Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

Dragon's Dogma 2 is, to put it mildly, an atypical RPG. To put it less mildly, Capcom was well and truly off its rocker and on a bender with this one. Exhibit A: the Unmaking Arrow, an arrow so powerful that, per its hilariously blunt in-game description, it auto-saves the game when fired, "so choose your moment with due care." Dragon's Dogma 2's approach to game design – friction-first, rule-breaking, and seriously unserious – has sparked some division but ultimately earned the game critical acclaim, and the Unmaking Arrow in particular has been lauded by many veteran game developers.

Scott Benson of Night in the Woods fame put a spotlight on the Unmaking Arrow on Twitter, giving a "shout out to whoever on the design team was like, 'ok before you react let me finish'" and calling the arrow and its quirky description "just fantastic." 

Benson's tweet was quickly picked up by other game devs, their gobs smacked and gasts flabbered. "This is game design, to me," said Jason Grinblat of legendary roguelike Caves of Qud. "Incredible. Flawless," added Rami Ismail of Nuclear Throne and Luftrausers studio Vlambeer. "The designer I’m not brave enough to be," said Scott Bradford, lead narrative designer on Skate (which you may know as Skate 4).

Arkane Lyon studio director Dinga Bakaba, perhaps best known as creative director on Deathloop and now for heading up Marvel's Blade, drilled a bit deeper. 

"This might be the funniest game design candy I've seen in a AAA video game in a long time," Bakaba said. "The display of ingenuity to commit to the bit making the item special by effortlessly breaking 'proper UX' rules coupled with the earnest explanation to bring the player along is brilliant!"

In a follow-up reply, Bakaba explored the rules that Dragon's Dogma 2 proudly tears to shreds for a gag: "Never autosaving when you aren't sure that the player is 'safe.' We do a lot of effort code-wise to ensure this rarely happens to not ruin your saves. And in this case you have only two saves (autosave and last inn sleep) so it's even more dramatic a move. It is also breaking a soft rule for that game where the text for items is used for function description, not tutorialization." 

• Haha 1

Speaking of taking your slow ass time. @Biggie I'm sure you've been to Waterfall Cave? I just went there, it's gotta be the biggest cave in the game I've explored so far lots of goodies and baddies in there.

I think it's the cave from Bacon's video earlier that I didn't watch but the enemy looked familiar.

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Speaking of taking your slow ass time. @Biggie I'm sure you've been to Waterfall Cave? I just went there, it's gotta be the biggest cave in the game I've explored so far lots of goodies and baddies in there.

I think it's the cave from Bacon's video earlier that I didn't watch but the enemy looked familiar.

Uh……No.  where is it?

It's not that motion blur at 30 FPS is "good," it's that it's "necessary," or else the game appears juddery and shitty and there's no sense of movement over time, just weird interstitial frames (or... lack of interstitial frames, I guess?) that can become very difficult to follow during fast action. Rebirth without motion blur looked absolutely abysmal at 30 FPS.

But it's a little more complicated than "motion blur on or off," a "good" motion blur at 30 is something you're not even likely to notice, because it's very minor. It's something you only notice when it's missing. Not to be confused with exaggerated motion blur that is usually a toggle. The kind that makes you feel sick or like you can't see anything. Every movie you've ever watched has had motion blur in every single scene and no one complains because it's not a bad thing on its own.

Of course, it's even more complicated than that, since this still relies on consistent frames to give the perception of fluid motion, so with randomly fluctuating frame rates plus wild frame times, it ain't gonna be a huge help. It's when you've got a "smooth" and consistent 30 FPS that it can really serve its role of making up for dev's mistakes of making a 30 FPS game.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's near the beginning of the game by the first outpost. I found it on my way to the capital, I think it's next to a river or something.

Oh I don’t think I wanna go back that far

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's even more amazing that none of these people are aware that it's the same arrow as seen in the first game in all but name!

b87LEdU.png

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

But it's a little more complicated than "motion blur on or off," a "good" motion blur at 30 is something you're not even likely to notice, because it's very minor. It's something you only notice when it's missing. Not to be confused with exaggerated motion blur that is usually a toggle. The kind that makes you feel sick or like you can't see anything. Every movie you've ever watched has had motion blur in every single scene and no one complains because it's not a bad thing on its own.

Also it depends on how it is implemented. Object motion blur is better than camera blur, or the other way around. One of them is less ugly is what I'm trying to say.

21 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It's not that motion blur at 30 FPS is "good," it's that it's "necessary," or else the game appears juddery and shitty and there's no sense of movement over time, just weird interstitial frames (or... lack of interstitial frames, I guess?) that can become very difficult to follow during fast action. Rebirth without motion blur looked absolutely abysmal at 30 FPS.

Of course, it's even more complicated than that, since this still relies on consistent frames to give the perception of fluid motion, so with randomly fluctuating frame rates plus wild frame times, it ain't gonna be a huge help. It's when you've got a "smooth" and consistent 30 FPS that it can really serve its role of making up for dev's mistakes of making a 30 FPS game.

I mean, real life has motion blur lol. Just wave your back and forth in front of your face. Maybe there are good applications of it in gaming, but I haven't noticed them since that's not prolly something you notice when it's done right as you mentioned. Personally, I have yet to play a game that looks or performs worse with it off when given the choice.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Beat my 1st run last night, and have been working to upgrade Dragon's Bite and Dragon's Flight today. I need one more fell lord bone for the bite, still hunting for another bone lord. 

Did the story have any type of satisfaction in the end? 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Did the story have any type of satisfaction in the end? 

Eh, that's a hard call to make since the level of story telling in this game is kind of like Dark Souls + a bit more. I will say there is a a twist or two with the ending though. 

• Thanks 1

Okay couple of things pissing me off. First traveling at night isn’t fun. In fact it’s stupid. Second can I walk more than 20 steps without having to fight a pack of goddamn monsters please? 

• Sicko 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Second can I walk more than 20 steps without having to fight a pack of goddamn monsters please? 

No.

Not sure why they changed it, but IIRC the roads in DD1 were "safe". Now it's like the main hangout is the road.

27 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No.

Not sure why they changed it, but IIRC the roads in DD1 were "safe". Now it's like the main hangout is the road.

I don't remember the roads being safe to travel on day or night. Night was always dangerous to travel in the first game.

Kept dying in a mine. Accidentally chose load from last inn save instead of load last save. Lost a ton of progress. Stupidest save file system ever created in a video game. Fuck Capcom and fuck this game. Uninstalled. 

• Sicko Sherman 1