Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

it will surely be somebody’s. My own possible hangups aside on this title it looks like we’ve got 2 strong contenders between this and FFVII Rebirth. 

Long year so we shall see. This isn't exactly a jam packed year so these 2 games have a legit shot.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Long year so we shall see. This isn't exactly a jam packed year so these 2 games have a legit shot.

Yeah the industry really seemed to blown its load last year. There’s also the Eldin Ring DLC that may be big enough people rope it into GOTY talks like they did the CP expansion. 

I kind of expect Star Wars outlaws to get pushed into 2025 by at least 1 delay. Which wouldnt have won anyways, but could be in some people’s top games of the year lists. 

• True 1

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah the industry really seemed to blown its load last year. There’s also the Eldin Ring DLC that may be big enough people rope it into GOTY talks like they did the CP expansion. 

I kind of expect Star Wars outlaws to get pushed into 2025 by at least 1 delay. Which wouldnt have won anyways, but could be in some people’s top games of the year lists. 

Good point about Elden Ring. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So I was all for this game until I heard somebody talking about what it might be like based on the first game. They got to talking about having limited inventory and needing to pack for a trip, take camping stuff and provisions, needing to sleep or lose health at night, making sure you pack the right stuff to deal with the creatures and threats you could face, maybe getting it wrong, etc. I was just like “sounds like Id be annoyed”.

This just sounds like the person is really into role playing the game. It seems just like the first one.

I don't recall ever losing health at night in the first game but you generally don't want to be out at night anyway because shit goes sideways really quick. :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This just sounds like the person is really into role playing the game. It seems just like the first one.

I don't recall ever losing health at night in the first game but you generally don't want to be out at night anyway because shit goes sideways really quick. :p

Yeah I don't remember any real survival mechanics in this game like losing health at night. I remember the enemies being more aggressive and stronger at night and also ther being enemies that you would ONLY see at night, but the game didn't have any real survival mechanics. You had to make sure you were well stocked because of the lack of fast travel and you needed to have a lot of healing items and restorative items on hand in order to survive the extended encounters, but that's it.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The only thing I noticed at night were zombies attacking you. It was pretty constant though. 

Yeah it's like non stop zombies, skeletons and flying spirits at night. I eventually started just resting at an inn before I went out because I didn't like dealing with all that. :p

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Just realized that this, Princess Peach Showtime, and Ronin are all the same day!

with Horizon Forbidden West the day before. This series really can’t catch a break on release dates. lol Sony just loves putting it out to get killed. 

• True 1

Ronin will turn out to be a 7 type game. Princess Peach will turn out to be an 8 type game. Forbidden West is a 7 type game. 

DD2 will score 9's and will do just fine in the company of games listed. I'll quote this in a few weeks. 

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ronin will turn out to be a 7 type game. Princess Peach will turn out to be an 8 type game. Forbidden West is a 7 type game. 

DD2 will score 9's and will do just fine in the company of games listed. I'll quote this in a few weeks. 

You forgot Alone In The Dark

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

3 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

You forgot Alone In The Dark

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

I'm think that's a 6 or 7. Not good lol. But I'm just playing here I have absolutely no idea how these games will score. Obviously. :p

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm think that's a 6 or 7. Not good lol. But I'm just playing here I have absolutely no idea how these games will score. Obviously. :p

Oh don't get me wrong. Alone in the Dark is being put out to die. Which is ironic cuz the main reason they delayed it was to get it away from Alan Wake II.

• True 1

I just like when a bunch of interesting games launch at the same time, I don’t think any of these will hurt the sales for the others (nobody is going to skip Peach because of DD2 and vice versa) besides maybe Horizon again but yeah Sony loves doing that.

Alone in the dark I think it will just depend on if the game is good or not if it does well as it’s also a totally different type of game than the rest.  

Written previews:

WWW.VG247.COM

Could it be an all-timer? Could it be a masterwork for all? Here’s hoping Capcom doesn’t go wrong at the final hurdle.

