March 2022 NPD: Elden Ring/Gran Turismo 7 repeat at #1 and #2, spending down from March 2021, hardware down 15% from year ago, Xbox leads in dollars, Switch in units

SaysWho?

eh the only thing really affecting people to where they couldn’t buy games anymore would be high rent and that’s already been happening forever, I don’t think the food or gas spikes are stopping people from getting Ghostwire, I think it’s more less time staying at home playing games and March not having anything crazy big to counter that.

Just kidding it’s because of too much woke content, people have had enough.

Just now, Mercury33 said:

Also Ghost Wire not being great probably has something to do with it 

I don’t know mannnnnnnnnnn, played a bunch more yesterday exploring and doing side missions and I kind of keep liking it more and more. It has a whole vibe that just works for me.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You like everything though. You're now a step above @Phaseknoxin generosity towards mediocrity. :p

What else have I liked that was mediocre that I didn’t at least classify as mediocre?!

I just play a bunch of stuff so I end up finding a lot of stuff I like. The stuff I don’t like you just don’t hear me keep talking about it.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

What else have I liked that was mediocre that I didn’t at least classify as mediocre?!

I just play a bunch of stuff so I end up finding a lot of stuff I like. The stuff I don’t like you just don’t hear me keep talking about it.

fuck someone is going to dig up one of my posts about Avengers 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I can't think of anything off the top of my head but you do say you like a lot of stuff more than I've seen you say you don't like stuff. :p

I guess I just don’t like talking about the games I don’t like as much! Like I can tell you DMC5 is a snooze if you wannnnnnt.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

eh the only thing really affecting people to where they couldn’t buy games anymore would be high rent and that’s already been happening forever, I don’t think the food or gas spikes are stopping people from getting Ghostwire, I think it’s more less time staying at home playing games and March not having anything crazy big to counter that.

No one's not buying Elden Ring because of inflation, but with rents shooting up 22% since a year ago, it's not the same pressure as it once was.

I'd be looking into building a new PC right now with GPU prices falling, if the housing market wasn't nutso.

46 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I thought the argument was that Game Pass caused people to spend more on video games?

It was and then it wasn't based on whatever MS PR was saying. :p 

For real, though, this just seems like supply chain + things opening up compared to March 2021 and March 2020 + maybe Florida contributed since our home insurance/rent is increasing at rates that make the rest of the nation seem like peanuts.

• True 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I thought the argument was that Game Pass caused people to spend more on video games?

I believe the statement was Game Pass Subs spend more on gaming than non subs.  Could be wrong but that's a very different statement, and made awhile ago I think.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

No one's not buying Elden Ring because of inflation, but with rents shooting up 22% since a year ago, it's not the same pressure as it once was.

I'd be looking into building a new PC right now with GPU prices falling, if the housing market wasn't nutso.

It is fucking crazy out there. All the shit we gave gone through in the last 4 years, The fire, loss of community, our Son passing,  loss of our 26+ year home, loss of both our Jobs of over 20 years GONE! Poof, Covid, etc, etc we were so very blessed to jump on our new home when we did! This was 2019 right before Covid and the pandemic. It will settle down again, I hope, it almost has to but having a 24 year old daughter with a 2yr old renting in Paradise still where the fire was, with no inventory at all for people that need to stay around the area {Paradise & Magalia lost 14k homes in the 2018 camp fire}, renters are having to pay what ever is asked right now or someone else will. I hope to get her out here in Oregon someday but with the housing market the way it is now, I don't see them buying anytime soon and times a ticking! We pay 1089.00 a month for our 1830sq ft home and they rent a 900 sq ft apt for 990.00 a month, and that's cheap around there. STUPID!

I really feel for those out there struggling to meet just their housing demands, I hope this gets better. None of this stopped my buying of games though....lol 

37 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I believe the statement was Game Pass Subs spend more on gaming than non subs.  Could be wrong but that's a very different statement, and made awhile ago I think.

This was the historical statement by Phil:

xbox_game_pass.jpg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Microsoft VP of gaming says service has been "very healthy for our games" such as State of Decay 2, Forza Horizon 4

Nowadays, there's a bit more gray.  Many of Microsoft's franchises have increased player bases and interest as a result, eventually selling more than previous entries because of the cutural zeitgeist, but might get off to a slower start.  (Gears 5, for example)  You also have Matt Piscatella from NPD saying that games that review poorly get cannibalized, for sure.

If you look at it through the lens of CoD, it's hard to imagine that putting that franchise on there wouldn't lead to a deficit of sales.  But you could see more people throwing money at the DLC on the Xbox side.

EDIT: I might have to take that last paragraph back now... woah.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Nowadays, there's a bit more gray.  Many of Microsoft's franchises have increased player bases and interest as a result, eventually selling more than previous entries because of the cutural zeitgeist, but might get off to a slower start.  (Gears 5, for example)  You also have Matt Piscatella from NPD saying that games that review poorly get cannibalized, for sure.

If you look at it through the lens of CoD, it's hard to imagine that putting that franchise on there wouldn't lead to a deficit of sales.  But you could see more people throwing money at the DLC on the Xbox side.

EDIT: I might have to take that last paragraph back now... woah.

Yes, this was back in 2018, when Game Pass was what, 5-8 million subs?  It was in a very different place then.  I believe Game Pass can help push sales of some lesser known games if they pick up popularity by being on the service.  But I'm not sure I believe it'll outright increase the sales of games as a rule.  Now with Game Pass at 25 million, there is no way sales of Xbox 1st Party is going to be higher than prior to Game Pass for a lot of titles.

And the statement a few years ago where thye said Game Pass Subs spend more on gaming overall, I just took as Game Pass Subs are probably the more hardcore invested gamers that were just naturally spending more prior to being subs, and continue to spend more now.

xbox-game-pass-ultimate-a.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Exec says users continue to spend via in-game transactions and additional content…

Yup, if you’re not spending as much on new games, it stands to reason that you have more to spend on DLC.  There’s a bit of a slippery slope there on the business end, but thankfully Microsoft hasn’t gotten overzealous about their mtx.

Personally, I really don’t like the idea of paying for DLC for games I don’t permanently own.  Makes me wonder if an add on package of expansion passes, like Nintendo’s, would be a good way for Microsoft to add an additional tier.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yup, if you’re not spending as much on new games, it stands to reason that you have more to spend on DLC.  There’s a bit of a slippery slope there on the business end, but thankfully Microsoft hasn’t gotten overzealous about their mtx.

Personally, I really don’t like the idea of paying for DLC for games I don’t permanently own.  Makes me wonder if an add on package of expansion passes, like Nintendo’s, would be a good way for Microsoft to add an additional tier.

I like this idea!

19 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Or Guardians of the Galaxy

:dab:

GotG was a great game! Probably in my top 10 last year.

18 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I don't know why anyone is buying games anymore. Just...download them. 

PC gaming is a neat thing. 

I've found. 

Ummmm...  you're a bit behind the curve 😜 most of us have been doing this for 15 years now. 

Only physical games I buy are Nintendo, and thats because their account system and online service are terrible, and I don't trust them. 

• 2 weeks later...