Should 'maintenance fees' be illegal for bank accounts?

Fizzzzle

I've always found it stupid. You're going to charge me $12 or $15/month or whatever to manage my checking account when it's like... Managing my cash and investing it is your entire business model? Like, you basically agree to hold everyone's money and guarantee it will always be there, meanwhile you're kind of secretly gambling it. That's the exchange. When you start charging me for the privilege of doing that... How does that make sense and why do we accept it?

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

They charged me $13 for having less than $1000. It could vary by state, otherwise... Class action, anybody?

The only reason I have an account there is because to get a Medallion signature guarantee you have to be a member for six months. So I opened an account with like $100 in it so I could say I was a member to get the MSG, then planned to close it after. But they make you jump though even more hoops after that. So I still have the account. :|

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Banks now charge to deposit cash, usually once you go over $5k in a statement period. They get ya everywhere they can.

We are giving them money so they can make money off of our money. Their whole business model is "whatever happens with your money while we hold it is none of your business." And also lending. It's like... Why has this not been ruled illegal? Making money off of holding my money is what you should be paying ME for, not the other way around. I should be getting dividends, motherfucker, not charges.

• True 1

Yes, it should be. Overdraft fees should be looked at as well. though I think they were forced to tone down how they handled those, it used to be so predatory where accidentally going $5 over could results in hundreds of dollars in fees by the time you even notice.

Do you have direct deposit? I thought Chase waived the fees for direct deposit. I got rid of Citi bank and switched to Chase over this. I had Citi for like 15 years and they were charging me fees because I didn't have the minimum amount at the time so I switched to Chase, which worked out anyway since Chase is all over AZ while I haven't seen a single Citi location. 

19 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Its like 200 at my credit union. And they instantly charge you if you dip below it at any time even for a second. 

Plenty of credit unions that don't suck, they all share an ATM network and some of them will handle teller stuff for other credit unions too. If you're with your credit union because the physical location is convenient, see if they offer co banking so you can just use them as a front-end for a non shit CU. 

• Like 1

A perk of having my business accounts at the same bank as my personal accounts is they treat them as a single account for the purposes of fees and other benefits 

1 hour ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

It sounds like it just affects poor people with less than $1000.  

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

That’s the main ire I draw from these things, they are policies that particularly attack the people who actually need the money the most. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Do you have direct deposit? I thought Chase waived the fees for direct deposit. I got rid of Citi bank and switched to Chase over this. I had Citi for like 15 years and they were charging me fees because I didn't have the minimum amount at the time so I switched to Chase, which worked out anyway since Chase is all over AZ while I haven't seen a single Citi location. 

Direct deposit? The dude still gets paper checks that sometimes bounce.

• Haha 1

Never delt with this at my Credit Union, but in general yes this is bullshit. 

Bank fees are a poor tax. Just like check cashing fees, etc. 

Smaller packages of food, dry goods, pantry items are "cheaper" but you pay more per ounce or serving when buying the "cheapest" smallest package.

It's expensive to be poor. 

• Like 1