I want to talk to you about guts. Not the Berserk character, though Dragon’s Dogma 2 does have very big swords. Nor the courage to jump at a beast five times your size to try to take it down - though Dragon’s Dogma 2 has that, too. And definitely not guts in the British parlance, where to be gutted is to be racked with disappointment. Dragon’s Dogma 2 definitely doesn’t have that.

But, no - I’m talking about a gut feeling, I suppose. I’ve been doing this job for a long time. Decades, it pains me to admit. And I think my radar is pretty good. I trust those innards of mine. Sometimes I see something - even something that looks quite good - and I think ‘this ain’t gonna work’. Other times, I play a short demo of something and just know, deep down, that this is going to be an absolute banger. Most often, I end up being right, if I do say so myself.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview| A single 24-hour fight quickly turned Dragon's Dogma 2 into my most-anticipated RPG of the year

This fight has spiraled rapidly out of control. I thought I was taking on one stone golem, but now two more have come stumbling out of the foothills. At one point during the afternoon, a griffin swooped down to join the fray, permanently killing one of my pawns before my fire arrows could finish it off. I say 'the afternoon' because this battle eventually lasts for almost an entire day/night cycle. When the griffin falls, my fresh kill is bathed in the light of the evening's golden hour. When my second golem falls, it's by torchlight, and the first signs of dawn are creeping over the mountains by the time the fight is finally finished.

It's a chaotic battle that spreads over almost an entire hillside, and sees me using my magic archer's resurrection arrows on my suffering pawns dozens of times. It's also exactly the kind of thing that drew me to Dragon's Dogma 2. As someone who never played the original game, it was stories of the open-ended nature of its combat that excited me about the sequel. As first a magic archer with a quiver of homing arrows, and then a frantic, spear-wielding fighter, Dragon's Dogma 2 delivered on its promised freedom in spades.

Dragon's Dogma 2's vast open world has a very surprising source of inspiration: Rockstar's GTA 5.

Speaking to GamesRadar+ , Dragon's Dogma 2 game director Hideaki Itsuno spoke about his personal inspiration for elements of the new action-RPG. "GTA 5 was quite a big inspiration for me on the level of how it manages to combine multiple emergent gameplay systems into a satisfying experience that feels free to the player in terms of their freedom of what they can choose to do," Itsuno said. 

The Capcom veteran also pointed to GTA 5's "flexibility of how it manages multiple overlapping events." For example, says Itsuno, you could be doing something that spirals wildly out of control, and it overlaps with whatever's surrounding it in the game world. "The game manages that; it doesn't crash, it doesn't kick you out of one thing and put you in the other, it just lets it all mash together in a way that is of course sometimes chaotic, but always feels like it's intentional," added Itsuno. 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview| With a touch of Baldur's Gate 3 and Devil May Cry, Hideaki Itsuno has delivered on his dream

The term 'cult classic' feels less significant than it used to. That's most likely due to the sheer amount of new content and the prevalence of streaming services at our fingertips today – but Dragon's Dogma nevertheless feels like the quintessential cult classic. With its sequel finally just around the corner more than a decade after the original release, returning director Hideaki Itsuno wears that cult status as a badge of honor.

"I personally believe that a really well-made game will never go out of style with players," Itsuno tells me. Asked via an interpreter what it is about his 2012 release that has continued to pull in new players nearly 12 years later, he points to a core gameplay experience that has simply stood the test of time, referencing the "timelessness" and "fundamental high quality game design" of the likes of Super Mario World. "You just have to have faith," he explains, "and be able to make the best possible experience you can at the time." When it comes to Dragon's Dogma, he claims that "it shows, I think, that my convictions were justified in the first place with what my vision was for the game."

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

"One of my former masters chose to hire only women. I wonder why?"

Dragon's Dogma 2 players are feeling pretty called out by some of the Pawn voice lines in the sequel.

Yesterday saw our big Dragon's Dogma 2 preview go live after we'd spent a handful of hours with Capcom's dark RPG sequel. New gameplay videos have also made their way online, and some fans are noticing that Pawns can recall a time when their past master either hired an all-female troupe or had all their Pawns strip down to nothing. 

