Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Some of the changes included in the upcoming patch (release TBD):

6pSL2qVEBA83AFA2z6hU3d-970-80.jpg

YEAH

FUCK MOTION BLUR HOLY FUCK

ALSO LET ME TURN OF THE FUCKING VIGNETTE

WHY MUST YOU MAKE THE EDGES OF MY SCREEN DARKER FOR NO REASON

• True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Keyser_Soze You lost me in weapon stats above. I look to see if the weapon I  buy raise my base values. 

What I'm saying is every weapon has base stats. For example let's say "Beginner's Sword" has  1 stat across the board. But if you upgrade "Beginner's Sword" to max stats let's say it has 10 stats for everything. Now you go out in the world and see new weapons, like "Cool Blade" but "Cool Blade"' stats are all 7 to begin with.

What I'm asking is if you are comparing your fully upgraded "Beginner's Sword" to the "Cool Blade" that is not upgraded. I'm saying if you upgraded "Cool Blade" it would likely have higher stats than the weapon you have that you're comparing it to.

• Thanks 1

Max 30 cap will be huge for consoles, provided it's a good framerate limiter and doesn't allow frametimes to go wild. The entire reason it's so herky-jerky all the time is that the frametimes are all over the place, which gives a really constant "start-stop-start-stop" feeling to the entire game when in towns, and less so the further away from towns you are.

Weird to say for one of the objectively worse performing games I've played in years, but it actually runs really well when away from towns. Just these beautiful locales, dense, foggy forests with gorgeous lighting, multiple enemies fighting and tons of spell effects and it doesn't miss a beat. But it's like an inverse square law, where the performance cost decreases exponentially when far away from NPCs, and of course increases exponentially as you draw closer.

I really hope they pin down and minimize the issue(s), I assume they're simply keeping track of far more information than is relevant to the player that could probably be simplified. To expand upon my earlier baseless conjecture: performance like this makes me think they're doing shit like cloth physics and animation calculations (like inverse kinematics) when characters not only aren't on-screen, but not even within a radius where that would be even potentially useful, like when you turn the camera to look at a city from a mile away. When in reality they could probably just track "x,y,z position, daily schedule" and whatever other absolute minimum tracking needs to be done. The CPU usage is insane right now.

uJUNu28.png

As you can see, while the average FPS is fine, the 1% and 0.1% lows are absurdly low. When your FPS is fluctuating between 86 and 30 (and everywhere inbetween) every frame, it's gonna feel bad. But it also goes much, much lower. A 7800X3D is enough CPU horsepower to bend the Series X and PS5 over and rearrange their guts, but still gets roughly the same lows as those versions. (As you can see, despite the wide range of CPUs, the variance is not as wide as you'd expect. And this is at a low resolution on a 4090, so no GPU getting in the way.)

They've got their work cut out for them, and man I hope they do it.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Some of the changes included in the upcoming patch (release TBD):

6pSL2qVEBA83AFA2z6hU3d-970-80.jpg

17 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

These seem like good changes.

Spoiler patch notes. Had no idea that we could have our own house! :nottalking:

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

YEAH

FUCK MOTION BLUR HOLY FUCK

ALSO LET ME TURN OF THE FUCKING VIGNETTE

WHY MUST YOU MAKE THE EDGES OF MY SCREEN DARKER FOR NO REASON

Bro the vignetting in the first game fucked up the entire image! No idea why bootleg artists are so obsessed with something that looks so awful.

image.png?ex=660e639e&is=65fbee9e&hm=0bc

Look at that garbage ass sky. And you needed a MOD to remove the vignetting. And it had to do so by replacing like a thousand texture files! But it got rid of whatever the fuck I'm looking at here.

• Like 1

It's nuts how much Thief fits the first few story missions. It feels canon.

And I'm pretty sure my character has ended up looking exactly how he did in the first game. As in, at one point my Strider gear in DD1 looked exactly like this:

7XRVa7V.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It's nuts how much Thief fits the first few story missions. It feels canon.

And I'm pretty sure my character has ended up looking exactly how he did in the first game. As in, at one point my Strider gear in DD1 looked exactly like this:

7XRVa7V.jpg

And? 

