Now this is what Zelda should look like

best3444

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

If we assume that a game using this engine made by Nintendo would actually have a great design aesthetic to back it up, sure, I guess. 

There we go! In reality, I agree it shouldn't look like that. I was just impressed with the water. :p

The reason these tech demos never seem to land with me is that they fail to capture the look and feel of Zelda, so it looks like they just extracted a Link model and dropped him into an unrelated world not designed around his aesthetic... which is invariably exactly what happens.

Now, I'm able to put that aside and think "okay, but what if this had a proper art style and the camera moved like a Zelda game instead of like an Unreal tech demo camera" and I think the result is usually okay. Would love to see a Wind Waker sequel with water physics like this, for example.

But at that point we're so far from "wouldn't Zelda be cool like this" that it doesn't matter. I'm supposed to be enjoying this video but instead am imagining a completely different scenario that I could've reached just using my imagination to begin with.

When I think "this is what Zelda could look like" I actually think of something closer to Elden Ring. There's a beauty and a mystery to that world that -eldritch horrors aside- perfectly encapsulates the sense of adventure and danger I want out of a Zelda game. Not quite the layer of whimsy, but imagining a single different variable from a product that's not even purpose-built for making me wonder what Zelda could look like, is totally acceptable and easier than "yeah but what if literally everything was different but this one element was there."

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The reason these tech demos never seem to land with me is that they fail to capture the look and feel of Zelda, so it looks like they just extracted a Link model and dropped him into an unrelated world not designed around his aesthetic... which is invariably exactly what happens.

Now, I'm able to put that aside and think "okay, but what if this had a proper art style and the camera moved like a Zelda game instead of like an Unreal tech demo camera" and I think the result is usually okay. Would love to see a Wind Waker sequel with water physics like this, for example.

But at that point we're so far from "wouldn't Zelda be cool like this" that it doesn't matter. I'm supposed to be enjoying this video but instead am imagining a completely different scenario that I could've reached just using my imagination to begin with.

When I think "this is what Zelda could look like" I actually think of something closer to Elden Ring. There's a beauty and a mystery to that world that -eldritch horrors aside- perfectly encapsulates the sense of adventure and danger I want out of a Zelda game. Not quite the layer of whimsy, but imagining a single different variable from a product that's not even purpose-built for making me wonder what Zelda could look like, is totally acceptable and easier than "yeah but what if literally everything was different but this one element was there."

This is good. Kinda the same view point on those water physics in a Wind Waker 2.