Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

Okay, here's a REAL PSA:

To unlock at least two of the advanced classes, the vocation guy will tell you they're all out of those weapons, and won't be getting any of those weapons in because of goblins or whatever. So if you want to register as those vocations, you need to find your own weapon.

Simple enough, right?

Well, I found a town that sold a very nice version of one of those weapons and bought it. But when I went to turn it in, you GIVE the dude the weapon, and then they start you off with a little bitch version of that weapon archetype.

In other words, you're surrendering a weapon to get a likely much worse weapon that the dude claimed to not have. Seems like some wires got crossed in the quest design because it makes no fucking sense.

Luckily, this is an instance where "return to last inn save" came in handy, as I used the inn at said city that sold the weapon, and was able to purchase a dirt cheap version of the needed weapon. C'mon Capcom, get your shit together.

• Thanks 1

Some very initial thoughts.

• Movement is chunky. Maybe "realistic". I'd prefer something a tad more immediately responsive but it still feels good to control.
  • I miss having the Strider vocation. It was very cool having ranged and melee. I dislike having to rely on Pawns for flyers. At least early on. Should there be a melee-focused vocation with a ranged component that will be what I switch to. RIP Magick Archer.
  • Days feel a bit short. Don't remember how long days were in the old game.
  • Pawns are a bit dumb. I've had two already brine themselves.
  • Daggers are still giga fun to use. Having two gap closers is nice.
  • I have already gotten used to the frame rate, but I can still feel the lack of smoothness.
  • Game looks alright, but like kinda dull. Stuff kinda bends together. It isn't blurry, but like I feel like I want reshade on or something.
  • Got a mask for my character's face already which is cool.
  • So far, it feels more like a remake than a sequel.

• Sicko 1
  • Hugs 1

I've never died until I got Concussive Step tho. These be the dangers of trying to go out of bounds and jumping from unreasonably high places thinking plunging my daggers into a goblin will break my fall.

Man, this game is kind of kicking ass. A lot of the areas you can explore are genuinely beautiful in that sort of low-fantasy-high-fidelity way. Just a real nice sun-dappled grove as the sun sets with some glowing mushrooms. As much as the raytracing can kinda look funky with certain elements, it really shines in these areas.

Beyond that, I've loved that I'm just following whatever kind of interesting thing happens without even caring about progressing the plot. Some elven dude standing there eyeballing human made bows? Sure I'll buy him one. And that instigates an on-and-off series of little quests that just culminated now, hours later, with a big fight where I had to get creative, because I had less than half max HP but it always also time sensitive, so no time to rest at an inn. I made a save directly before the boss fight, but because you lose a bit more HP each time you reload your save, by the time I had worked out a proper plan, I could barely take a single hit!

But I still managed to pull through and win the fight, which was awesome. The combat feels so good. It's one of the few games where you can be a sword and shield character and you're free to just continually swing forever without it stopping for some kind of minor recovery animation or having to deal with a combo, which in a way kind of also functions like a recovery. The ability to just keep swinging like that, while still having freedom of motion, makes the combat feel much more mobile and frenetic. And because I'm getting more used to my abilities, when a harpy showed up out of nowhere I was able to use my skyward strike to jump to its exact position and bring it down in a single stroke. Was fucking awesome.

The visuals plus the stillness in the soundscape during non-combat (rarely much music, for example) creates this ebb and flow between tranquility and bursts of energy that is really satisfying, and keeps me from becoming exhausted from constant combat. The first game, especially at night, was just NONSTOP combat in the open world. There's plenty of combat to be had here, but the quiet moments between where you're looking for treasure and collectibles (both well hidden, involving lots of minor puzzle solving/platforming, which I adore) really makes the whole package. The pawns are more chatty in a good way, sometimes noticing things I missed. If they suggest something, you can tap up on the D-Pad ("Go!") and they'll try to actively enact their suggestion, whether they want to try something in combat or want to blow up a destructible wall. They catch you if you fall, they help you when you run out of stamina (same as the first game), they bring downed pawns back to you, the wait command prevents them from drowning themselves, though I've only had that happen once as one tried to follow me into deep water, etc.

Then there's little things, like being able to pick up or push/pull so many enemies, which is a legit strategy that can sometimes be more effective than outright attacking, as they can't fight back while you hold them. The fact that enemies' eyes are just tiny glowing dots reflecting your torchlight is both spooky and cool as fuck in a way I don't think I've seen in a game yet. Plenty of games have monsters with literally glowing eyes, but here, it feels much more believable as a reflection of light and they're so small that it doesn't feel like something done to be dramatic, just to be accurate and help you keep track of enemies in the dark. Plus it just looks cool as hell.

