking" in pay-to-win DLC after launch. Whether they informed their corporate shills writing reviews beforehand is going to be irrelevant, because most people don't like reviewers anymore either. It's not trolls, as someone said, it's people who don't like microtransactions. Which is still a lot of people, turns out. You can say they can "deal with it," but Capcom is the one dealing with it. So it seems to me like the "trolls" have the upper hand in the conversation. Because I already know dozens of people who won't even touch the game because of the mostly negative rating. That shit is an instant red flag.

Whether this is good or bad? Well, it's neither, it is what it is. The idea of a bunch of randos having so much "power" over a corporation can be annoying at times, like if there's a 8/10 instead of a 10/10 woman in the game and they lose their minds. At the same time, Capcom has no one to blame but themselves for poor optimization and trying to sell the thing they said they intentionally didn't add to the game. I don't care what your response is, "it's against our design philosophy to add too much fast travel, also please purchase our fast travel" is bad optics. No one gives a shit if corporate forced them. If corporate can completely supersede a core design tenet of your game, how about instead of talking you just go sit in the corner and let corporate do all the talking.

As for me personally, I don't care too much about the microtransactions. I can cheat engine myself anything I want and I've really never given a shit about a developer's "vision" for a game if it gets in the way of my playing it. So whatever, add microtransactions for every piece of gear in the game if you like, who cares?

The part I care about is the optimization. With the game running so poorly, or rather, so inconsistently, it should've been delayed a bit until a fix was prepared. And I'm probably having the best possible performance out of 99% of gamers right now as my lows are in the mid 70s in the most populated city. That said... it doesn't quite feel like 70. In fact, the feel of FPS anytime I'm near a town or settlement is much lower than what is actually reported. Unfortunately I can't get RTSS to display its overlay, so I can only use a simple FPS counter. I've never quite experienced whatever is happening in this game before. Even if I'm getting 110 FPS in Melve, the camera will judder and feel bad just slowly spinning it.

A completely uneducated guess is that the engine has some kind of limit on CPU-based instructions? Like let's use arbitrary units. 1 NPC walking around town consumes 10 CPU units. The engine is limited to 500 CPU units. But in towns, it's trying to utilize 750 CPU units, but it can't, so it's like despawning stuff to get under 500, and succeeds, then renders the new NPC, but because something is fucky somewhere, the thing it erased is immediately like "HEY WHAT ABOUT ME" and it has to repeat the process infinitely which causes it to feel hitchy and strange in town.

As I said, a completely uneducated guess, no idea what the fuck is actually going on. I only base that guess on the fact that NPCs sometimes fade in startlingly close to the player, and the fact that my CPU usage/temperature/etc is not maxing out, which one would expect if the game was pushing a CPU to its limits, no? But it's also clearly CPU limited, but it's like... artificially CPU limited?

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think what the issue is actually, or maybe just me, is that on the way to the capital you don't have a chance to upgrade your vocations. I was level 12 by the time I got to the city, I couldn't tell you what I was before I left, but I would imagine 6 or 7. Being able to upgrade your own and pawn's vocations along with the other 2 pawns that travel with you is a big part of making the game easier and you don't get that chance early on.

Where I'm at now, I just learned like 4 or 5 skills because it took so long to get there so now I'm ready to kick some ass. :p

What? You can upgrade your vocation at the very first in at Melve.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

You can disable the connection in the options menu until you get it sorted out.

• Halal 2

29 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yes, I turned off online and it made all the difference.

@Biggie It wasn't loading issues I was having. My game kept trying to connect hence everything being slow. 

Also, the framerate is COMPLETELY fine even in a city. So I'm confused on the criticisms there.

This game is fuckin awesome.

@Keyser_Soze Remember in part 1 when you were at a inn that is where you learned new abilities etc? That's not the case here so where do you do that?

48 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It's mentioned near the very beginning by multiple NPCs that all the monsters have started going nuts since the dragon showed up, even the land itself is doing weird shit as you see early on. This isn't how the people usually live.

You guys. Not everyone plays every video game. Not everyone bought DMC5 half a decade ago. This game is massively more popular if the numbers are anything to go by, so you're gonna have a lot of people whose first impression of Capcom is both terrible optimization and "sneaking" in pay-to-win DLC after launch. Whether they informed their corporate shills writing reviews beforehand is going to be irrelevant, because most people don't like reviewers anymore either. It's not trolls, as someone said, it's people who don't like microtransactions. Which is still a lot of people, turns out. You can say they can "deal with it," but Capcom is the one dealing with it. So it seems to me like the "trolls" have the upper hand in the conversation. Because I already know dozens of people who won't even touch the game because of the mostly negative rating. That shit is an instant red flag.

Whether this is good or bad? Well, it's neither, it is what it is. The idea of a bunch of randos having so much "power" over a corporation can be annoying at times, like if there's a 8/10 instead of a 10/10 woman in the game and they lose their minds. At the same time, Capcom has no one to blame but themselves for poor optimization and trying to sell the thing they said they intentionally didn't add to the game. I don't care what your response is, "it's against our design philosophy to add too much fast travel, also please purchase our fast travel" is bad optics. No one gives a shit if corporate forced them. If corporate can completely supersede a core design tenet of your game, how about instead of talking you just go sit in the corner and let corporate do all the talking.

As for me personally, I don't care too much about the microtransactions. I can cheat engine myself anything I want and I've really never given a shit about a developer's "vision" for a game if it gets in the way of my playing it. So whatever, add microtransactions for every piece of gear in the game if you like, who cares?

The part I care about is the optimization. With the game running so poorly, or rather, so inconsistently, it should've been delayed a bit until a fix was prepared. And I'm probably having the best possible performance out of 99% of gamers right now as my lows are in the mid 70s in the most populated city. That said... it doesn't quite feel like 70. In fact, the feel of FPS anytime I'm near a town or settlement is much lower than what is actually reported. Unfortunately I can't get RTSS to display its overlay, so I can only use a simple FPS counter. I've never quite experienced whatever is happening in this game before. Even if I'm getting 110 FPS in Melve, the camera will judder and feel bad just slowly spinning it.

A completely uneducated guess is that the engine has some kind of limit on CPU-based instructions? Like let's use arbitrary units. 1 NPC walking around town consumes 10 CPU units. The engine is limited to 500 CPU units. But in towns, it's trying to utilize 750 CPU units, but it can't, so it's like despawning stuff to get under 500, and succeeds, then renders the new NPC, but because something is fucky somewhere, the thing it erased is immediately like "HEY WHAT ABOUT ME" and it has to repeat the process infinitely which causes it to feel hitchy and strange in town.

As I said, a completely uneducated guess, no idea what the fuck is actually going on. I only base that guess on the fact that NPCs sometimes fade in startlingly close to the player, and the fact that my CPU usage/temperature/etc is not maxing out, which one would expect if the game was pushing a CPU to its limits, no? But it's also clearly CPU limited, but it's like... artificially CPU limited?

s008j9ibbfpx.jpg

• True 1

51 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You 4080 right? Have you tried the frame gen mod? Still judder?