Some are taking this as a pretty brutal call-out for some of the hornier Dragon's Dogma players out there. Just below, for example, one player says Capcom knows exactly what you were up to in the original game, referencing a Pawn saying "Curious thing: One of my former masters chose to hire only women. I wonder why?" Capcom knows exactly why.

The director of Dragon's Dogma 2 has warned future players to take care of their favorite NPCs, as the developer takes death "seriously" and isn't afraid to kill characters off. 

In an interview with Automaton, Dragon's Dogma 2's director Hideaki Itsuno and producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi discussed the upcoming game, and specifically its NPCs. When asked if the sequel will also feature Affinity like the first game, which allowed players to build friendships with the NPCs scattered around the map, the director revealed that "there will be a lot of it, and it will be even more pronounced."

"It's almost the entire reason why we made the game open-world," Itsuno continues. "There will be many events that occur/don’t occur depending on Affinity, and relationships between NPCs will also be important." On the topic of getting close with NPCs, the director goes on to explain that the premise since the beginning has been to create "a fantasy world simulator" and that part of this is having NPCs die as a regular occurrence. 

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Dragon's Dogma knows how to make getting lost just as compelling as any quest it could give you.

I learned from the movies that the best way to unearth a criminal conspiracy is to follow the money. That advice also applies to understanding videogames: feel out where a game dedicated the big bucks and you'll get a sense of where its heart truly lies. 

In Baldur's Gate 3, the money went into the cinematic motion captured conversations, which imbue the endless dialogue with an animated sense of life that Larian had never managed in its older games. In Dragon's Dogma 2, this year's long-awaited RPG sequel, I could immediately tell the money did not go into its conversations in the same way. Walking through a small stopover town alongside a road that wound through open wilderness in either direction, villagers began hailing me with quests and news, yanking away control of my camera and spinning it 180 degrees to face them as they told me about a missing son or local mystery.

I felt like I was wearing a neon sign that said "LOVES QUESTS," or maybe "PLAYER CHARACTER"—it was the funniest first 10 minutes of a game I've played in a long time, a jarring and slightly charming throwback to 15 or 20 years ago, when big-budget games weren't yet spending their money everywhere to polish even the smallest interactions until not a spot of friction remains. Capcom has never made an RPG of this scale before; does it know how to make an RPG of this scale? Was there a more subtle path to take here than three villagers yelling "Hail, Arisen!" at me within five minutes and wresting away my controls? 

WWW.GAMEDEVELOPER.COM

Hideaki Itsuno explains how Dragon's Dogma 2's customizable NPCs learn from other players and react to the game world.

Capcom's Dragon's Dogma 2 is the long-awaited follow-up to the 2012 action RPG that saw the developer take its first step into the open-world RPG genre. In the time since its release, the original Dragon's Dogma went from a modest cult classic to a genre favorite among RPG fans for its unusual yet still satisfying approach to a single-player adventure within a connected online world.

That “connected online world” was brought together through "Pawns"—customizable party members that can be shared through an online portal with other players. Pawns sent out into the online world would return having “learned” from their experiences, and in Dragon’s Dogma 2, what kind of information they can learn and offer the player has been elevated to a whole new level.

WWW.IGN.COM

Dragon’s Dogma 2 really clicked with me because you need to constantly be on your toes. There are moments of downtime when you can just enjoy the vista or pose with a random Ogre you’ve defeated. But more often than not I was organically finding combat encounters and secrets that I wanted to investigate more. And that amazing loop was consistent as I made my journey back.

While the gameplay was amazing and I can’t wait to get back to play more, there was one concern I’ve seen the community curious about: the uncapped framerate on console. When looking at this it should be noted that I’m playing a version which Capcom clearly states is “still in development, and is not equivalent to the final product.” But in this build on PlayStation 5, Dragon’s Dogma 2 was averaging around 31 frames per second with dips during heavy moments of action while playing with the PS5 set to output at 4K. I did not get to test at lower base revolutions or VRR during my time to see if that had a positive impact on performance however, if I had one hope, it would be that Capcom added more options in the framerate department including, at minimum a capped 30 frames per second mode.