The first game never quite clicked with me, but this is beginning to click with me quite hard. Here's hoping it continues to be great!

• Thanks 1

Two big tips:

1. When your health bar is empty, you can still use a health recovery item. If you don't use one in a second or two, you die. So just because your health is empty, that doesn't mean you're dead!

2. Lots of big enemies can fall prey to environmental stuff. Cliffs, waterfalls, boulders, etc. Even if the "arena" isn't clearly designed around it. It's just something you can trigger, so keep an eye out if a monster is giving you trouble.

EDIT: Also, you can stand on enemies! You don't just annoyingly slide off! So if you run out of stamina but don't want to have to jump off from atop an enemy, you can position yourself to stand and recover stamina!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Okay, here's a REAL PSA:

To unlock at least two of the advanced classes, the vocation guy will tell you they're all out of those weapons, and won't be getting any of those weapons in because of goblins or whatever. So if you want to register as those vocations, you need to find your own weapon.

Simple enough, right?

Well, I found a town that sold a very nice version of one of those weapons and bought it. But when I went to turn it in, you GIVE the dude the weapon, and then they start you off with a little bitch version of that weapon archetype.

In other words, you're surrendering a weapon to get a likely much worse weapon that the dude claimed to not have. Seems like some wires got crossed in the quest design because it makes no fucking sense.

Luckily, this is an instance where "return to last inn save" came in handy, as I used the inn at said city that sold the weapon, and was able to purchase a dirt cheap version of the needed weapon. C'mon Capcom, get your shit together.

Sounds like user error to me.

If you do the quest correctly, you go to the cave with the goblins and in that cave are the weapons and they are crappy weapons, and you turn that into the guy.

Now the quest says "find a greatsword or archstaff" which seems to apply to any one you pick up. I just so happened to pick up the one in the cave before any other weapon. Hell remember you can make fake duplicates of items in this game, you could have duped the ones you had and given him the fake (probably, I didn't try this)

Anyone explore the city? I decided to run around and check things out. Looks like there's a members only Bordelrie where sexy times can go down, but if you're not a member you'll get attacked if you go up the stairs. :p

Here's my pawn ID if anyone wants to give it a shot: DH8GXC013XJE

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

Movement is chunky. Maybe "realistic". I'd prefer something a tad more immediately responsive but it still feels good to control.

I wonder if that has to do with the size and weight of your character. Mine is on the small side and feels responsive. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

I have already gotten used to the frame rate, but I can still feel the lack of smoothness

Bad frame pacing with lower frame rate can make a player character feel chunky and sluggish too. 

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ve been creating my character for over an hour. 

I spent 20 hours with the character creator alone. Best should have given you a heads up so you'd be ready to go. :p

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Can someone explain what happens in Melve? Is that a flash back of fighting the dragon? I'm confused. 

That's how you become an arisen yes, and when you woke up you were in the mine at the beginning of the game.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I spent 20 hours with the character creator alone. Best should have given you a heads up so you'd be ready to go. :p

That's how you become an arisen yes, and when you woke up you were in the mine at the beginning of the game.

Ok that's where I was getting confused. Thanks a lot. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

So far, it feels more like a remake than a sequel.

apparently they’ve said this is the Dragon’s Dogma game they always wanted the first game to be. So that may be why. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Can someone explain what happens in Melve? Is that a flash back of fighting the dragon? I'm confused

Yeah I think that is where the dragon attacked and your character was made arisen. 

I think I'm enjoying the crafting in this more than the first game. It seems that everything is useful for turning into an item even if it goes rotten. Pro tip turn it into dried when it becomes aged.

Also, I though rotten stuff was supposed to disappear when you discard it. But I dropped a pile of rotten stuff right in front of the guy at the inn and the stuff has just been sitting there for days. :sick:

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Make sure you talk to every NPC you find because in the history page it logs every NPC you've ever met. So far I have 124, and it shows you what they like as well. :p

I actually love super deep logs like this!

40 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Which vocation did everyone choose? 

I'm a thief. Thinking about changing it up soon but I kind of want to max out the vocation first.

If you pick thief (as @Bacon mentioned earlier it is kind of bummer they can't use bows anymore) but if you have ensnare you can yank harpies right out of the sky. :o

22 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Does anyone else's PC version crash every time you close it down? 

Not mine. Mine crashed once when I got to the capital and it was raining and running like poo but have been fine otherwise.

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, anyway to check the time of day? I'm out in the night and it's not easy navigating. 

Not really. Your pawn usually say something, generally when it's about to become night and when it's about to become day.

• Thanks 1