Breaking: Iran claims responsibility for missile attack on US consulate/military base in Erbil (Iraqi Kurdistan)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Breaking: suspected Iranian/Iranian-backed militia missile/drone attack on US consulate in Erbil, Iraq (Kuridistan)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Breaking: suspected Iranian missile attack on US consulate/military base in Erbil, Iraq (Kuridistan)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Breaking: Iran claims responsibility for missile attack on US consulate/military base in Erbil, Iraq (Kuridistan)

So they deliberately hit nothing, right? It was just a "come at me, bro" move?

I don't follow things as closely as some of you, so forgive my ignorance, but I'm like obviously Iran wouldn't actively court war with the US.

Then again since the invasion of Ukraine I'm worried about world leaders being actively stupid.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

So they deliberately hit nothing, right? It was just a "come at me, bro" move?

I don't follow things as closely as some of you, so forgive my ignorance, but I'm like obviously Iran wouldn't actively court war with the US.

Then again since the invasion of Ukraine I'm worried about world leaders being actively stupid.

At this point I'm just assuming everyone elses missiles suck really badly.

44 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

At this point I'm just assuming everyone elses missiles suck really badly.

That's actually what I'm worried about. Like Russia has basically been revealed to be a paper tiger. Lord knows the state of most of China's equipment. Then you have the US like 'fuck around and find out.' I actually saw a Reddit post where someone was like 'what if none of Russia's nukes are actually functional?'

Basically there seems to be a lot of itchy trigger fingers that do want to find out.

35 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That's actually what I'm worried about. Like Russia has basically been revealed to be a paper tiger. Lord knows the state of most of China's equipment. Then you have the US like 'fuck around and find out.' I actually saw a Reddit post where someone was like 'what if none of Russia's nukes are actually functional?'

Basically there seems to be a lot of itchy trigger fingers that do want to find out.

I feel like its a safe bet at this point to believe that China started making its own equipment in house and stealing US designs cause the Russian ones sucked, but absolutely none of it is proven.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

The people posing those questions are just very, very dumb. If even 80% of Russia's missiles were duds...that still leads to near-total destruction of North American and European society. Great news, NYC only gets hit by 4 warheads instead of 20!

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The people posing those questions are just very, very dumb. If even 80% of Russia's missiles were duds...that still leads to near-total destruction of North American and European society. Great news, NYC only gets hit by 4 warheads instead of 20!

Countries in the Southern hemisphere would likely be able to stay out of the conflict, especially in South America and Africa.  There would be a realignment of power and economics, and I'm not sure what the outcome of that would be. Regardless, it would suck for everyone who survives.

42 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Countries in the Southern hemisphere would likely be able to stay out of the conflict, especially in South America and Africa.  There would be a realignment of power and economics, and I'm not sure what the outcome of that would be. Regardless, it would suck for everyone who survives.

Oh yeah, even in a total exchange with thousands of warheads, human civilization would live on. But even on continents most likely not affected by direct conflict (South America, Africa, Pacific Islands, etc) there would be a total cessation of imports from the northern hemisphere. So...that would mean immense strife in those places as well, and likely mass death in the short-term. It's possible that global civilization would eventually bounce back in some form, but not for a long time, and it wouldn't be guaranteed. There would also be worldwide increases in cancer, crops would fail at higher rates due to some form of nuclear winter, etc.

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh yeah, even in a total exchange with thousands of warheads, human civilization would live on. But even on continents most likely not affected by direct conflict (South America, Africa, Pacific Islands, etc) there would be a total cessation of imports from the northern hemisphere. So...that would mean immense strife in those places as well, and likely mass death in the short-term. It's possible that global civilization would eventually bounce back in some form, but not for a long time, and it wouldn't be guaranteed. There would also be worldwide increases in cancer, crops would fail at higher rates due to some form of nuclear winter, etc.

Already this summer is going to be spicy in the developing world given the grain price futures we see today

One issue that I've had with all the people on Twitter being like "where has all this support been for Yemen/Syria/etc" I'm like yes... I understand the inherent racism in a lot of those sentiments... But it objectively is not a 1-1 comparison. No major powers were ever going to go to war over Yemen. It sucks for the people of Yemen, but that is what it is. Major powers aren't going to go to war over Ukraine, either, but it matters more because it's another notch in the belt. I know that's no comfort to anyone in those countries, but like Ukraine isn't Poland 1939, yet

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Breaking: Iran claims responsibility for missile attack on US consulate/military base in Erbil (Iraqi Kuridistan)
11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

One issue that I've had with all the people on Twitter being like "where has all this support been for Yemen/Syria/etc" I'm like yes... I understand the inherent racism in a lot of those sentiments... But it objectively is not a 1-1 comparison. No major powers were ever going to go to war over Yemen. It sucks for the people of Yemen, but that is what it is. Major powers aren't going to go to war over Ukraine, either, but it matters more because it's another notch in the belt. I know that's no comfort to anyone in those countries, but like Ukraine isn't Poland 1939, yet

I mean, they are also internal conflicts, at least started that way, Ukraine was a straight up invasion.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Breaking: Iran claims responsibility for missile attack on US consulate/military base in Erbil (Iraqi Kurdistan)