That said, the gameplay was so fun that it was hard to walk away focused on anything other than my genuine excitement to play more.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Eurogamer's preview of Dragon's Dogma 2, featuring an interview with series director Hideaki Itsuno

That said, I do have a theory. In previous interviews regarding Dragon's Dogma 2, Itsuno-san has made repeated references to Isekais - a popular subgenre in Japanese media, especially anime, wherein someone is transported or reincarnated into an alternate universe. In one specific interview, Itsuno-san even expressed his desire to make Dragon's Dogma 2 an "isekai reincarnation simulator". Many assumed that was a whimsical comparison, a way of loosely implying that we as players can roleplay as a fantasy character within Dragon's Dogma's world. But what if Itsuno-san meant it in a literal sense? Perhaps our Arisen, an amnesiac with no backstory, is the player themselves, "Isekaied" into the world of Dragon's Dogma so we can relive our adventures from the first game?

Either way, what's clear from my time in the preview is Itsuno-san has doubled down on the vision he had for the original game, only choosing to improve or change that which came about as a result of the limitations placed on him before. If my theory is correct, the desire to Isekai the player into the world of Dragon's Dogma may have been inspired by Itsuno-san's own desire to do things right if he was given a second chance, because in many ways Dragon's Dogma 2 doesn't feel like a sequel - it feels, at least so far, like the perfect version of Dragon's Dogma we were meant to experience the first time around.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Dragon's Dogma 2 is an evolution of everything that made the first one unique, taking its best traits to new heights with a gorgeous RE Engine-powered makeover.

The first time I ventured out into the vast open land of Dragon's Dogma 2, I was accompanied by my three companions as we followed a lead on a missing young boy, suspected to have been dragged off by a pack of wolves. As I pursued the trail, my crew and I fought off a gang of thieves, sliced our way through banshees, discovered treasure, and battled a giant troll on the edge of a cliff that eventually fell to its death. None of these occurrences were at all related to one another, nor did they pertain to the lost boy that set this journey in motion. Instead, this thread of distinct events emerged naturally and set the tone for the world of Dragon's Dogma 2. The long-awaited sequel is a giant open land where danger looms around every corner in all shapes and sizes, and regardless of your quest, there's always the chance a cyclops could unravel your best-laid plans by picking you up and hurling you into the ocean.

Based on the three hours I played at a preview event, Dragon's Dogma 2 is very much an extension of everything the first game accomplished 12 years ago. It's an open-world fantasy RPG, mixed with cool-as-hell action combat, and giant mythical monsters to cling onto, with its unique player-created pawn companion system as a centerpiece. It's all still there from a gameplay perspective, so the most standout change is the RE Engine-powered makeover that aims to place the series' core values in the best possible light.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

The sequel is both an intentionally, and emergently hilarious game…

It’s so rare during a preview event for a game to have us giggling with childlike enjoyment.

Typically these events are hyper-controlled corporate walkthroughs, showing off exactly what the publisher wants you to see. This is why it was such a pleasure when we recently got a chance to play 3 hours of Dragon’s Dogma 2, off the leash.

Not only was this an excellent way to experience a chunk of the upcoming mammoth Capcom RPG, but also led to the three of us in the demo room laughing uproariously as we discovered just how overpowered some of Dragon’s Dogma’s new toys really are.

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We played about three hours of Dragon's Dogma 2, checking out two of its new classes and more!

I played Dragon’s Dogma on my PlayStation 3 when it launched in 2012 because I thought the cover looked interesting. I had a newfound appreciation for the fantasy RPG genre thanks to the prior year’s release of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the title was cool; it was that simple. Playing the game, however, was not. Dragon’s Dogma is still probably the most challenging modern fantasy RPG this side of From Software.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, after three hours of hands-on time, Dragon’s Dogma 2 feels just like the first game. And that’s great, even if it means players new to the series will likely go through the struggles I did in Dragon’s Dogma more than a decade ago.

