The craziest multiverse-based superhero movie of the year will NOT star Benedict Cumberbatch, update: and it just made $100 million globally

Everything Everywhere All At Once is simply sublime, and quite possibly the best experience I’ve had in a theater in years. 

The MCU has absolutely NOTHING on this movie when it comes to outrageous conceptualizations of character and world-building. 

Go see it. See it NOW. 

• Like 3

Not that there are any other movies like it. Here is an orgiastic work of slaphappy genius that doesn’t operate like a narrative film so much as a particle accelerator — or maybe a cosmic washing machine — that two psychotic 12-year-olds designed in the hopes of reconciling the anxiety of what our lives could be with the beauty of what they are.

It’s a machine powered by the greatest performance that Michelle Yeoh has ever given, pumped full of the zaniest martial arts battles that Stephen Chow has never shot, and soaked through with the kind of “anything goes” spirit that’s only supposed to be on TV these days.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-review-1234707051/

saw this today and it is FANTASTIC 

i will say that it IS weird. i think most of y’all would be fine but something to keep in mind if you are watching with somebody else who has more basic taste.  

but man everything works so fucking well. i said what the fuck several times in the best way possible. i might LOVE this movie. 

After seeing this, Swiss Army Man, and giving a lot of their short content a shot, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am hopelessly allergic to the Daniels’ brand. In full admiration of their creativity and originality, but I find their ”everything in the blender” maximalist approach to … everything to be very exhausting and distracting from the things that they seem to be aiming for, such as emotion and involvement and connection. The only really affecting moment for me was a late-game section centered around Waymond (Ke Huy Quan is the MVP of this movie) but even that went on for too long.

It took me embarrassingly long to see the Wong Kar-wai reference. That was nice.

5 hours ago, Zeluge said:

After seeing this, Swiss Army Man, and giving a lot of their short content a shot, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am hopelessly allergic to the Daniels’ brand. In full admiration of their creativity and originality, but I find their ”everything in the blender” maximalist approach to … everything to be very exhausting and distracting from the things that they seem to be aiming for, such as emotion and involvement and connection. The only really affecting moment for me was a late-game section centered around Waymond (Ke Huy Quan is the MVP of this movie) but even that went on for too long.

It took me embarrassingly long to see the Wong Kar-wai reference. That was nice.

I can understand this, to some extent.  I think the movie is maybe 15-20 minutes longer than it needs to be, with some content in the second act which seem a bit superfluous, or perhaps redundant.  And while it maintains the same frenetic pacing, that redundancy in certain elements loosens what had been, all things told, a fairly tight propulsiveness in many regards.

And I can see how the "turn everything up to 11" approach could be a bit exhausting, although I found it absolutely exhilirating.  There were times when I LOL'd harder than I can remember laughing out loud during a movie, and felt genuinely touched on several occasions late in the movie.  You can't help but feel the writers'/directors' passion for this project while watching the movie; there is an absolute joy to be seen in so many of the performances, from Yeoh, to Quan, to Hsu, Curtis, and Hong.  

I can understand what johny is saying about those with more basic/traditional tastes not getting into the movie, but by the same token, a part of me hurts at the idea of someone loving DR STRANGE MoM (for what I expect to see from it) but not being able to enjoy this.  

4 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

I can understand this, to some extent.  I think the movie is maybe 15-20 minutes longer than it needs to be, with some content in the second act which seem a bit superfluous, or perhaps redundant.  And while it maintains the same frenetic pacing, that redundancy in certain elements loosens what had been, all things told, a fairly tight propulsiveness in many regards.

And I can see how the "turn everything up to 11" approach could be a bit exhausting, although I found it absolutely exhilirating.  There were times when I LOL'd harder than I can remember laughing out loud during a movie, and felt genuinely touched on several occasions late in the movie.  You can't help but feel the writers'/directors' passion for this project while watching the movie; there is an absolute joy to be seen in so many of the performances, from Yeoh, to Quan, to Hsu, Curtis, and Hong.  

I can understand what johny is saying about those with more basic/traditional tastes not getting into the movie, but by the same token, a part of me hurts at the idea of someone loving DR STRANGE MoM (for what I expect to see from it) but not being able to enjoy this.  

it sucks but a lot of people have pretty vanilla taste. my buddy is a big movie guy like a lot of us and his wife is one of those people. she’s happy with romcoms and holiday themed movies. and she’s a great person, just not somebody to take to the movies with you for everything lol. 

Just got back from it. It rules. Go see it immediately. I think I need to see it again to really try and extract all they're trying to say with it, but I was perfectly happy just letting it wash over me this time. Michelle Yeoh is fantastic, and James Hong, given that he's 93 damn years old, kinda kills his part as well.

Loved it. I think I enjoyed the emotional aspects of it more than the insanity which says a lot since the insanity was great. 

I kinda think I read a little too much about this, my advice is to go in knowing as little as possible.

I saw it this afternoon in a nearly full theater and it's been a long while since I've seen an audience so thoroughly engaged by a film.

Maybe it could've been a little tighter in some spots, but that's such a minor quibble that it's hardly worth elaborating upon.  This was easily the most pure enjoyment I've had with a movie since perhaps The Death of Stalin.  I don't think I've seen a film that could take me from guffawing out loud and practically wiping a tear away within the span of a minute or two.

More of this type of filmmaking please!

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

• 3 months later...
Everything.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

The A24 movie starring Michelle Yeoh has crossed $100 million at the global box office.

Holy hot dog fingers! A24’s zany black comedy “Everything Everywhere All at Once” has cleared a major box office milestone, crossing $100 million in global ticket sales. It’s the first A24 movie to hit that box office benchmark.

Since the movie landed in theaters in March, the multiverse adventure turned into the rare indie sleeper hit at the box office on its journey to becoming A24’s highest-grossing film of all time. So far, “Everything Everywhere All at Once” has generated $68.9 million in the United States and another $31.1 million internationally, putting its global tally at $100 million.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The craziest multiverse-based superhero movie of the year will NOT star Benedict Cumberbatch, update: and it just made $100 million globally