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Also, everyone else's PC sounds like a freight train while playing the game, right? RIGHT??? :s

temps and cooling wise my PC is no different than any other game. I was seeing signs of being CPU limited though with my GPU showing fluctuating usage between 90-99% without DLSS being on. I don’t think it is getting worked as hard as other games work it. My series X can get louder than my PC, although it doesn’t sustain that level. My PC just sounds like a quiet fan. Less the mechanic hum and more the fast blowing of air into the glass case and maybe escaping through corners and vents. I rarely notice it except for before some game’s audio starts and after closing a game. 

29 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Spoiler patch notes. Had no idea that we could have our own house! :nottalking:

I figured we could because on the town map houses that belonged to people have a banner icon in them while sometimes one won’t. So I assumed that meant I’d be able to buy a house. 

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This game is dope af. 

28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The sense of discovery in this is so good. Such a unique game and so refreshing. 

YES. It’s where the game really shines in my opinion. Yesterday there were times when I found something thought to myself “okay that was really cool as fuck”. The more I find the more I just want to explore. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

YES. It’s where the game really shines in my opinion. Yesterday there were times when I found something thought to myself “okay that was really cool as fuck”. The more I find the more I just want to explore. 

Well I'm pursuing a quest and it's quite the adventure. So different than other games that hold your hand. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Ok I gotta ask @Bacon  how many consecutive hours have you played this game? lol 

18 hours. But that's just how long the game has been running. It's probably closer to 15 hours or a bit less.

I'm a cheap bitch and looked up how to get some good stuff early and just started a new game. Without even doing anything I made it to the capital with over 30k gold. The answer to your inventory problems is to sell everything thats not rare. You don't need 50 goblin horns or base level potions. Sell that shit. And if you do end up needing a couple goblin horns or Saurian scales to upgrade a weapon, walk like 2 minutes outside of the capital. Of course you build up your gold early you can then get weapons that need higher level enemy parts than the base trash mobs drop so you won't need that crap anyway 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm a cheap bitch and looked up how to get some good stuff early and just started a new game. Without even doing anything I made it to the capital with over 30k gold. The answer to your inventory problems is to sell everything thats not rare. You don't need 50 goblin horns or base level potions. Sell that shit. And if you do end up needing a couple goblin horns or Saurian scales to upgrade a weapon, walk like 2 minutes outside of the capital. Of course you build up your gold early you can then get weapons that need higher level enemy parts than the base trash mobs drop so you won't need that crap anyway 

Fucking cheater. I don’t even know who you are anymore. 

• Sicko Sherman 1

21 minutes ago, Dodger said:

send your pawn on a quest and ask for gold in return and rake in the money, keep your crafting items, ez!

I currently have 178K, sell everything that is common and get that house as soon as you can! I basically maxed out each type of common items in my storage chest and now sell anything new that comes into my inventory. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I currently have 178K, sell everything that is common and get that house as soon as you can! I basically maxed out each type of common items in my storage chest and now sell anything new that comes into my inventory. 

I'm nowhere near house buying status. I'm trying to find a boy taken by wolves or something.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm nowhere near house buying status. I'm trying to find a boy taken by wolves or something.

Spoiler

I met that lad, lovely fellow! When I returned him to town, the game bugged out and he would not go to his uncle and instead insisted on standing in a bath of water a street away from him home. So I carried him to his uncle and tossed him at his uncle. Touchdown! Apparently his uncle approved of this act of child abuse because this triggered the end of the quest and the reception of my reward! All in a day's work for this hero!  :sun:

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Jesus bro, do you sleep? lol 

I ran into a woman that wants me to use her house for a week. So it's free and I get to sleep and store things there.

I'm level 16 currently traveling really far away for a quest I got in town. 

How do you do quests that tell you to do something but nothing is on the map to assist? I ran into that issue in part 1 too. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How do you do quests that tell you to do something but nothing is on the map to assist? I ran into that issue in part 1 too. 

One way is to talk to NPCs. Often they will lead you along your quest.

Or even better, hire a pawn with quest knowledge. That is a major reason why these quests seem to give no direction. There are pawns to guide you.

Or just google. I'm a big google gamer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

One way is to talk to NPCs. Often they will lead you along your quest.

Or even better, hire a pawn with quest knowledge. That is a major reason why these quests seem to give no direction. There are pawns to guide you.

Or just google. I'm a big google gamer.

Well my pawns are offline because my connection is just God awful.

Will they still help?

I did talk to npcs and got nowhere. Yea, ill probably google.