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

The fantastical sequel features new vocations, new monsters with new ways to kill them, and more.

It’s been 11 years since the release of Capcom’s fantasy action-role playing game Dragon’s Dogma, with fans readily anticipating the March 22 release of its long-awaited sequel, Dragon’s Dogma 2.

Dragon’s Dogma 2 takes everything that made the original a cult classic and builds upon that foundation. There are new vocations, more monsters to take on, more ways to defeat them, more places to venture to, and above all, more life in the world of the Arisen.

WWW.RPGFAN.COM

Thanks to the people at Capcom, I recently had the privilege of checking out a preview build of the upcoming Dragon's Dogma 2. Like many, I was very surprised

Thanks to the people at Capcom, I recently had the privilege of checking out a preview build of the upcoming Dragon’s Dogma 2. Like many, I was very surprised when Capcom announced Dragon’s Dogma 2 in 2022, because it was a game I never expected to get a sequel. After playing this demo, I am glad it is, because Dragon’s Dogma 2 has the foundation to be one of the best open-world RPGs released thus far.

One of the best things about video games in this day and age is the ability for developers to create these vast open-world games that weren’t feasible back in the day. Even just ten years ago, when the original Dragon’s Dogma was released, open-world games were still in their infancy and going through a lot of growing pains. Many people still find open-world games to be boring and find traversal to be a slog. Why make these vast, boring, and empty stretches of land when your destination is the spot where the action happens? It’s a very valid point that developers still struggle to get right. The answer for most games seems to make the ability to traverse these areas quicker, either by increasing movement speed or fast travel. If you ask me, the only games that have perfected the art of travel are still the two recent Legend of Zelda titles. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom made travel between destinations the fun part, versus just focusing on the destinations themselves. So when Dragon’s Dogma‘s director, Hideaki Itsuno, recently said in an IGN interview that Dragon’s Dogma 2 would have limited fast travel because it’s boring and leads to a boring game because the developers didn’t take the time to make travel fun, I knew what I had to experience with my time with Dragon’s Dogma 2. I had to see firsthand if Dragon’s Dogma 2‘s open world could bring out that adventurous and curious side of me.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series | 22 March 2024) - Information Thread, update: new preview articles/videos posted
5 minutes ago, stepee said:

This definitely has more hype than i anticipated. Got it preordered but keeping my expectations reasonably low as I can’t quite tell how much it’ll gel with me yet.

Did you play the first? It's fuckin good and 11 years old! This is gunna be epic!

31 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Did you play the first? It's fuckin good and 11 years old! This is gunna be epic!

I tried to get into it when it came out on Switch like 5 years ago but it didn’t click. I was actually looking forward to it hitting Switch to as it seemed like something I’d like but it just felt…barren to me. I’m hoping more chatty pawns, maybe a little more story (?), and the tech/visuals will change that for me here as the combat is great.

Quick questions, the characters that follow you around, are they very involved in the story? Where you get fun party banter, they add to story conversations, they seem like people. Or are they just there, a bot following you around, and I’ll likely get more emotionally attached to my own weapon than I will any of those in my party? 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Quick questions, the characters that follow you around, are they very involved in the story? Where you get fun party banter, they add to story conversations, they seem like people. Or are they just there, a bot following you around, and I’ll likely get more emotionally attached to my own weapon than I will any of those in my party? 

