The Last of Us: Part 1 - update: PC Update 1.1 released, officially Steam Deck verified

For those working from home: Install it and start it up now, the shader build is lonnnnng. Like 30min+ depending on your cpu long. Also from what I’m reading, make sure your cpu OC is stable because this is going to test it!

Also see that 4k native shows over 16gb vram hot damn.

Im reading good things past the shader comp, should be no stutters and tons of options and apparently looks insane. 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

For those working from home: Install it and start it up now, the shader build is lonnnnng. Like 30min+ depending on your cpu long. Also from what I’m reading, make sure your cpu OC is stable because this is going to test it!

Im reading good things past the shader comp, should be no stutters and tons of options and apparently looks insane. 

You starting this up tonight?

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh yes it is.  

Why can it only run in windowed mode and no exclusive Fullscreen? 

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I've noticed that there's a good amount of games like that these days. I honestly don't understand it. 

Isnt there no actual exclusive full screen in DX12 or smtn?

14 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I'll stare at Joel while it builds the shader

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Smart.

Overall performance seems tough but fair. So many options for people to scale down. On the gpu end 120 is easy on a 4090 but you have to acrually use dlss unlike most other releases on this monster! I might end up using dlss balanced because it does drop some from 120 in the opening on dlss quality gpu wise but then seems to get hit less hard so might bump it back to quality.

Once last the initial house scene cpu bottleneck kicks in as it has been and puts my framerate in the 90s. It’s using  a lot of the cpu though so it seems to be optimized well enough, just a bit demanding. 12th gen and up people will be fine and my new pc comes today soooo

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm positive I have DX12 games that allow exclusive full screen. AFAIK, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is DX12 and offers exclusive full screen.

Yeah you’re right there are some, I forget what exactly it is but I think the overall reason is something to do with DX12z

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I won't be ignored @stepee!!!

lol I meant to quote you but I already checked out a little of the opening to check performance on my old pc before I upgrade!

That should be happening after work so I might go in and play some after I get it up and running, depends how tired I am after work and stuff. But beyond checking it out a little I won’t dive in until later this weekend after I beat the incredible RE4.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol I meant to quote you but I already checked out a little of the opening to check performance on my old pc before I upgrade!

That should be happening after work so I might go in and play some after I get it up and running, depends how tired I am after work and stuff. But beyond checking it out a little I won’t dive in until later this weekend after I beat the incredible RE4.

Nice. I'm replaying it after RE4 like a psycho.  🤪 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

1.2 TB. Yes, it still exists and it’s bullshit. Especially for gigabit internet. 

I know in the Houston market if you rent the Comcast router for $20 a month they drop the data cap all together. 

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I know in the Houston market if you rent the Comcast router for $20 a month they drop the data cap all together. 

Yeah they have some weird ways to remove it depending on where you are. I would call Comcast up and see if there are options if I were @CastlevaniaNut18 and haven’t checked in a bit

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

ATT is bringing it to my area sometime in the near future but apparently it stops just shy of my street. At least that’s what they told my husband when he called them after seeing signs popping up in the neighborhood. 😑

Hopefully they get their soon. I've had their 1 Gbps service for about 5 years and just moved to their 5 Gbps service as they expanded access to it. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It’s an extra $30/month to drop the cap here. He’s checked it. Most months we’re okay, but we have to watch it a fair bit when it’s getting late in the month. 

Plus, he doesn’t wanna pay that out of principle because it’s such bullshit. 

• Halal 1

It did never make any sense to release it after season 1. I stopped after the first 30min to wait dor the game.

Runs well on my rig. The shader compliation takes forever. I left the game running and went over to play CoH3. Did play for a bit but I guess shader stutter is an issue when it's not 100% complete. It lookd amazing but performance feels off. I'm in the mid 50s to mid 60s. The game looks amazing but a 7900XTX at slightly below 4k should get more then that. 

Time to wait for driver and performance patches I guess. Or play something else while I wait for stutter. Guess I found a use for a 16 core processor. Compling shaders while I play something else. Wonder what perf I'd have gotten out of an 8 core processor in this case. Anyone with CoH3 can check?

Edit: Zen 5 possibly 3d v cache and a 8900XTX in 2025 let's go. Alternatively maybe just the 8900XTX can brute force games like this.

55 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The game runs flawlessly on my PC, though I acknowledge my rig is not the standard user case. 

Wait I got it. Sony is fucking up on purpose so we buy PS5s. Why buy 7900XTXs when you need a 4090 for great performance so get a PS5 instead.

Honestly I know I can’t use my current system to judge but I don’t think it’s THAT bad of a port and it’s getting overblown. The crazy long shader comp is weird but a hell of a lot better than shader stutter. And cpu requirement is super high but not nearly as bad as some other games recently with RT. Yeah this doesn’t have RT, but look at it, it’s pushing a lot of shit. It’s also super scalable and I bet ps5 is running everything at like medium. 

The really bad ports pretty much can’t be overcome with how bad they perform or stutter, and this isn’t that. And it has an amazing settings menu. There are some reports of it crashing for some people which they obviously need to resolve asap though. 

edit: And not everything has to run on steam deck but if your game can’t run at a locked 30fps with reasonable settings then you shouldn’t be teasing the ability to play on deck, probably a lot of the bad reviews are from deck players 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

And not everything has to run on steam deck but if your game can’t run at a locked 30fps with reasonable settings then you shouldn’t be teasing the ability to play on deck, probably a lot of the bad reviews are from deck players 

Devs just wanted Steam Deck players to experience the original PS3 graphics.

• Haha 2