From my few hours that I played of the first one they are quite involved with speaking. For instance they will say important things when nearing a landmark or give good advice on your particular quest. This was 2011 so things have advanced. They definitely aren't brain dead 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Your main pawn is with you throughout the game and will level up with your main character. The other two you will switch out and hire as new ones as you level up because those pawns don't level with you. The pawns talk though and they said they will be more talakative in this game than the first one. One interesting feature of the first game was that the two other pawns you hire are other gamers main pawns... so you could theoretically hire MY pawn in your game. The other thing is that when your not playing, and your main pawn is in another gamer's game, they bring back loot and items they experience from those other games. So if  your pawn has been to a location that you've never been to, or if they'f fought a monster you've never fought, they'll call that out telling you what the monster is weak against, or that there may be a hidden area or loot nearby. The Pawn system was REALLY cool 11 years ago and it sounds like they've expanded on it a lot.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Does it seem like the Pawns have unique personalities or are they all relatively interchangeable mercenaries? 

I think the whole idea of pawns is they have no personality. They're not even really considered humans. They have combat barks and and point out things but don't super get involved in the story. (Though if you got to the end of the first game they sort of do) NPC pawns have more personalities if they are story related (again based on the first game)

As for interchangeable you have a personal pawn. You hire 2 others from the rift and can swap them in and out at any time. If it's anything like the first game you can hire higher level ones with rift crystals.

Also there is something called a knowledge chair (which I always think of Angry Chair when I see it) and you can tell your pawn how you want them to act.

• Halal 2

On 3/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Max showed some preview footage off of this, so I guess a lot of videos will be coming down the pipe.

Seems mostly like the first one, or a realized version of what the first one wanted to be.

Things that stuck out to me were:

- Not everyone is a human this time

- There is a minimap (thank goodness!)

- It looks a bit more open than the first game.

Obviously the graphics aren't ass this time around as well.

Here's the video I was referring to

I guess another thing that's a big deal that I kind of glossed over is that there is no more loading when you go into a city, you just go into it. So like the highlight video and this video shows if you get chased by monsters they will wreak havoc in the town and townspeople will come to help fight. :o

• Shocked 1

I've been spending HOURS with this character creator. On the plus side it saves me time for when the game actually comes out and I can just use my character right off the bat. :p

Also @skillzdadirecta they have some pretty good African-American hairstyles in this game for a change. Maybe they've been listening. 🤔

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the whole idea of pawns is they have no personality. They're not even really considered humans. They have combat barks and and point out things but don't super get involved in the story. (Though if you got to the end of the first game they sort of do) NPC pawns have more personalities if they are story related (again based on the first game)

As for interchangeable you have a personal pawn. You hire 2 others from the rift and can swap them in and out at any time. If it's anything like the first game you can hire higher level ones with rift crystals.

Also there is something called a knowledge chair (which I always think of Angry Chair when I see it) and you can tell your pawn how you want them to act.

Ok. Yeah by interchangeable I more meant they will all generally say the same things. Not like a Square RPG or a Bioware RPG where party members bring something specific to the conversation and even banter with each other in a way unique to them. 

I like that they sound chatty. I wonder if they will have personality enough my sister would get into the game. My sister really prefers games with chatty party members that feel like people and not just bots that exist. Like Dragon Age.  

17 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Ok. Yeah by interchangeable I more meant they will all generally say the same things. Not like a Square RPG or a Bioware RPG where party members bring something specific to the conversation and even banter with each other in a way unique to them. 

I like that they sound chatty. I wonder if they will have personality enough my sister would get into the game. My sister really prefers games with chatty party members that feel like people and not just bots that exist. Like Dragon Age.  

I tried to find some raw gameplay since a lot of these previews have talking over it, here's a good one that will give you an idea of what pawns say

Basically it's a lot of combat barks, telling you what they do or shout out enemies they see. They pick up items and say something. I think Skills outlined they say if they know what happens in a quest or know where to go if you've hired someone else's pawn who's got knowledge. They basically never shut up. As for personality I don't know how much that will come into play.

BUT the character creator does make it seem like you can give them a baseline personality. You can give them 4 "inclinations" Kindhearted, Calm, Simple and Straightforward (these are kind of like in the first game) - this affects what they do in battle but maybe it could affect what they say or how they say it. (I don't know for sure of course)

I already put an hour into the character creator on a pawn. It's very in depth and even let's you change the direction and kind of lighting so you can see better how they will actually look in game.

• Halal 1